Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    thehilkthehilk Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    Aloha.
    I'm realatively new to the cigar scene. I bartended at a cigar bar in San Jose many years ago and thought that tobacco wasn't my thing. My fiancé recently went to Cuba and brought me back some cohiba's and now I've "seen the light". My fav were the maduro no. 5's. Any recommendations on comperable (yet cheaper)?
    Welcome, I have very limited experience with Cubans. So,I have no suggestions for you other than to start trying non cubans. Maybe try the Crowned Heads Jerico Hill. I have no clue if they would compare to the cohiba you mentioned but I sure do like 'em. 
    I couldn't agree more the Jericho Hill is one of the best cigars from The Crowned Heads, as well as one of my favs since their release

also keep an eye out for the Four Kicks Maduro... I can't wait for that.

i think @Cigar-20013819 you're going to find that most of these guys haven't met a cigar they wouldn't smoke, it's just really about finding the ones you prefer to smoke first
  • Options

dirtdude said:
    thehilk said:
    Hi everyone at the suggestion of @CharlieHeis I am posting, I'm not a newbie however I have been away for a while.... It's good to be back
    I thought @Patrickbrick was the only one that took Charlie's suggestions seriously, welcome back
    After splitting a box of Tennessee Waltz with @CharlieHeis I'll follow that mans advice every time!
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2017
    Good to see you back, also I hope you learned what end of an antidote to light, lol could not help myself.  I think I might owe you a few more smokes for giving Brett up a couple three years ago, you still at the same place?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Options
    Good to see you back, also I hope you learned what end of an antidote to light, lol could not help myself.  I think I might owe you a few more smokes for giving Brett up a couple three years ago, you still at the same place?
    Lol. Good ole Brett, he still kicking around here? Yes I'm still at the same place, but that's a dangerous game to play @Patrickbrick
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why they post a hello and not get involved?
    They skeered?

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome noobs and returning members.
  • Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett hasn't been around for awhile.
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brett hasn't been around for awhile.
    I tried to roust him a bit ago but nothing.
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thehilk said:

dirtdude said:
    thehilk said:
    Hi everyone at the suggestion of @CharlieHeis I am posting, I'm not a newbie however I have been away for a while.... It's good to be back
    I thought @Patrickbrick was the only one that took Charlie's suggestions seriously, welcome back
    After splitting a box of Tennessee Waltz with @CharlieHeis I'll follow that mans advice every time!
    I was kidding of course
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Options
    JET55 said:
    Noob here..B)

Been lurking for a bit and thought I'd say hey. I'm currently obsessed with Padron, tried a 1964 Principe about a month ago and fell in love. Since then I've been trying their different sizes to see what I like best. Just had a 6000 natural wrap out by the pool, it was pretty tasty. I started using Tupperware at first with boveda, then I bought a small humidor but it wasn't big enough. Now I've got a 250 count Whynter cooler coming this week that I plan on stocking up with.  
    Welcome.
    Don't believe anything any of these jokers say. They all lie.
    Oh and look up cameroon cigars. 
    Just sayin.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    JET55JET55 Posts: 20
    0patience said:
    JET55 said:
    Noob here..B)

Been lurking for a bit and thought I'd say hey. I'm currently obsessed with Padron, tried a 1964 Principe about a month ago and fell in love. Since then I've been trying their different sizes to see what I like best. Just had a 6000 natural wrap out by the pool, it was pretty tasty. I started using Tupperware at first with boveda, then I bought a small humidor but it wasn't big enough. Now I've got a 250 count Whynter cooler coming this week that I plan on stocking up with.  
    Welcome.
    Don't believe anything any of these jokers say. They all lie.
    Oh and look up cameroon cigars. 
    Just sayin.

Cameroon? I'm still in the trying phase, so I've only tried a few different brands. Fuente, Padron, RyJ and Patel so far. What's the Cameroon taste like, any recommendations?  
  • Options
    I'm used to fish stories, so a few lies won't wreck me... lol

• Options
    Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh good, Everything they say about me is a lie  :D
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • Options
    Hi @JET55
    You might wanna rethink hanging around here with a Humidor that small lol, Some of us have real problems that 250 qt coolers can't solve.  And it's Contagious.
    But welcome.

Ehh, that's just going to be my daily smoke humidor. My biggest problem is running out of hundred dollar bills to light them with. I prefer new bills cause you don't know where the old ones have been (think sweaty pole dancer). So when I go to my bank to re-up I have to sort through to pick out the new bills. :p
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JET55 said:
    Hi @JET55
    You might wanna rethink hanging around here with a Humidor that small lol, Some of us have real problems that 250 qt coolers can't solve.  And it's Contagious.
    But welcome.

Ehh, that's just going to be my daily smoke humidor. My biggest problem is running out of hundred dollar bills to light them with. I prefer new bills cause you don't know where the old ones have been (think sweaty pole dancer). So when I go to my bank to re-up I have to sort through to pick out the new bills. :p
    Welcome to the asylum for cigar junkies. 
    Sounds like you will fit in well here. 
    Stick around, read old threads, ask questions, but I know nothing.
    However it has been said I am much nicer in person than on the forum. 
    P.S. Get a cooler. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Hey @JET55 where you at in Charlotte. I'm just over the line in Cabarrus.
  • Options
    deadman said:
    Hey @JET55 where you at in Charlotte. I'm just over the line in Cabarrus.

Hey! South Charlotte, near Pineville. 
  • Options
    I'm about 10 min from Mint Hill/ 485
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, @JET55
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Welcome to the forum, @JET55
    Thanks man! Looks like I've got people nearby to obsess with. 
  • Options
    Welcome @JET55 looks like you're getting started right! After I joined this forum I had to go the cooler route myself
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    @JET55 welcome aboard, I tend to lean toward padron' s too. You might try CLE, Eiroa, New World Box prrssed, just to name a few that will fit that type. Oh, need to try to join us on the VHerf. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    JET55 said:

Cameroon? I'm still in the trying phase, so I've only tried a few different brands. Fuente, Padron, RyJ and Patel so far. What's the Cameroon taste like, any recommendations?  
    Cameroons.
    Torano 1916
    CAO CX2
    Fuente Hemingway 
    And so many more to list.

Trust me, you won't be sorry.
    Well, maybe your tastes are all screwed up and you might. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! The Aj Fernandez box pressed look very promising and I'd like to try the Fuente Hemingway. I'm going to see if I can find some locally to try out
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard the crazy train @JET55. Great group of guys on here - just don't take any of us too seriously lol.

If you haven't tried the Aging Room F55 yet, I strongly suggest you go CAS on a box of them. The new Cohiba Blues are pretty awesome as well. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    I bought a cooler to store my stogies in so I can try all these suggestions...lol.  And I also used some Amazon points to buy a Whynter cooler to keep stuff close by.

So far I've tried... Fuente Hemmingway: Nice stick, decent flavor, saving some for deep sea fishing with my bro off the coast of RI cause they light so easy! Fuente Anejo: It's going back to the shop tomorrow! Unwrapped it and found mold, just got it yesterday =(. Aj Fernandez Enclave: cause they didn't get any box pressed yet. It was ok, not great, but I want to try the box pressed. So I've been reading up, not sure if this is the place to post or should I start another.... but with the oily wrappers they say store at 65/65, everything else 70/70? In the cooler I've got some empty boxes and 70% gel in a cup. In the Whynter I've got it at 66 deg F (highest it goes) and 68% or so. So far, so good!

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Those Fuentes Anejos are good. 

I store everything together, cooler stays at 68%
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    @Markwell, CAS?