Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Darkness:
    Hey all, I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Im just posting to introduce myself and say hi. Im def glad to belong to this great forum. -Darkness

Hey Darkness.. Welcome, ( I think ) Nice to have you out of the shadows. kas.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome new members, good to have you all on board. I'm looking forward to your contributions to the forum.
  • Options
    Darkness:
    Hey all, I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Im just posting to introduce myself and say hi. Im def glad to belong to this great forum. -Darkness
    Nice to hear from you, hoping to see some opinions/suggestions from you in the future.
  • Options
    rednekrednek Posts: 15
    I have spent a short time lurking and trying to search for some answers. However I find myself becoming quite addicted!

A little about myself I have been learning the ins and outs of smoking cigars for a few months now and actually just got back from my honeymoon in Cabo San Lucas Mexico where I purchased a few Cuban cigars in order to start up my new humidor! I enjoy having a cigar in the evenings with a glass of crown or wine and plan on learning a lot more and smoking a lot more for years to come!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome aboard.
  • Options
    Hey Red, ( Second red I met in two days)Welcome> Most don't start their Humidors with Cubans, Where do you go up from there. What did you pick up ?
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Hey Red, ( Second red I met in two days)Welcome> Most don't start their Humidors with Cubans, Where do you go up from there. What did you pick up ?
    Well the new wife gave me a 100 dollar limit which I kinda fudged a little bit but I picked up 2 5 packs

5 Romeo y Julieta No.2

5 Cohiba Siglo III

I have enjoyed both of the non Cuban Cohibas and Romeo Y Julietas so I figured it wouldnt be a bad start.
  • Options
    Wow, Both super premium cigars. I've had the Romeo y Julieta Cedros DeLuxe no. 2 ( wrapped in a cedar sleeve) It was a Corona that had lots of toasty and cedar tastes to it..That was about five years ago, and I remember it being far more mild than I expected.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Wow, Both super premium cigars. I've had the Romeo y Julieta Cedros DeLuxe no. 2 ( wrapped in a cedar sleeve) It was a Corona that had lots of toasty and cedar tastes to it..That was about five years ago, and I remember it being far more mild than I expected.
    yea these are in an aluminum tube with a cedar sleeve. I havent smoked a single one yet! its killing me!!!
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Now now Kas, Cuban cigars are fine and dandy, but they are hardly the be all, end all of cigars...at least not anymore. It seems everything I read, coupled with my own limited experience, suggests that Cuban cigars have consistently fallen in quality over the years while NCs are getting better all the time. So as far as Cubans go, IMO there is a lot of room to go from there. Personally, I'd take a good Dominican or Nicaraguan over a Cuban most days.

Rant over, welcome Red...and anyone else I missed.
  • Options
    I agree.. That there are so many great cigars out now, after the boom and bust of the 90's only the very best are still around. Consumers are far more demanding of a quality product, and they will find it. I think Scram told a story of how Cuban soil is " burned out" and will take years before in can return to its once fertile condition.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I think Scram told a story of how Cuban soil is " burned out" and will take years before in can return to its once fertile condition.
    That is consistent with what I've heard. The main problem there is that the government will not allocate the fertilizers, or not enough of them, to keep the tobacco fields fertile, so the soil, as you pointed out, is getting to the point where it is harder to grow a quality tobacco for lack of nutrients.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    ok, i finaly cracked. this is my first post. my name is mike and ive been smoking cigars and reading these posts for about 5 or 6 months. someone on here suggested the 5 vegas classic, i had one last night, and it is now one of my favorites and i will be buying a box. i just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was.
  • Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Welcome aboard Mike. Try all of the 5 Vegas, everything is pretty good. My preference is the double nickle size over something larger like a Churchill for that brand.
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    ok, i finaly cracked. this is my first post. my name is mike and ive been smoking cigars and reading these posts for about 5 or 6 months. someone on here suggested the 5 vegas classic, i had one last night, and it is now one of my favorites and i will be buying a box. i just wanted to say thanks to whoever it was.
    Hey plaid banana, first of all welcome.. Second, have you seen a doctor about that ? Lastly, The 5 Vegas are often discussed here because of the great quality and value that it offers.. My favorite is the Classic. Always a winner in my book.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, bananaboy. Do dead men eat plaid bananas?

I think that was me that recommended the 5 Vegas Classic, over in the Everyday Smokes thread. Glad you enjoyed it. I like the torpedo and the panatela, personally.
  • Options
    I think just about everyone who smokes a 5 Vegas Classic recommends it, it is just really good cigar at a really decent price, plain and simple. If I had to pick 5 cigar to smoke for the rest of my life, you can bet your money that the 5 V. Classic would be one of them.

Welcome bananaboy, hope to see you around more. And I do believe your nickname has been solidified, or maybe one more person has to call you that for it to stick. :)
  • Options
    plaidbanana1plaidbanana1 Posts: 187
    bananaboy is cool but ive also been called nanner or nanners online before. by the way urbi, it was a torpedo and its also turned me on to them. also what does the buffalo buffalo sig mean?
  • Options
    plaidbanana1:
    bananaboy is cool but ive also been called nanner or nanners online before. by the way urbi, it was a torpedo and its also turned me on to them. also what does the buffalo buffalo sig mean?
    Oh no, We must never speak of Buffalo...One would and it is a complete accurate senetence,,.search... "buffalo sentence google" and you will learn.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kaspera79:
    plaidbanana1:
    Oh no, We must never speak of Buffalo...One would and it is a complete accurate senetence,,.search... "buffalo sentence google" and you will learn.

enlightening.
  • Options
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:
    plaidbanana1:

enlightening.
    Or annoying, depends on how you look at it. If someone walked up to me on the street and said that sentence to me, I'd tilt my head in confusion, then hand them $5 and send them along since they are obviously mentally infirm. :D
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    bbc020:
    kaspera79:
    plaidbanana1:

enlightening.
    Or annoying, depends on how you look at it. If someone walked up to me on the street and said that sentence to me, I'd tilt my head in confusion, then hand them $5 and send them along since they are obviously mentally infirm. :D
    You know, maybe that's what Buffalo Urbi was waiting for.. Okay Doctor your 5 bucks are in the mail. Sorry it took so long. ;}
  • Options
    No no no. Not bucks. Buffalo.
  • Options
    btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I now consider myself dumber, after finding and reading about the buffalo sentence on wikipedia
  • Options
    Just wanted to say hey i have posted a few times and i am starting to really get into cigars its just tough on my college budget but hopefully i will get some more for christmas along with the humidor. Hope everyone has a great December. Thanks to everyone for all the great help that they have given me on my few posts.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    holy buffalo-theres's 2 minutes of my life i'll never get back
  • Options
    But just think of the bar bets you'll win.
  • Options
    Hey all. My name is Rich And I'm a Cigaroholic. Actually, I'm new to this whole thing but I'm already addicted. Been smokin for about 3 months and already have a 150 count humi half filled with a nice variety. Working my way thru them , letting my taste buds lead the way. This forum is really a big help for people like me who have a lot to learn. Thanks.
  • Options
    Welcome Rich. Aren't we all cigaroholics around here? You've certainly come to the right place, there is a lot of good information to be had and a lot of helpful and generous people to talk to about all things, cigar related or otherwise.