Home Non Cigar Related

What are you reading?

Comments

• WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does anyone have a Malazan Book of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon that they would let me borrow?
    Did anyone take care of this? If not I'm pretty sure I have it lying around.

I'm am in the middle of A Dance with Dragons (GoT book 5). I've had it forever. Just can't find the time to commit to it. It's one of those that I would like to read in one sitting.

Speaking of epics. MTV picked up the Shannara series, and as much as I hate MTV, it looks to be well done.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Re-reading Asian Odyssey, by Dmitri Alioshin. Nail biting death defying adventure end to end... and true. Young man on a true Odyssey, trying to get home to Harbin after serving on the losing side of the Russian Rev., stuck in Mongolia.

Simultaneously, for the first time, the related bio of Baron von Ungern, Bloody White Baron. Unfortunately, not first hand, like the other, and therefore dry as dust, unlike the other. German baron, Russian officer, Bhuddist warrior, ruthless psychopath, and last great Khan of Mongolia.

True stories trump fiction every time... because truth can be so much stranger.

Both go quite well with a cigar and a touch of tequila, I should add.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another Kellerman book. Therapy. Our library is closed for a few days but i have a stack waiting to be read, with coffee and a cigar of course.
    Next up is A Voyage to New Guinea and the Moluccas from Balambangan by Thomas Forrest. I wrote myself a note to find this book 35 years ago. Sailed all the way to New Zealand to buy a copy of Hakluyt's Voyages, but never found a copy of this. Could not find it at the Library of Congress. Forgot all about it. Bumped into that faded old note tucked into my ancient passport the other day. God Bless the innerwebz, where I finally found it. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Wylaff said:
    Does anyone have a Malazan Book of the Fallen: Gardens of the Moon that they would let me borrow?
    Did anyone take care of this? If not I'm pretty sure I have it lying around.

I'm am in the middle of A Dance with Dragons (GoT book 5). I've had it forever. Just can't find the time to commit to it. It's one of those that I would like to read in one sitting.

Speaking of epics. MTV picked up the Shannara series, and as much as I hate MTV, it looks to be well done.
    Yes. I got the first two Malazan books. 
    On Ghost Story, one of the Dresden Files books. I absolutly love this series. 
    One God, One Truth
    Clive Cussler  Black Wind. Easy reading kind of mindless. Good with a stick and coffee after supper.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I just picked up Crucial Conversations (on loan from a coworker) and The Brothers Karamazov. I'm looking forward to reading both. 
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost said:
    Re-reading Asian Odyssey, by Dmitri Alioshin. Nail biting death defying adventure end to end... and true. Young man on a true Odyssey, trying to get home to Harbin after serving on the losing side of the Russian Rev., stuck in Mongolia.

Simultaneously, for the first time, the related bio of Baron von Ungern, Bloody White Baron. Unfortunately, not first hand, like the other, and therefore dry as dust, unlike the other. German baron, Russian officer, Bhuddist warrior, ruthless psychopath, and last great Khan of Mongolia.

True stories trump fiction every time... because truth can be so much stranger.

Both go quite well with a cigar and a touch of tequila, I should add.

Say bruh...

Tequilla is the only way 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    The Revenant. Movie was very good-book is better.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    The Bone Labyrinth by james Rollins - great addition to the series
    The Rook by Danile O'Malley - start of a cool new series 
    Finished the Dreseden Files series by Jim Butcher - great series, this thing better keep going
    Starting The Drafter by Kim Harrison

• RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've taken a liking to reading while smoking lately. I'm currently reading a book called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. And I must say this book has really opened my eyes to some beliefs I've held fast and hard to. I never thought I'd come across anything in these dark days to make me feel that maybe I'm wrong. A truly great read. 
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm reading Pirate Latitudes by Michael Chriton
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    Just finished the silo series,by Hugh Howey
    Non Crux sed lux
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One Summer America 1927 by Bill Bryson
    Make Me by Lee Child a Jack Reacher book on deck.
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhamlin said:
    I've taken a liking to reading while smoking lately. I'm currently reading a book called Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Relin. And I must say this book has really opened my eyes to some beliefs I've held fast and hard to. I never thought I'd come across anything in these dark days to make me feel that maybe I'm wrong. A truly great read. 
    It is a great read, but check out some of the controversy over Mortenson and how money donated to his charity is being used.
  • MoleRatMoleRat Posts: 86 ✭✭✭
    I read while smoking too!   The emperors revenge by Ciive Cussler
  • gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid by Bill Bryson. This is a must read for anyone that grew up in the 50's and 60's, or if you would like something that is an easy read with a lot of laughs.
    Just finished Clinton Cash. Jaw dropping even for that pair of scoundrels.

Just starting The Dream of Rome. 

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Adobe Lightroom tutorial
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Router configs.
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I read 
    All quiet on the western front 
    Yesterday, Great book . Have an original copy from 1929,first edition 
    Non Crux sed lux
    The Dream of Rome turns out to be entertainingly written. 

• 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My book isn't anywhere near as interesting.... An Early Start to Autism with your Child. Not a "pleasure" book, but still a good read for me and helping to give me some ideas and perspective ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redirecting this thread. I read about 82 books last year and I'm always looking for new authors across any genre. 

If if you like Game of Thrones check out Joe Abercrombie and his trilogy series starting with The Blade Itself. It is unique with great humor and brutality. There are several stand alone books as well. I get caught up
    in them and read through them quickly. 

I tend to fixate on an author and try to read all their books in order. At the same time I am reading Ben Coes as well. 
  • MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm,  I've got a ton of books I'm reading at once.  I won't bore you with all the Bible and theology stuff, except to mention Good Faith by David Kinnaman and Gabe Lyons.  The subtitle of the book is Being a Christian when Society Thinks You're Irrelevant and Extreme.  Kinnaman is head of the Barna group and the book is based on research completed by that organization.  Some fascinating stuff in there.

Current fiction I'm wading through includes the third book in the 5th Wave series, thanks to my daughter reading through them.

I've decided to try again and read through the Aubrey-Maturin series of Napoleonic naval stories by Patrick O'Brian.  Tried a few of them before, but out of order.  This time I'm being systematic.  I finished the first two and am now reading the third, H.M.S. Surprise.  
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh by the way I'm currently reading The Heroes by Joe Abercrombie. 
  • genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just finished "The Energy Bus". Nice motivational book.
    Just finished a Lee Child and now starting on a CJ Box. All from our library.