Home Ratings & Reviews

More Reviews

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Two new ones:

La Flor Dominica Mysterio Perfecto - This stick had a nice, heavy feel, wonderfully constructed with a pre-light draw of clean tobacco and tea. The light gave spice and wood notes that opened up to more tobacco and tea with the spice fading a bit. It turned out to be a very strong cigar with a nice buzz factor. Not recommended to a newcomer or on an empty stomach. The burn was mostly straight with only a few touch ups and the ash held nicely for a perfecto.

Carinos Toro - Heavy and solid in hand, this cigar was nicely constructed with no prominent veins. There wasn't much to the pre-light draw. Maybe some tobacco. Lit with a burst of spice and cedar. The draw was a bit on the tight side with a punch but there was still plenty of smoke to be had. Not a bad cigar for the price but it had some burn issues. I'm sure after some rest in the humi, this will be a nice smoke for a lazy afternoon.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Love your reviews. Let's see some more! All the talk about the Camacho PE. :) Questionably my favorite cigar. I bought one of the 5 packs forever ago when ccom had the sale and should have bought fifty more at that price, lol. I still have two left after a few very special occasions this summer. I hope another special occasion comes up so I can smoke one!
    Thanks, Tat. The PE was a very nice and memorable smoke. I picked up the 5-er at the same time as well as a 3 pack just before that. I believe I still have the other 7 sitting around, patiently aging. I have so many celebratory smokes and will have a few nice occasions, including my birthday coming up to celebrate, so hopefully I'll have some reviews of those high-priced, special occasion smokes on here soon.

Thanks again for the feedback. Great to see people are getting something out of this.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    Two new ones:

La Flor Dominica Mysterio Perfecto - This stick had a nice, heavy feel, wonderfully constructed with a pre-light draw of clean tobacco and tea. The light gave spice and wood notes that opened up to more tobacco and tea with the spice fading a bit. It turned out to be a very strong cigar with a nice buzz factor. Not recommended to a newcomer or on an empty stomach. The burn was mostly straight with only a few touch ups and the ash held nicely for a perfecto.

Carinos Toro - Heavy and solid in hand, this cigar was nicely constructed with no prominent veins. There wasn't much to the pre-light draw. Maybe some tobacco. Lit with a burst of spice and cedar. The draw was a bit on the tight side with a punch but there was still plenty of smoke to be had. Not a bad cigar for the price but it had some burn issues. I'm sure after some rest in the humi, this will be a nice smoke for a lazy afternoon.
    Any thought's if the mysterio is worth the expense, are they tastier than the normal line; are they like the chistles? I like the toro's a lot and in fact have a box, but the mysterio's are rather spendy. I'm still enticed.
    Funny you ask. I actually just picked up a chisel and smoked it last weekend to compare it to the mysterio and yes, the mysterio was a bit better. Lasted a bit longer, though that chisel lasted me longer than I expected it to for its size.

I found that the flavors were a bit more pronounced in the mysterio and the punch really hit you, whereas the chisel just kind of came at you all at once and got a bit muddy in the flavor department and didn't even have the same kick as the mysterio.

Worth the extra expense? Sure, if you can get them at a reasonable price (I paid almost $18) and you're only picking up one or two just to try it.
    damn you Rob, you were too slow... lol. I actually locked in a box of each for 70 bucks each and free shipping with 2 chistles. I wish Ccom had some in stock as I would have ordered here but I figure the 10 dollar difference covered the shipping. My shop has the regular for about 17ish, but they didn't have any oscuro's. Seemed to be hard to find, that's why I had to order both wrappers. I wish they came with 10, but oh well. Have you heard or had of the ligero IV? I saw some at the shop and didn't know squat about it.....
    sorry, Squirrel. I do have some new reviews though.

Tatuaje Red Label corona - This cigar showed great construction, the cap had some spice to it and upon lighting, opened up with cedar, pepper and spice. The spice faded a tad by the midway point, while the cedar stayed. This was joined by some clean tobacco notes and well placed, slightly bitter notes dominating the remainder of the cigar.

La Aurora Barrel Aged - Churchill - I picked up a box of these about a year ago and recently realized, I've given/traded at least half of them away and haven't smoked a single one from that box! Needless to say, I had to pull one of these out and see how a year of age faired with this cigar. It lit with notes of oak, cedar and spice dominating the first inch or so, mellowing to a leather and oak core with sugar cane undertones. A slightly uneven burn was a bit of a nuisance, but well worth it for the beautifully consistent, yet complex flavors. The draw was relatively easy, but not much smoke was produced with each draw.

Rocky Patel Summer 08 Robusto - This cigar opened with a papery note that quicly gave way to roasted nuts and a caramel sweetness. The burn was mosly even, requiring no touch-ups and the cigar produced tons of smoke. This turned out to be a perfect "start of the day" cigar.

La Aurora Preferido Emerald Tubo - With one year in my humidor, I think I expected more from this cigar. It started off rich, meaty and earthy with notes of cedar, pepper and spice with a dry finish. Moving in towards the bulk of the perfecto, I started to get harsh, bitter notes that weren't quite as enjoyable as I remember this cigar the first time I had it.
    hmm, I feel the same for the RP summer 09, a good stick. Never got the 08's. The la aurora's, have you had any others? I'm thinking about picking up the sampler.
    I actually picked up the 08's here from ccom. They're in the clearance section. I think I paid 4 bucks each for robustos. Worth a try.

And which Auroras? I've had the sapphire, gold, and emerald (I have the ruby, platinum and another gold resting now) and enjoyed them all. Just for some reason, this last emerald wasn't quite as good as I remember the first one. For the right price, I'd say they're worth a try. As for the barrel aged, I'm a huge fan. I've had two churchills and a #4. The churchills were both great. Well worth every penny.
    I was going to get a sampler of them auroras to see which one's I like. They are really nice looking btw. I like the barrel aged, though the robusto's are more up my alley.
    Perdomo 10th Aniv. Criollo Torpedo - This stick gave off a very sweet, almost floral pre-light smell. It lit easily and gave off sweet, toasty notes of nuts, molases and sweet cedar. After about an inch, I noted more leather and wood with the sweetness hanging on, but less pronounced. A bittersweet cocoa note dominated the final third.

Perdomo ESV Maestro Tubo (Cameroon) - With about a year and a half of age, this heavy, solidly constructed cigar showed a mellow pre-light scent of hay, tobacco and pressed flowers. A punch cut was enough to give a perfect draw that upon lighting, displayed notes of wood and hay with beautiful blue clouds of sweet, soft-smelling, smoke on the resting cigar. The draw was perfect and produced volumes of thick, creamy but delicate smoke consisting of baked bread and a hint of vanilla joining the initial hay note with just a touch of black pepper through the nose. These cigars are a bit pricey, but if they can be found for $10-12 a piece, I feel they're well worth the price and some time in the humidor.
    Picked up a 10 pack of the Padilla 68 Oscuro Salomons. I really like the salomon shape and tend to absolutely LOVE oscuro wrappers. Everyone's got their thing. Pre-light, this cigar smelled of barnyard and tobacco. A light sheen covered the dark, almost black wrapper and the triple band (standard Padilla 68 double-layered band and a secondary Limited Edition 09 band) made this cigar absolutely beautiful to look at. After lighting, I didn't get as much spice, pepper or umph as I had expected. It was actually a very mellow, toasty barnyard/tobacco taste. I can't put my finger on all the notes I found in this cigar, just that I really loved it. Draw, burn and taste were all excellent. Kinda wish I picked up more...
    Rob1110:
    Picked up a 10 pack of the Padilla 68 Oscuro Salomons. I really like the salomon shape and tend to absolutely LOVE oscuro wrappers. Everyone's got their thing. Pre-light, this cigar smelled of barnyard and tobacco. A light sheen covered the dark, almost black wrapper and the triple band (standard Padilla 68 double-layered band and a secondary Limited Edition 09 band) made this cigar absolutely beautiful to look at. After lighting, I didn't get as much spice, pepper or umph as I had expected. It was actually a very mellow, toasty barnyard/tobacco taste. I can't put my finger on all the notes I found in this cigar, just that I really loved it. Draw, burn and taste were all excellent. Kinda wish I picked up more...
    I think you sent me a few, I enjoyed it. I think it will be better with some rest. after the first ash, it got a little harsh and went out two times. Still a good cigar.
    Haven't updated this in a while and realized I never posted my review of the Forbidden X.

My cousin was in town for Thanksgiving (he's in school in Florida), so we decided to hit the cigar bar. I was kind of celebrating my recent birthday, the holidays and various other little things.....ok, I was looking for excuses to bring one of my "special occasion" cigars. Hey, sometimes you just have to find a reason to celebrate. I decided on a Fuente Forbidden X from the Fuente Story gift set from 08.

This cigar was beautifully constructed with an even more ornate, beautiful band than the standard Opus X band. Unlit, it had a sweet smell from the calvados barrel aging, almost like apple brandy (duh). When lit, a similar sweet note was present on every draw. I expected some spice and pepper, since after all, this is another blend on the Opus X series, but none at all. Instead, the profile was dominated by that sweet note, followed by complex wood notes. Not your typical cedar, occasional oak, but a very complex, cognac/brandy type of wood note.

The one negative was that the wrapper cracked on me about half way down the cigar, but it burned fairly well through that. The wrapper seemed brittle and someone got a little over zealous with the glue in the factory when applying the band. I waited as long as I could to take the band off, but it still claimed a good chunk of wrapper with it. A very smooth, mellow, creamy cigar over all. Would I recommend it? Sure if price isn't an issue, it's worth it to try one. Knowing that, however, I'm not sure how I feel about the other 4 I have left, knowing I spent about 40 bucks a piece on them.
    Been wanting to smoke one of mine, great write up there Rob. Hey if you want to lose those other 4 hit me up, I would love to add a couple more to my humi! hehe... I am supposedly getting a box of lost city opus's so maybe we could work out a trade...
    Recently took a trip to the local cigar bar with my girl and some good friends. One friend in particular that I haven't seen in a while, so between that and the holidays coming up, I wanted to celebrate with a few good smokes. I brought with me one of my Fuente Fuente Opus X cigars that have been resting for some time now (about a year or a little more) with the intentions of picking something up while there.

First, I decided to grab a Pepin Garcia Cuban Classic Robusto out of their walk-in after recommending it to one of my buddies (turned out there were 3 of us smoking that cigar at that table). For those of you who haven't smoked one of Pepin's blends, do so. They tend to be wonderful, complex smokes that typically start off with a handful of spice and eventually mellow out. The Cuban Classic takes that and really brings the spice to the table throughout most of the cigar. Not an overwhelming spice, but subtle and blended enough to make it very enjoyable. Some sweet wood notes also take part here. With an even burn, tons of flavor, lots of rich smoke, this one is highly recommended.

After some pizza, garlic bread and half of my cognac, I pulled out the FFOX. The unlit smell was a wonderful barnyard smell of sweet tobacco and hay. Not as much spice on the cap as I'd expected, but that could be do to a year of rest. The cigar performed absolutely perfectly in every way. Tons of smoke, slow, even burn, NEVER got hot or harsh - all the way down to the nub. The flavors were of subtle spice, sweet cedar, leather and that tobacco/hay barnyard that I got on the pre-light. Overall an incredible experience of a cigar that I didn't want to end.

Good Friends, good drinks, good pizza, good smokes and good conversations. It was a fun night. Happy Holidays everyone!
    It's been way too long since I've posted a review. I've had a couple decent cigars in the past few months, but today the weather was actually nice enough when I got home from work to sit outside with a stick. I reached for the Diesel sent to me by Squirrel (thanks, bro) that I've been dying to try. I've heard a lot about these cigars and all of it seems to be good, but I tried not to let that get my expectations up too much.

Pre-light, the cigar didn't really bring much. I got some tobacco and an earthy scent, but not much more. It clipped and toasted perfectly and opened up with beautiful notes of wood, spice and tobacco. Some cocoa notes were in there as well and after about an inch, I started getting this sweet taste (more of an overall sweetness on the tongue with no discernable flavor) that balanced out the cigar nicely. Toward the last inch or so, I started getting some harsh/bitter notes, so I ended up putting it out there. Overall, it was a great cigar - medium in body (I had it on an empty stomach and didn't feel anything - and I haven't been smoking much lately).
    Rob1110:
    It's been way too long since I've posted a review. I've had a couple decent cigars in the past few months, but today the weather was actually nice enough when I got home from work to sit outside with a stick. I reached for the Diesel sent to me by Squirrel (thanks, bro) that I've been dying to try. I've heard a lot about these cigars and all of it seems to be good, but I tried not to let that get my expectations up too much.

Pre-light, the cigar didn't really bring much. I got some tobacco and an earthy scent, but not much more. It clipped and toasted perfectly and opened up with beautiful notes of wood, spice and tobacco. Some cocoa notes were in there as well and after about an inch, I started getting this sweet taste (more of an overall sweetness on the tongue with no discernable flavor) that balanced out the cigar nicely. Toward the last inch or so, I started getting some harsh/bitter notes, so I ended up putting it out there. Overall, it was a great cigar - medium in body (I had it on an empty stomach and didn't feel anything - and I haven't been smoking much lately).
    I had the same problem near the end of the cigar though I was about an inch and half or so. Nice wriete up btw.
    thanks. And thanks again for the cigar(s). Even with the bitterness, I really enjoyed the cigar up to that point. Seems like it may age out in time, but still a solid stick as is.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    I had a Diesel last week and picked up the flavors you did as well. I really loved the sweetness to the cigar that helped to balance out the powerful flavors. Mine was perfect to the nub, though. Think I only have two or three left... gotta get more!
    You guys seem to pick up the same flavors I do, though I wasn't all that impressed with it. I'll have to give it another run in a bit. I have 2 left I think.
    Just finished a Gurkha Triple Ligero Special Edition 2002 (not sure if the SE 02 means anything as I haven't looked into it enough). The cigar started out with a well balanced bouquet of bold flavors of cedar, earth and a touch of leather with a dry, papery aftertaste. Half way through, a strong bitter note began to dominate the profile and eventually left a very ashy (think cigarette ashtray) aftertaste. Overall, not as impressed as I had hoped or was in the first few inches of the cigar.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Just curious..... what price point did you get it at?
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    It was given to me in a trade, so I can't say. I have one or two more from trades as well. I'll probably re-visit it before I completely dismiss it as a bad cigar, but I have a feeling it was just the blend that I didn't really like.
    Interesting, I usually enjoy TL from gurkha. I've never had the SE though.. never heard of it.
    Had a few cigars recently, but only one that I don't see reviews for too often so I figured I'd put one up. A friend of mine went to Vegas a few months ago and brought me back a Casa Fuente house cigar (Torpedo/Belicoso). I let this one rest for a while in the humi but didn't want to give it too long. I know he's going back in June and offered to pick up more, so I figured I should try it. Glad I did without having him buy me more.

This cigar was very nicely constructed with a beautiful ornate band (what else would you expect from the Fuentes for a limited edition cigar) aside from a small piece of wrapper missing under the ribbon on the foot of the cigar. The unlit smell was sweet tobacco and slight baking spice. After clipping the head, the pre-light draw gave off a wonderful taste, distinctly of pumpkin oatmeal cookies. Something I'd never tasted before in an unlit cigar, I was excited to get this going. Big mistake. Once I lit this cigar, all I got was......paper? Absolutely no taste whatsoever. I was patient and waited until about the half way point before I finally gave up, tossed it and poured myself a glass of wine.
    Rob1110:
    Had a few cigars recently, but only one that I don't see reviews for too often so I figured I'd put one up. A friend of mine went to Vegas a few months ago and brought me back a Casa Fuente house cigar (Torpedo/Belicoso). I let this one rest for a while in the humi but didn't want to give it too long. I know he's going back in June and offered to pick up more, so I figured I should try it. Glad I did without having him buy me more.

This cigar was very nicely constructed with a beautiful ornate band (what else would you expect from the Fuentes for a limited edition cigar) aside from a small piece of wrapper missing under the ribbon on the foot of the cigar. The unlit smell was sweet tobacco and slight baking spice. After clipping the head, the pre-light draw gave off a wonderful taste, distinctly of pumpkin oatmeal cookies. Something I'd never tasted before in an unlit cigar, I was excited to get this going. Big mistake. Once I lit this cigar, all I got was......paper? Absolutely no taste whatsoever. I was patient and waited until about the half way point before I finally gave up, tossed it and poured myself a glass of wine.
    ouch, the pre-light sounds yummy. Must have been a bad stick or something, you should have kept it, mailed it back and demand a stick or two for compensation.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    Interesting, I usually enjoy TL from gurkha. I've never had the SE though.. never heard of it.
    I think the band that says Triple Ligero also has SE 2002 in small print.
    Picked up two of the GOF DC 06 with the lighters on here fairly recently and have been staring at them ever since. Finally lit one up yesterday and was completely disappointed with this stick. Maybe I got a bad one in the bunch, but The wrapper was cracked in a few spots before lighting and cracked and split even further while I was smoking it. Not what I would expect from a Fuente super premium.

On top of bad performance, the flavors just weren't there. It started off ok with some wood and slight sweet notes. Surprisingly, no spice in there at all. About an inch in...bitter. This continued until I finally just put it out and tossed it in total disgust and disappointment about half-way through.

This puts me at 0-3 with Fuente super premiums latley (Casa Fuente was completly flavorless and the Lost City just lost my attention and failed to wow). Not looking good. I've also noticed the latest opuses that I've had just weren't nearly as good as the older ones I have stashed away. What the hell are those guys doing? Have they given up on quality now that they have the undivided attention (not to mention, wallets) of more than half of the cigar world?
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Rob1110:
    Picked up two of the GOF DC 06 with the lighters on here fairly recently and have been staring at them ever since. Finally lit one up yesterday and was completely disappointed with this stick. Maybe I got a bad one in the bunch, but The wrapper was cracked in a few spots before lighting and cracked and split even further while I was smoking it. Not what I would expect from a Fuente super premium.

On top of bad performance, the flavors just weren't there. It started off ok with some wood and slight sweet notes. Surprisingly, no spice in there at all. About an inch in...bitter. This continued until I finally just put it out and tossed it in total disgust and disappointment about half-way through.

This puts me at 0-3 with Fuente super premiums latley (Casa Fuente was completly flavorless and the Lost City just lost my attention and failed to wow). Not looking good. I've also noticed the latest opuses that I've had just weren't nearly as good as the older ones I have stashed away. What the hell are those guys doing? Have they given up on quality now that they have the undivided attention (not to mention, wallets) of more than half of the cigar world?

Oh no! I just picked up a 5er of these from Ccom.
    I went to a B&M today and saw them for $3 cheaper per stick at the B&M (crazy).
    Now this
    This is ominous!