Home General Discussion
Options

Whatcha smokin tonight?

Comments

• Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I have been smoking a lot of cigars that I obtained through trades and games lately and today was the Rocky Patel Puro Cubano. It was dated 11/26/09. I apologize, I have once again forgotten who I received this one from. The cigar had a lot of woody flavors, was peppery without being harsh, and a consistent flavor that was pleasant. The wrapper was very fragile and was difficult to keep together. It started to unwrap and had many cracks and chips. Still a nice smoke from Rocky.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Well, I gotta say it's not my cuppa. It's a good cigar, but much too spicy for me. I got some other flavors, especially kind of a root vegetable thing every now and then, but the spice overwhelmed everything. It might be just the thing for Maddy, but not for me. Also, I like a cigar that generates tons of smoke, and this one didn't.

I've got another one of these. Maybe like it better when I get around to breaking it out.
    I've had a few but my last one which was maybe in July of last year was phenominal. It produced a lot of smoke and I don't remember spice however that main flavor was awesome but I can't place what it is. Reminded me of like a thick power.
    Hm. I don't know, wheelz, it sounds like we had two completely different cigars. Might yours have been the Carlito?

The weather is gonna be gorgeous again tonight. I'll have to come up with something stupendous to smoke.
    It was definately a Don Carlos! I like the Carlito but I like the Don Carlos a lot more.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Huh. Well, maybe I just got a bad one, and this other one will be more like what you describe. I got both of these from Feebs -- maybe he kept them next to his nuts too long.

Hey, kas.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    urbino:
    Huh. Well, maybe I just got a bad one, and this other one will be more like what you describe. I got both of these from Feebs -- maybe he kept them next to his nuts too long.
    Do you remember what year it was? I think mine were from 2005 (the date on the band). I wonder if maybe the different years taste different. I have some 2006 but I have to try them. Only had the 2006 Carlito. And who knows. Maybe that one I had was a fluke and the rest will be just good or ok.
  • Options
    Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Gonna fire up a Cameroon Fuente Hemingway. Hope it's as good as I have read it is!
  • Options
    AyatoAyato Posts: 53
    Had a Padron Maduro earlier today and finished the evening with a Don Pepin Original.
  • Options
    brainfrzbrainfrz Posts: 73
    Well, my first post in this thread and on top of that my first cigar from CCom. I just finished the house blend Brazilian Label- before I get started a little background info, I've been buying cigars from a local smoke shop with walk in humidor. It was either hit or miss with cigars purchased from this place, and after reading reviews from this site and seeing the low prices and daily deals I thought I'd give it a try. First impression has me sold. This has got to be the best quality cigar I've smoked in quite some time. I don't know how to review cigars so pardon the cheesy review- the only way I could put it is I laughed about half way through the cigar just blown away by how flavorful and of all things inexpensive this damned thing is! I purchased the 7 cigar house sample and am dying to try all the other ones. If they are anything as good as this by god I'm all in. Today I just picked up a couple of the daily deals for free shipping(6 5 Vegas sampler) and am anxiously waiting their arrival.
  • Options
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Do you remember what year it was? I think mine were from 2005 (the date on the band). I wonder if maybe the different years taste different. I have some 2006 but I have to try them. Only had the 2006 Carlito. And who knows. Maybe that one I had was a fluke and the rest will be just good or ok.
    Good question. I'll look at the band when I get home. It's still in the ashtray.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Don Kiki Brown Label Churchill, IT SF Maduro Belicoso, 5 Vegas A Archetype, DPG JJ Maduro, whoa, that thing had serious gut punching capabilities.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I had an RP '92 Toro today. I forgot that I like these. Good lazy afternoon smoke.
  • Options
    jacketsrulejacketsrule Posts: 401
    Don Pepin Vegas Cubanas for lunch, Gurkha Micro-Batch for the ride home.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Had a 5 Vegas classic tremendous as usual!
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    glad you like the 5 Vegas Classics. those are great. i am currently smoking an Alec Bradley Maxx Brazil. good stick. i wonder why i havent heard more about this stick
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    dennisking:
    glad you like the 5 Vegas Classics. those are great. i am currently smoking an Alec Bradley Maxx Brazil. good stick. i wonder why i havent heard more about this stick
    I have yet to try any Alec Bradley....I think I wouldprobably start with the Tempus....
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    funny thing is, that is the stick I started with from their lineup. I had a Tempus in the Magistri vitola 2 weeks ago and I was blown away. 2 hours for a perfecto is pretty damn good and it tasted amazing.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Diamondog:
    dennisking:
    I have yet to try any Alec Bradley....I think I wouldprobably start with the Tempus....
    The Tempus is pretty dang good, I'd suggest a size other than the Quadrum if you want a real taste of what the Tempus is all about, the lancero and robusto are fantastic...the Quadrum, to me, represents the weakest offering in the Tempus line, not weakest in terms of strength, but in how it represents the line. And really you can't go wrong with Alec Bradley, they offer a great line of cigars.

Had a few cigars today. On my ride home I smoked a Joya de Nicaragua robusto grande, very tasty cigar and one I'll always have on hand in one size or another. Later was a real show stopper, an Avo XO Maestoso (churchill) that was hands down one of the best cigars I've had, it's not cheap but it's so worth the $12.50 ccom charges, I'd have no problem buying a box at retail, it was that good. To finish out the day I had one that caught me by surprise, an Arganese ML3 torpedo...I bought a box at a price point of $1.62 a cigar on another deal that starts with "J" and rhymes with ham, suffice to say this was a very tasty cigar that smoked cool and burned even the whole way down and offered up a nice array of flavors in a full bodied cigar, this one is a keeper for sure.
  • Options
    TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    Smoked a Liga Privada T52 tonight. It was pretty fantastic. I definitely need to try the #9.
  • Options
    urbino:
    rwheelwright:
    urbino:
    Good question. I'll look at the band when I get home. It's still in the ashtray.
    It was the 2006.

I had an Avo Domaine #30, tonight. Fine cigar, as always.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Went with an old standby tonight...5 Vegas gold. Smooth as always. Plus a ton of smoke that just makes it fun!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I decided to enjoy the one an only nice day we are gonna have this week, so I decided to smoke one of the RP Vintage 1990s...nothing special, but I was in the mood for a medium bodied smoke. And as always, it didn't disappoint.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Had an Alec Bradley SCR last night. Not too impressed. This may sound weird, but the wrapper smelled like a rich cheese. Had to touch it up a few times and it burned out towards the last third. A mediocre cigar. I have another one so I'll revisit in a few months.
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    Rocky Patel OSG Torpedo that I received on a trade from a while back.

RRS = Hmmm
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    lol Smoke, I missed the RRS, thanks for bringing it back. :)
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I had a Nica Libre with my morning coffee. These tasty sticks suffer from an unfortunate comparison to Padron which leaves people a little disappointed that it isn't exactly a Padron. If you don't think of them that way they really are a great easy smoke. It was like having a chocolate brownie with coffee. Yummm...
  • Options
    Smoke=FireSmoke=Fire Posts: 692 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    lol Smoke, I missed the RRS, thanks for bringing it back. :)

You're very welcome bud :D

If I dig for it, I can probably find it and bump the thread :P
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I wasn't going to smoke today, but it was too fine a day not to. So I just finished up an RP Sungrown Toro. I've only had one or two of these before but I really liked it this time. Reminded me a bit of the '92 I had yesterday. Stronger flavors, maybe more leather. Tons of smoke and a good draw. Just shy of what I consider full body. I think I'm going to take the ones I had off my trade list and just enjoy them. It must be the extra rest they've got.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    IT SF Maduro Belicoso, 5 Vegas A Archetype, Cu-avana Intenso Torpedo, and a Don Kiki Brown label Churchill.
  • Options
    shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    Enjoying a CAO Sopranos at the moment ... I am pleasently surprised with this cigar at the moment ... wasn't sure about it with the mixed reviews but i am definitely digging it. It has a nice mocha sweet taste to it.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Had a DE Natural Big Dirt Torpedo...
    Still shocked this is a DE stick, it doesn't taste like lighter fluid, turpentine, and mercury...

• Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I had a Cain F torpedo tonight. Not as good as the other two, but still a solid smoke. I did get it from the B&M about 2 hours before I lit it up though, so that might have had something to do with it... I will certainly revisit this one in the near future. There was some promise in there between the INSANE burn issues, tight draw, and slightly harsh flavor in the first inch or so. I would love to see what a couple months would do to them...