Home General Discussion
Options

South East Herf!!

Comments

• Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    I really don't know if I can make it (my travel schedule is getting crazy), but I'd be interested in meeting up too. I skimmed through the thread but I didn't notice: have you guys set a date?
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    doromath:
    I'm up for dual herfs and would likely attend the SC/NC herf as long as I can hitch a ride from ATL (or coordinate it with a work trip).

For ATL info Buckhead's fee is per cigar. They don't have a list of their stock but carry Altadis, RP, Gurkha, Davidoff, Fuente, Miami Cigar to name a few. No Padron, no Tat, no Illusione because the manager says he doesn't like the reps lol.

Also I confirmed with Harp that they're still cigar friendly but didn't ask about vegetarian options (sorry Chris, I was trying to sneak the call in on a break).
    no problem Dan. I wonder if the Buckhead place will let you bring your own cigars...kinda doubt it if there is a "cutting" fee. I'm leaning towards Harp now, checked the menu and there a few things I could eat. So I'm gonna cast my vote for Harp.
    Not to be too personal.. what lead to you being a Vegetarian?
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    Buckhead will let you bring your own cigars, they're just going to charge you to cut them if you want to smoke them. I didn't ask but I would be really surprised if you didn't get a "complimentary cut" with any cigar you purchase there. If we went I would bring stuff to trade but just buy stogies from the shop to smoke for the herf.

Mephisto we haven't set dates or times yet for the HERFs. This was something we first did in Atlanta last August and are looking to kick it off again.

The plan right now is to have a SE herf that's more convenient than ATL for the Carolina and Tennessee BORKS (Planned by Ejenne) and one in ATL that's easier for the Georgians (Planned by Krieg). Ideally everyone would attend both but we all know life is just too damn busy for that ;).

Chris, for the ATL herf I think Harp gets my vote to for economics. There's two B&Ms nearby: Cigar Merchant on Hwy. 9 (Been there. Decent stock, open lounge) and Cigar, Etc (Haven't ever been: I hear they have a monthly charge for their lounge but don't know if it's waived to smoke cigars you bought there. If we're not going to smoke in the lounge anyways that it doesn't make much of difference IMO.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    doromath:
    Buckhead will let you bring your own cigars, they're just going to charge you to cut them if you want to smoke them. I didn't ask but I would be really surprised if you didn't get a "complimentary cut" with any cigar you purchase there. If we went I would bring stuff to trade but just buy stogies from the shop to smoke for the herf.

Mephisto we haven't set dates or times yet for the HERFs. This was something we first did in Atlanta last August and are looking to kick it off again.

The plan right now is to have a SE herf that's more convenient than ATL for the Carolina and Tennessee BORKS (Planned by Ejenne) and one in ATL that's easier for the Georgians (Planned by Krieg). Ideally everyone would attend both but we all know life is just too damn busy for that ;).

Chris, for the ATL herf I think Harp gets my vote to for economics. There's two B&Ms nearby: Cigar Merchant on Hwy. 9 (Been there. Decent stock, open lounge) and Cigar, Etc (Haven't ever been: I hear they have a monthly charge for their lounge but don't know if it's waived to smoke cigars you bought there. If we're not going to smoke in the lounge anyways that it doesn't make much of difference IMO.
    Ok, so that's 3 votes for Harp ( I think Ross also voted for Harp) Anyone else out there have an opine??

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Hayblet:
    Krieg:
    doromath:
    I'm up for dual herfs and would likely attend the SC/NC herf as long as I can hitch a ride from ATL (or coordinate it with a work trip).

For ATL info Buckhead's fee is per cigar. They don't have a list of their stock but carry Altadis, RP, Gurkha, Davidoff, Fuente, Miami Cigar to name a few. No Padron, no Tat, no Illusione because the manager says he doesn't like the reps lol.

Also I confirmed with Harp that they're still cigar friendly but didn't ask about vegetarian options (sorry Chris, I was trying to sneak the call in on a break).
    no problem Dan. I wonder if the Buckhead place will let you bring your own cigars...kinda doubt it if there is a "cutting" fee. I'm leaning towards Harp now, checked the menu and there a few things I could eat. So I'm gonna cast my vote for Harp.
    Not to be too personal.. what lead to you being a Vegetarian?
    I was born w/ a desease that prevents me from eating foods with high amount of protein...only recently (due to a very new medication called Kuvan) have I been able to eat w/ a vegetarian diet...which is considered to be very good...not all people w/ my condition respond to treatment...but before that medication came out my daily protein intake was 15g (normal persons is around 100-150g). It's called PKU. Very rare.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    MephistoMephisto Posts: 508
    @ Doromath. . .thanks for the update. I'll stay posted and if I can make it, I'm there, whether Atl or closer.
  • Options
    I'm in for GA, just let me know when. I would still like to host something at Wise Ash in Smyrna anytime we can get together.
  • Options
    I'd be down for either Atlanta or the Carolinas. Wife wants to get back down to IKEA so it works for me in Atlanta, and the Carolinas is no big deal either. Myrtle Beach would be cool but hey whatever.
  • Options
    jacketsrule:
    I'm in for GA, just let me know when. I would still like to host something at Wise Ash in Smyrna anytime we can get together.
    Hey Tim! Glad to see you back! We were talking about Wise Ash earlier and were wondering if anyone talked to u lately. I'm also down for a trip to Wise Ash, I think that would be pretty cool. I've been wanting to check the place out for awhile. What's it like there? is it strictly just a B&M or is it a cigar bar kinda place too?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    rgalyon0911rgalyon0911 Posts: 53
    Man I wish I had the time or money to make it to any of these. Would be so cool to get together with some BOTL.
  • Options
    So for the ATL herf, looks like we are narrowing it down to Harp and perhaps Wise Ash (which i thnk is in Marietta) I was thinking about maybe getting together in late March or April? Kinda hoping to have some warm weather and beat most of the pollen....don't know about some of u guys, but pollen about kills me.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Yeah. April would be best for me. My folks are in town the last 2 weeks of March.
  • Options
    April works for me. I have some travel scheduled but so far it's all on weekdays and I imagine we're shooting for a weekend-ish day. If not I'll post the dates so we can work around it.

As for pollen it used to kill me as I have all kinds of allergies. I'm going on around 18 months of allergy shots though and am noticing a huge difference. Well worth it, especially if you have insurance that covers it.
  • Options
    doromath:
    April works for me. I have some travel scheduled but so far it's all on weekdays and I imagine we're shooting for a weekend-ish day. If not I'll post the dates so we can work around it.

As for pollen it used to kill me as I have all kinds of allergies. I'm going on around 18 months of allergy shots though and am noticing a huge difference. Well worth it, especially if you have insurance that covers it.
    Allergy shots??? what are these?? They work pretty well?? I'm at my wits end w/ my allergies...it gets BAD

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    doromath:

Allergy shots??? what are these?? They work pretty well?? I'm at my wits end w/ my allergies...it gets BAD
    It's a 5 year treatment regime of shots in the arm at regular frequency that ends up changing the way your body reacts to allergens. You do a build-up period (either 1 day with lots of shots 15 minutes apart, or a series of days for a few weeks), then go every week, then every two weeks, every three weeks and finally every month. I'm just now on the every month frequency. I started seeing some minor improvements after about 6 months. It's a slow change so can be hard to notice, but I can tell that i have fewer episodes of high severity.

It can be expensive if you don't have good insurance. Call Atlanta Asthma and Allergy Clinic and shoot me a PM if you want some info on it.
  • Options
    So it's looking like April might be good for most people...anyone else out there want to chime in? I have a training class during the first week (4-8th) but should be fine for a weekend herf with you guys...so...which weekend in April ? 9th (day after my birthday!) 16th? 23rd? or...30th? So is Harp ok with everyone? (in Roswell/Alpharetta area, Holcomb Bridge Road, just after the GA400 bridge)

I don't really can't buy anymore cigars, because I literally don't have anymore room in my 2 humidors, so access to a B&M is not a necessity for me atm...but depending on what everyone wants to do, either we can meet up at a cigar shop or just meet at Harp.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Harps. Whenever in April. Would be kinda cool for each of us could bring a 5 pack and all just share the love.
  • Options
    rossdavey2:
    Harps. Whenever in April. Would be kinda cool for each of us could bring a 5 pack and all just share the love.
    sounds good to me, I got a 5pk of Swishers, peach flavored with your name on them Ross! ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Man cool I've had a 5er of game purple aging in my Drew Estate Humi since our last Herf for you. Great minds think alike.
  • Options
    April would be a no-go for me with Cigarfest at the end of the month
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    could u make it down before Cigar Fest?

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Anytime in April really works for me but would prefer 4/16, 4/9 or 4/23 (in that order-ish).

I'm also down with moving it to accomodate Spence or any other folks driving in for it.

I don't feel a real burning need to go to a B&M and like the idea of just bringing a 5-er to share amongst us. Skipping the B&M leaves me more money to spend on food and drink anyways ;)
  • Options
    Krieg:
    Hayblet:
    I would have to say maybe, really depends on finances at the time, more the less time off work, I can't say for certain now.
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    Krieg:
    Hayblet:
    I would have to say maybe, really depends on finances at the time, more the less time off work, I can't say for certain now.
    no problem

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    anymore Borks out there wanna chime in on which weekend they prefer?? I'm getting hold of JZ to find out which weekend works for him too, cuz i know he missed the last one and he wants to make the next one.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Weekend of April 16th (and because the 23rd is Easter weekend) looks like that's gonna be the date for the next herf.

Plan is to meet at Harp's on Holcomb Bridge road between 1 & 2? I'm open to times, just want to have plenty of time to hang out. It's right off of GA400, so it will be easy to get to. When it gets closer, I will post directions on how to get there. They serve drinks and food there so we won't have to leave and go to another place. And look at the bright side, chances are we won't get ear raped again about kidney stones! Can't wait to hang with you guys again.

So lets have a final listing of who's gonna be there. Please post it on here, thanks!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    I'm in. Should we set a limit on the 5 pack? Like I was saying before If we each bring a 5 pack and all share them out. Just set them all in on the table and over the day we each pick 5.
  • Options
    1. Krieg
    2. Rossdavey
    3. Doromath (as of the last time he checked in)
    4. djbeenie (my buddy Bryan who just got into cigars)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Krieg:
    1. Krieg
    2. Rossdavey
    3. Doromath (as of the last time he checked in)
    I'm in good sir. My FIL generally comes up for Easter so unless they shift a week I have no conflicts.

I dig the 5 pack idea. I wouldn't mind if we had guidance on price/size/whatever but otherwise I think we can all figure it out based on the trading and gifting from the last time around.
  • Options
    rossdavey2:
    I'm in. Should we set a limit on the 5 pack? Like I was saying before If we each bring a 5 pack and all share them out. Just set them all in on the table and over the day we each pick 5.
    Sounds good to me

"Long ashes my friends."