Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Video Game Thread

sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
In this thread, we talk about.....video games.

Some games I am looking forward to playing this year:

Infamous 2
Uncharted 3
Trine 2

Comments

• Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I play a lot of Indie games, and older classics. Not much in the mainstream. Right now I'm playing Unreal World, Red Orchestra, and the new Mount & Blade. Really the only game I am looking forward to this year is Red Orchestra 2. I'm tempted to look into Skyrim, but those Bethesda games are always better after a few years of maturity, and heavy modding.
  • Options
    Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    L.A. Noire is awesome, a big change from the usual Rockstar formula. And three freakin discs. This game is massive.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    Dude Love:
    L.A. Noire is awesome, a big change from the usual Rockstar formula. And three freakin discs. This game is massive.
    Can't wait to try this game.... Brink looks pretty cool too.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    I play black ops...but only to kill zombies...and thats it cuz the game is a waste of crap lol....other then that i stick to modern warfare two
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Right now, I'm playing Bad Company 2 and Black Ops. Can't wait for Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.

However, I'm a bit worried about MW3. Most of the original team at Infinity Ward was fired or quit because Activision wouldn't pay them their bonuses, overtime, and royalties. Now, MW3 is being developed by the remnants of Infinity Ward and Raven. But Raven's past projects include Quake 4 and X Men: Wolverine, which was a dismal failure and ended in Raven laying off most of their workers.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    Right now, I'm playing Bad Company 2 and Black Ops. Can't wait for Modern Warfare 3 and Battlefield 3.

However, I'm a bit worried about MW3. Most of the original team at Infinity Ward was fired or quit because Activision wouldn't pay them their bonuses, overtime, and royalties. Now, MW3 is being developed by the remnants of Infinity Ward and Raven. But Raven's past projects include Quake 4 and X Men: Wolverine, which was a dismal failure and ended in Raven laying off most of their workers.
    I used to live around the corner from Midway's headquarters in Chicago. Too bad what happened with that company. I used to walk past the building (on my way to Hot Doug's) thinking, "How cool.... those guys are just in there playing video games all day." They developed my two all-time favorite arcade games. Mortal Kombat & NBA Jam.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    Joeyjoe21_8:
    I play black ops...but only to kill zombies...and thats it cuz the game is a waste of crap lol....other then that i stick to modern warfare two
    I have to agree, I hated black ops. Modern Warfare 2 still dominates it. I have heard quite a few complaints about the black ops. I do however really enjoy medal of honor. I thought it had a much better story line and has a pretty nice multiplayer side too.
  • Options
    Lakota72Lakota72 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    I actually had the fortune of working with the Red Storm developing crew about a year ago. Basically they came out to my unit's facility and took sound recordings of all our ground vehicles and the oh-58 and UH-72 lakota. Pretty cool to work with them. They are still developing the game but if any of you follow there company you know they build the games with a famous authors endorsment.
  • Options
    ellinasellinas Posts: 329
    i have to agree with yall about black ops. it sucks. if any of you guys have a ps3 then you guys should try out mag, similar to black ops but at the same time it's very different, MAG requires team work. At the beginning you pick a faction Valor- Usa, Raven- European Countries and S.V.E.R-Middle eastern countries. You always fight with 2 platoons or 1 company, so the games can get intense and You never fight someone in the same faction as you, and you always have mission, game play is very similar to black ops but you jsut work as a team to achieve whatever needs to be done, although you don't have to do anything, you can go off on your own and just kill people. other than MAG i also play mortal kombat
  • Options
    smoke_em_if_you_got_emsmoke_em_if_you_got_em Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dude Love:
    Cant wait to try this one myself!
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Gears of War 3! Can't wait!
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    Pretty much I just play Bad Company 2
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    my cuurent lists of games to play
    Red Faction 2
    Gears of War 3
    Duke Nukem Forever
    Elder Scrolls V Skyrim
    And I'm sure a few titles will be added after E3
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Mortal Kombat is what I've been playing lately. I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3 for sure as well as Duke. MW3 is, well I'm on the fence... I mean I'm getting tired of the same old game. Sure I love zombies on Black Ops but the Multiplayer is the same crap.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Mortal Kombat is what I've been playing lately. I'm looking forward to Battlefield 3 for sure as well as Duke. MW3 is, well I'm on the fence... I mean I'm getting tired of the same old game. Sure I love zombies on Black Ops but the Multiplayer is the same crap.
    New Mortal Kombat looks brutal as hell. I like the "x-ray" vision feature. Intense.
  • Options
    U have it?
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    U have it?
    Unfortunately not. I may pick it up when I can find a used copy around. You play online?
  • Options
    Yup... just to let you know if you can find it new do so. I mean it was going for like 30 bucks online. If you buy it used and someone used the online code, you have to pay 10 bucks to play online. I really like the game, plenty of content and the DLC is suppose to be continuous and even free (so they say). The online play is a bit laggy and stuff but a patch is coming out along with the DLC sometime in the next few weeks. But I have to say most of the time I can play without much problems.

I do hate how the Ranked Match works, I mean I'm not super player but I hate it when I play a few matches and win then I get matched with some super stud or some *** that likes to corner and I can't get out of it. Worse thing is to all this, there's a stupid achievement for like 60g's that you have to win 10 ranked matches in a row and even if your opponent quits the match before its over you get a loss and it screws up your streak. Best I have had was 5 and then I got some dude that had like 400 wins to 5 losses. I actually faired well but lost due to his cheap ass cornering techniques. Hit me up when you get it, my gamer tag is phobicsquirrel.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    I suck at video games but two that I enjoy playing are MLB The Show and Red Dead Redemption.
    Light 'em up.
  • Options
    SmokySuitSmokySuit Posts: 429
    Just throwing out some random comments to several previous posts…
    Currently I’ve been playing Far Cry 2 (PS3), Mortal Combat (PS3), and 007 Golden Eye (Wii). I’m real impressed with the latest Mortal Combat! Golden Eye isn’t bad either. I’ve been waiting for a Duke Nukem sequel since like middle school! And Uncharted 3 in at the top of my wishlist. Shooting zombies is defiantly the best thing about black ops.
    There ya go a paragraph full of random thoughts.
  • Options
    LeftFiveLeftFive Posts: 184 ✭✭
    Russ55:
    I'm tempted to look into Skyrim, but those Bethesda games are always better after a few years of maturity, and heavy modding.
    This is so true. Plus it's always nice to pick up all the expansions+DLC in a Game of the Year package instead of buying them all piecemeal. All the previous Elder Scrolls games have been great and Skyrim looks pretty good so far.

I've been playing Brink, Darksiders, Bad Company 2, and Magicka. Trine was a lot of fun and 2 looks promising.

I picked up DJ Hero 2 on a whim for $25 on Amazon, that should be arriving any day now.
  • Options
    ztanner25ztanner25 Posts: 48
    Can't freakin wait for Mass Effect 3 to come out in November. Also looking forward to Battlefield 3, I have this gut feeling that MW3 is just going to be a dud. Other than those anticipations I play Mass Effect 1 and 2 plus black ops and MW2 plus some NHL 2011.
  • Options
    LeftFive:
    Russ55:
    I'm tempted to look into Skyrim, but those Bethesda games are always better after a few years of maturity, and heavy modding.
    This is so true. Plus it's always nice to pick up all the expansions+DLC in a Game of the Year package instead of buying them all piecemeal. All the previous Elder Scrolls games have been great and Skyrim looks pretty good so far.

I hope they fix the game engine in the new Skyrim. It was a fun game but I absolutely hated that ALL enemies leveled as you leveled. So if you maxed out your character, all enemies maxed out with unbelievable strengths... even in starter towns. A true RPG should have starter towns and the further you branch out monsters get stronger. This was a huge disappointment for me. Yeah you can lower the difficulty, but that is no fun to cheat. In a true RPG shouldn't have difficulty settings. You can't lower the difficulty in WOW. Bethesda needs to learn how to make RPG's.
  • Options
    Another game to add to my list: Alice: Madness Returns. A creepy-looking action/platformer that draws from Alice in Wonderland.
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    sightunseen:
    Another game to add to my list: Alice: Madness Returns. A creepy-looking action/platformer that draws from Alice in Wonderland.
    Is it a sequel to Clive barker's Alice?
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    sightunseen:
    Is it a sequel to Clive barker's Alice?
    Tis the sequel to American McGee's Alice. Here is a link to the game summary on ign:

http://ps3.ign.com/objects/143/14323747.html

It will also be on xbox and PC.
  • Options
    LeftFive:
    Russ55:

Exactly. I did that with FO3, Oblivion, Morrowind, and I'm planning to do it with New Vegas as well. There's a new overhaul mod for Morrowind that just came out. I saw some video of it and it looks amazing. Been thinking about loading that up again.
    djbeenie:
    LeftFive:
    Russ55:

I hope they fix the game engine in the new Skyrim. It was a fun game but I absolutely hated that ALL enemies leveled as you leveled. So if you maxed out your character, all enemies maxed out with unbelievable strengths... even in starter towns. A true RPG should have starter towns and the further you branch out monsters get stronger. This was a huge disappointment for me. Yeah you can lower the difficulty, but that is no fun to cheat. In a true RPG shouldn't have difficulty settings. You can't lower the difficulty in WOW. Bethesda needs to learn how to make RPG's.
    There are mods that change the way leveling and scaling works. Some of them are very good. Bethesda's probably not going change it too much. They'll probably do something similar to what they did with FO3, and make it so when you enter an area for the first time the mobs there will spawn to your current level, and stay about that range, but that's about as far as they're going to go I think. I haven't looked at New Vegas yet to see what they did there, but I'd be shocked if it deviated too much from their formula.

It's an open ended RPG, and there's certain things they have to do, or they can break their game very easily. Wow is linear, and probably not really an rpg, at least in my opinion, but you're not going to see these kinds of things because it is linear. Two very different animals.

Properly modded to your tastes, Bethesda games are a lot of fun, and offer experiences you can't normally get in most games, but modding is the key.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    LeftFive:
    Russ55:

Exactly. I did that with FO3, Oblivion, Morrowind, and I'm planning to do it with New Vegas as well. There's a new overhaul mod for Morrowind that just came out. I saw some video of it and it looks amazing. Been thinking about loading that up again.
    djbeenie:
    LeftFive:
    Russ55:

There are mods that change the way leveling and scaling works. Some of them are very good. Bethesda's probably not going change it too much. They'll probably do something similar to what they did with FO3, and make it so when you enter an area for the first time the mobs there will spawn to your current level, and stay about that range, but that's about as far as they're going to go I think. I haven't looked at New Vegas yet to see what they did there, but I'd be shocked if it deviated too much from their formula.

It's an open ended RPG, and there's certain things they have to do, or they can break their game very easily. Wow is linear, and probably not really an rpg, at least in my opinion, but you're not going to see these kinds of things because it is linear. Two very different animals.

Properly modded to your tastes, Bethesda games are a lot of fun, and offer experiences you can't normally get in most games, but modding is the key.
    What's a good modding site? I would like to try some. yeah FO New Vegas is the same way. Bethesda has mentioned a MMORPG. I am curious to see how they are going to accomplish it with their current engine.
  • Options
    They're going to use a different engine for it I think. I haven't kept up on it too much.

http://www.tesnexus.com/ is the one I use mostly. There's planetelderscrolls too.

What I like to do with Oblivion is get a realism mod, coupled with some of the level scaling mods, as well as some of the more popular mods that add weapons and make things prettier. Hit points and level don't matter so much then, it's more about hit location, and armor/weapons. Every fight has the potential to be very dangerous, unless it's with like, a rat. It's my belief that if I put an arrow, or sword through someones head then they should die. End of story. I don't care what level they are, my character included. It makes the game very hard, but it's so much more satisfying for me. Some people, most, hate that. You just have to find what works well for you.
  • Options
    Russ55:
    They're going to use a different engine for it I think. I haven't kept up on it too much.

http://www.tesnexus.com/ is the one I use mostly. There's planetelderscrolls too.

What I like to do with Oblivion is get a realism mod, coupled with some of the level scaling mods, as well as some of the more popular mods that add weapons and make things prettier. Hit points and level don't matter so much then, it's more about hit location, and armor/weapons. Every fight has the potential to be very dangerous, unless it's with like, a rat. It's my belief that if I put an arrow, or sword through someones head then they should die. End of story. I don't care what level they are, my character included. It makes the game very hard, but it's so much more satisfying for me. Some people, most, hate that. You just have to find what works well for you.
    Nice thanks!