Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Hey, I'm the new guy. Actually I'm friends with Kuzi 16. He got me into cigars and suggested I join the forum. So, here I am. I don't know anything really, but I can appreciate them.
    Name dropping will get you everywhere around here!

Welcome friend of Kuzi...

Maybe Fruzi???
  • Options
    matt d:
    New cigar smoker here.  Have always loved the smell of cigar smoke and had smoked a cigar now and again, but thought I would finally make a real attempt to understand what I was buying, smoking, etc.

This weekend I picked up a number of cigars based on some of the things I have read on this site as well as others.  I just wanted a range...something to get me started.

I got:

1) Avo #2
    2) Oliva Serie O
    3) Ashton Cabinet
    4) 1957 Series (I don't know the full name...the salesman recommended it and I felt I was on a roll... :) )
    5) Cabiguan
    6) Fonseca
    7) Padron 1964 Anniversary Series
    8) Rocky Patel Vintage 1992

Hopefully, these are good.  Let me know what you think!

-Matt

All of those sound delicious... I've been back to smoking cigars for about 4 months now and I'm still bustling to try everything I can... So enjoy and just try as much as you can to get your tastes honed in on some great sticks!
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Lasabar:
    Maybe Fruzi???
    And I do believe a nickname has been born.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    Lasabar:
    Maybe Fruzi???
    And I do believe a nickname has been born.
    It also sounds like a frozen drink too!
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    welcome newbies
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Lasabar:
    Welcome friend of Kuzi...

Maybe Fruzi???
    Maybe FOK?

Yes... welcome, fokker!
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Hey, I'm the new guy. Actually I'm friends with Kuzi 16. He got me into cigars and suggested I join the forum. So, here I am. I don't know anything really, but I can appreciate them.
    Just don't drink the Kool-Aid, Fruzi! There are other cigars out there besides Gurkha's. *whispers*Rocky, Rocky!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im actually holding a few sticks for him in my humi right now. neither are a RP or a Gurkha. Both are Cusano. ... one 18 paired maduro and one Corojo 97.

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I can't wait for this heat to be over as well! Welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    im actually holding a few sticks for him in my humi right now. neither are a RP or a Gurkha. Both are Cusano. ... one 18 paired maduro and one Corojo 97.

I was gonna make a comment about how great those are, but I don't want to spoil it in case you're planning to surprise him with them later ;)
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

I was gonna make a comment about how great those are, but I don't want to spoil it in case you're planning to surprise him with them later ;)
    well, hes on the boards here now, plus, he was there when we picked em up.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:

well, hes on the boards here now, plus, he was there when we picked em up.
    *sigh* you never pick up on my sarcasm... I even threw the wink in there to help you along. Remember, we just welcomed him to the boards (fokker)
  • Options
    kuzi16:

You know I was just giving you sh*t. Two very good medium smokes.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

whatever, i know you hate me and gurkha blindly.

im gunna go cry now.
    ...probably with a don tomas out of my aging humidor.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    kuzi16:

whatever, i know you hate me and gurkha blindly.

im gunna go cry now.
    ...probably with a don tomas out of my aging humidor.
    Blindly? You, yes, well until Dec. Gurkha no I was looking at a bunch of them yesterday when I was doing inventory on the humis after being lazy for a while and forgetting to remove smoked cigars frm my spreadsheets.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Who uses what to log their cigars?
    Spreadsheet
    Notebook
    crayon
    Myspace
    WMS
  • Options
    BigDan.BigDan. Posts: 211
    haha to crayon and i use cigar briefcase it allows me to know how long my cigars have been in my humidor and it allows me to give them a basic 1-10 rating it also lets u set in the shop u bought it at the specifics of the cigar and a picture.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Is that software?
    Online?
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    Fourtotheflush:
    Who uses what to log their cigars?
    Spreadsheet
    Notebook
    crayon
    Myspace
    WMS

I use two tools.
    1. A custom DB/web site that I'm working on.
    2. A Google Doc's Form that I created until the db/web site are done.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    NEWBIES to the CCOM forum, break the ice here with a small introduction or something to make you feel a bit comfortable posting on the forum. We now have over 900 members, but less that 10% of them post with any kind of regularity.

So don't be shy just cuz you're new, most of us (if not all ) will welcome you with open arms and be happy to have you as part of the community so long as you are decent and respectful.

Disclaimer: I by no means speak for the community at large, but I've got a hunch that quite a few people would agree with me.

Joe
    Just bringing this thread back to the top. With 2000+ members now, there's always room for more !!
  • Options
    Well, I guess I'll go ahead and introduce myself seeming as though I'm a fresh 'newb'.

My name is Brett, I live in the Seattle area, which by looking around the forums, doesn't seem to breed alot of cigar appreciators :-)

I've always enjoyed a good cigar, but I've only really grown 'serious' about it in the past couple of months.  I must say though, I wish I had been more into it a long time ago!  Right now there's not much in my humidor, but it's growing at a decent rate.  For personal tastes, I usually go for something with a strong, bold body, and more often than not I go for the robusto size range.  My current favorite and go-to cigar is the CAO Brazilia.

Well, that's all I can think of right now for a simple intro, so I'll just leave with this:  Hello all!
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome, brett. The Brazilia has a number of fans here.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Welcome to the forums Brett. You've landed in good company.
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcomes, there seems to be alot of good conversation in the various areas of the forums, so I'm sure I'll have a good time here.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome from Vancouver Island, Brett
  • Options
    ebitlerebitler Posts: 57
    Hey All

Saw this post come to the top so I thought I would take the oppurtunity to introduce myself.  I've been ready the forums for a couple of weeks now but haven't posted.  My name's Eric, 25 from Charlotte,  NC.  I'm definately new to the world of cigars and I'm really starting to enjoy it.  I've been buying a lot of singles from the retail stores trying to get a taste for what I like.  I actually made my first c.com purchase today.  Hopefully there are more of you from charlotte on these boards very very few of my friends smoke cigars, so I need to find some new smoking friends.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Welcome Ebit. Ask all the questions you want, there are some knowledgable folks on here. Andy I know of atleast one person on here from your area. Enjoy.
  • Options
    Hey, how 'bout that, Eric.. I live in Charlotte as well. Good to have you aboard! Have you been to Outland Cigar in Ballantyne? They've got three house blends that are unbelievably tasty (well, at least two of them are.. I haven't had the third yet). I'm probably headed there sometime on Monday to grab a couple sticks.

Brett, thanks for posting up as well. I haven't had the Brazilia, but was planning to pick up a pair soon.
  • Options
    Well I'm new kinda. I was a member back when this was on the Amback, but I took about a year off of posting. Mainly I was too cheap to pay for internet service and was extremely busy at work. Now I'm over in Iraq with nothing but time on my hands and buying cigars like crazy. Got me the C.com humidor, but it's already full. Speaking of which, it's about time in my day to pull something out of it.
  • Options
    sanesane Posts: 151
    Welcome all,
    I hope you all enjoy the forum/community as much as I do.