Home Non Cigar Related

FOOTBALL Season is allmost here!!!!!!!!

Comments

• LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    ptftw
    Uh-oh, the Steelers looked scary good against the Texans. If they just didn't have the toughest schedule in the NFL...
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Luko:
    Uh-oh, the Steelers looked scary good against the Texans. If they just didn't have the toughest schedule in the NFL...
    Dude do you realize what you just said ....

Against the TEXANS

Everyone looks scary against the Texans.

Now the Redskins looked SCARY albeit the exact opposite kind of scary as th Steelers ...
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    I was pleased with my Panthers :)
    As you should be!
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the Bears finally decided to play some serious football last night too. And as the underdogs by all vegas lines. Let's see if they can keep it going.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    They certainly surprised me. As did the Panthers. And the Cardinals.
    madurofan:
    Luko:
    Dude do you realize what you just said ....

Against the TEXANS

Everyone looks scary against the Texans.

Now the Redskins looked SCARY albeit the exact opposite kind of scary as th Steelers ...
    Hey, the Texans were .500 last year and supposed to improve further this year. Doesn't matter, they got the beat down just like Cleveland will this week. Come on, I invite you all to jump on the bandwagon and become part of the Steelers Nation.
    Cool Hand Luko -

As much as I love Ben Roethlisberger (wore his Miami jersey on Saturday as I watched my RedThings humiliate themselves against a Michigan team they should have beaten), I'm staying with my Panthers. I had them down for a 10-win season, and I haven't been off by more than 1 on my win prediction for the Panthers ever since the 1-15 season (in which I thankfully hadn't started making predictions because I would have been WAY off).

I don't claim to know a lot about football, but I seem to have a rather uncanny knack for making unbiased assessments about my hometown team. We're good this year. Super Bowl material? Probably not because we have too many new faces at the really important (OL and DL) positions. You can plug in superstars at the skill positions, but the lines need to be built together over time. I think we've got the skill players, we just need another year of cohesion from our lines (and we need JP to re-up), although I think we'll turn a lot of heads this year.
    That was a big win for Aaron Rodgers... not as big as his nose.. but big none the less.
  • oh yes it was a great weekend football season! The bears beat down the colts as I thought, watch out for them this year! And The Broncos wow that's the way to start the season!!!
  • LCarLCar Posts: 57
    Grr...didnt get to see week 1...my dish is broken...they're coming to fix it today, and of course, I have to work tomorrow. What luck.
  • Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    big game today USC vs OHIO ST. looking forward to it
  • Big Dan:
    Not so big game today HUSKERS vs New Mexico St. But i'm still looking forward to it. GO BIG RED!!
    Big Dan:
    Great game that turned out to be. I knew it was gonna be like that.
    madurofan:
    Big Dan:
    Great game that turned out to be. I knew it was gonna be like that.

Yeah, I'm a big tenelven fan, but what the hell has happened. Oh, how the mightly have fallen.
    In some ways, I think the game has just passed Jim Tressel by. As for Michigan's woes, eh, new coach, new system, etc. Plus, there's just more balance in college football than there used to be. The South Florida's and Miami-OH's and Temple's are putting better athletes on the field than they used to.
    urbino:
    In some ways, I think the game has just passed Jim Tressel by. As for Michigan's woes, eh, new coach, new system, etc. Plus, there's just more balance in college football than there used to be. The South Florida's and Miami-OH's and Temple's are putting better athletes on the field than they used to.
    Well they cut the number of scholarships per program allowing athletes to get around. THe faster guys are coming out of FL and Cali and they're staying there to play college for the most part. There are good players all over the country but the SEC and USC just play at a much faster speed than the other conferences.
  • Bigger and faster, Maddy. But it has been seen over the last few years that speed and skill will win over size and strength at the college level. But over all the players are getting huge...scary and they can move.

Speaking of the game passing someone by...Bobby Bowden. I can't stand FSU but Bowden is a great coach but the game has moved passed him for the most part. Joe Pa is right there with him too. SEC has passed Phil Fulmer by, he is a threat at the least but he has not kept up with the quickly evolving SEC game the past couple of years. Am I concerned that my Gators have to play them this weekend..yes...but I think he will done after this year.

As far as USC is concerned...the last two bowl games they were they should have played SEC teams (LSU ans UGA), they would have been very interesting and maybe answered a few questions for the skeptics out there that say the SEC is not as strong as we say. USC could not play week after week in the SEC and had the record that they've had over the last several years. PAC-10 is weak, USC BEAT OSU last week but that was the only highlight for the conferance. 3 other PAC-10 teams LOST to Mountain West teams...and they don't play a conferance championship (Big-10 is the same) to further test/prove that they deserve to be in the big games.

But thats just my $.02.
    The Big thing is perplexing. Why are they so much bigger now than they were 10 years ago? And so fast? Are we advancing that much in training or are pharmceuticals really this prevalent? It scares me either way.

Bowden and JoePa are just old. JoePa at least understands that he needs to surround himself with young, creative minds. I don't think Bowden gets that at all. Fulmer is a whole different story, what ahs happened to him and Tenn? They were a perennial powerhouse. Its almost as sad as Syracuse.

Very, very true. I'm no USC lover and agree that if they played in the SEC the record would be no where near as impressive but I do believe they are good enough to be mentioned with the SEC. I think they would be contenders every year in the SEC.

madurofan:
    The Big thing is perplexing. Why are they so much bigger now than they were 10 years ago? And so fast? Are we advancing that much in training or are pharmceuticals really this prevalent? It scares me either way.

Bowden and JoePa are just old. JoePa at least understands that he needs to surround himself with young, creative minds. I don't think Bowden gets that at all. Fulmer is a whole different story, what ahs happened to him and Tenn? They were a perennial powerhouse. Its almost as sad as Syracuse.

Very, very true. I'm no USC lover and agree that if they played in the SEC the record would be no where near as impressive but I do believe they are good enough to be mentioned with the SEC. I think they would be contenders every year in the SEC.

It's both. The kids have a lot of access to drugs, even before they get to college. And it's coming from their programs. Also, the programs themselves (in high school) have taken recruiting to the level it was in college 40 years ago. Kids are relocating from out of state to play on elite high school programs. We have one such program here in Charlotte (Independence High School). These kids could give college programs a good game. Put these kids on a 6+ year program of drugs, and all they need to do once they hit the NFL is work hard to sustain it.

As far as USC in the SEC, they would have to play a new brand of football. USC can beat any SEC team on any given Saturday, but if they played the full schedule, they couldn't compete because they'd get beat. Reverse it, though, and put Florida in the PAC-10 and they also wouldn't have as good a record. The PAC-10 plays an NFL-style West Coast offense that would run all over these SEC teams. The SEC teams play a smashmouth football that would reduce a PAC-10 team to its 2nd string.

So while I agree that a PAC-10 team wouldn't have as good a record if it played an SEC schedule, I will also point out the irony that an SEC team wouldn't have as good a record if it played a PAC-10 schedule. And if you followed me through all that, you're almost ready to start talking NFL ;)
  • dutyje:
    madurofan:

It's both. The kids have a lot of access to drugs, even before they get to college. And it's coming from their programs. Also, the programs themselves (in high school) have taken recruiting to the level it was in college 40 years ago. Kids are relocating from out of state to play on elite high school programs. We have one such program here in Charlotte (Independence High School). These kids could give college programs a good game. Put these kids on a 6+ year program of drugs, and all they need to do once they hit the NFL is work hard to sustain it.

So while I agree that a PAC-10 team wouldn't have as good a record if it played an SEC schedule, I will also point out the irony that an SEC team wouldn't have as good a record if it played a PAC-10 schedule. And if you followed me through all that, you're almost ready to start talking NFL ;)
    I follow you but you can keep the NFL stuff, I stick with college football. I agree to an extent that they would have learning curve going between the different conferances BUT I think would be harder for them to come into the SEC. We are still playing smashmouth football but eveolving it to be used in a various forms of spread offenses that are similar to the west coast offenses. Oregon has a spread type offense for example and used it very well the last couple of years in the PAC-10. Look at Hawaii last year also, pro-style/west coast offense but when they went against UGA they got their **** handed to them. Although Hawaii was also beat by size and overall talent, they did deserve their shot in the Sugar Bowl but most SEC teams would have beat them hands down.

I think the SEC just has the right combonation with southern/western style speed topped with good ol' fashion smashmouth football. The Big-12 has some of it also with teams like OU and Texas and Missouri. It's a cycle, however. As football evolves and programs mature or end and conferances change and the BCS keeps college football from having a real playoff system then we will continuely argue who's got the better conferances. Right now its the SEC overall and that makes me and my Gators extremely happy. As far as USC in the SEC, they would have to play a new brand of football. USC can beat any SEC team on any given Saturday, but if they played the full schedule, they couldn't compete because they'd get beat. Reverse it, though, and put Florida in the PAC-10 and they also wouldn't have as good a record. The PAC-10 plays an NFL-style West Coast offense that would run all over these SEC teams. The SEC teams play a smashmouth football that would reduce a PAC-10 team to its 2nd string.

Eh? You just wanted to quote us no response?
    Nevermind I just read your embedded message.
    dutyje:
    madurofan:

As far as USC in the SEC, they would have to play a new brand of football. USC can beat any SEC team on any given Saturday, but if they played the full schedule, they couldn't compete because they'd get beat. Reverse it, though, and put Florida in the PAC-10 and they also wouldn't have as good a record. The PAC-10 plays an NFL-style West Coast offense that would run all over these SEC teams. The SEC teams play a smashmouth football that would reduce a PAC-10 team to its 2nd string.

Gotta interject here...the average male height at the turn of the 20th century was like 3'5". In all seriousness, humans were much smaller (both shorter and lighter) decades/centuries ago. The population is getting bigger, not just players. Hell, I'm bout 50 pounds heavier than I was in high school.
    Couple that with advancements in training, diet, etc., and players are scary big and fast. It's not always about drugs.
    And please, SEC is all spread offense and speed, not smashmouth. Smashmouth is the Big Ten, Big East
    /wishes it were 10, 20. 30 years ago so above statement was true.
  • madurofan:
    Eh? You just wanted to quote us no response?
    corrected
    Luko, the offenses in the PAC-10 would put the SEC to shame. I think you may be slightly exaggerating your "average height" argument, but it is true that people are getting bigger. However, the relative size of a man to the next generation should remain a reasonably constant factor. That hasn't remained the case, and that mathematical differential can be explained through advancements in training and drugs.
    dutyje:
    Luko, the offenses in the PAC-10 would put the SEC to shame.
    Probably true, in some ways. It's also probably true that the defenses in the SEC would put the PAC-10 to shame and that, generally, the line play on both sides of the ball in the SEC would put the PAC-10 to shame, while the PAC-10 has better QBs and better athletes on the corners.
    urbino:
    dutyje:
    Luko, the offenses in the PAC-10 would put the SEC to shame.
    Probably true, in some ways. It's also probably true that the defenses in the SEC would put the PAC-10 to shame and that, generally, the line play on both sides of the ball in the SEC would put the PAC-10 to shame, while the PAC-10 has better QBs and better athletes on the corners.

Knowshon (wtf kinda name is that) disagrees and asks that you all watch this weekend as he and his bulldog teammates decimate ASU. I'm pretty sure ASU will drop football after this game.
    Moreno is a running back. What did I say that he would disagree with?