Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Onyx reserve mini belicoso. About an inch in and getting some really good flavors from the cigar. Medium bodied with a short finish. I havent smoked too many maduro's but I might have to start.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    handypantz:
    Onyx reserve mini belicoso. About an inch in and getting some really good flavors from the cigar. Medium bodied with a short finish. I havent smoked too many maduro's but I might have to start.
    you picked a good one to start with.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    kuzi16:
    handypantz:
    you picked a good one to start with.

you are right about that kuzi, I nubbed the Onyx cigar and enjoyed every puff of it. There were alot of flavors with a hint of sweetness throughout. Might have to invest in a few more of these.
  • Options
    RushNRushN Posts: 7
    Tonight I am going to pour myself a tall glass of Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout and enjoy my first Maduro, Montecristo Media Noche No.2 Torpedo. It seems a bit pricey but I have heard some good things about it and thought I would give it a try. The cigar has a real nice wrapper and it smells fantastic I can't wait to light it up.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    First maduro, aww man. I have 2 Media Noche's in my humidor but have yet to try one. If you like complexity and medium - full body then maduro is the way to go. Not to say maduro is the only way to get that but it is more consistent than others.
  • Options
    mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    Snap bro. Montecristo media noche is an AWSOME maduro. Worth every penny, because you can eat the nub. I have a box of the Romeo y Julieta Viejo "C" on the way which I have not had yet. Im hoping they are a treat as well. Anyone smoke one of these beauties yet? Tonight I smoked the Graycliff Crystal PG. My buddy popped it on me, so I had no expectations for it, so it surely surpassed any that I could have had. Full of flavor, great body, a slight sweetness with a hint of spice. Complex notes came and went the whole stick. I will def. smoke one again. Keep your eye our for this one.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    I have smoked a couple of E's. They were outstanding.
  • Options
    Been on vacation since Monday and an smoking away. First cigar off the plane was a Cuban Monte Christo Edmundo and ended the evening with an Oliva G churchill. Yesterday I walked the beach very early with a Gurkha Symphony, did a CAO Cameroon in the afternoon and finished the day with a 5 Vegas Red. Today I did an early walk with a 5 Vegas Gold torpedo and just finished a Rocky Patel OSG. Tonight I'm going to smile a Cuban Cohiba Churchill I have been saving for about 6 months. So far, so good!
  • Options
    Been on vacation since Monday and an smoking away. First cigar off the plane was a Cuban Monte Christo Edmundo and ended the evening with an Oliva G churchill. Yesterday I walked the beach very early with a Gurkha Symphony, did a CAO Cameroon in the afternoon and finished the day with a 5 Vegas Red. Today I did an early walk with a 5 Vegas Gold torpedo and just finished a Rocky Patel OSG. Tonight I'm going to smoke a Cuban Cohiba Churchill I have been saving for about 6 months. So far, so good!
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Had some yardwork to do so I broke out an Rocky Patel R4 Maduro. I was gifted a couple at Christmas, had one in February and it didn't do much for me. Fired this one up and the 1/2 to 3/4 inch wasn't bad, then it started. Had to touch up the burn 4-5 times, it almost went out on me several times between puffs, the flavors did nothing for me, so finally with about 2" to go, she went to sleep. One would think it was overly humidified but the humidor it came out of is at 64%. One other note, the Maduro wrapper must be dyed. I went to remove the band, my fingers were damp from watering the lawn, my finger and band became a bit stained with a brown color. Might be good for someone else, just not for me.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well, I tried something new today, and by new I mean fresh out of the fiver I purchased... which was probably not so good of an idea on my part.

The cigar is a Camacho Havana H2, and quite frankly I was unimpressed. I think if it is going to be a decent cigar, it will need some rest as it was rather harsh out of the package and I just didn't care for it. I'll try one when they are properly rested and see if my opinion changes.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    ashmaster:
    Had some yardwork to do so I broke out an Rocky Patel R4 Maduro. I was gifted a couple at Christmas, had one in February and it didn't do much for me. Fired this one up and the 1/2 to 3/4 inch wasn't bad, then it started. Had to touch up the burn 4-5 times, it almost went out on me several times between puffs, the flavors did nothing for me, so finally with about 2" to go, she went to sleep. One would think it was overly humidified but the humidor it came out of is at 64%. One other note, the Maduro wrapper must be dyed. I went to remove the band, my fingers were damp from watering the lawn, my finger and band became a bit stained with a brown color. Might be good for someone else, just not for me.
    I'm a fan of the RP brand for the most part but was also disappointed by the R4. Tried it several times and it just never did it for me. Trying a Carlos Torano 1916 tonight.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Tccargill..You just helped me decide on my cigar of the day with the CAOx2 That one is getting to be one of my favorites. I have been buying them in single or fives but it is time to get a box to age. I have been going throuh the Vega line Classic Gold andA's but have yet to hit the Miamis they too should br good.
  • Options
    Yesterday I tried two new smokes. I did an early walk with a Gurkha Shaggy. Good cigar, nice flavor. In the afternoon I did a 5 Vegas Miami torpedo and it was fantastic. Definitely getting more of these. This morning I did a Rocky Vintage 99. Another great smoke. On the "menu" for later is a 5 Vegas Serie A Apex and tonight I am going to do a Oliva V fig. Can't wait for that one!
  • Options
    sdip damn man we need to hang out. Where do you get the time to smoke 3 a day lol.
  • Options
    mikalsanmikalsan Posts: 53
    madurofan:
    sdip damn man we need to hang out. Where do you get the time to smoke 3 a day lol.

Me three! We can get ourselves a little Herf going. Only, you'll all have to come to Iraq or Hawaii till I get back to VA.

Oh wait, I already smoke two or three a day. I just got back from my first Perdome Cabinet Series Champagnes. WOW. I'm not going to review yet because it was way too loose for my liking which would drop its over all score by 3 of 10 points. I will tell you it had a slight honey note and pepper to offset. I'll give it more time in the humi, and let you know. I would urge you all to get a couple for the holidays though.
  • Options
    mikal where in VA? and when you getting back?
  • Options
    Today Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Robusto.. This is one of the best new cigars I have had in a while. C.Com consultatn Jeff wrote this one up in the latest catalog so I gave it a try. It's listed as mild to medium but I would say closer to medium becaue of all the flavors going on. Nice even burn, tighter draw than most cigars put perfect for this one. The Ct. Ecuador wrapper does it for me, Great taste too a lot of flavors all at one time you keep drawing to figure them all out, an hour later I thought Better order more of these.
  • Options
    Yesterday was kind of a special day so I started off with a Montecristo #2, yea baby it was good. While grilling some filet mignons and Chilean Sea Bass had myself a 10th anni Camacho Corojo, good smoke but it doesn't quite compare to the Monte. And to finish up the day a slice of 7 layer cake and a cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee, oh yea the smoke ..... a Padron 80th anniversary Maduro, I was in heaven.
  • Options
    Hey Ash, That sounds like a real special day. Birthday ? Anniversary ? My favorite of tha bunch would be the Padron for sure..got a few last winter as a gift and truely enjoyed them.
  • Options
    It was the dreaded birthday, not really it was pretty cool. You are soooo right, the Padron was the best of the bunch, it was absolutely wonderful. IMHO one of the best cigars I've smoked.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311
    ashmaster happy b-day. Tonight I went with a trusted and favorite a fuente hemingway classic. I have good collection of cigars, but there is nothing like a tried and true cigar, along with a good glass of scotch.
  • Options
    carmike22carmike22 Posts: 70
    Making me very jelous ashmaster. I haven't had a 80th in awhile. But happy birthday man sounds like you had a good one. As for me I'm out on the deck have a Illusione cg-4. Pretty awesome smoke. Hope everyone has a goodnight. And I know this is old news but I haven't been on i awhile, but go Red Wings! Stanely Cup champs baby!
  • Options
    No birthday should be dreaded friend, A celebration of all the great things we have, and the people we share them with. Happy belated birthday.
  • Options

Hey there, only on vacation and this is a special one. Brought my wife and three kids to Hawaii and first time I have taken more than a week (12 days) in twenty years.. I travel a great deal and have been saving up my points for a long time. Got hotel, car, flights and Marriott vouchers for nothing. So splurging on a bunch of good cigars is a no brainer. Got six days left and plan to do three a day, every day.

If you're ever around Chicago you need to look me up.

• Options
    I spent two week in Hawaii a few years ago, Visited several islands ate too much, drank too much, stayed up too late every night, Just got married to the most beautiful woman I ever knew.. I didn't smoke cigars then, worst damn vacation I ever had.
  • Options
    Yesterday I started off with a CI Legends - Grey Label (Cusano). Nice smoke, pretty creamy. In the afternoon I tried the much heralded Oliva V. Did a real big one - kind of an odd shape. Think it might have been a figurado. Anyway, smoke was great, but the draw was really tough and made it much less than enjoyable. The flavors and complexity were there, but it was too much work. Last night I had a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior. A real beauty w lots of flavor. This morning I took a long stroll with a RP Vintage 92 torpedo. As always, just a great cigar.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the B-day wishes, I did have a good time.

I had a couple of smokes last night, a Savinelli 2004 Special Selection Robusto aged since Sept '06.....this flavor was only ok to me at best, the burn was horrendous (the bunching seemed to be off center). The second was a La Aurora 1495 Robusto with a minimun of aging. I enjoyed this smoke, the burn was excellent, nice amounts of smoke and the flavor profile was wonderful, rich, smooth, complex.
  • Options
    Last night I went back to an old favorite, the Cusano 18 Double Connecticut. I had wanted to smoke this one on Saturday, but got dragged out to Austin Grill to see some of a friend's friend's band playing (did that make any grammatical sense?). Worked out for the best since it gave me an extra day to get over this cold/sinus stuff that's been keeping me away from the stogies. Instead on Saturday I chilled out to some good music and a few beers/margaritas and got to see some cool people I hadn't seen in a while. That, of course, put me in a really good mood, so after work yesterday I lit it up and it smoked and burned perfectly. Woodsy, earthy, nutty flavors with a slight spice undertone in varying proportions throughout... towards the end I got a very distinct "pine" taste. Ended up nubbing it.

Only thing I regret is that we had some ridiculous thunderstorms on Saturday, and for some reason I find it relaxing to sit out on the porch during a thunderstorm (especially with a good cigar). Probably going to get myself electrocuted one day for doing that.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    gott.des.feuer:
    Only thing I regret is that we had some ridiculous thunderstorms on Saturday, and for some reason I find it relaxing to sit out on the porch during a thunderstorm (especially with a good cigar). Probably going to get myself electrocuted one day for doing that.
    i do the same thing. all the storms in my area come in from the west. my porch faces west. I sit there and watch them roll in with a good smoke. Ive only been forced inside once when a lightning bolt struck about 30 feet in front of me in the middle of the street. scared the bajeeezus outa me. as soon as i collected myself my first thought was: "well, thats my signal to head in"
    a few moments later the tornato warning went off. good thing i went in.

today i had another sancho panza double maduro. this is a great cigar. It seems like just yesterday i bought the box. now im thinkin of buying another one. the price is so good too i cant help but reach for one of tese when i open the humi.