Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Today was a Cuvee Blanc Robusto. I keep a travel Humidor in my truck with six various cigars in it. I reached in and picked this one blind. I have had several of these previously so I knew what to expect. A very fine cigar. I really enjoy Ecuadorian wrappers, and this one has it. This one is well worth a try.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Ah tonight was a 5 Vegas Classic Churchill. Came with the 5 for 5 sampler. I got my second 5 for 5 today and it had a nice surprise, I guess they were out of Oliva G so I got a Robusto Comacho 1965 ... how about that for a $1 stick. Gracias ccom.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nothing last night but today im gunna try and get in a RP honduran classic. Its one of the RPs i havent tried. I hope it goes well. Ive been a big fan of honduran tobacco for the last few months. ill keep all of you posted.
  • Options
    firemshllfiremshll Posts: 19
    My Nubs will be here today. I think I'll spark one of those up tonight. Either that or a 5 Vegas that I ordered to try.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    fire, I am officially a nub fan. The cameroon 468 box press is my fave.
  • Options
    Awesome. I can't wait to get home today. I just checked and UPS delivered them a few minutes ago. Gotta go - gotta get work done!!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Started off my day nicely with an Oliva Serie G Cameroon robusto. This was very enjoyable cigar, and I must say that I'm taking a liking to box-pressed cigars more and more. It started off fairly mild, nothing to write home about, but as the cigar progressed it began to increase in flavor and complexity and about half way through it started to leave me with a moderate, peppery finish. not once was this cigar harsh, it burned even the whole way down and it held a tight, light grey ash firmly. Spent just under an hour with this...and it really is amazing how the world stops when you've got a good cigar and nothing but time.

I will be revisiting this cigar and could easily have this as an everyday smoker.

Joe
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    Tonight I chose something that I knew I would like since it is my last night in Iraq. Just went with a nice standby. The Gurkha Regent.
  • Options
    pilot711pilot711 Posts: 176
    Smoking a Cuvee No 151 right now. This is the first one I have tried. About half way through it and I am really enjoying it.
  • Options
  • Options
    Bsneed51Bsneed51 Posts: 22

A Fuente 858 Maduro that has been calling to me every time I open the humi.

• Options
    kodkod Posts: 41
    Tonight was a vintage rocky 92 robusto. very nice it is one of my favorites, and is always on my list of "to-buy".
  • Options
    Maduro.. I ordered the same 5 for 5. How can any one not put that on their order ? I am waiting by my mailbox to get my hands on it ! CAO Black VR Moby today and that should appeal to the Madoro lovers out there. It's a black with an extra kick from the great Maduro wrapper. Find them amd try one!
  • Options
    i did like the VR. i may have to get some more of those.
  • Options
    rdnstn:
    Tonight I chose something that I knew I would like since it is my last night in Iraq. Just went with a nice standby. The Gurkha Regent.

Nice choice... I think I still have one of those from the New Year's sampler, might have to revisit it this week...

Tonight I tried the Cuban Cabinet churchill from Sol Cubano. Very very tasty. My only regret is that I didn't let it rest, so it burned a bit unevenly. Definitely getting some more of those at some point.
  • Options
    LarryDLarryD Posts: 59

I'm glad your getting to come home! Thanks for your service.

• Options
    Big DeanBig Dean Posts: 120
    I just finished smoking a Gurkha Titan, not the regular size but the one I got in a five pack at checkout. It was very delicious. I don't know exactly what the flavors were, I think I tasted leather. Nice even burn, and smoked beautifully. I would never pay regular price, but when I get a deal, I can't complain. Along with the beautiful weather and wine I accompanied with this cigar, it was a fantastic afternoon.
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    As you know I'm not really into the Gurkha line of cigars but that doesn't mean I won't smoke them. Last night I fired up a Gurkha Ltd. Master Select Robusto that had been aging since Aug '06, not to bad (prefer a little more giddy-up) but not bad.

I don't normally work on Saturday but were in the middle of a major transitional project so had to go in. After a LONG day I stopped by my B & M to see what was new. They had just received the Tatuaje Blacks and the last 2 had my name on them. After the day I had, one was going to being smoked tonight!!!! But before I could I had some yardwork to do, so enjoyed an Onyx Reserve Robusto, nice smoke while keeping busy.
    Let me say that if any of you have the opportunity to get your hands on some, do yourself a favor, don't smoke them. just send them my way, you won't like them........And with that, it was actually a wonderful smoke (Now I wished I had asked to reserve a jar for me). Very smooth and rich flavors, the finish was clean and creamy, great burn, solid white ash, plenty of smoke.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Cusano 59 rare cameroon preferido. Havent smoked too many perfectos or cameroon cigars. They live up their name though. The draw was tough at first as expected and cigar was really toothy. Mellowed to a great smoke after the taper and the ash was a gorgeous white. This cigar had medium flavors and a full body. I was pleasantly suprised and I wish i had a few more to smoke. I'm halfway in and fully enjoying this one...way to go CCOM and cusano.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406

Yesterday I had a couple of cigars for the first time. I did a Rocky Patel OSG robusto first. It was a great cigar and full of flavor. Liked it so much I went and ordered another box. Last night I had a Gurhka 1887 - mild but a good cigar. Selected the same cigar in maduro first, but it was bad. Very plugged and quite dry. Had to toss it.

BTW - just signed up for the Cigar of the Month club. Looking forward to it.

• Options
    Today it was a Punch in the punch size, what is it 6x44 or so? Anyhow, I liked this smoke quite a bit. The weather was absolutely wonderful as the sun is waning and a slight breeze is blowing, I could have spent 3 hours with a cigar and some ice water and not known it was more than five minutes. I'm certainly glad I have some more of these in my humidor as I will be delighted to smoke one again, and again.

Next on the list will be a locally rolled cigar that was given to my mother as a freebie at a charity event she was participating in. This is a nice looking torpedo and I can't wait to see how it smokes.

Joe
  • Options

This morning I did an old favorite, a 5 Vegas Gold with coffee. As usual, an excellent morning smoke. I tried a cheap cigar this afternoon, an Oliveros Classic and got what I paid for. Poorly constructed and lacking flavor. Tonight I tried something new, a Padilla Hybrid and it was very good. Great construction and good flavor that stayed consistent until the end.

Leaving on a 10 day vacation tomorrow and I stocked myself up with over 25 cigars. Got some real good ones in the mix and I look forward to smoking them all!

• Options
    sdip:

This morning I did an old favorite, a 5 Vegas Gold with coffee. As usual, an excellent morning smoke. I tried a cheap cigar this afternoon, an Oliveros Classic and got what I paid for. Poorly constructed and lacking flavor. Tonight I tried something new, a Padilla Hybrid and it was very good. Great construction and good flavor that stayed consistent until the end.

Leaving on a 10 day vacation tomorrow and I stocked myself up with over 25 cigars. Got some real good ones in the mix and I look forward to smoking them all!

Sounds fun. Where to on vacation?
  • Options
    ashmasterashmaster Posts: 237
    Yesterday I was able to have a couple of smokes. While out relaxing on the patio had a Maria Guerrero petite corona, it was ok. In the evening while getting ready to grill, a Padilla 1968 robusto was going to be had. Well, as it turned out I was the one to be had. The person that rolled it must have had a really, really bad day. This was the worst Padilla I have ever had. The flavor profile was terrible, the burn was even worse. This is not the Padilla quality that I am accustomed to. I will have to give this cigar a second chance. Oh well...can't win them all.
  • Options
    Mikey TMikey T Posts: 3
    Tonight is a Cigar.com Brazilian Label Churchill ... you can't beat the price. The draw was smooth! Tasty!!
  • Options
    I just finished a Nub 464 Habano. I posted my review under the review section if you would like to read.
  • Options
    Hawaii with the family. First time here, pretty excited. I travel a great deal, so I was able to turn in various points for my hotel rooms, flights and rental car. So, for the most part it's a free trip.
  • Options
    sdip:
    Hawaii with the family. First time here, pretty excited. I travel a great deal, so I was able to turn in various points for my hotel rooms, flights and rental car. So, for the most part it's a free trip.
    Very Nice!
  • Options
    I mentioned a few posts back that I had received a lovely torpedo (6.5 x52) that is locally rolled. Well, today I pulled it from my humidor and settled down in my smoking chair outside with a glass of ice water. Once again, the weather was beautiful, I'd say mid 70's with a slight breeze. Upon inspection, the construction seems to be flawless, the cigar has a mild and slightly sweet pre-light aroma. After lighting it up, clipping it and taking my first draw, I noticed that it left a sweet taste on my lips. This started out as a mild, yet flavorful cigar, the flavor was a prominent cedar with an after taste of roasted almonds, and that pretty much describes the first third. Now, the second third is where it got interesting, as a spiciness began to show itself, though very mild at first it, built into a moderate peppery taste and what had started as a mild cigar was now more in the realm of a medium strength stogie, all the while there was a certain sweetness to the smoke. The second third, while giving way to a spiciness, also gave way to a different taste on the finish. What had been a delightful roasted almond flavor had transformed into a taste of moderately strong black coffee... Let me tell you now that I was really enjoying this smoke. As it progressed into the final third, the spiciness was ramped up and it began to lose its sweetness, but I was simply enticed further by the new development, and by the time I was finished I had about one inch left that was not ash.

Side note: The ash held for 3 inches before I pulled it off, not doubt it would have grown longer.

Burn time: 90 minutes...though it felt like 20.

Ratings:
    Burn: 10. Dead even from start to finish.
    Draw: 9.5. Neither too loose nor like trying to suck a tennis ball through a garden hose.
    Appearance: 7.5. The wrapper had a few minor issues, none of which detracted from the smoke though.
    Flavor: 8.5. Probably the most subjective category, but I found the flavor profile to be most excellent. The cigar maintained a good level of complexity and was never dull or lacking character.
    Overall impression: 9.3. This was a consistent smoke that was much more than I was expecting.

Taking the average, I give this cigar an 8.9 rating. Definitely one I will be smoking again.

Joe
  • Options
    Today was a camacho 1962 robusto. I expected this one to be pretty full bodied and it delivered. It actually made me a little light headed but was very pleasant. Had a nice aroma and a taste that seemed like black coffee to me with a nutty taste as well. Burned this one down to the end and had a long aftertaste as well. I got a few more that I believe I will age.