Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    honorknight7honorknight7 Posts: 523
    Hey roaddevilray Welcome, kinda new here myself, you found a Great place to hang your hat !
  • Options
    reggie713reggie713 Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, to all the new newbs!!
  • Options
    MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭✭
    Welcome all new comers to the Forums
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Welcome folks. Bump
  • Options
    MarloweMarlowe Posts: 20
    I guess this is the place: Greetings. Just joined and hope to have a enjoyable experience here on cigar.com. I have been braving the bone numbing cold of New England this winter, but have missed only a few days outside on the cigar veranda. Again, greetings, and great to be part of the cigar.com community.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Marlowe:
    I guess this is the place: Greetings. Just joined and hope to have a enjoyable experience here on cigar.com. I have been braving the bone numbing cold of New England this winter, but have missed only a few days outside on the cigar veranda. Again, greetings, and great to be part of the cigar.com community.
    Nice to meet you and Welcome! This is a great place!

Aj
  • Options
    RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Marlowe:
    I know you said you were not new to smoking in your other post....what are your favorites right now??
  • Options
    Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Marlowe! Glad to have you aboard! Great folks here and tons of great cigar talk. I'm from the Pittsburgh area, where at the moment it's a balmy -9 degrees. Tried smoking on the back porch, but the cloud turned to a brick and dang near broke my toe when it hit the ground!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    I am enjoying Epernays in the larger formats and the Illusione 88 is very high on the list. Most recent box purchase was the Cruzado in the newest size. There is something about the flavor profile of Dion's cigars that just seems to work. My Father Le Bijou is also something I've developed a taste for.
  • Options
    Yes, I have to admit that smoking with gloves on is sometimes a challenge, and I do think the cold does diminish the overall smoking experience. Despite this, I try to make it out there most days. Spring will soon be here.
  • Options
    WaltBasilWaltBasil Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    Marlowe:
    Welcome! Great to have you here. Look around... see what happens... and try to fit in... Just watch out for the one they call Morgan. He bites when cornered.
  • Options
    Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. I'm Mark. I'm 23 yrs old. I recently started smoking cigars about 1.5 years ago. I'm an AJ Fernandez fanboy. I'm also trying to get into pipes but I'm have the hardest time packing them. I love golfing and doing financial analysis on companies. I'm a finance major, go figure. Anyway, I look forward to meeting y'all and learning a lot about cigars/pipes.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum and beware.....not all is what it seems.
  • Options
    MorganGeoMorganGeo Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WaltBasil:
    Marlowe:
    Welcome! Great to have you here. Look around... see what happens... and try to fit in... Just watch out for the one they call Morgan. He bites when cornered.
    True, just remember that little dogs (Walt) always bark the most. :)
  • Options
    Welcome Thanatos0320 :)
  • Options
    flowbeeflowbee Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    Hello everyone. I'm Mark. I'm 23 yrs old. I recently started smoking cigars about 1.5 years ago. I'm an AJ Fernandez fanboy. I'm also trying to get into pipes but I'm have the hardest time packing them. I love golfing and doing financial analysis on companies. I'm a finance major, go figure. Anyway, I look forward to meeting y'all and learning a lot about cigars/pipes.
    Welcome to the forum from one newb to another
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanatos0320:
    Hey Mark,

Stick with pipes! I started about a year and a half ago and it takes some practice... I really enjoy it now though. Finance stuff is cool. I got a bba in econ and finance and am getting a ph.D. in econ now. Do you do financial analyses for your job, or are you going to school?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Thank you everyone
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hey Mark,

Stick with pipes! I started about a year and a half ago and it takes some practice... I really enjoy it now though. Finance stuff is cool. I got a bba in econ and finance and am getting a ph.D. in econ now. Do you do financial analyses for your job, or are you going to school?
    Right now the only 2 pipe blends I've really liked were sunshine and midnight. They are on the aromatic side. I used to be an econ major but changed it when i realized how much i like finance. I'm in school (middle of my 3rd year). I meet with the department head on thursdays (he's a cfa) and we do the analysis together. He helps me more by explaining things than I actually do in analyzing companies. Does that last sentence make sense? It seems a little awkward
  • Options
    Thanatos0320:
    Thank you everyone
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hey Mark,

Right now the only 2 pipe blends I've really liked were sunshine and midnight. They are on the aromatic side. I used to be an econ major but changed it when i realized how much i like finance. I'm in school (middle of my 3rd year). I meet with the department head on thursdays (he's a cfa) and we do the analysis together. He helps me more by explaining things than I actually do in analyzing companies. Does that last sentence make sense? It seems a little awkward
    Gotcha! I really liked finance too, and considered a ph.D in that... but I was draw more to litigation consulting and that's what I want to do after I finish my degree. Any idea what you wanna do when you finish?

I assume those pipe blends are local B&M blends? One of my favorites is Orlik Golden Sliced... you should give it a try. It's a virginia flake. I found that it's really easy to pack and keep lit (you can rub it out into ribbon, fold it and stuff it... anything works). Sometimes aro's can be a little harder to keep burning because they have a higher moisture content than a non-aro blend.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Thank you everyone
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hey Mark,

Gotcha! I really liked finance too, and considered a ph.D in that... but I was draw more to litigation consulting and that's what I want to do after I finish my degree. Any idea what you wanna do when you finish?

I assume those pipe blends are local B&M blends? One of my favorites is Orlik Golden Sliced... you should give it a try. It's a virginia flake. I found that it's really easy to pack and keep lit (you can rub it out into ribbon, fold it and stuff it... anything works). Sometimes aro's can be a little harder to keep burning because they have a higher moisture content than a non-aro blend.
    Litigation consulting is nice. I'm on the fence about law school right now because of my family. I wanted to go to law school graduatde but my family (who are attorneys) are trying their hardest to convince me not to do it. I'd really like to be a stockbroker. I'm trying to get a job with raymond james right now actually. You're speaking in tongues about pipes. What's virginia flake? It seems you know a lot about pipes. I'll probably come to you for questions
  • Options
    Thanatos0320:
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Thank you everyone
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Hey Mark,

Litigation consulting is nice. I'm on the fence about law school right now because of my family. I wanted to go to law school graduatde but my family (who are attorneys) are trying their hardest to convince me not to do it. I'd really like to be a stockbroker. I'm trying to get a job with raymond james right now actually. You're speaking in tongues about pipes. What's virginia flake? It seems you know a lot about pipes. I'll probably come to you for questions
    I'd be happy to answer any questions! So, virginia is just a type of tobacco. It's typically sweet and a little mild. A flake is just a special way tobacco is processed. Loose tobacco is pressed with lots of pressure and sometimes heat. Much like taking powder and forming a pill, the tobacco forms a big block, which is typically then sliced into what looks like sticks of gum. If it's cut into blocks, it's called a "plug".

Hey, you'd make a good attorney! I spent lots of time explaining things like multiplication to some clients, lol! Maybe you could specialize in commercial damages/lost profits. I'm currently interested in learning more about anti-trust cases. Before going back to school, I worked on personal injury/wrongful death cases. We did maybe one or two lost profits cases; very interesting especially from a financial perspective.

I have heard that it can be hard to find a good job as an attorney, and of those who are in good companies many are just dying to take a case to court!
  • Options
    lemaster28lemaster28 Posts: 2
    My name is Bill.  I'm a Tattooist in Las Vegas .  I've been smoking pipes and cigars for a few years now.  Joined the forum about 2 months ago and just now getting around to posting.
  • Options
    EchambersEchambers Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome the the forums, Bill. (And everyone else I've missed)
    -- "There's something that doesn't make sense. Let's go poke it with a stick."
  • Options
    Welcome Bill. I'm in your shadow, Reno-Sparks :)
  • Options
    RedRex06RedRex06 Posts: 155
    Welcome, fellow new folk!
  • Options
    ShadowInTheMoonShadowInTheMoon Posts: 507 ✭✭
    Hello everyone. Been reading through forums for about a week now and finally figured out how to post... My name is Corbin, 21 and been into pipes for a few months and cigars here and there. Im a server at an iHop
    Two people with a common goal can accomplish many things. Two people with a common enemy can accomplish even more.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum Corbin. I'm Nathan, Pm me your address so that I can get your 1st post prize on its way to you!
  • Options
    Thanatos0320:
    Welcome, Mark! I'm fairly new here too, but long enough to tell you this is an amazing place with some very cool folks! Stick around and get to know the brothers here. You'll be glad you did.

I'm a finacial advisor with Pru, and absolutely love my job. Lemme know if you have any particular questions about a career in financial services.

BTW, what's the story behind your username? Thanatos = Greek personification of Death, yes? Just caught my attention as a student of Greek.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • Options
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:
    Welcome, Mark! I'm fairly new here too, but long enough to tell you this is an amazing place with some very cool folks! Stick around and get to know the brothers here. You'll be glad you did.

I'm a finacial advisor with Pru, and absolutely love my job. Lemme know if you have any particular questions about a career in financial services.

BTW, what's the story behind your username? Thanatos = Greek personification of Death, yes? Just caught my attention as a student of Greek.
    thank you, I'd love to have your help some time. When you say a student of greek do you mean mythology, Ancient or modern greek?
  • Options
    Thanatos0320:
    Puff_Dougie:
    Thanatos0320:

thank you, I'd love to have your help some time. When you say a student of greek do you mean mythology, Ancient or modern greek?
    Actually, I mean Koine Greek, which is what I studied in seminary (I'm also a minister).