Home Ratings & Reviews

Reviews from the Squirrel

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I thought I'd put a thread up with my reviews. Here are some links to some others:
#77 The Anejo Shark
#46 Anejo
ITC triple barber pole
Now to start this I'm going to give some more praise for the Olivia V Maduro.

Olivia V Maduro
This cigar was a limited release in 09 and is one of the best cigars I have smoked. This thing is wrapped in a dark maduro wrapper and comes only in a torpedo shape. It's a little over 6 inches and about a 52 ring gauge. Pre light draw brings some sweetness along with pepper and coffee. Upon lighting it and the first few puffs I get a lot of smoke, coffee, creme, tobacco, and subtle pepper and cocoa. More flavor came through the nose (as I have noticed more with maduros). The burn stayed steady throughout the cigar, the ash was tight and firm as well. The aroma wasn't bad, though not as sweet as my Wife likes. The cigar wasn't very strong at first but picks up throughout. The pepper that was light at the start builds up, as does the coffee, tobacco, and hints of cinnamon and chocolate. The cigar took me about a little over 1.5 hours. I smoke slow so maybe faster for some. This was a complex cigar and out of the 4 I have smoked I've picked up different tastes each time but that's probably just me. If you can get your hands on these, if you like the V's and like a complex, meaty cigar GET IT.

Comments

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    This cigar was a limited release in 09
    AHEM...'08. If memory serves, and it usually does, they landed on the loading docks in November. I bought up a box quick as could be and then regretted not getting two. Damn good cigar. Looking forward to lighting one up once they hit the one year mark...not looking forward to drooling over the rest of them for another year.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jozer set me straight, so I stand corrected, 08 is when they landed.... Though I wonder why they are stated as 09 release? Was another batch made in 09? I thought only 1 batch was made.
    I wonder why they would say that....maybe because they were released so late in 2008 that they were considered to be released for 2009? Damn cigar makers and their fuzzy math.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    only one batch made and all the boxes have 2008 on them. They probably held on to them and aged them 6 months in the box before shipping/releasing them.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I heard that Oliva was going to release some more of these. Not sure if they were rolled in 08 or are new for 09.
    5 Vegas Limitada 09

---------------------------

I finally got my hands on one, thank you Rob; and at first I was really excited but sadly the cigar was less than expected. I enjoy 5 vegas cigars, most of them are top notch and cheap but with the limitada releases it'**** or miss. I enjoy the 08, didn't like the 07, but enjoyed the 06. The 09 has a rasin aroma pre light, which made me uber excited. After cutting, and taking a few light pre-light puffs, I tasted some bit of rasin, tobacco, cream, and some earth. Once lighting it, the rasin went away, the cream, tobacco and earth stayed. Some pepper crept in, but that was all there was. The cigar had some burn problems all the way through, though worse after the first ash (about 1/2 way down). There was some bitterness near the end, and though the cigar wasn't bad, it just wasn't as good as the 08 and more expensive too.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, bro. I think I got those on a ccom daily deal at like $26 for 10. Actually, I think that's today's deal. Either way, I thought the cigar was ok, but too strong for its own good and needs some time to age. I think in a year or two, this will be a much better cigar. I think I sent you two of them for that purpose. I did send you two, didn't I?
    yup, I'll light it up down the road. I just enjoyed the 08 much more.
    rwheelwright:
    I heard that Oliva was going to release some more of these. Not sure if they were rolled in 08 or are new for 09.
    Yeah so the 08 was the one I just reviewed and we all had already got. The 09's have just been released recently... All too confusing..
    Review for the Gurkha Empire series I:
    Gurkha Empire I

Now here's a cigar that I've been wanting to try very badly, and since it's the day before halloween I think it's a great time. The Camacho Liberty 08!!! I bought 3 of these a while back, and 3 of the 05's (which I hear are the best of the liberties). I recently found a box of the 08's and need to know if I like the cigar before biting on the box. These 08's come in coffin boxes and wrapped in paper. Adding to the beautiful presentation, the cigar is equally amazing. It is wrapped with two different wrappers which give it a beautiful barber pole and add to it the fantastic band and band on the foot it is without a doubt one of the most eye popping cigars I've ever seen. Now these are a bit pricey and also it is a special edition so my hopes are high.

The pre light smell of the cigar is of cedar and wood. After punching the cigar I tasted some ceder and sweetness. Once lighting the cigar and after a few puffs I was hit with a sweet cream, cedar and butterness. It's hard to describe but it was one hell of a start. With plumes of smoke rising from the foot of the cigar and filling my office my wife wondered in and commented the smell, so that's always a plus. The cigar stayed consistent throughout and left a mild layer of sweetness in my mouth. The burn was one of the more even of the barber poles I've smoked and it didn't go out.

One of the greatest things about this cigar is the consistency it gave. Throughout the cigar it stayed steady with a creamy/buttery taste with wood/ceder and some coffee notes. Through the nose I could pick up a small amount of strength, like a dash of pepper with the deep rich creami-ness. Overall I was very impressed with this cigar and if you want a creamy cigar that doesn't bring a lot of power this would be a great one to get. I love strong cigars but milder cigars are always nice to have too. They are a bit pricey, but given the sheer beauty of the cigar, the presentation and the taste it's well worth it in my opinion to at least get one or two for a special event or holiday. I myself have to convince the wife to let me buy a box....
    I was able to get my hands on a Gurkha Empire III

This cigar looks amazing, and the Costa Rican Maduro wrapper makes me really want to light this puppy up. I'm not too familiar with this wrapper, not sure if I've ever had it, but it sounds rare. This cigar has Dominican and Honduran Fillers which is a double plus for me! The description of this cigar states that it has a rich core of chocolaty goodness finished by a toasty and sweet finish and it is mostly correct. This cigar was tastier than the Empire I and from the get go had a chocolate/sweet/creamy/woody taste and a Sweet Aroma. The cigar Had a good even burn and a nice draw with lots of smoke. The cigar wasn't super complex but it did have a LOT of flavor. Lots of chocolate and coffee and sweetness to it, along with some tobacco, and wood. After the first ash (a little over half way) the cigar got a little harsh, but I just touched the sides with my lighter and it got back on track (maybe it was burning out). Again the sweetness was there but a bit more strength came through. The harshness came back near the last inch and a half and I tried to take it really slow and it helped a bit but eventually I put it down. I have to say, that this cigar was damn good, and with some rest these will probably really open up and give you a great tasty cigar. I will have to pick up a box sooner or later and being a new blend I was a bit unsure how it would stack up. The micro batches weren't fantastic, but still decent, but this guy blew my expectations up. I would say it could be a cross between a triple ligero and doble maduro from Gurkha's earlier blends. Either way, if you are on the fence about the Empires, give the III the first go.
    Nice reviews. I agree on the liberty 08. I bought one for aging and ended up buying another to smoke. Just wanted to be sure I liked it before I aged one for a long time. Very nice cigar, but a bit pricey.

Looking forward to trying the empires as well.
    I was looking for info on the 2009 release of the Serie V maduro and found a side-by-side comparison picture. Supposedly the new release is better than the 2008 version, let's hope so since the '08 was pretty good.

• bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    j0z3r:
    I was looking for info on the 2009 release of the Serie V maduro and found a side-by-side comparison picture. Supposedly the new release is better than the 2008 version, let's hope so since the '08 was pretty good.

...ok now the question is...how can I get my hands on some 09s?
    Start cruising your local B&M? I don't know, they're available but I don't know where yet. Maybe only on the local level, hopefully we'll see them on ccom soon.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Great cigar...I have a box of the 08 just waiting to be enjoyed.
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    bbc020:
    j0z3r:

...ok now the question is...how can I get my hands on some 09s?
    No I disagree I believe the question is how can brink get his hands on some '09s.
    Search around, they are landing. Ccom probably will get them in soon, hopefully at a good price.
    I've been dying to try this especially after loving the III so much.
    Gurkha Empire VI (Brazilian wrappers hug a robust blend of Dominican Piloto Cubano and Nicaraguan ligero tobaccos)
    The cigar looks amazing as with the other empires. The pre-light smell is of peat and cedar. After lighting it I get more peat, wood, some coffee and subtle sweetness. Overall I wasn't overly impressed with it. The taste wasn't that flavorful for me. The burn was good, as was the draw.
    Being a little dissapointed with the VI, I move on to the Empire IV. Another dark wrapper cigars, again with a fantastic construction and gorgeous presentation.
    Gurkha Empire IV (A jet-black Brazilian Arapiraca wrapper conceals a bold recipe of Nicaraguan and Dominican long-leaf ligeros)
    The pre light smell was something I really couldn't nail down but it was pleasant. Moving on to lighting this bad boy and toasting it..... After the first few puffs I was loaded with flavor, some coffee, cedar, spice, leather, and a chocolate sweetness. The draw was tight on this cigar and my usual loosening tricks weren't working so I stuck with it. The flavors changed from time to time between the cedar, spice, and coffee/chocolate. The sweetness was a great bonus as it melded the other flavors wonderfully. I got more of a cedary spice/sweet kick through the nose while a tobacco and coffee taste lingered in the mouth. The burn was even but had a strong ash, even when I noticed the ash getting a bit long and not wanting it to fall on my chair I tried to knock it off but it wouldn't budge. After a while longer it finally gave but it stayed perfectly intact when I got it in the ash tray. Going into the last half the cigar started to go out a bit, but a quick touch up and it was good as new. The flavors moved to more of a spice but it soon backed off and more of the sweet cocoa flavors moved in. Overall this cigar was pretty good, however I would like to have another go at it with less tight of a draw as it really impeded the enjoyment. The aroma of this cigar was nice, but not as sweet as the III. I might have to put this 2nd out of the Empires I've had thus far.
    The Empire V is really the only light looking cigar out of the bunch, and since I love the Turk so much I'm hoping this lives up to the high standard of the "creamy" gurkha I enjoy so much.
    Gurkha Empire V (A complex mixture of long-fillers from Honduras, Nicaragua, and Mexico mingle within a silky Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper)
    The pre light smell of the cigar is sweet with cedar. The construction is down right beautiful as is the presentation. After lighting it and the first few puffs I'm overwhelmed with a sweet flavor along with cedar, coffee, butter, nuts and a tad bit of spice. The cigar starts out very flavorful, and continues all the way to the end. The burn stayed even, the ash tight, and the smoke was plentiful (aroma was nice as well). This was a great smoke, and for the price it may well beat out the turk. Though I enjoyed both. I may even go as far to say I enjoyed it more than the 5 vegas gold. The size of the Empires are just right in my opinion and this cigar comes in high on the list of creamy smokes I have enjoyed.
    Finally finishing the Empire series from gurkha and my non stop smoking weekend (though maybe another cigar later....)
    Gurkha Empire II (6-year-old combination of Cuban-seed long-leaf ligeros from the Dominican resides within a dark Connecticut wrapper)
    Let me first start out by saying that when I learned that yet another monster blend was coming out from Gurkha I was a bit hesitant. The Micro batches weren't bad and though I only had 2 of the 4, I was satisfied with my choice on the 2 I had bought boxes of. They seemed to have blended a bit since I first had them when they arrived which certainly added to their flavor. The Empire series, though a whopping 6 cigars in the line are actually quite good. I thoroughly enjoyed the III and IV (though I want to have another to be sure), and while the others weren't as impressive they were still good cigars. The last of the 6 is now under the burner and I'll stop stalling and get to it!

Pre-light this cigar has a very different smell than the rest, but still has a bit of ceder to it. The construction is wonderful and the double bands make it really shine. After lighting the cigar and puffing away I got loads of smoke and a very nice blend of flavors. Coffee, a sweetness, almost sugary and buttery, cream, a touch of pepper and cedar. There was another maybe more that I can't describe, but it sure was different than what I have yet from any of these cigars. I really noticed it through the nose and while holding the smoke in my mouth getting ready to push some smoke through my nose. A very yummy taste. The conni wrapper seems to really blend well with the ligero leaves and leaves a lasting impression. The aroma isn't as sweet as say the III but it still is a nice one, so much so my wife complimented me on it and she's been doing that a lot the last couple of smokes...
    After the first ash, I noticed some strength starting to brew and it lasted a bit but soon subsided. Now it's not a strong pepper or knock your socks off but from the start the cigar was mild so a little introduction of pepper and wood mixed things up a bit. Soon after, the sweet cream, coffee, nutty (almost roasted peanut) and hints of chocolate flavors came pushing back and from then on. Now this cigar is a mild cigar but FULL of flavor (complex even) and that is something that is very welcomed. This cigar would probably be my favorite cigar out of the lot but I really must give it a tie with the Empire III. Either way, I am sold on the II, and the III. And while these cigar's are rather cheap at the moment it makes them a no brainier.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Nice review Pheebs nice review ...
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So maybe I should keep my backordered box of Empire III!!!! IDK why it is taking so long but I was about ready to cancel it and try to get singles of all of them.
    I dunno, they'll show up. The III's are good. I'm planning on getting boxes of the II, III, and maybe IV...
    Nice reviews. Looking forward to trying some of those. Unfortunately, the smoking weather is totally gone around here and I don't have a place to smoke indoors aside from local shops.
    Gurkha Red Dragon (Cameroon Wrapper, Cameroon Binder, Costa Rican Filler.)
    One thing gurkha is not short on is its blends and the DRAGON line has many. 1st release black dragon, the "now" black dragon, The Dragon Fury, The Dragon Fire, The Green Dragon, and now the Red Dragon. First off let me say that I don't think the Black is all that great, though it isn't bad. I enjoyed the Dragon Fire, the Fury, and the Green Dragon, so when I heard of the Red Dragon landing I had to get it. Packaged the same as the Green but with Red fabric to give a fantastic presentation.
    This cigar has an interesting smell pre light and I just can't pin it. After lighting, and a few puffs I am immediately impressed. This cigar is longer than I like (sadly all the dragons are minus the fire) but wow what a bunch of flavors and lots of smoke. This cigar leaves a sweet creamy-ness in your mouth and it is fantastic. There are a lot of flavors here, nut, coffee, cocoa, butter, ceder, wood, chocolate, and others that I just can't describe, trust me this thing has a lot of flavor. Moving into the half way mark some zest comes in, a bit of pepper to collide with the sweetness. The cigar was flavorful all the way through and the burn stayed constant. I haven't had a green dragon in a while but this cigar makes me want to light one up just to compare them. Going off of memory, I think I like this Red Dragon a tad bit more, and I might have to get another box. At any rate, these guys are terrific and if you like smooth creamy smokes here's another to consider. BTW some info on this cigar says it's a strong cigar, so unless I'm out of my mind, this guy isn't. But then again I don't think that opus's are too strong either... If anyone wants me to do a review of the Green Dragon let me know, as I did a brief one but can't find it.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    phobicsquirrel:
    One thing gurkha is not short on is its blends and the DRAGON line has many. 1st release black dragon, the "now" black dragon, The Dragon Fury, The Dragon Fire, The Green Dragon, and now the Red Dragon. First off let me say that I don't think the Black is all that great, though it isn't bad. I enjoyed the Dragon Fire, the Fury, and the Green Dragon, so when I heard of the Red Dragon landing I had to get it. Packaged the same as the Green but with Red fabric to give a fantastic presentation.
    This cigar has an interesting smell pre light and I just can't pin it. After lighting, and a few puffs I am immediately impressed. This cigar is longer than I like (sadly all the dragons are minus the fire) but wow what a bunch of flavors and lots of smoke. This cigar leaves a sweet creamy-ness in your mouth and it is fantastic. There are a lot of flavors here, nut, coffee, cocoa, butter, ceder, wood, chocolate, and others that I just can't describe, trust me this thing has a lot of flavor. Moving into the half way mark some zest comes in, a bit of pepper to collide with the sweetness. The cigar was flavorful all the way through and the burn stayed constant. I haven't had a green dragon in a while but this cigar makes me want to light one up just to compare them. Going off of memory, I think I like this Red Dragon a tad bit more, and I might have to get another box. At any rate, these guys are terrific and if you like smooth creamy smokes here's another to consider. BTW some info on this cigar says it's a strong cigar, so unless I'm out of my mind, this guy isn't. But then again I don't think that opus's are too strong either... If anyone wants me to do a review of the Green Dragon let me know, as I did a brief one but can't find it.
    Great review Pheebs.
    Now cut it our already... I can't afford any more box splits right now I told you, LOL.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    I may have to pick up a 5 pack soon! How does it compare to the CAO CX2? I figure the must be similar with the Cameroon wrapper and binder but the filler obviously could really change the cigar.
    Gurkha central for reviews over here. I'm liking this. But you really gotta stop. I don't have any money to spend or any space to store.