Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    laker1963:
    PuroFreak:
    Last night I went to a cigar event that was supposed to be hosted by Benji Menendez of Partagas, but sadly he because ill and was unable to attend. The event still went on however and I was able to pick up one of the new Partagas Master Series Majestuoso by Mr. Menendez. I smoked a regular red label Partagas at the event and brought the Master Series home to rest in the humidor, but a couple of my friends smoked it and said it could be the most balanced cigar of 2009. Made me want to try it soon, but have to let it rest. These are a limited run of only 5,000 boxes so they aren't going to be available just anywhere.
    In my best stern teacher's voice.
    Puro... did you bring enough for the rest of the class?
    Haha I wish they had enough that I could have grabbed some more! They weren't even selling them at the event, just giving the freebie out to everyone. It was an invitation only deal at a really nice steakhouse right down the road. Free cognac, scotch, rum, and tequila too.
  • Options
    Perdomo2 Limited Edition 2008 & a short glass of Crown. I have a bout 60 days of rest on it & I would buy a few of these again.
  • Options
    RP 1961 very spicy wrapper, good medium bodied smoke.
  • Options
    cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Oliva Serie G Cameroon toro. paired it with Harpoon IPA. Best thing about smoking outdoors in 28 degree weather? Cigar doesn't burn hot and beer stays cold. Love IT!
  • Options
    Smoking another Tabacos Baez right now, man these are lovely!!
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    Had many a good cigar lately. Highlights being the new Patel Bros which is really damn good. Much better than the 1961.

My favorite from recent weeks though is the My Father 1922 blended by DPG. Wow this one really blew me away. This morning had a 601 red habano churchill, killer smoke as usual, pretty sad I only have 1 left. About to light up another, maybe a JJ Sublime, Padilla Habano or 5 Vegas Miami. Cant decide.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    cholmes8310:
    Oliva Serie G Cameroon toro. paired it with Harpoon IPA. Best thing about smoking outdoors in 28 degree weather? Cigar doesn't burn hot and beer stays cold. Love IT!
    Way to look on the bright side! lol.

Tonight is a Rocky Patel Puro Cubano churchill. These are about all I've been smoking lately. There's just something about them that makes me want to keep coming back.
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    cholmes8310:

I couldnt do it. Its around 60 here in tampa and I almost dont want to go out and smoke ha ha.
    Never had the Harpoon IPA. Just finished a Lagunitas Maximus IPA and damn was it good. Very malty with citrusy hops, lots of sweetness and a nice hop bite at the end.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Smoking a RP 1961 Belicoso. After the reviews I read, I really wasn't too excited about it, but I gotta say, I dig it quite a bit. It is definately spicy, but not really peppery. Overall, its a great cigar.
  • Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Update on the 1961. About halfway in, it developed the worst tar buildup I have ever experienced with a cigar. I did clip it pretty close to the head, but it drew fine, so I went with it. I re-clipped it further down (about where I normally clip torps) and it seems to have remedied the problem. It did open the draw up now to being very loose (even for a RP) and produces an insane amount of smoke. I'll chalk up the tar build-up to my own fault, because it is going like a champ now, no return of the build up. Advice on these, clip them about halfway between the tip and where the botton of the cap.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bbc020:
    Finishing up a Viaje Fifty Fifty no 3 (7 x 47). I didn't find this cigar as good as the no 1 (5 5/8 x 46) I smoked about a month back, but still very good smoke IMO. The change was not as pronounced in this size, but the flavor was still there and the last third of this smoke is fabulous IMO. After some experimentation, I found that letting these cigars rest a solid 2 minutes allows them to fully cool and brings out the most flavor from each puff. When I didn't let it rest this long, the cigar burned hot and the flavors weren't nearly as rich or enjoyable.
    I've smoked both those sizes as well Brandon, and personally I thought the churchill was better than the corona gorda. That said, I honestly didn't really care for the 50/50....I didn't pick up the "dramatic change" that much, it seemed more like the natural shift that cigars take through the length of it. Aside from that, I didn't really like the blend that much, it just didn't speak to my tastes. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Today I had an AB Maxx 5x58, which was good except for the really tight draw. Later was a Pinar del Rio Sun Grown Habano robusto that came from Tony, it was good but burned terribly, it was stronger than I expected too. Finally I had an AJ Fernandez churchill, also from Tony, that I really, really enjoyed, perfect burn and draw, great flavor.
  • Options
    mmmmm...Viaje Fifty Fifty. I love the no 1, I too dont get a "dramatic change" but yet it still evolves and I really dig the flavors

Tonight I am smoking a Regalo Corona that was graciously gifted to me today (along with a Tat Miami, how cool is that?) by a local shop owner via an employee of mine. This thing is fantastic, compares to a mix of the Relic and Cask Strength II in flavor but a bit less in body, yummy I say. Ultra creamy and Uber rich but yet medium in body. Ill have to offer up my gratitude by going and picking up a box.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    Finishing up a Viaje Fifty Fifty no 3 (7 x 47). I didn't find this cigar as good as the no 1 (5 5/8 x 46) I smoked about a month back, but still very good smoke IMO. The change was not as pronounced in this size, but the flavor was still there and the last third of this smoke is fabulous IMO. After some experimentation, I found that letting these cigars rest a solid 2 minutes allows them to fully cool and brings out the most flavor from each puff. When I didn't let it rest this long, the cigar burned hot and the flavors weren't nearly as rich or enjoyable.
    I've smoked both those sizes as well Brandon, and personally I thought the churchill was better than the corona gorda. That said, I honestly didn't really care for the 50/50....I didn't pick up the "dramatic change" that much, it seemed more like the natural shift that cigars take through the length of it. Aside from that, I didn't really like the blend that much, it just didn't speak to my tastes. Glad you enjoyed it though.

Today I had an AB Maxx 5x58, which was good except for the really tight draw. Later was a Pinar del Rio Sun Grown Habano robusto that came from Tony, it was good but burned terribly, it was stronger than I expected too. Finally I had an AJ Fernandez churchill, also from Tony, that I really, really enjoyed, perfect burn and draw, great flavor.
    You know, I don't see too much love for the A. Fernandez Signature, but that cigar is honestly in my top 3. Glad you liked it.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Oliva Conny Reserve with some Miller Lite and Jalepeno Garlic Bruschetta.... NICE
  • Options
    BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    I had a 5 Vegas Classic this morning on my way into the office. The creamy nuttiness of the cigar makes it a nice morning smoke, imo.
  • Options
    Last night temptation got the better of me and I couldn't resist breaking out of the the Alec Bradley Tempus that Tony sent me and WOW! Damn good cigar! It had such a smooth balanced flavor. Never got harsh or bitter, just nice creamy flavorful smoke all the way through. Thanks for those Tony!
  • Options
    Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Last night I had an Oloiva Master Blend 3, my first it was very good. Tonight it will be an AF God of Fire. got it laying out resting a bit before I cut it...it smells heavenly and looks absolutely gorgeous!!!!
  • Options
    I finally braved the Cain maduro torpedo that has been resting for about a month. It was not as bad as I thought it would be as far as strength goes. It was very good, but not overpowering.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    5 Vegas Cask Strength II tonight. It's certainly a nice change of pace.
  • Options
    SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    Watching some MNF and smoking a CAO MX2 along with a couple glasses of port... good times, good times!
  • Options
    Smokeee:
    Watching some MNF and smoking a CAO MX2 along with a couple glasses of port... good times, good times!
    MNF on a Thursday night? How does that work? lol
  • Options
    Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    PuroFreak:
    Smokeee:
    You didn't hear? Thursday is the new Monday.
  • Options
    Smoked a Perdomo Reserve Maduro that j0z3r gifted me, great smoke for a maduro!! haha. first inch reminded me of a Serie JJ Maduro, or vice versa since these are an older blend. Anyhow I really enjoyed it thanks bro.

Peace, Nick
  • Options
    Sandman1am:
    PuroFreak:
    Smokeee:
    You didn't hear? Thursday is the new Monday.
    WTF? Why didn't I get that memo? That's it! Heads are gonna roll boys! Heads are gonna roll!!!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    nickgonzo:
    Smoked a Perdomo Reserve Maduro that j0z3r gifted me, great smoke for a maduro!! haha. first inch reminded me of a Serie JJ Maduro, or vice versa since these are an older blend. Anyhow I really enjoyed it thanks bro.

Peace, Nick
    That's a pretty neat trick...I've never had a Perdomo Reserve Maduro in my humidor, let alone smoked one. lol You sure it came from me? The only thing close that I can think of is the Perdomo Reserve Oscuro...now that I might have sent you.

Had a few today. Started with a Perdomo Grand Cru Conn churchill...good cigar, I managed to hit the cigar with a book about halfway through and it got all dirty on the ground so I lit up a Padilla '68 robusto in its place. The '68 is not my favorite from Padilla, but it's a solidly good cigar. Later was a Cruzado perfecto, little flavor bomb of a cigar. And still later, to round out the night, I had a Partagas Serie P #2 followed a little while later by a Vegas Robainas Unicos...both torpedos, both very nice cigars, though I prefer the Vegas Robainas, it works better in the torpedo shape.
  • Options
    Tonight I smoking a Tatauje Miami Noellas. no words of mine would do this cigar any justice.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    Tonight I smoking a Tatauje Miami Noellas. no words of mine would do this cigar any justice.
    send me one and ill review it. Maybe i have the words...

HA!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Tonight was a tasting event at a local B&M. Fired up a Punch UpperCut, and was a bit disappointed. Had non-stop burn issues, and I just wasn't digging the flavor profile.

On the plus side, the shop had the one and only box of Gurkha His Majesty's Reserve I've ever seen, and I got to ogle those... I'm not the biggest fan of that shop though; they sell a lot of high-end accessories, all of which are gorgeous, but they really try to sell. I don't go to a b&m for high-pressure sales, I go there to pick out a stick of delicious goodness and relax.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    mustluvcigars:
    send me one and ill review it. Maybe i have the words...

HA!
    I would love to see your review of this, Kuzi, This one was gifted to me, as soon as I get my hands on some I will surely send you one. Tonights specimen suffered from a tight draw, which detracted but didnt totally ruin the expeirence.
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Ok, time to catch up on the last few days. The Gurkha doble maduro I smoked yesterday afternoon ended up growing on me, I nubbed it (perfect burn). I can't put my finger on exactly what was so intriguing about it, so I will go back to that one later for more investigation when I get the 2 more I just ordered in and they have had some rest. Later it was a Gurkha C-10. It was interesting, but in the end not really my cup of tea. I capped the night off with a Nepalese Warrior. That one threw me for a loop, the first third had a kinda buttery (like popcorn butter) thing going on, then got into a less buttery more spicy kinda note. I won't be going back for more on that one any time soon, a little odd for my tastes (so far anyway).

Today started with a Gurkha triple ligero. It was pretty good, I'll re-investigate that one after some rest as well. Tonight started a bit frustrating with a Gurkha grand envoy. Flavor wise it wasn't bad, but was pretty tight on the draw and had some uneven burn issues. About half way through I gave up on that one and went for a random Perdomo out of the package that just came in today, it was a Lot 23. It was pretty good, but a night and day difference from the Grand Envoy, so it took a minute to acclimate to it. In the end, not a bad day.

I'm taking a break from the Gurkha's for a while. I have been curious about them lately, found some I liked, some I didn't, ordered some more from the make your own 10 pack deal going on right now, and will give them some rest before further investigation.

Sorry about the long rant, I don't get a chance to check in every day, so when I do it might be a few days worth.