Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    and you survived? .... I'm sorry ;)
  • Options
    Hello everyone. I've been reading a lot of the posts to get started and am grateful for the help.
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, Meat.

(If I had a nickel for every time I've said that, . . .)
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    urbino:
    Welcome, Meat.

(If I had a nickel for every time I've said that, . . .)

Welcome meat.
    (if I had a nickle for every time I heard that,...)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    And if I had a nickle...

Welcome to the forums Meatwad...Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan I presume?
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    And if I had a nickle...

Aqua Teen Hunger Force fan I presume?
    You bet.
  • Options
    Meatwad:
    j0z3r:
    And if I had a nickle...

You bet.
    And your avatar... image
  • Options

Hey all, first time posting. I am a newbie to the cigar world so bare with me as I struggle on. I have been lurking around on here for the past couple weeks when I'm free to gain as much knowledge as I can. I've only had a few here and there from local shops (don't remember the names) and I tried the cigar sampler from CCOM. The Corojo was definitely my favorite. I'm highly considering picking up the Sol Cubano One Day Deal for this Friday. My only contemplations at this point are what size of humidor to purchase (twice as big as what I decide on) and what else to try out.

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    BRob98Z28:
    bare with me
    Welcome B-Rob, but if you plan to keep lurking, we'd prefer you keep your clothes on ;)
  • Options
    CavguyCavguy Posts: 9
    Well it is almost a month after I smoked my first cigar and I am finally getting my second. I stopped in at my  local shop which was surprisingly very nice for being in a gas station. Going on advice from another shopper I got a Macanudo Crystal. He told me it should be a good smooth tasting cigar for a newbie. Once i smoke it I am hoping it will have been a good suggestion. Happy Halloween

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Meatwad:
    j0z3r:
    And if I had a nickle...

You bet.
    what the hell is that? oh and welcome all
  • Options
    hmbdddhmbddd Posts: 1
    Hey everyone! Just thought I'd quit lurking around and introduce myself. My name is Jeff and I currently reside in Tampa, FL. My romance with cigars is quite new, I only enjoyed my first this past July. I've been reading posts out here on almost a daily basis. I went to register with the community tonight only to realize that I joined earlier this month and have no recollection of it! I guess it was meant to be! I haven't taken the plunge into buying a humidor yet. So far I have been purchasing singles from two local B&Ms and smoking them the evening I purchase. Of everything I have tried, I have found that I have really enjoyed a Zino Classic No. 6 and an A. Fuente Gran Reserva Petit Corona Maduro. The only thing I haven't enjoyed as much was a Nub Habano Torpedo; but that was more because I felt it was short and hard to handle, I thought the taste was very good. Thanks for reading, I hope to stick around with the community for a long time. --Jeff P.S. A special thanks goes out to kuzi16. Your posts have been some of the most informative I've read anywhere. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jeff, Meat, Cav, BRob, Welcome to all ... ( Did I miss anyone ? ) Glad to have you all as company..
  • Options
    So I'm pretty new to the whole cigar thing. I actually used to be pretty strongly opposed to smoking (I can't stand cigarettes). Although I always loved the smell of cigar and pipe tobacco. My family grew tobacco (mostly for chew) for years and I've always loved visiting the local smoke shops because of how wonderful tobacco smells. A few weeks ago I started having dreams where I was smoking cigars and they wouldn't go away. I decided to go try one of my brothers favorite brands (Macanudo) assuming I would hate it and that would be the end of it.
    Well, I fell in love. I smoked it till it burned my fingers, then went back to the store and got an Arturo Funete. At this point I can hardly resist myself.  I found this site while trying to find a relatively cheap cigar I can smoke on a daily basis. I also want to set up a humidor (or coolerdor) to age my cigars. Some of my friends and family have recommended things like Swisher Sweets and Avanti for daily smokes, while these aren't awful, they dont' even compare to Macanudo and A.F.  And from what I've read, these are mostly beginner cigars.
    I find it kind of amusing that in less than a month I went from despising tobacco to actually salivating while reading cigar reviews. Prior to this my only real experience with tobacco was that my friends and family smoke cigarettes. Cigs do not even compare to cigars.  It's like comparing a go-kart to a sports car.

• Options
    Welcome to the forums Wafflebob. It's pretty amazing how the experience of a cigar can change the way you look at things. Of course there is nothing to compare between cigarettes and cigars...cigarettes are a quick nicotine fix, cigars are a relaxing and enjoyable way to spend some time. Glad to hear you enjoyed the cigars, this is the right place to be for good recommendations on new cigars to try, not to mention we've got a bunch of great guys here.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    keep reading, most of the threads are really helpful.
  • Options
    Wafflebob:
    So I'm pretty new to the whole cigar thing. I actually used to be pretty strongly opposed to smoking (I can't stand cigarettes). Although I always loved the smell of cigar and pipe tobacco. My family grew tobacco (mostly for chew) for years and I've always loved visiting the local smoke shops because of how wonderful tobacco smells. A few weeks ago I started having dreams where I was smoking cigars and they wouldn't go away. I decided to go try one of my brothers favorite brands (Macanudo) assuming I would hate it and that would be the end of it.
    Well, I fell in love. I smoked it till it burned my fingers, then went back to the store and got an Arturo Funete. At this point I can hardly resist myself.  I found this site while trying to find a relatively cheap cigar I can smoke on a daily basis. I also want to set up a humidor (or coolerdor) to age my cigars. Some of my friends and family have recommended things like Swisher Sweets and Avanti for daily smokes, while these aren't awful, they dont' even compare to Macanudo and A.F.  And from what I've read, these are mostly beginner cigars.
    I find it kind of amusing that in less than a month I went from despising tobacco to actually salivating while reading cigar reviews. Prior to this my only real experience with tobacco was that my friends and family smoke cigarettes. Cigs do not even compare to cigars.  It's like comparing a go-kart to a sports car.

Welcome Wafflebob, but you must never, ever, mention the words Swisher Sweets here again now that you have had quality cigars..And anyone who recommended them must never be spoken to again :} That being said, read the comments posted here and you will find some amazing cigars to try.. I know I have.
  • Options
    Welcome aboard, Wafflebob! (What a fun name to say. I like to Germanize it: Vafflebaub!)
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    That was what I was thinking too! lol, welcome. I do love fun names, makes things more interesting..
  • Options

Greetings all,

I have lurked here for quite a while now and decided to sign up and introduce myself.

My name is Dan and I live in Tucson AZ. I have been smoking cigars for about 20 years now and pipes longer than that. Though I smoke a variety of cigars, I tend towards the richness and complexity of full-bodied smokes with a preference for maduros.

A short list of some of my "regulars" would include: CAO Brazilia, Gurka Ancient Warrior, La Gloria Cubana Serie R, Camacho Corojo, Royal Jamacia Gold, RP The Edge and Sancho Panza Double Maduro.

I have been trying out the Cigar.com House Blend sampler and I have to say I've been quite inpressed. A few of them will be making a regular home in my 'dor.

I hope that I can contribute something worthwhile to the "discussion" here.

Cheers!

• Options
    Welcome aboard Dan. From the great white North.
  • Options
    Hey Dan, (SmokeRing) Welcome to the group. With twenty years of experience I get the feeling you have plenty to tell us all about.. I look forward to it. In your twenty, what is the best cigar you have ever had, and what is your most frequently smoked stick ?
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Hello Wafflebob and SmokeRing...pleasure to have yinz aboard.
  • Options

Hi, everyone! I thought I had posted here, before, but I guess not. I know I used to post on the Am. Backyard Forum, and still do on occasion.

I'm 33, from Joplin MO (southwest Missouri). I am originally from Sedalia... more central in the state. I'm married (for 2+ years) and have a 16-month old son. I am a chemical technician in R&D for a company that produces energy cells/batteries for Govt. contracts... including defense and space, and for commercial use.

Thanks for having me, here. I look forward to chatting with you all.

• Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    Welcome Frank and all the others that have joined.
  • Options
    Hey Frank, nice to have you here. Congratulations on all the the good things that have happened for you ( new bride and baby ), and I too look forward to hearing from you often. We will see what name tag we can come up with involving those frogs..
  • Options
    Welcome, newfers!
  • Options
    Hey all, I'm Dave (if you hadn't already figured that out). I'm 20 years old and my story is kinda the same as Vaffle-ahem...Wafflebob's. I used to hate smoking, drinking, ect. Of course, my thoughts on drinking changed once I left for college and my sister's boyfriend gave me a glass of Maker's Mark on my 18th birthday, but I still didn't really care for smoking. It was pretty much mainly oriented towards cigarette smokers, but since cigars were tobacco products too I lumped them in. I didn't think they were as bad and I kinda liked the image of Winston Churchill/Mark Twain/old bond villains with a glass of scotch and a cigar, but nonetheless I stayed away from them. Either way it doesn't help when your parents are staunch christian conservatives and raised you to believe that anyone who smokes or drinks is either immoral or a bum.

Anyway, a month or so ago I was at a friend of mine's birthday party, and another friend had given her the gift of some aged cigars. So we sat out on her back porch chatting, relaxing, and smoking. I tried one of the cigars and I was instantly hooked. Went out to the local cigar shop the very next day and bought a few singles to try and see what all I liked, a week later I ordered a 100-count humidor and filled it up, and I've been happily smoking since then.
  • Options
    Hi Dave, Frank and Sane. I hope I didn't miss anyone. Hello to you too if I did.

Boy this is getting to be a daily occurrence...welcoming new BOTL.

Good for Cigar.Com and good for us. Lots of new ideas and topics.
  • Options
    Hey all, I am a long time lurker and first time poster. Im just posting to introduce myself and say hi. Im def glad to belong to this great forum. -Darkness