Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Had myself a Nub Cammie today, one of the smaller sizes. Not as good as the box pressed torpedo but good anyways. Tomorrow (or today actually) I'm going to a Rocky event at a local bar right down the road from my house. The owner also owns a little cigar shop in the next town and he built a deck at the bar just for cigar smoking. Not sure if Rocky will be there but I look forward to checking it out. I haven't been to that bar since I was maybe 22 - 23.
  • Options
    I smoked a 5 Vegas Gold, one of a sampler put together by Andy D. I enjoyed it with a tall Maker's Mark and water. Very smooth, but I have not developed to the point where I can distinguish a lot of the subtler tones in a stick.
    On a side note, I got my Maker's Mark barrel birth certificate and barrel number. I will be able to buy bottles from my barrel in a few years 6-7.
    This is a great site and I have been very impressed with what I have learned to this point
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    i just had a Cusano P1 and was not impressed :-( I guess later I will have to make up for it with a Gurkha or Oliva!
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I was afraid I was going to have to wait until Monday to get my Nica Libres, since it's the weekend. Fortunately, whoever delivered the mail today actually brought them to the door. So here I am, throwing back a few beers, watching the Longhorns play, and smoking a Libre. This is one of the best cigars I've had in a long time! It started out a little harsh, probably due to the light, but it smoothed out and is just amazing. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on these. This is right my alley when it comes to cigars.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Matt Marvel:
    I was afraid I was going to have to wait until Monday to get my Nica Libres, since it's the weekend. Fortunately, whoever delivered the mail today actually brought them to the door. So here I am, throwing back a few beers, watching the Longhorns play, and smoking a Libre. This is one of the best cigars I've had in a long time! It started out a little harsh, probably due to the light, but it smoothed out and is just amazing. I'm glad I pulled the trigger on these. This is right my alley when it comes to cigars.
    Oh I agree! The Nica Libre is an awesome smoke. You just can't beat them for the price. They could easily cost twice as much.
  • Options
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    Oh I agree! The Nica Libre is an awesome smoke. You just can't beat them for the price. They could easily cost twice as much.
    It was a helluva daily deal. Twenty bucks for ten! I see a lot more of these hanging around here in the future.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Matt Marvel:
    PuroFreak:
    Matt Marvel:
    It was a helluva daily deal. Twenty bucks for ten! I see a lot more of these hanging around here in the future.

getting to be one of my favorites
  • Options
    My 1st DON PEPIN GARCIA "MY FATHER".Boy I do like it.
  • Options
    Just got back from Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Well I never got to enjoy the Opus or the shaggy. I had the cohiba black and i was not that crazy about it. I think maduros might not be for me but i'm not counting them out until I try a couple more. Had the acid while out for a stroll. Did not get around to the shaggy or Opus cause the mosquitos were out of control at night and i could not find a spot to sit and "relax" without getting eaten alive. Hey rwheelwright I'm from Belleville by the way.
  • Options
    I'm at the end of a MOW to wind down the day. The longer these sit, the better they get. Today has been a great cigar day!!!!!
  • Options
    BTJR99:
    Just got back from Playa Del Carmen, Mexico. Well I never got to enjoy the Opus or the shaggy. I had the cohiba black and i was not that crazy about it. I think maduros might not be for me but i'm not counting them out until I try a couple more. Had the acid while out for a stroll. Did not get around to the shaggy or Opus cause the mosquitos were out of control at night and i could not find a spot to sit and "relax" without getting eaten alive. Hey rwheelwright I'm from Belleville by the way.
    Cool, your not to far away at all. We'll have to get together and have a "smoke out" sometime.
  • Options
    Just got back from the Rocky event. He was not there but ther had a the deal buy 3 get one free and buy 5 get 2 free. The free ones were the Sungrown. I ended up getting 2 Edge Maduro Torpedos one of which I started tonight but will have to finish tomorrow. It was my first edge. I also got an ITC 10th Torpedo, a summer 09 and a Vintage 1999.

So, today I smoked a Padilla Obsidian to start. The draw was actually good! This has been resting for about 7 months now. I had to touch up a couple of times but nothing terrible. I think the age did this one good. Then, at the event I had a RP Decade Torpedo and as I stated above I started an Edge Maduro. Overall a good night!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I decided to go with both the Gurkha and the Oliva Serie O Maduro last night because i go tsome not so great news. After the Oliva I felt much better though :-) but who wouldnt after three cigars in one day!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    I was at a friends birthday party tonight. BBQ, fire, etc. I enjoyed my first CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon. It was very good! I enjoyed it and am glad I have plenty of them to last a while.

I did bring along a few extras to the party but nobody wanted one. Later somebody busted out the gas station 8 pack of flavored cigars.....honey berry flavored. Those were...interesting to smell.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I had a ton of cigars today at the inaugural Southern California Herf. I showed up around noon at the lounge so I could welcome the guys as they came and started puffing on a Perdomo 10th Champagne which I really like for an early day cigar. Then came a Padron londres habano, my first in that size and definitely not my last. After that was an El Cobre toro from Oliva, one of my favorites from Oliva. After that was a La Aroma de Cuba robusto which I really like. I hung out with Leonard for a while afterward and smoked a La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro in the toro size, a tough customer due to over-humidification, but it worked out and was a damn tasty smoke. Now I want to get some sleep and do it all over again. :)
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I had a Fuente petite lancer at a party I went to and when I got home I lit up a Tatuaje La Riqueza, Maduro. Very peppery to start. I can see this as a nice one to age. In my novice opinion.

• Options
    Hugemoose:
    I was at a friends birthday party tonight. BBQ, fire, etc. I enjoyed my first CAO L'Anniversaire Cameroon. It was very good! I enjoyed it and am glad I have plenty of them to last a while.

I did bring along a few extras to the party but nobody wanted one. Later somebody busted out the gas station 8 pack of flavored cigars.....honey berry flavored. Those were...interesting to smell.

Honey Berry ...must have been the Backwoods ...a young kid at work used to smoke those all the time and I smoked a couple with him when I didn't have any smokes at work. Never going to replace a real cigar and I wouldn,t buy them but like you said ...interesting aroma ...

The CAO L'anniversary Cameroon ...what would you compare it to in taste to. I had an eye on those for a while and may pick up a few since I enjoy Cameroons.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    I had a ton of cigars today at the inaugural Southern California Herf. I showed up around noon at the lounge so I could welcome the guys as they came and started puffing on a Perdomo 10th Champagne which I really like for an early day cigar. Then came a Padron londres habano, my first in that size and definitely not my last. After that was an El Cobre toro from Oliva, one of my favorites from Oliva. After that was a La Aroma de Cuba robusto which I really like. I hung out with Leonard for a while afterward and smoked a La Flor Dominicana Ligero Cabinet Oscuro in the toro size, a tough customer due to over-humidification, but it worked out and was a damn tasty smoke. Now I want to get some sleep and do it all over again. :)

Holy Moses Joe, a 5 cigar day And getting to meet some of the guys for a herf ...doesn't get much better than that huh ?
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Had a three cigar day at the herf, started off with an RP Sun Grown which was great for getting the day started off. Then lit up a 5 Vegas Cask Strength II which was a slid smoke as always. And for my last smoke, which Tim so graciously gave to me, H. Uppmann Signature in some huge size. That thing lasted me at least 2 hours and was great all the way from start to finish.
  • Options
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Holy Moses Joe, a 5 cigar day And getting to meet some of the guys for a herf ...doesn't get much better than that huh ?
    Not really Gene, it was a good day. I wish it was feasible to organize something nationwide to get us all together.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    gmill880:
    j0z3r:

Not really Gene, it was a good day. I wish it was feasible to organize something nationwide to get us all together.

I would be so in on that ...
  • Options
    ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    Ashton Cabinet Series. Brought it out for the first day of NFL. Great cremey smoke, with smooth earth flavors. Having a lot of burn issues with it though. Its very uneven, but even with one or 2 corrective lights hasnt gotten bitter. Ring gauge is big though and I might have screwed up the initial light. EDIT: Could this be a humidity issue? The wrapper doesn't seem to want to burn all that well. It's tunneling in a spiral fashion.
  • Options
    TheShaunTheShaun Posts: 425
    gmill880:
    Vegas baby!
  • Options
    Had a couple today. Started with a Perdomo Habano toro in the Connecticut wrapper in the mid-afternoon, I really enjoyed this one mild-medium with a ton of flavor. Later was a Perdomo Habano maduro in the gordo 6x60 size, it was ok but I prefer the Conn.
  • Options
    Only got one in today. I finished the RP Edge Maduro that I barely started last night. It was sure tasty. I had an outdoor gig today so I smoked it on the drive there, then lit it back up for a brak and finished it at the end of the night. I hate doing that but if I didn't I would never get to smoke.
  • Options
    Celebrated the Colts win today with one of my favorites ...a LFD Cameroon Cabinet #1 ...tasty as ever and a truly relaxing smoke while I grilled a couple of rib-eye steaks for the wife and myself ...
  • Options
    gmill880:
    Celebrated the Colts win today with one of my favorites ...a LFD Cameroon Cabinet #1 ...tasty as ever and a truly relaxing smoke while I grilled a couple of rib-eye steaks for the wife and myself ...
    Sounds like a pretty good day. I'm listening to the rain fall and enjoying a Nica Libre. These have such a perfect draw, it's amazing.
  • Options
    rad1964rad1964 Posts: 190 ✭✭
    I busted out one the daily deals tonight, a Ghurka Centurian. To tell the truth, I was expecting not to like it. I had the Dragon and did not rate it high. I sniffed the cigar and got a strong barn yard smell. I was really sure I was not going to like it now... OMG, The Sultan of Brunai can't be wrong.. can you say delicious?

• Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    gmill880:
    Hugemoose:

Honey Berry ...must have been the Backwoods ...a young kid at work used to smoke those all the time and I smoked a couple with him when I didn't have any smokes at work. Never going to replace a real cigar and I wouldn,t buy them but like you said ...interesting aroma ...

The CAO L'anniversary Cameroon ...what would you compare it to in taste to. I had an eye on those for a while and may pick up a few since I enjoy Cameroons.
    Yup they were Backwoods....good call on that. I couldn't remember the name of it.

It was very mellow and creamy. Nice spice but not at all to much. Easily a medium body.....almost on the verge of mild despite it's great flavors. It reminded me a little bit of the NUB cammy, but not as sweet.

I enjoyed them. They are expensive if you buy a box though....and I didn't!
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Had a Don Pepin Cuban Classic last night. It had been through a "humidor of death" last year during the summer, so it wasn't a great smoke. Had it's good moments, but every once in a while I would catch a bad spot, not so good lol. It burned really strange as well, so an all around not enjoyable smoke, but the evening was amazing out.