Home General Discussion

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    BEAUTIFUL Vancouver Island, BC. How 'bout yourself?
  • I guess I should have done this a month ago!!!! My name is Matty the Mick and I'm an alc, ooops wrong place! JUST KIDDING!!! Im here to learn and hear diffrent opions bout the science of smokeing! To me it is a science and an art! I grew up on the east coast and Chicago! I'm a Harley Fanitic and love to ride!!! So that's about it in a nut shell, oh and I like women on the trashey side but a fine cigar!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome.
  • SacNickSacNick Posts: 77
    The Acids are not in the same Humi as the others. I have a little box with a pillow for the Acids.

Regarding the Ashton, the one I was disappointed in was the Ashton ESG. I liked the Ashton Cabinet. I will wait for these to come on sale to get more though.
    I just got another 43. Some Troya's from my local shop and the Cusano Corojo samplers. I can't help myself... ahhh...

Now my humidity is low, need another crystal jar, or whatever it's called.
    I want to join the cigar of the month club, but I think I more addicted to buying them than smoking them. I only smoke them on the weekend. Yet, I buy them to let them rest, so I CAN smoke them. Sheesh, what difficult "hobby".
    :)

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome aboard, CR.
    bump

With all the new people lately, and the proliferation of "Newbie" threads, it seemed like a good idea to resurrect this thread. Maybe we can corral all the introductions back in here.

With that said: welcome aboard, new guys!
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Thanks Urbino! Im a newbie and I admit it! Its Friday and I am contemplating how many cigars I am going to get in during 48 hours.
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Ok, So I keep seeing people recomend 5 Vegas? or is it the same poster over and over I dont know. Whats the deal is this just a great newbie break in stick?
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    Fourtotheflush:
    Ok, So I keep seeing people recomend 5 Vegas? or is it the same poster over and over I dont know. Whats the deal is this just a great newbie break in stick?
    Just some great sticks all around... In my personal opinion you'd be hard pressed to find better value/money ratio in any other line... If you haven't tried them, do, you're almost certain to not be disappointed!
  • So I've made a couple of posts already, but I didn't know about this thread until about now... So I guess I could post in here lol. Hey! I'm Chris. I am currently going to school at Purdue University in the middle of nowhere in Indiana, and my roomate and I just started smoking cigars. This place looks like it's full of excellent information and excellent people, so here I am. I'm pretty sure I'll be just reading more then posting for right now, I'll get into posting later. Btw, that "What are you smoking tonight?" thread is fascinating, it's like 90 pages of mini-reviews and peoples experiences with tons of cigars, I've made a little list off of the ones that sounded good in there :-D.
  • Big DanBig Dan Posts: 69
    so i started a lil while ago but this seems fun so here it is. Hi, im Dan im from Los Angeles CA, i run clubs and entertainment events and shows out here in LA.im also in college out here to get my fd/mba. I started getting into cigars when i got into the business about 2 years ago but i nvr really smoked them i just loved the smell and i would hav a puff every now and again, but now im really into it, im taking things slow so i can kind of find where i fit in and what appeals to me the most. i really enjoy this forum ive gained so much knowledge and everybody has been incredibly helpful. ill definiatly stick around.
  • It's always great to get new guys in here. Being a newbie myself only a handful of months ago, i can tell you all from experience that it can be daunting at first but all of these guys are real stand up characters and will help you with any problems. just don't call them experts, they'll laugh at you. HA!
  • BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    well my account got messed up sumhow so im using this one right now bummer all my posts r gone ;(
    ouch
  • sanesane Posts: 151
    Hello all, my name is Winter, I'm 25 and a newbie cigar lover.

I got introduced to good cigars by my uncles about three months ago and am really enjoining them.
    I've been reading this forum for almost the same amount of time and must say thanks to all of you, I have learned a lot and will hopefully continue to learn more from all of you. I would also like to thank CCom for being so helpful and for running a top notch site for the community.

Side note: I'm dyslexic so please forgive my grammar and spelling, spell check only goes so far.

PS. any one on this forum from Humboldt County, CA?
    Dude, if you misspelled anything, I didn't notice it. Welcome!

BTW, with a user name like that, I fear you're not going to fit in very well around here.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome Winter. This forum is a good place, as I'm sure you've noticed, for learning new things, and even re-learning things you thought you knew. Not to mention this is just a cool place to talk with some fellow leaf lovers.

What part of CA is Humboldt county in? It sounds familiar, but as far as I know I'm not too close.

Read closer urby, I caught one. Not that I'm nitpicking or anything, just that I always notice misspellings, they seem to jump out at me.
    j0z3r:

What part of CA is Humboldt county in? It sounds familiar, but as far as I know I'm not too close.

Humboldt County is about  4 1/2 hours north of San Fransisco in the Redwoods.
    The two meager city's are Eureka and Arcata.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Ok, yeah you're way north of me then. I'm down in Southern California, Riverside county to be specific, about an hour north of San Diego county.
    j0z3r:
    Ok, yeah you're way north of me then. I'm down in Southern California, Riverside county to be specific, about an hour north of San Diego county.

Cool, I'm down there every so often, that's where my uncles live.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    sane:
    j0z3r:

Cool, I'm down there every so often, that's where my uncles live.
    Welcome, Seine. (sorry, I'm not yet ready to welcome winter)

Where do your aunts live?
    welcome im from LA i kno where humbolt is my friend goes to school there also i took a drive to eureka once to visit some people. anyways enjoy the forum and enjoy the smokes
  • Hey, I'm the new guy. Actually I'm friends with Kuzi 16. He got me into cigars and suggested I join the forum. So, here I am. I don't know anything really, but I can appreciate them.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Welcome aboard, kuzi's friend!
    Any friend of kuzi's... Welcome!
  • New cigar smoker here.  Have always loved the smell of cigar smoke and had smoked a cigar now and again, but thought I would finally make a real attempt to understand what I was buying, smoking, etc.

This weekend I picked up a number of cigars based on some of the things I have read on this site as well as others.  I just wanted a range...something to get me started.

I got:

1) Avo #2
    2) Oliva Serie O
    3) Ashton Cabinet
    4) 1957 Series (I don't know the full name...the salesman recommended it and I felt I was on a roll... :) )
    5) Cabiguan
    6) Fonseca
    7) Padron 1964 Anniversary Series
    8) Rocky Patel Vintage 1992

Hopefully, these are good.  Let me know what you think!

-Matt

Welcome, Matt. I'd say you done darn good. I don't know 4 or 5, but everything else is excellent, and you got a good variety: several wrappers, several countries, a range of strengths (mild to fairly strong: Ashton, Avo, Oliva, Fonseca, RP, Padron).
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Hey, I'm the new guy. Actually I'm friends with Kuzi 16. He got me into cigars and suggested I join the forum. So, here I am. I don't know anything really, but I can appreciate them.
    TFH.. Welcome to the group. Remember to wash those hands before returning to work >
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    welcome, fellers.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    sane:
    Hello all, my name is Winter, I'm 25 and a newbie cigar lover.

I got introduced to good cigars by my uncles about three months ago and am really enjoining them.
    I've been reading this forum for almost the same amount of time and must say thanks to all of you, I have learned a lot and will hopefully continue to learn more from all of you. I would also like to thank CCom for being so helpful and for running a top notch site for the community.

Side note: I'm dyslexic so please forgive my grammar and spelling, spell check only goes so far.

PS. any one on this forum from Humboldt County, CA?
    I can actually welcome Winter... I'm sick of my Humi running upwards of 77 degrees during the day!

WELCOME