Home General Discussion

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    I enjoyed a Gurkha Titan II yesterday. Been in the humi for about 9 months so I decided to give one a shot. Great smoke, enjoyed every bit of it.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Duder2:
    Ok, time to catch up on the last few days. The Gurkha doble maduro I smoked yesterday afternoon ended up growing on me, I nubbed it (perfect burn). I can't put my finger on exactly what was so intriguing about it, so I will go back to that one later for more investigation when I get the 2 more I just ordered in and they have had some rest. Later it was a Gurkha C-10. It was interesting, but in the end not really my cup of tea. I capped the night off with a Nepalese Warrior. That one threw me for a loop, the first third had a kinda buttery (like popcorn butter) thing going on, then got into a less buttery more spicy kinda note. I won't be going back for more on that one any time soon, a little odd for my tastes (so far anyway).

Today started with a Gurkha triple ligero. It was pretty good, I'll re-investigate that one after some rest as well. Tonight started a bit frustrating with a Gurkha grand envoy. Flavor wise it wasn't bad, but was pretty tight on the draw and had some uneven burn issues. About half way through I gave up on that one and went for a random Perdomo out of the package that just came in today, it was a Lot 23. It was pretty good, but a night and day difference from the Grand Envoy, so it took a minute to acclimate to it. In the end, not a bad day.

I'm taking a break from the Gurkha's for a while. I have been curious about them lately, found some I liked, some I didn't, ordered some more from the make your own 10 pack deal going on right now, and will give them some rest before further investigation.

Sorry about the long rant, I don't get a chance to check in every day, so when I do it might be a few days worth.
    gurkha much?

since you smoked so many gurkhas in such a short amount of time, you may have had the opportunity to notice the gurkha blending style in detail.
    any luck/thoughts ?
    today im gunna go out and light up a Padilla Obsidian.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Unlike Duder2, I did not really enjoy my experience with the Gurkha Doble Maduro last night. This is the second Gurkha that burned very uneven. In fact, I had to touch it up twice due to one side not burning. The draw was extremely tight; my cheeks were tired by the time there were 2-3 inches left. I didn't pick up much flavor at all with this stick. Out of my Gurkha Sampler, that's 2 out of 3 that's been bad. I'm about to join the Gurkha Dissenters, but I will keep a fair and honest mind with the remaining 7.
    kuzi16:
    i wasnt to impressed with this cigar. it wasnt bad though.
    kuzi16:
    kuzi16:
    i wasnt to impressed with this cigar. it wasnt bad though.

I've heard several people say very similar things about that stick.
  • Had a CAO Italiano...not a favorite.
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    It was a Rocky Patel day for me. I got a few in a trade that I have been wanting to try. After a large lunch (soul food) I had a RP Fusion. No real burn issues but it began to unwrap as I smoked it. I know better than to smoke a stick right after I get it but I couldn't help myself. It was a good overall smoke. Not quite what I was expecting as it wasn't as sweet as I thought it would be. Tonight I tried the RP I-Press. After lighting it I had to touch it up twice but nothing too bad. I really liked it. Very earthy w/ tastes of pepper. If I had to choose one over the other I would pick the I-Press but then again I really like box pressed. What to try tomorrow.....MOW???
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Had an Alec Bradley Prensario last night, awesome smoke. I wouldn't put it above the Tempus, but it is still a great cigar. Right now I'm in the middle of a CAO Italia, not quite as good as I remember.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet Fundadores (7x40) today before I went into work. Straight outta the box, it was a little harsh but mostly enjoyable. Part of my ongoing experimentations into smaller ring gauges, I could definately taste the flavors of the Habano wrapper over the Nicaraguan fillers which is part of what I'm learning about smaller ring gauges. Plus it seems there really aren't any burn issues with cigars this thin. So, not much comment really on the taste. Guess I'll revisit this post after I get at least a few months rest and age on them.
    Burned a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior tonight. This one was rather enjoyable. I could definitely pick up on the chocolate with this. The draw was nice and though it didn't burn entirely even, it burned without too much trouble. I'd burn one again, though I wouldn't seek it out.
  • Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    kuzi16:
    Duder2:
    Ok, time to catch up on the last few days. The Gurkha doble maduro I smoked yesterday afternoon ended up growing on me, I nubbed it (perfect burn). I can't put my finger on exactly what was so intriguing about it, so I will go back to that one later for more investigation when I get the 2 more I just ordered in and they have had some rest. Later it was a Gurkha C-10. It was interesting, but in the end not really my cup of tea. I capped the night off with a Nepalese Warrior. That one threw me for a loop, the first third had a kinda buttery (like popcorn butter) thing going on, then got into a less buttery more spicy kinda note. I won't be going back for more on that one any time soon, a little odd for my tastes (so far anyway).

Today started with a Gurkha triple ligero. It was pretty good, I'll re-investigate that one after some rest as well. Tonight started a bit frustrating with a Gurkha grand envoy. Flavor wise it wasn't bad, but was pretty tight on the draw and had some uneven burn issues. About half way through I gave up on that one and went for a random Perdomo out of the package that just came in today, it was a Lot 23. It was pretty good, but a night and day difference from the Grand Envoy, so it took a minute to acclimate to it. In the end, not a bad day.

I'm taking a break from the Gurkha's for a while. I have been curious about them lately, found some I liked, some I didn't, ordered some more from the make your own 10 pack deal going on right now, and will give them some rest before further investigation.

Sorry about the long rant, I don't get a chance to check in every day, so when I do it might be a few days worth.
    gurkha much?

since you smoked so many gurkhas in such a short amount of time, you may have had the opportunity to notice the gurkha blending style in detail.
    any luck/thoughts ?
    Well, I was on a mission to test the waters of Gurkha and I think my maiden voyage was pretty successful. I'm a newbie, so I can't really put my finger on what it is about the Gurkha's I've tried, but they mostly seemed to have something in common. However, they were all very different from each other. The Doble maduro I had burned flawlessly and I really liked it, it was very smooth, but flavorful at the same time. Kind of a chocolate and coffee vibe, and a great aroma. I have a Legend perfecto getting some rest and some centurian's, royal brigade's, a titan, and a beauty amongst others already on the way. Ccom clearance sales rule! I will give them all a bunch of rest before diving in, but look forward to trying them all.

Ok, today I tried a 5 Vegas classic and it was an all round solidly good smoke. Burn was a little uneven, but not too bad, and flavors were good. A little spicy and nutty, an all round tasty stick that I'm sure I will go back for more eventually. Now I'm about to try my first Graycliff 1666. I'll report back in a while with my thoughts.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Tonight was a long and boring night at the bar = two-stick night.

Started out with my first Graycliff 1666 (churchill), and I found it very enjoyable. Glad to know I have two more in the humi.

Second was La Herencia Cubana (torp), and it pleasantly enjoyable. Got really soft near the end though, and pretty harsh so I ended up tossing it earlier than I would have otherwise. Overall it was still good, and a nice end to the night.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    Well, I was not too impressed with the 1666 I just smoked. It could have been the fact that I couldn't get a decent draw from it, it was way too tight. The good side is that it burned pretty evenly and was very pretty to look at. It was very smooth, no spice whatsoever, and had some interesting flavors going on, but just not my cup of tea. I may revisit it down the road in hopes that this was just a bad stick, but I'm not gonna go outta my way to buy more.
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    PuroFreak:
    Sandman1am:
    PuroFreak:
    Smokeee:
    Watching some MNF and smoking a CAO MX2 along with a couple glasses of port... good times, good times!
    MNF on a Thursday night? How does that work? lol
    You didn't hear? Thursday is the new Monday.
    WTF? Why didn't I get that memo? That's it! Heads are gonna roll boys! Heads are gonna roll!!!
    Yeah, what he said... Thurs. is the new Mon. LOL Just trying to see if you guys are awake, but you called my bluff! Man, its been a long week. Think I deserve this Gurkha Titan I'm about to settle down with and watch some College Ball! Good to know I can count on you guys to keep me straight.
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I woke up this morning, and after setting fantasy line-ups and playing a little Fallout 3, I made myself a breakfast of steak and eggs. Now I'm following it up with a RP Puro Cubano, coffee, and the Michigan-Ohio State game. The only bad thing is that I have to work tonight, so I miss my Longhorns playing. Oh well, the money I'll get from working will help buy more cigars!
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Duder2:
    Well, I was not too impressed with the 1666 I just smoked. It could have been the fact that I couldn't get a decent draw from it, it was way too tight. The good side is that it burned pretty evenly and was very pretty to look at. It was very smooth, no spice whatsoever, and had some interesting flavors going on, but just not my cup of tea. I may revisit it down the road in hopes that this was just a bad stick, but I'm not gonna go outta my way to buy more.
    I have the opposite experience with those. Every one I've had the draw was very, very loose. Nice flavor though. What vitola was it?
  • JdoraisJdorais Posts: 652
    Left the office early after arguing with my business partner over stupid chit and went to my local B&M and enjoyed a padilla 68 robusto, then at we went over to a friends house for drinks and dinner and enoyed my second diesel.
  • Padilla 32,smoked one two months ago,the one a month ago and now tonight ,i must say these guys are aging quit well ,I notice that the final third of this cigar improves gratly with age and becomes quit balanced......found the cigar to also go quite well with some glenleviet single malt
  • martymcg43martymcg43 Posts: 396
    lit a 5 vegas miami robusto. great taste but was plugged as all hell. put it down after an inch. anyone else have problems with these?
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I'll be smoking a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior tonight. I may have an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, I'm still undecided
    Matt Marvel:
    I woke up this morning, and after setting fantasy line-ups and playing a little Fallout 3, I made myself a breakfast of steak and eggs. Now I'm following it up with a RP Puro Cubano, coffee, and the Michigan-Ohio State game. The only bad thing is that I have to work tonight, so I miss my Longhorns playing. Oh well, the money I'll get from working will help buy more cigars!
    I too had an RP Puro Cubano this morning. It was quite nice :^)
    Jdorais:
    Duder2:
    I have the opposite experience with those. Every one I've had the draw was very, very loose. Nice flavor though. What vitola was it?
    It was a PGX.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Just had a NUB Cameroon 466T... I love this cigar!!!!
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Enjoy the heck out of a Tatuaje Miami Reserva J21. Been resting since March and this thing is still a flavor bomb with plenty of strength. Delicious!
  • j0z3r:
    nickgonzo:
    Smoked a Perdomo Reserve Maduro that j0z3r gifted me, great smoke for a maduro!! haha. first inch reminded me of a Serie JJ Maduro, or vice versa since these are an older blend. Anyhow I really enjoyed it thanks bro.

Peace, Nick
    That's a pretty neat trick...I've never had a Perdomo Reserve Maduro in my humidor, let alone smoked one. lol You sure it came from me? The only thing close that I can think of is the Perdomo Reserve Oscuro...now that I might have sent you.

Had a few today. Started with a Perdomo Grand Cru Conn churchill...good cigar, I managed to hit the cigar with a book about halfway through and it got all dirty on the ground so I lit up a Padilla '68 robusto in its place. The '68 is not my favorite from Padilla, but it's a solidly good cigar. Later was a Cruzado perfecto, little flavor bomb of a cigar. And still later, to round out the night, I had a Partagas Serie P #2 followed a little while later by a Vegas Robainas Unicos...both torpedos, both very nice cigars, though I prefer the Vegas Robainas, it works better in the torpedo shape.
    Haha I thought it was the Maddie accoring to the band but if was 100% from you mustve been oscuro =P. Sounds like you had a hell of a day! Those perdomo grand cru are really good, the corojo is my fav.

Just hitting the last 3rd of a 5V Cask 2 and these are way better than the Cask 1 imo. Great freakin smoke for the price/ Peace, Nick
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Last night I had a 5 Vegas Classic. I think I got this from Joe. It was pretty good. Can't buy anymore since I am on restriction.

Tonight, I had a RP Summer 09 which was really good until the last inch. Got kinda tasteless near the end but up until then it was really good!!!!!
  • smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    rwheelwright:
    Last night I had a 5 Vegas Classic. I think I got this from Joe. It was pretty good. Can't buy anymore since I am on restriction.

Tonight, I had a RP Summer 09 which was really good until the last inch. Got kinda tasteless near the end but up until then it was really good!!!!!
    I had a 5 Vegas Classic today and my experience was not on par. It had a really bad canoeing problem, got soft about a third of the way in, and the smoke started to heat up really early. As just about everyone here knows the Classic is a really good solid go-to stick. I guess I just got a stinker:(
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    dennisking:
    I'll be smoking a Gurkha Nepalese Warrior tonight. I may have an Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, I'm still undecided
    well, in celebration of the Ducks win in double overtime I had my Nepalese Warrior. that was the let down of the night. it started off with heavy earth and peat, the middle was nothing, the finish was harsh. the burn was perfect though and the construction and draw were awesome. too bad it tasted like a ****
  • I didn't get to smoke lastnight. I have to limit my self since it takes forever for cigars to get to me where I'm at, but tonight I'm going to have the graycliff 1666 and see how it is. It was in a sampler that I got this month. The first one I tried I thought tasted great exspecially towards the end of the cigar it was the Padilla sig 1932. it was a little to full flavored for me though. I'm ordering some medium flavored cigars today though, and hopefully the ones I ordered last week will get here soon because I'm about out. Happy smoking