Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    well wheelie, you have sold me on the 460, I'm going to have to add a couple to my order when them damn relics come in (wink wink ccom...). Wheelie, did you enjoy the opus x's more than the DC 30th?
    No way. But that is just because the OpusX is way too strong for me. I have a few that have been aging for a about 3 years now and a few more that have probably 9 months on them. I think in a couple more years I'll have one! :-) I may try some of the smaller sized though since I mostly have larger ring guages like the robusto and torpedo. I'm on a no buying restriction though so I doubt I'll get some anytime soon.
  • Options
    Well, it's my birthday tomorrow and I doubt I will be able to smoke so I think I changed my mind about tonight. I may somke a GoF. Problem is I think I want a Don Carlos and not a Carlito but I have a lot of the Carlito and only a few of the Don Carlos. Hrm....................... It's probably been about 1 1/2 - 2 years since I had one though so I may just say fuckit.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    rwheelwright:
    Well, it's my birthday tomorrow and I doubt I will be able to smoke so I think I changed my mind about tonight. I may somke a GoF. Problem is I think I want a Don Carlos and not a Carlito but I have a lot of the Carlito and only a few of the Don Carlos. Hrm....................... It's probably been about 1 1/2 - 2 years since I had one though so I may just say fuckit.

Happy Birthday Wheels !!! The Don Carlos are one of my favs I say jusy just say screw it and burn one ...lifes too damn short enjoy it 'bro ...
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Yesterday was a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero ( Maduro ?) from someone here. This cigar was unreal.. Full bodied for sure, with this very distinct taste I loved.. Spicy, tons of smoke, with this slight sweetness. Full bodied, full flavored, long finish I can't say enough about how much I liked this cigar. The middle settled down a little but what a kick at the end. I had a Coke with this one because the strength got a little too intense at times, NOT for the novice. Thanks to the person who sent it to me. Sorry I forgot. This seems like a Maddy cigar to me, correct me if I am wrong.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kaspera79:
    Yesterday was a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero ( Maduro ?) from someone here. This cigar was unreal.. Full bodied for sure, with this very distinct taste I loved.. Spicy, tons of smoke, with this slight sweetness. Full bodied, full flavored, long finish I can't say enough about how much I liked this cigar. The middle settled down a little but what a kick at the end. I had a Coke with this one because the strength got a little too intense at times, NOT for the novice. Thanks to the person who sent it to me. Sorry I forgot. This seems like a Maddy cigar to me, correct me if I am wrong.
    those are some good smokes! I may have to have one tomorrow.

Unfortunately, no stick for me today...I'll make up for it tomorrow.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:

Happy Birthday Wheels !!! The Don Carlos are one of my favs I say jusy just say screw it and burn one ...lifes too damn short enjoy it 'bro ...
    Thanks brother! I DID burn the GoF Don Carlos. It reminds me of the VSG robusto but way way better! I don't remember it being THIS good. But man, I LOVED IT!!!!!
  • Options
    kaspera79:

That is a awsome stick Kas , one that I really enjoy ...glad you liked it
  • Options
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:

Brandon you lite up that big 'ol Salamon yet ?
  • Options
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:

not yet...that may be the end to this cigar smoking day I'm having.

So far, I'm starting off the day with an Illusione Epernay le petit. A very pleasant smoke to begin the day. Medium bodied for sure that has a bit of spice and has developed a sweetness to it. After about an inch in I got a floral note that has gotten more pronounced. A delicious cigar IMO.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Started the day with my first Perdomo ESV 91 Second, connecticut. Finally a Perdomo i like! This thing was great! No idea why is was a second, construction, burn and draw were all top notch. Great flavor and very smooth. Superb morning cigar! Definate addition to the humi which is currently busting at the seams...hmmm..time to go on a bombing run...
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    So, I had my first Decade last night. I was going to have another Ruination, but decided to try the Decade instead, based on all the great reviews I have read. I've got to say, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a great medium bodied smoke with a ton of flavor and even burn, but I had wrapper problems. As soon as I lit it, the wrapper cracked from the foot up to about an inch into the cigar. There was also a small crack at the second band pre-light. Finally, a large cracked developed along the wrapper overlap about two-thirds into the cigar. It was definitely a disappointment from that regard, but a good smoke I'll definitely have again.

And it had been in the humi for several months, so I don't believe that had anything to do with it. Anyone else had a problem like this?
  • Options
    cholmes8310:
    So, I had my first Decade last night. I was going to have another Ruination, but decided to try the Decade instead, based on all the great reviews I have read. I've got to say, I was a little disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a great medium bodied smoke with a ton of flavor and even burn, but I had wrapper problems. As soon as I lit it, the wrapper cracked from the foot up to about an inch into the cigar. There was also a small crack at the second band pre-light. Finally, a large cracked developed along the wrapper overlap about two-thirds into the cigar. It was definitely a disappointment from that regard, but a good smoke I'll definitely have again. And it had been in the humi for several months, so I don't believe that had anything to do with it. Anyone else had a problem like this?

I think if it had a pre-light crack as you said already there was something going on with this stick...maybe something happened to it before you bought it ??? I 've never had a problem with a decade ...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Started the day with my first Perdomo ESV 91 Second, connecticut. Finally a Perdomo i like! This thing was great! No idea why is was a second, construction, burn and draw were all top notch. Great flavor and very smooth. Superb morning cigar! Definate addition to the humi which is currently busting at the seams...hmmm..time to go on a bombing run...
    have you had the habano yet? that's the only one I like..
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    I went with smoking a pipe this time, didn't really feel up to a cigar and the wind pretty much squashed any hope of a stogie. The tobacco I went with is called Indian Pudding from a shop down in Seaport Village in San Diego. Nice and mellow, very smooth and helped me relax after finals this past week.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    We had a farewell cook-out/kegger for a good friend of ours that is leaving on Wednesday yesterday. I had a La Bonita connecticut I got in trade from Beta. It started off kinda plain, not bad but nothing really special either. About halfway in, it developed a much more flavorful profile, all in all a great stick. I'm glad I have a couple more of those, and now I am really itching to try the other ones. Later in the evening, I had a Legends Copper Label, one of my favorite infused sticks.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Had a oliva serie o while sitting on my front porch on what was a truly beautiful day...temps were in the 80s here during the day and cooled off nicely around 8 p.m. I've had a few olivas and thought they were OK, but not floored. For some reason, this stick just hit the spot. Perfect burn and not a single issue with this smoke, and it has a ton of flavor. This was very fresh, just got it from COTM but I wanted a robusto and my options were limited, so I thought I'd try it as we've been talking about smoking a fresh stick on another thread - so I thought I'd fire it up. Great stick, for the price on this, I'll definitely be back for more.
  • Options
    TizzleTizzle Posts: 13
    RP Decade for me tonight..... can't put these down
  • Options
    Had myself a Hemingway Signature today. Love it. Not as good as the GoF but still tasty.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Luko:
    Had a oliva serie o while sitting on my front porch on what was a truly beautiful day...temps were in the 80s here during the day and cooled off nicely around 8 p.m. I've had a few olivas and thought they were OK, but not floored. For some reason, this stick just hit the spot. Perfect burn and not a single issue with this smoke, and it has a ton of flavor. This was very fresh, just got it from COTM but I wanted a robusto and my options were limited, so I thought I'd try it as we've been talking about smoking a fresh stick on another thread - so I thought I'd fire it up. Great stick, for the price on this, I'll definitely be back for more.
    The O is a really good cigar. I've kind of forgotten about it, as I usually get the Serie V. I had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet tonight. I haven't smoked in a couple of days, I've been fighting off a cold. I probably should've waited another day, but I couldn't resist. I had a long day at work.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:

as hinted earlier I am smoking the La Flor Dominicana Ligero Salamon. Before I break into the details on the smoking experience, I have to give big props to Gene for sending this stick my way. I don't know what he shelled out for this, but after some research, this is not a regular LFD. The Salamon is a limited release (only 300 boxes of 10 were released). That being said, it is an expensive cigar online and Gene was way too generous to send one my way. Thanks Gene, as most know, an incredible BOTL.

This stick is impeccably constructed and after cutting has a great draw. First light reveals a well known LFD ligero full body full of leather and slight sweetness. The first puffs produce tons of smoke. As I get into it a bit, a short lived tingle developed on the pack of my tongue. Still full of leathery sweetness. After a couple inches, it develops a hint of cocoa-ish coffee note. I can tell that this is going to have a nice strength to it. Getting to the halfway mark, it gets a bit sweeter with a bit of fruitiness. This subsides and moves back to the leathery goodness. I'm now starting the last third of this 7 X 64 perfecto. It seems to be getting a bit more body and remains leathery sweet. A fantastic smoke.
  • Options
    nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    5 vegas gold box pressed that I aged for about a year...i cut it with a punch and it fell apart...it was kinda spungy when I pulled it out...I was afraid it was too wet. The draw on it is as loose as suckin on a toilet paper roll...kinda pissed, haven't had this experience with 5 vegas yet... paired with a glass of muscadine wine and an episode of two and a half men on a breezy cool arkansas summer night.
  • Options
    hawaiianbasshawaiianbass Posts: 123
    I haven't posted here in a while.

It was a three cigar day for me. I started out with a 5 Vegas Gold. I was suprised how much I enjoyed because I've never really been a big fan of the Gold's. Next I sparked up a Fonseca Habana Seleccion which was alright; nothing to write home about. And I finished out the night with a 5 Vegas Miami which was very satisfing.

CK
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

Well thanks Geno-O I lost track of where it came from, that one was great !
  • Options
    Had a partagas Serie S torpedo today. Typical partagas. Decent burn, nice taste, good construction.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    gmill880:
    kaspera79:

Well thanks Geno-O I lost track of where it came from, that one was great !

I don't think I was the sender Kas ...just commenting on how much I like them & should have made that clearer ...but really glad you liked it anyway bro ...
  • Options
    bbc020:
    gmill880:
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:

as hinted earlier I am smoking the La Flor Dominicana Ligero Salamon. Before I break into the details on the smoking experience, I have to give big props to Gene for sending this stick my way. I don't know what he shelled out for this, but after some research, this is not a regular LFD. The Salamon is a limited release (only 300 boxes of 10 were released). That being said, it is an expensive cigar online and Gene was way too generous to send one my way. Thanks Gene, as most know, an incredible BOTL.

This stick is impeccably constructed and after cutting has a great draw. First light reveals a well known LFD ligero full body full of leather and slight sweetness. The first puffs produce tons of smoke. As I get into it a bit, a short lived tingle developed on the pack of my tongue. Still full of leathery sweetness. After a couple inches, it develops a hint of cocoa-ish coffee note. I can tell that this is going to have a nice strength to it. Getting to the halfway mark, it gets a bit sweeter with a bit of fruitiness. This subsides and moves back to the leathery goodness. I'm now starting the last third of this 7 X 64 perfecto. It seems to be getting a bit more body and remains leathery sweet. A fantastic smoke.

I'm glad it was a good smoke for you Brandon I thought you would enjoy it. They are an awsome/impressive stick to just look at let alone smoke huh ? Your review is right on it .....
  • Options
    adamkhaliladamkhalil Posts: 80
    CAO Black. One of those cigars that makes you go "now thats a cigar"
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Ccom Brazilian Label. So far the Ccom brands have yet to impress me. The only other one I had was the Red and I couldn't really taste it so I stopped half way through. The Brazilian had a pleasant little mild sweet flavor but very, very mild and not too exciting. Both had hard draws. I have higher hopes for the corojo and cuban labels in my humi.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a Puros Indios Viejo corona media this afternoon, it was pretty decent with a nice earthy and leathery flavor going on, medium bodied. A bit later was a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet churchill second, this one was a bit tight, but it smoked well and tasted spot on, very good cigar made better by the fact that I paid little over one dollar for it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Had a La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero lancero while sitting by the pool at the hotel here in Alabama. What a great cigar.