Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I like that one handy, unfortunately it seems to be plagued with burn and draw issues, usually they go hand in hand, so if it draws good it will probably burn good too...I just love the flavor.

Today was a 2fer. Started in the afternoon with a new one for me, a Gurkha Turk. I liked it, it tasted less like a Gurkha and more like a normal cigar, good flavors too. I just finished up with a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet second churchill which was awesome, not a flaw to be found without a microscope and the burn was razor sharp the whole way down...obviously the flavor was top notch, I'm consistently impressed with this line.
  • Options
    handypantzhandypantz Posts: 86
    Good choice man....Olivia is a great cigar to start with. Good size too....with cigars, size definitely....DOES NOT MATTER.....its all what you like. Don't feel like you have to smoke a 2 hour jaw breaker for some macho experience. I enjoy smaller cigars myself more often and I have smoked for going on 4 years now.
  • Options
    j0z3r.....mmmm Gurkha....mmm Sol Cubano. I think you and I should hang out or something. Great choices. So far not a burn issue with this cigar yet and it is drawing well.
    I am enjoying this cigar way more than I should!
  • Options
    Is there such a thing as enjoying a cigar too much? I mean, Monica Lewinsky aside?
  • Options
    Ohh Monica....just thinking of her voluptuous body makes me wanna grab a Gurkha Beast and fire up!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    An exceptionally bad day calls for a 2 smoke night! First was a Gurkha Black Puro which i didnt really enjoy. Great construction and perfect burn, but light on flavor, really not what i was expecting from that thick black wrapper. Next(after readeing what joe smoked) was a Gurkha Fuerte. My first one and i was impressed. Wrapper cracked half way through but was salvagable. Very good flavor, very smooth and plumes of smoke.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I liked it, it tasted less like a Gurkha and more like a normal cigar, good flavors too.
    Quote of the year. Its going in my Signature.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I liked it, it tasted less like a Gurkha and more like a normal cigar, good flavors too.
    I'm confused, gurkha has some good ones, that is a very BS quote!!! On other notes, I'm having a CI legends Black label which is a nice cigar. Out of them all I like the black and white the most.
  • Options
    Doughty421Doughty421 Posts: 39
    Had a RyJ Researve Real last night. Wasn't all that impressed but it could have been me. Tonight will be a Nub Maduro.
  • Options
    thizzcorethizzcore Posts: 48
    ah i really want to try the maduro but my cigar store seems to be slacking on getting them in. and they even got a new order in. Guess that shows how much they care about a customers requests...ahh the wait is still on lol.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I'm confused, gurkha has some good ones, that is a very BS quote!!!
    BS it is not...actually what I meant was that I've noticed a lot of Gurkha cigars have a taste or something that seems to be unique to Gurkha, something I've never picked up from another brand. By that reasoning, Gurkha cigars are not normal they're unique...nothing bad about them, though I'm not a fan of most of them.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Sitting on my deck as the sky darkens, feeling tonight's fog roll in while I smoke a 5 Vegas 'A' and drink a hot cup of tea. Life is good.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    BS it is not...actually what I meant was that I've noticed a lot of Gurkha cigars have a taste or something that seems to be unique to Gurkha, something I've never picked up from another brand. By that reasoning, Gurkha cigars are not normal they're unique...nothing bad about them, though I'm not a fan of most of them.
    I know exactly what you are talking about, a guy at a B&M in Wilington I went to called it the "Gurkha Kiss".
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I broke down tonight and had my oldest Pardon 1932 40th. I have had it aging since October 2006. I have only had a few of them and haven't had one in a long long time. Taste was good. It keep changing. It would be one thing, then change to something else but then go back to the other flavor. It was weird but good. Not as strong as I remember but 2 1/2 years will do that :-) I have another 4 but not as old as that. I got them last year sometime I think.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Different smokes, different folks. That's one of my favorites, always has been. Could be the fact it is all I smoked for the first couple of years, but i have just always liked eveything about these. It's still a standby for me at all times. Sorry you didn't enjoy them.
  • Options
    Anyway, I just finished a Perdomo ESV 91. Overall, it was decent, not near what I was expecting from this one. I should clarify I picked it up today at the local B&M, and didn't age it at all. The burn and draw were excellent, but it didn't have much flavor at all. I got some taste of wood and maybe a little of a toasty note, but nothing really came through for me. All in all, not what I expected or wanted from a $12 smoke I've heard so many good things about.
  • Options
    What was the wrapper on it holmes? I've had the maduro and was thoroughly unimpressed with it, however, I love the Connecticut wrapped version...I smoke the seconds, and they are great.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    What was the wrapper on it holmes? I've had the maduro and was thoroughly unimpressed with it, however, I love the Connecticut wrapped version...I smoke the seconds, and they are great.

connecticut... like i said, may have needed some age on it. The case it is in at the B&M is right by the door, so humidity may have been off. I'll give them another try after some aging. I did pick up an Oliva Serie V as well, and am letting that one rest a while before smoking it, but looking forward to it.
  • Options
    Hmm, maybe...could be the size you smoked too, just never know. I would recommend a second try though, I can't get enough of those cigars.

I had a Liga Privada no. 9 this afternoon, this one was much better than the last couple I had that were plagued with burn issues and tasted off...I'm still not completely impressed with this one, kinda fell way short of my expectations. Not a bad cigar by any stretch though. I finished things off with a 5 Vegas Cask II...this one kicked my ass and left my head hurting. Empty stomach + strong cigar = not the best combo for me. It was damn good though.
  • Options
    brsmith21brsmith21 Posts: 207
    Stopped at a B&M today (I'm traveling for business) and picked up a few DPG El Centurians. On sale, no less. I'm smoking one now (couldn't wait). This is the first one I've ever had, and all I can say is Damn, this is a really good smoke. I mean really good! I'm seriously thinking about going back tomorrow on my way out of town and buying the rest of what he has left.
  • Options
    bnccna2bnccna2 Posts: 44
    I smoked a Padilla Habano Churchill that came with some other sticks in a sampler. I wasn't expecting much but wow. I really enjoyed this cigar, nutty with a little spice and a hint of sweet. only thing bad about it is it took about 2 hours to smoke and not a lot of flavor change.
  • Options
    Just finished a CI Anniversary Epicure. Damn good smoke, I've seen them compared to Padron's regular line, but I personnaly like these better.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Last night I got out my last 5 Vegas Classic I had in the humi and when I got the celo off of it I noticed 3 large cracks in the wrapper. Two of them were on the body about the mid point and one near the cap. When I cut it the one on the cap got worse and I had to fight the whole way through it to keep the wrapper on but it still had great flavor and didn't have a single burn issue. It was frustrating having to be so gentle and wasn't as relaxing as most smokes, but still enjoyed it with a nice glass of Maker's Mark.
  • Options
    this morning I had a cao 65th anniv. and it was a damn good smoke, thanks to the botl who put it in the pass!
  • Options
    alienmisprint:
    Just finished a CI Anniversary Epicure. Damn good smoke, I've seen them compared to Padron's regular line, but I personnaly like these better.

Funny, last night i smoked the one you sent me! The first few puffs really sucked...might have been me though, i have a tendency to over toast at times. After that it was a really good smoke. It reminds me of something i've had before i just cant put my finger one it...
  • Options
    I got some good cocoa through the nose. And yeah, I over toast sometimes too. I'm running out of new smokes, most of my cigars are ones I've been stocking up on.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    j0z3r:
    phobicsquirrel:
    madurofan:
    j0z3r:
    I know exactly what you are talking about, a guy at a B&M in Wilington I went to called it the "Gurkha Kiss".
    I knew what joe went here and there are some Gurkhas that I like, I just loved the quote.
  • Options
    kmfm0122kmfm0122 Posts: 3
    Well, i think tonight i might have to try some type of Oliva or Torano...
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    alienmisprint:

Funny, last night i smoked the one you sent me! The first few puffs really sucked...might have been me though, i have a tendency to over toast at times. After that it was a really good smoke. It reminds me of something i've had before i just cant put my finger one it...
    It took me about half an inch and one corrective light to get the burn under control on the one I smoked yesterday, but after that it was fine. Other than Padron, the only thing I can think of I have had before that is similar to it would maybe be the El Mejor Espresso.
  • Options
    Started off with an H. Upmann, a very good budget stick! I was really enjoying it until i nodded off and dropped it, grenading the wrapper. To make myself feel better i lit up a Graycliff 1666 with about 7 mos on it. WAY better than the first one i had. These really do get better the longer they sit. The rest of em i'll light later this year. First one was "right out of the box" and had a funky papery taste, the longer they sit the more it fades.