Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I thought the Virtuoso was somewhat similar in taste and body to the DE Liga Privada 9. I'd have to try them both close together to be sure, but one definitely reminded me of the other.

Today I tired a La Aurora Preferido Sapphire, the Connecticut one. First things first, it was good and I did like it. I haven't researched it, but the wrapper tasted like an Ecuador Connecticut and not a US Conn shade, looked that way too...I am basing this on the fact that A) it is darker and not as silky as most Conn. shade wrappers I've seen, and B) the taste is more dominant with cedar and less creamy notes, which is something I've come to expect from Ecuador Conn. I'm rambling a bit here, but basically it all boils down to this: I think I would have preferred the smooth, creamy notes and have the cedar dialed back a notch. Good cigar though and I'm happy for the price I paid. On a comparison note, it tasted similar (probably due to wrapper) to the DPG Tabacos Baez...at least to me it did.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    I think I am going to break open a Partagas Limited Decadas 1996 that I have had since 06. I bought one in 06 and one in 07. I think it's about time. But, what else am I going to smoke tonight? Any ideas?

Man, that sounds like an awsome smoke ...aged 3 years !!! ...I salute your patience my friend !!!
    I actually forgot I had them. Because I only got one of each year it is easy to not notice them. I have a Don Carlos #2 and a Oliva 64 Torpedo still sitting from October 06 that I am going to light soon.

I love me some Don Carlos ......damn ...that didn't sound gay did it Lmao ...
    A lil... But it's ok, we won't judge you here my friend. Just don't expect me to be climbing in the hot tub with ya! haha
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am going to light up a Diesel Unholy Cocktail tonight.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    tonight i smoked the new cigar from CAO. ...La Traviata in the Radiante size (6x52)
    it has a an Ecuadorian Wrapper, a Cameroon binder, and fillers from the DR and Nicaragua.
    it wasnt as peppery as CAO thinks it is but then again, i smoke very slowly. It was very good and had a great texture with a medium-full body. it was very creamy and woody and maybe a touch on the sweeter side.
    if the other sizes are just as good and they are consistent in their quality, this may replace the Italia as my favorite CAO. if you find one, try it. Im not sure if Cigar.com has them listed yet.
  • Options
    Pinar Del Rio oscuro robusto. My first PDR. It was very spicy throughout. A very solid smoke. Does anybody have expeience with this brand? I have seen it before in catalogs, but never at a B & M til today.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    One of my reps spent half a day with me and brought along a nice surprise from the local B&M before he arrived. He brought me a RP 1999 Conn. and himself a Partagas Black. Nice surprise and we enjoyed them outside while we talked about everything from familys to business. A good time and the cigar was very creamy and smooth ...
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    kuzi16:
    tonight i smoked the new cigar from CAO. ...La Traviata in the Radiante size (6x52)
    it has a an Ecuadorian Wrapper, a Cameroon binder, and fillers from the DR and Nicaragua.
    it wasnt as peppery as CAO thinks it is but then again, i smoke very slowly. It was very good and had a great texture with a medium-full body. it was very creamy and woody and maybe a touch on the sweeter side.
    if the other sizes are just as good and they are consistent in their quality, this may replace the Italia as my favorite CAO. if you find one, try it. Im not sure if Cigar.com has them listed yet.

Had one at the CAO event back on Oct 20 as a free giv a way. I dont remember it being overly peppery either but I thought it was very tasty and would certainly buy them ...
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    gmill880:
    kuzi16:

Had one at the CAO event back on Oct 20 as a free giv a way. I dont remember it being overly peppery either but I thought it was very tasty and would certainly buy them ...
    Hmmm, I've been eying them. I really do enjoy the Italia.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:
    I think I am going to break open a Partagas Limited Decadas 1996 that I have had since 06. I bought one in 06 and one in 07. I think it's about time. But, what else am I going to smoke tonight? Any ideas?

Man, that sounds like an awsome smoke ...aged 3 years !!! ...I salute your patience my friend !!!
    I actually forgot I had them. Because I only got one of each year it is easy to not notice them. I have a Don Carlos #2 and a Oliva 64 Torpedo still sitting from October 06 that I am going to light soon.
    Is that the one in the glass TUBO? I have one of those bad boys sitting around... all pretty with the copper 1996 little tag hanging off of it!
    That's the one! It is a robusto. The 07 is a Toro I think.
    are these worth the price? My shop has/had a few but they were like 18 bucks or something. Kind of shewed me away from getting it. The liberty was spendy enough though I really liked it (08).
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:

Is that the one in the glass TUBO? I have one of those bad boys sitting around... all pretty with the copper 1996 little tag hanging off of it!
    For some reason I don't think mine is a Robusto, I'd say churchilll or Toro... but I'm sure it says 1996... (I didn't even know they made a 1997)
    Yeah, they put them out every year. Basically it is a Partagas with a 10 year old wrapper if I remember correctly. Oh, and mine looked more like a Robusto minor. It looked larger in the tube!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:

are these worth the price? My shop has/had a few but they were like 18 bucks or something. Kind of shewed me away from getting it. The liberty was spendy enough though I really liked it (08).
    This was the first one I have had and I didn't find it worth the $20 I paid.
  • Options
    So, I just got home from a 3 Cigar night. Started with the Partagas Limited Decadas 1996. It was ok. Had a weird taste to it and got kind of bitter the last two inches. Not worth the price. Next, I had a Nub Connie. Forget what size but it was not a torpedo nor was it the smallest. Somewhere in the middle. It was different than I remember but decent. Not being a huge fan of connie wrappers this one didn't turn me off but didn't jump out at me either. I finished with a AB Maxx. This was maybe a 5.5 X 54 or something like that. It was my first Maxx I have had and it wasn't bad. Reminds me of the Gurkha Blue Steel from what I remember them tasting like. The draw was kinda tight even after I cut it. Nothing I smoked tonight really wowed me but I kind of had that feeling that they weren't going to. Tomorrow brings another day.
  • Options
    I finished off my day with a La Flor Double Ligero lancero. I have exactly one word for this cigar: phenomenal. Everything that is great about the filler and wrapper combo is put into perfect balance, the flavor is exceptional without any one aspect overshadowing another. I'd have to say this is rivaling the Cameroon Cabinet #1 as the best La Flor I've had, and for me that's really saying something.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I finished off my day with a La Flor Double Ligero lancero. I have exactly one word for this cigar: phenomenal. Everything that is great about the filler and wrapper combo is put into perfect balance, the flavor is exceptional without any one aspect overshadowing another. I'd have to say this is rivaling the Cameroon Cabinet #1 as the best La Flor I've had, and for me that's really saying something.
    mmmmm... i know what im smokin this coming thursday (when im at the shop that sells them)
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    j0z3r:
    mmmmm... i know what im smokin this coming thursday (when im at the shop that sells them)
    Please post your thoughts when you do smoke one, I'd be interested to see your take on it. This is one I could buy a box of and not regret it a few months later.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    just finished smoking some sticks from my Gurkha purchase. smoked the Legend Perfecto and it was awesome. then went to the black dragon. very good, but it was the robusto and needed to probably sit in a humi for a while but i was anxious and the scotch dictated me lighting it up. lot's of pepper and wholesome goodness. i enjoyed both very much.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well you guys all keep posting what your smoking... I'm on OT and then working my regular days so won't be able to enjoy anything for a while... I'm forced to sit here and live vicariously through all of you guys!
  • Options
    HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    Had a Diesel in the late hours last night after I got off of work. Started off harsh from lighting, but straitened right out and was fantastic.

This one had a little less smoke than the last one I had which muffled the flavors a little bit.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I ended up going with a Nica Libre torpedo last night instead of the Diesel. It was very good, smooth and tasty. Right now I am having a Java Maduro robusto, great way to start the day.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I had one of my 5 Vegas Cask Stength II that I got on the DD. Before I say what I thought of the cigar, I have to note that C.com got me these cigars in 2 days. Ordered on Monday afternoon and got them Wednesday afternoon. Again, C.com is super fast on shipping.

I enjoyed the cigar, though I think I was a little too anxious to try it. It's the first one I've had and I'm sure it'll be fantastic with a little rest and age on it.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I had one of my 5 Vegas Cask Stength II that I got on the DD. Before I say what I thought of the cigar, I have to note that C.com got me these cigars in 2 days. Ordered on Monday afternoon and got them Wednesday afternoon. Again, C.com is super fast on shipping.

I enjoyed the cigar, though I think I was a little too anxious to try it. It's the first one I've had and I'm sure it'll be fantastic with a little rest and age on it.
    just a few weeks make a good difference
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Anyone who wants a great creamy, buttery so good you almost want to eat it cigar, run and grab some gran habano 3 siglos!!! Sweet heaven, this is my 3rd sticks from them and all 3 have been terrific. This was a toroish size, and it stayed creamy all the way through, almost a buttery creamy. The robusto would be my choice, but I think after the 3rd one, it seals a box buy for me.
    I just bought a box of the Torpedos!
    I just picked up a box of these at my shop, well most of a box. Got the toro's, all they had were the churchills in sealed boxes. I really liked the toro size in these.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Anyone who wants a great creamy, buttery so good you almost want to eat it cigar, run and grab some gran habano 3 siglos!!! Sweet heaven, this is my 3rd sticks from them and all 3 have been terrific. This was a toroish size, and it stayed creamy all the way through, almost a buttery creamy. The robusto would be my choice, but I think after the 3rd one, it seals a box buy for me.
    I just picked up a box of these at my shop, well most of a box. Got the toro's, all they had were the churchills in sealed boxes. I really liked the toro size in these.
    As they are being discontinued you should be able to get these guys for a song!

I got a bundle (Not a box) of 20 Robustos and it was under $45
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    As they are being discontinued you should be able to get these guys for a song!

I got a bundle (Not a box) of 20 Robustos and it was under $45
    yeah that's a good price. I paid 53 for a box and it had 11 of them inside. though I picked up some other sticks with it. I really enjoy these cigars though. Might have to order a bundle though.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:

I almost picked one up today but since you didn't find them all that I passed, you saved me some money buddy. Thanks. They do look might good though, damn eye candy! ooo I say the same thing about women... hehe
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    phobicsquirrel:
    rwheelwright:
    Lasabar:
    rwheelwright:
    gmill880:
    rwheelwright:

I almost picked one up today but since you didn't find them all that I passed, you saved me some money buddy. Thanks. They do look might good though, damn eye candy! ooo I say the same thing about women... hehe
    You know, I really like Partagas so this would have been a treat but this one disappointed. I wonder if the 97 will be better. I have had the PARTAGAS LIMITED RESERVE CERTIFIED VINTAGE when I was 19 - 20 and I don't remember them being harsh but it was along time ago and I was palete was no where near what it is now. I say that same thing about women too! LOL!
  • Options
    Graycliff 1666 Pirate Torpedo. A very smooth mediun bodied smoke. Pre light cigar was very firm, almost like it was 0ver stuffed. Excellent firm draw and a perfect burn. I got these in a CCOM shipment last week.
  • Options
    jacketsrule:
    Graycliff 1666 Pirate Torpedo. A very smooth mediun bodied smoke. Pre light cigar was very firm, almost like it was 0ver stuffed. Excellent firm draw and a perfect burn. I got these in a CCOM shipment last week.
    what did taste like? I cant figure these puppies out at all
    I have a padilla obsidian ....nice smoke let them rest for 6 months and had no burn problems
  • Options
    smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    Had a Kristoff Maduro today at an event at my B&M. Really good stick.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    clearlysuspect:

just a few weeks make a good difference
    I'm sure it will. I like the new Santa Squirrel by the way. Hey, if you do end up getting a box of Gran Habano 3 Siglos, how would care for a trade? I'd like to try one of those.