Home Cigar 101

Crappy Cigars

BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
I normally smoke Montecriso's or Baccarats but I took a chance on a new cigar because of the flavor description. I won a bid off of Bids.com for Vegas 5 and Dominican Cream... What a bad decision. The DC's, although they taste descent,are way soft and the burn is far from razor sharp. They never stay lit. The Vegas 5's have a taste like nothing I've tasted as of yet. Holy cow these cigars are bad. 
Hs anyone else experienced this from these cigars?
Danny B

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5v is generally considered a reliable cheap stick. Are you smoking them ROTT? They are definitely stronger than the Macanudos though. Which 5v is it?

Also welcome.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The 5 Vegas cigars shouldn't be soft and have burn issues, maybe you have a humidification issue where the cigars are too moist and don't burn well?  Some of the 5 Vegas cigars are pretty good for their price like the AAA.

I saw your other thread on your humidor, I'd put the cigars in a Ziplok for now with Boveda packs if you have them until you get your humidor under control.  You can also "dry box" the cigar you plan to smoke today or over the next couple of days by putting them in an unhumidified box, that should help with the burn issues and flavor.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    Not familiar with ROTT. 

Yakster
    V5s are not the ones soft. Just don't taste that good. 
    Ill take the cigars out. Thanks for the info. 

Danny B
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROTT is right off the truck. It means did you allow them to sit in a humi and acclimate for a while, or did you immediately light it up?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Thanks for the clarification...  Yes. They sat for 3-4 days. 
    Danny B
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In that case we need to add the qualifier, "for my palate"... There is always the outside chance that they are not crappy cigars, but they simply do not match your desired flavor profile. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I agree completely with @peter4jc especially since I think what you like is really crap! I'm sorry to be blunt but there are far more better cigars on the market. I'm sure your new to cigars but IMO montes,Romeos,uppman, partagas and the rest of the Cuban named companies only stay in business because of well the name. The blends are eh or at best par...then you go with baccarat a sweet tip...I think you need to find what you really truly like in a cigar. Maybe DE acids may suit you the best. But really the only crap cigar is the one you don't like. Try more! Take notes! But don't trash stuff until you can back it up 
    Money can't buy taste
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^^^ I agree with this.  I am someone who will try any cigar at least once, if it tastes like **** I won't try another.  There are too many different cigars available to get stuck on one or two, at least in my opinion.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Oh great...  :/ So Lee.mcglynn you're one of those guys... A big mouth behind a screen. Your comments are uncalled for. Have some class like peter4jc has. At least he can disagree respectfully. 

Thanks peterj4c for your comment. Because I'm new to this, you're probably right. 
    Danny B
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    3 or 4 days is not long enough to acclimate. What of the seven blends of 5vegas are you talking about? IMO the only real good 1 ROTT is the AAA. Let them sit 6 months and they damn good.. I smoke a lot of 5vegas but my palate and yours may be different. 
    It takes 2 to 3 weeks to acclimate.... If you're new you will need to find good ROTT  sticks until you build up your stock 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigDaddy said:
    Oh great...  :/ So Lee.mcglynn you're one of those guys... A big mouth behind a screen. Your comments are uncalled for. Have some class like peter4jc has. At least he can disagree respectfully. 

Thanks peterj4c for your comment. Because I'm new to this, you're probably right. 
    What he said is true. The cigars you said you did like are considered by most as crap. He may have been brash but true. If you need some ideas on some new ones to try check out the threads that show what people are smoking. Now not everyone has the same palate but you will learn yours. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    BigDaddy said:
    Wow, you are off to a great start Little Daddy. I quite like 5 Vegas myself, you are always welcome to ship them to me if you don't want them. lol
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monte's and Baccarat's are ok to start off with (been known to smoke them myself, because options were limited), but as your tastes develope, you will find yourself sampling other types of cigars.

But if you get harshness from a cigar, try it again later with some rest on them. If it still isn't to your liking after a couple months, then move on.

My opinion is there is no crappy cigar (ok, Zoidians are up there), just cigars you don't care for.
    But that's just my opinion, which doesn't account for squat.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Lee's a ****, but he's our ****  :D

seriously though, you gotta let things roll off your back if your gonna be on the Internet.
    This! Things get boring without some ribbing, this is a community.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    All of this sounds like great advise.  The V5s were Vegas 5 no.1.. I will let them set awhile longer. Not used to online shipments with cigars.  I usually buy straight from the cigar shop. Buy it and smoke it.  I knew I had a lot to learn, and I'm learning everyday there is so much more to learn. That's why I got into this. 
    So far, my palate doesn't like the pop rock spicy zing. I'm more into the smooth, creamy, coco and a slight pepper at the finish. Don't really pick up earth or leathery taste yet. I hear about them, but I don't get those yet. So far I'm not too crazy about Nicaraguans so far. Although I did like the Drew Estate Undercrown. Smoked like a chimney and good. 
    Dont really like the hard buzz either. 
    Danny B
    Oh... And I liked the Gurkha Legend XO..  Really good. 
    I just bought the Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001 XO. Can't wait to smoke that. 
    I want to age a LaGloria N6.  Any tried any of these and are they good ones to age?

Danny B
    That would be the 5 Vegas gold.. I've only smoked 1 and it was gifted to me by George @The3Stogies, not sure the age on it but I let it rest a couple weeks and thought it was good. If you don't care for pepper, spice you may not like the AAA. You however may like the A.. The Miami is another 5 Vegas you may like.

Going by your post I would recommend crowned heads four kicks. Pretty good stick and can often be had on at really reasonable price.. A great cigar I'm fairly positive you would like and be great for aging is AF signiture Hemingway, but they are a bit pricey.. 

2 sticks I always recommend to newbies are the tat tattoo and flor de los antilles.. Both are very good sticks that age well in my opinion and can often be had really reasonable price. 
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    BigDaddy said:
     Although I did like the Drew Estate Undercrown. Smoked like a chimney and good. Dont really like the hard buzz either. 
    The Undercrown Shade (white band) is much better. Good creamy smoke and not the hard buzz afterward. I liked the flavor of Undercrown, but hated the hard buzz. Loved the Undercrown Shade all the way around.
    edited May 2016
    I recommend buying 5 packs. If it's a new to you cigar try 1 ROTT, make a note on what you think. If you don't like it much give it 2 to 3 weeks and try again and make a note, then 6 months.. Chances are after 6 months if you don't like it you won't like it..  I usually don't buy boxes until I burn thru 2  5packs, unless I run across a stupid crazy deal.

Not a cheap hobby, and takes some patience. Another tip is pay attention to what the vets are smoking on the what you smoking threads and make a list to try and develop patience for the right deal to ease the wallet pain.
     All great advise.  Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. 
    So, I guess there are no crappy cigars, just different palates. 

Danny B
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, I've got some crappy cigars, a couple of boxes of Buena Vista come to mind--taste OK but so tightly rolled that even a draw poker can't help them.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend here on the forum who is very adamant about saying certain cigars are just plain crap. (You know who you are.) But, I disagree with him on some cigars. And it's all OK. If you (or me) like a certain budget cigar because it's priced low enough and tastes good enough, by all means buy a box. There's something in that cigar you appreciate. Final note, don't buy budget sticks blind, and don't smoke any stick shipped to you without a few weeks rest.  
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoked a few Vegas 5's, the Gold's are good ROTT or with a little rest on them, not good for aging in my opinion.  Classics are still one of my favorites, with some rest and aging they are really good.  Same for the Miami and the A, AAA's, you want to age them a little too.  Never had a DC but if they're mild rest and aging probably didn't help them.
    Thanks Bob. 
    I know how some feel about Montecriso's and Baccarats, but I like them. Montecristo was one of my first cigars and I loved them. But at $9-$10 a stick I had to find an everyday smoke. The baccarat label caught my I and reviews seemed to be per my taste and at $2-$5 a stick I had to try them. But the baccarat maduro belicoso has become my favorite one. 

Just trying to to learn without being slammed. Thanks again for the advise gents. 
    Danny B
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    The list is near endless for budget priced sticks.  You will find some you like and some you don't.  When I first stared that was all I bought.  Most of the times in samplers, making notes on ones I liked and ones I didn't.  Samplers are a great way to go, and can even be bought grouped by strength, etc.  Also, if you haven't already, pop into the newbie welcome thread and intro yourself.  Then also into the newbie trade thread and ask for vet to sponsor you in a trade.  Give that person an idea of your preferred profile and they will likely be able to send you an assortment of goodies to try. (You do have to send yours first).  This also gets you on the good traders list.  Lastly, smoke what you like, regardless of the others opinions are on them.  Couple of my fav inexpensive smokes:  CAO Brazilia, La Perla Habana Morado, Brickhouse, Oliva O to start.  Enjoy your foray into this relaxing hobby.

And a thick skin is crucial around here.  LOL.  Otherwise, with Nick always disagreeing with my posts would have broken me by now.... :D
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
    Wait I thought Monticristos were a well respected smoke? What'd  I miss? Also,while not amazing, I smoked a few Baccarats my first month in, due to them being smaller, cheaper and ones that wouldn't overwhelm my palate.

Huh, we'll I was never one to smoke premiums when I started this cigar journey,  just funny to find this out by hearing you guys speak not so favorably of those two sticks. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just a truck driver with an opinion (no offense KS wildcat you're a big truck driving man, there's a difference).

Sigh...I need a nap.
    The secret word is cigars! 
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GrouchoM said:
    Wait I thought Monticristos were a well respected smoke? What'd  I miss? Also,while not amazing, I smoked a few Baccarats my first month in, due to them being smaller, cheaper and ones that wouldn't overwhelm my palate.

Huh, we'll I was never one to smoke premiums when I started this cigar journey,  just funny to find this out by hearing you guys speak not so favorably of those two sticks. The more I learn, the more I realize I'm just a truck driver with an opinion (no offense KS wildcat you're a big truck driving man, there's a difference).

Sigh...I need a nap.
    Like Lee said earlier in the thread all the cigars named after there Cuban counterpart are only in business because of the names. 
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter