Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Ended up going back to the lounge today to look for something I may have lost in the couch. Didnt find what I was looking for but did find a cutter and 52 cents ha ha. Had a RP Renaissance while I was there. It was pretty good, lots of leather to start off. Fell kind of flat for most of the 2nd half though.

Went to one of the local breweries today, Cigar City Brewing. Had a 32oz growler filled with an espresso brown ale. The owner gifted me 2 cigars from a nice little humi he had on site at the brewery. Both of them are locally rolled barber polls though one has a much darker wrapper than the other. He didnt know  what they were. Both are pretty dried out as I dont think his humidor was up to par. I put them in a zip lock bag with 2 water pillows, you guys think it will do any good to leave em in there for a while. I dont have a humi yet myself.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    gaberox:
    Ended up going back to the lounge today to look for something I may have lost in the couch. Didnt find what I was looking for but did find a cutter and 52 cents ha ha. Had a RP Renaissance while I was there. It was pretty good, lots of leather to start off. Fell kind of flat for most of the 2nd half though.

Went to one of the local breweries today, Cigar City Brewing. Had a 32oz growler filled with an espresso brown ale. The owner gifted me 2 cigars from a nice little humi he had on site at the brewery. Both of them are locally rolled barber polls though one has a much darker wrapper than the other. He didnt know  what they were. Both are pretty dried out as I dont think his humidor was up to par. I put them in a zip lock bag with 2 water pillows, you guys think it will do any good to leave em in there for a while. I dont have a humi yet myself.
    If your pillows are charged, you should be fine. I'm using the same method, as I'm in the same boat as you. The only thing that would worry me is that two pillows might be too much. One can keep 10 cigars safe, so I'm not sure if two would make the RH be too high.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Matt Marvel:
    gaberox:

If your pillows are charged, you should be fine. I'm using the same method, as I'm in the same boat as you. The only thing that would worry me is that two pillows might be too much. One can keep 10 cigars safe, so I'm not sure if two would make the RH be too high.

Does it make any difference if the cigars are pretty dry to began with? like crackily dry. Or are these not even worth trying to save
  • Options
    gaberox:
    Matt Marvel:
    gaberox:

Does it make any difference if the cigars are pretty dry to began with? like crackily dry. Or are these not even worth trying to save
    I would try and save them. I can't really answer your first question though, as I'm not that educated on it. I know there's somebody around here who can though. I'm just going by what I think it would do.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    gaberox:
    Matt Marvel:
    gaberox:

I would try and save them. I can't really answer your first question though, as I'm not that educated on it. I know there's somebody around here who can though. I'm just going by what I think it would do.
    The main thing you have to worry about is re-hydrating them too quickly. They can burst if rehydrated too quickly (if they are very dried out), I would suggest putting them in a bag with some other cigars and no water pillow for a day or so, then add a water pillow.
  • Options
    TizzleTizzle Posts: 13
    Rocky Patel Decade for me tonight with a couple tumblers of Gentleman Jack.... Decade's are my favorite's right now... being new to this I have plenty more to try.... but I have fallen in love with the Decades.... hard to smoke anything else.... although I did pick up a box of NUB Connie's as well as some RP Edges' this evening...... been wanting to try the NUB forever and probably will tomorrow morning...... GO LAKERS!! enjoy your smokes and the game tonight!!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Decade is a great smoke...

I had a CAO mx2 and loved it. For some reason I didn't smoke too many CAOs at first and lately I've been trying quite a few and pretty much liking them all, especially this one, the Brazilia and the Black. Italia was good too.
  • Options
    sdipsdip Posts: 406
    Started out w a Perdomo ESV 91 2nd. Next up was a Xicar Defiance. Finished the night w a CAO Black
  • Options
    TizzleTizzle Posts: 13
    Luko:
    Decade is a great smoke...

I had a CAO mx2 and loved it. For some reason I didn't smoke too many CAOs at first and lately I've been trying quite a few and pretty much liking them all, especially this one, the Brazilia and the Black. Italia was good too.

I've had the Brazilia...... packs a PUNCH!! but I enjoyed it..... smoked one with my good friend and he put his out half way through.... CAO is a brand I look forward to exploring.....
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a 5 Vegas Relic this afternoon...this cigar has been kinda hit or miss for me, the first one was really tight, the second one was perfect, the third had a good draw but I didn't get any smoke from it and now this one was back to being really tight, good flavor though, I just wish it was more consistent. I also had an ITC 10th second, in the toro variety...have I told you guys that I really like this cigar? Well I do, awesome construction, great draw and flavor, razor sharp burn, and the price...what's not to like?
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Rocky Patel Sun Grown. I got this a while back in a sampler and tonight it got lit. It was pretty tasty and had some nice body strength but nothing really all that special. It wasn't bad just not great either. Wicked short finish and gorgeous wrapper, although it cracked on me during the cut and cracked again in the middle during the smoke.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Joe, sorry to hear you've had issues with the Relics... every one has been great for me. And the mailman brought 30 more to the door today.

Tonight's smoke was a Cohiba XV 645. First one for me, a very nice smoke. Came in a sampler from Costco, of all places.
  • Options
    zoom6zoom:
    Joe, sorry to hear you've had issues with the Relics... every one has been great for me. And the mailman brought 30 more to the door today.

Tonight's smoke was a Cohiba XV 645. First one for me, a very nice smoke. Came in a sampler from Costco, of all places.
    Whoa, whoa. Costco sells cigars? I had a couple of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet churchills today. Words can't describe how much I love these things.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Yeah, I was surprised, too. No humidor, just a table, but everything was shrink wrapped and it has been fairly humid as of late. They had about a dozen different assortments, mostly brands I knew but some I was not familiar with. Prices seemed OK - I picked up a box of ten Dominicans (all different - two Cohibas, two Macanudo's, two Partagas, a Bolivar, La Gloria Cubana, Ramon Allones and a Temple Hall Estates.) for just over thirty bucks.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    oohhh man ...I can't wait to be able to light one up again, its been since last saturday evening before my heart 'malfunction' ( I know, your surprised I had a heart ! haha) I'm thinking something from a west coast BOTL ISOM as my welcome back smoke ...probably still be a few weeks though...palate should be ready I know I will be !!! No Smokes No Drinks No Work ...Damn I'm BORED !!! Lets see ...wheres that red wine list ?
  • Options
    betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    Started up my day with a Vegas Cubana, by Don Pepin Garcia. Let me tell you something... good construction is key to me enjoying a cigar; I'm a bit OCD about an even burn, and a cracking, peeling, or loose wrapper ruins a cigar for me. This cigar had all those things... but I loved it. The flavor this thing has is AMAZING. Very fun cigar, I'm glad I have four more. Anyone else had 'em? Oh, and Gmill, be careful!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    betasynn:
    Started up my day with a Vegas Cubana, by Don Pepin Garcia. Let me tell you something... good construction is key to me enjoying a cigar; I'm a bit OCD about an even burn, and a cracking, peeling, or loose wrapper ruins a cigar for me. This cigar had all those things... but I loved it. The flavor this thing has is AMAZING. Very fun cigar, I'm glad I have four more. Anyone else had 'em? Oh, and Gmill, be careful!
    I dig em...just about anything DPG has been a winner for me.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I'm currently puffing on a Perdomo Habano Corojo Robusto. A first for me. Very nice cigar with near perfect construction and draw IMO. Great complex flavors, especially about half way in. I'm enjoying it.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    I lit up an Anejo No. 50 that I've been saving for my birthday today, and to also celebrate my new lounge chair on the back porch. New lounge chair= awesome. Anejo= Eh. I'll smoke another one to make sure I didn't get a dud, but it wasn't great.
  • Options
    Happy birthday, dude love! I had a Garcia y Garcia My Father, which I really enjoyed. Great flavor, and no harshness toward the end, just a strong tobacco presence. Really stellar smoke.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Dude Love:
    I lit up an Anejo No. 50 that I've been saving for my birthday today, and to also celebrate my new lounge chair on the back porch. New lounge chair= awesome. Anejo= Eh. I'll smoke another one to make sure I didn't get a dud, but it wasn't great.

You can solve that problem by sending them to me .........the Anejo's NOT the lawn chair ...seriously Happy Birthday man may you have many more ...
  • Options
    Had a couple of good ones today...an Illusione CG-4 in the afternoon and a Joya de Nicaragua Antaño belicoso to end the night...very good cigars, though I give the nod to the Joya, it's just terrific.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had a great cigar this evening courtesy of our friend Jozer, a La Aroma de Cuba> Excellent cigar, I have been eyeing it since I got it in, but I wanted to give it a little rest time. Admittedly I didn't give it much, but it was an awesome cigar nonetheless. Thanks Jo, that stick made my night!
  • Options
    Glad you enjoyed it Tony. That is one I really enjoy myself, been in the humi for about 4 months now, so it was well rested when I sent it your way.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I had a don carlos 30th anniversary thanks to wheelie, and thought it was a good cigar, but not worth the price tag. even had a uneven burn...
  • Options
    Edited: Double post
  • Options
    So yesterday, in summary, I had a pretty awesome smoking day; started off with that great vegas cubana, then the my father, then a gurkha microbatch, followed up shortly after by a Tatuaje. Good quadfecta of smokes.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    I had a don carlos 30th anniversary thanks to wheelie, and thought it was a good cigar, but not worth the price tag. even had a uneven burn...
    I definately agree that they are not worth the $30+. Maybe $15, max. But you are paying for name, aging, plus all profits go to the CFCF so I'm sure the price is jacked up for that. Also, if you look at the price for the 30 cigars plus the humidor and matching travel humidor it was $1250. If you take what they are selling the single cigars for ($34.95 for the robusto and $39.95 for the double robusto and toro) it ends up being $1148.50 for the 30 cigars. So, the humidor and travel humidor are only $101.50? Nah, there is a HUGE markup on the cigars by the sellers. The travel humidor goes for $275 itself and although they do not offer the humidor by itself a similar humidor is $695. So, $1250 - $695 - $275 = $280. That comes out to be 9.33 a piece!

Sorry for the math and my little rant. I actually did this for myself to see how much they really should be going for.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Last night I had a Nub Maduro 460. This one was really really really really good. Much better than the torpedo I had. However, I smoked a lot when I had the torpedo so my taste may not have been perfectly on. I have a few more to try after some ago. Man, I really want to smoke another one now though...

I think tonight might be a Hemingway Signature. Hrm... Choices, choices
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    well wheelie, you have sold me on the 460, I'm going to have to add a couple to my order when them damn relics come in (wink wink ccom...). Wheelie, did you enjoy the opus x's more than the DC 30th?