Home Ratings & Reviews

262 Paradigm

jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ok guys this is a short review on the new 262 Paradigm a medium to full bodied cigar. 262 was originally going to be called Revolution Cigars but due to copyright stuff and legal mumbo jumbo they changed the name. February of 1962 is when President Kennedy signed pen to paper to put in to effect an embargo that would keep us from enjoying Cuban cigars. Of course Kennedy asked an aide to get him 1000 cuban cigars before the embargo took effect. The aide brought Kennedy 1200 Petit H. Upmann cigars, his favorite cigar brand and size. So they decided to put the month and year together and changed their name to 262. Check them out at www.smoketherevolution.com

The Paradigm is "Assembled in Honduras, this well-balanced cigar starts off with 3 fillers coming together to create a rich array of tastes. The Seco and Ligero tobaccos from the Esteli and Jalapa valleys in Nicaragua are blended with a Cubito tobacco, a Cuban-seed leaf grown in Columbia." I was sent 3 unbanded samples in different sizes. Torpedo, robusto, and box press. I decided to start with the torpedo which is my favorite size and shape.

The Look: The cigar construction and over all look was fantastic. You could tell it was a quality stick and not some fly by night attempt at a start up brand. I was impressed with how nice the wrapper looked and the fantastic torpedo end was done perfectly. The cigar felt nice in my hand and had that slight give that I like to see which tells me a cigar is ready to smoke. The wrapper was flawless and beautiful.

The Smoke: I light this bad boy up and start to enjoy it. Right off the bat I notice it has a perfect draw and the ash is burning even. My initial impressions were this cigar is very different from all that I have smoked. It has a very crisp and refreshing start. I could taste the hint of citrus as was described to me from one of the owners. There was no harshness or overpowering taste yet it wasn't bland and mild. I have a hard time describing this but it is really unique start to a cigar. Just think of that freshness when biting into a really good orange.
The ash is very nice and white and solid. I got a good 2 inches going and decided it was time to part ways with it to see if the wrapper burn stays even. This is usually where I will see burn issues. The ash is gone and the cigar continues to burn even. That makes me a happy smoker!
I start to notice I am feeling a little light headed. I had to open a window and get some air. I thought to myself this is odd as so far I haven't hit anything overpowering and full in the cigar yet. The cigar gives way to subtle chocolate notes. You can tell the cigar is developing and changing and I like that. To me it adds some complexity and excitement to the cigar. kind of a wow factor that keeps your attention and makes you want more. Past the hints of chocolate I start getting coffee and I mean no hints or doubt about it there is coffee. I am not a huge fan of drinking coffee but I love the aroma of it. This cigar finished with a nice coffee taste and I really enjoyed it.

My overall impression of this cigar is it is a solid medium to full bodied cigar. It is not a full on kick you in the teeth full bodied cigar yet it does have some power. It has some complexity and nice changes that I think are very noticeable. That being said I think if you are a mild guy this would be the cigar to step up to the next level. If you are a medium to full guy this is your cigar. If you are a full bodied guy this is a cigar you want to check out. I really enjoyed this cigar and was sad I didn't have the other 2 with me to try. It left me wanting to buy a box. In all honesty this cigar is very different and I am excited about it being released. I have never experienced that clean, fresh, citrus taste in a cigar. I honestly wasn't sure if my palate would pick it up but it did. If you guys see it check it out. I might see about doing a contest to get some out to you guys for you to try and post your opinions.

Comments

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Great review Jake, I can't wait to try this stick. Let us know when you have a line on some more!!

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    So, Jake, will these be released through online retailers or through B&Ms only. That was a great review, the kind that often lead to me reaching for my wallet.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    great review ...makes me want to lite one up !
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    that wasn't a short review... nicely done btw.. ;-)
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    nice review, makes me want to light one up right now. is this from one of the companies that you are working toward doing some rep work for? if so, are you going to be able to offer some sort of BOTL purchase options. anyway, great review, thanks. i look forward to trying one, hopefully sooner than later.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the companies that I will be do some independent rep work for. After smoking this I decided it was definitely something I could be excited about and rep. Right now they are releasing next month and to B&Ms only as far as I know. I was thinking about contacting one of the Ccom guys when I have more info to see if they would be willing to sample and consider carrying the line. It is produced by the same man behind Alec Bradley Cigars so it has a solid manufacturer.

They have a small supply of samples as they have to pay for them and this is a start up. I will be getting more for my B&Ms to sample. I will try to get extras and am definitely going to purchase a box or two for my personal use. I was thinking of doing a contest or game to spread them out for you guys to try. I have a meeting with one of the owners after the holidays and will be getting more info. I will see what sort of deals I can get and let you guys know!

I will also add to this when I try out the other 2 to see if there is any difference in the sizes. I am not repping this yet and this was smoked before I had even decided. The owners of course wanting me to sample them first also to be sure this was a product I could be excited about. Without a doubt I wouldn't rep anything I didn't enjoy. I want to get some to you guys so you can give me feedback too. If you like them I will definitely help out any BOTL!
    keep us posted, sounds very interesting to say the least
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Jake... I was already excited about this stick when you told us about it before, but now?? Excellent review bro - very well-written, and absolutely mouthwatering! I look forward to hearing more about 262
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    WOW Count me in! I am another one thats sitting here Salavating.......... Right up my Alley..... Did you say Chocolate and Coffee..... I can not wait to try one or two or three or four. Thanks for a Great review. The opening the Window feeling light head is still making me wipe the tears of laughter out of my eyes! Good Stuff.
  • B.C.B.C. Posts: 2
    Last cigar I smoked was when I was in high school and it was with Jerry one of the owners who produce the 262 Paradigm. I'm 52 now and after that review I can't wait to get the ones I just ordered.
    My wife likes chocolate and coffee. who knows maybe we will have a new past time. All I have to do is get her to read this review.
    B.C.:
    Last cigar I smoked was when I was in high school and it was with Jerry one of the owners who produce the 262 Paradigm. I'm 52 now and after that review I can't wait to get the ones I just ordered. My wife likes chocolate and coffee. who knows maybe we will have a new past time. All I have to do is get her to read this review.
    B.C. Welcome first time poster, I hope you meant that it has been Thirty-three years since your last 262, and not cigars in general.
  • B.C.B.C. Posts: 2
    Last cigar period. Smoking a cigar back then was a thing I did almost as the cap to a great evening of fun. We all went our ways after high school and I haven't smoked one since. I found Jerry through the Internet last year and we picked up where we left off.

Check our revolutions manifesto
    http://www.smoketherevolution.com/manifesto.asp
    I had the chance to smoke the other 2 and like these so much that I made the 262 Paradigm my first cigar of 2010.

The robusto was once again a solid looking stick. Beautiful wrapper. You know how when you can kind of judge the construction quality of a cigar by the feel? These are quality made sticks and you can judge them by the look and feel and know. The robusto opened up with some spiciness. I could not detect any citrus flavor in this stick but that could be because my pallet gets overpowered by spiciness and that seems to be all I can detect. That is not a bad thing. This cigar seemed to have a little more kick to it than the torpedo. Overall it was very enjoyable and if you like some spicy, dark chocolate, and coffee you will love this.

The box press was my first 2010 cigar. Once again I had a hard time detecting citrus in this size. This cigar seemed to me to hit the dark chocolate and coffee from the start and never backed down. I savored every moment smoking this cigar. Wonderful aroma, solid white ash, tons of smoke. I smoked this thing down to the nub and almost burnt my fingers and lips. It left me wanting more and I thought to myself I could smoke these everyday and never get tired or bored with them.Out of the 3 the torpedo was my favorite. I just loved that fresh start and the hint of citrus. All 3 were quality great sticks. Though they are produced from the same tobacco the different sizes offers each a unique characteristic of its own. Definitely worth giving these a try.

Check them out at www.smoketherevolution.com.
    I cleaned up my review here and it is now online with pictures at www.thecigarnut.com. Check it out and let me know what you guys think by leaving a comment. May start doing some regular reviews. Great website and he does several giveaways of really great cigars.
    That's a really good review with some nice pics as well. Nice work
  • sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    I checked out smoketherevolution.com and noticed they are now selling a 3-pack containing the robusto, torpedo, and box-pressed. Based on jsnake's review, I think I will be jumping on the offer.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Got my three pack sampler in this morning and torched up the robusto .......... So to start I inspect this stick and man is a very well constructed cigar, i use my punch and pre light draw was a little tight .... after getting this cigar fired up and a few quick draws, is a nice smooth perfect draw and the wrapper was a little toothy, ...... the first in the first inch the burn is perfect and the cigar has a great flavor profile so far... I can pick up some spicy and sweet tones and am really enjoying this cigar ...... after a quick cleansing of the palette i start to pick up a small amount of orange and then the coffee and chocolate really starts to com through ....... not being a coffee drinker (but one who loves the smell of good coffee) Iam really digging this stick ...... as i get up to snap a few picks i feel a bit light headed ...... maybe i should have ate something, but i continue and the construction of the stick is so flawless, everything about this cigar screams quality .... The ash is nice and solid and white in color and iam in cigar bliss ... the cigar finshed nicley with no harsh after tastes ...... this is a very well made cigar and has a great flavor profile all of its own ..... its nothing like anything i have smoked before and have a feeling that this cigar will be a big hit .... Now its time to talk to Clint ...................... If you get the chance to smoke one of these, do it and enjoy it.
    Sweet review man! I like all the info you put out there. Try the torpedo next. My favorite!! These are truly in my top 3 cigars.
  • kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    Yea they are a top 3 for me as well snake ......... i spoke to Clint and he is having Jerry send all the info out to me so we are gonna be teammates now brother ................ Thanks
    Nice, you are the third guy I helped hook up. Make me proud! ROFL. Gonna be fun.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Had the Box pressed Toro today. I thought it was great. I picked up the 6 pack and sent one out to another BOTL here. The others I may have to hoard for my personal stash. Great long finish to these. Burn was perfect and slow. I look forward to trying the other vitolas.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, I guess I'm the one guy who didn't really care for this cigar. I smoked the box pressed toro that jsnake sent me along with a torpedo. First up it had a minor construction issue, the cap came right off when I was punching it, fortunately it was only the top cap so the wrapper didn't unravel. The cigar lit straight away, no problems and the first puff gave a very rich, full flavored burst of smoke, I detected leather, cocoa and some nuttiness, this died down after the first puff and continued giving out a predominantly nutty array of flavors. I should note that at this point the burn was starting to go awry, a quick touch up and it evened out. About 1 1/2 inch in and the cigar is overall medium bodied, at this point I experienced the first flavor change where the cigar dropped the nutty nuances to replace them with a more vegetal and earthy taste, it carried on in this fashion maintaining these flavors with little bursts thrown in, I got a heavy caramel at one point, a light, white pepper zing at another. A medium body was maintained as well and the burn continued to stay even with a slightly flaky ash.

So my overall impression is that this cigar doesn't fit my tastes. I wanted to like it, but in the spirit of objectivity I refrained from reading any other reviews so that nothing tainted my perception. I guess this just proves that no two palates are the same, because I didn't experience this cigar nearly the same as some of you guys.

Thanks to Jake for sending it along so I was able to try it. I'll be smoking the torpedo at some point and will report back if it provides a different experience.
    Very interesting... I look forward to giving that 262 a burn soon to see which side I fall on.
    What a ....... lol just kidding. You have to be honest. Remember these have only been in country since December and are pretty new still. A few guys have mentioned some resting time would benefit them greatly and that could be. The samples I sent have been through the mail twice in the last 2 weeks so the burn issue is probably my fault. I didn't have any with time on them to send out.

When you get a chance smoke that torpedo and see what you think. I personally love the torpedo the most. Look forward to seeing what you think on the second go.

I attended a KC Cigar Aficionado Club meeting at a location that carries these. I got about half of those in attendance to buy these and almost all of them bought sticks to take home after smoking one. Really good to hear all of the good feedback. I don't necessarily take your review as negative. There is no cigar anywhere that can please everyone.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    I don't necessarily take your review as negative. There is no cigar anywhere that can please everyone.
    Tim's Beard makes cigars than can please everyone!
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    clearlysuspect:
    jsnake:
    I don't necessarily take your review as negative. There is no cigar anywhere that can please everyone.
    Tim's Beard makes cigars than can please everyone!
    It's not that the cigars please everyone, it's that fear of The Beard causes everyone to heap praise upon the cigar for not wanting to anger The Mighty Whiskers.
    Pic of the three different sizes below - image
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Good lookin' smokes.
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    hey jsnake, these are made by alec bradley right? They come from his factory???
    letsgowithbob:
    hey jsnake, these are made by alec bradley right? They come from his factory???
    placensia is the blender and alec bradley is the maker and the blend is proprietary to 262. no one else can use it. as soon as my damn money gets here, i'm ordering some sticks and, well, we shall see.