Comments

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard to all new folks. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 7
    edited December 2019
    So I am trying to season this new humidor (used the wipe down method and the sponge on a ziplock bag until it read 72). Then I took the sponge/ziplock back out.. I forgot to see if the analog hygrometer was reading correctly. It showed 72 percent. I went and bought a digital hygrometer today to only see the new humidor reads 87% at 71.4 degrees F. This is a smaller humidor (25-50 desktop). Let’s remember this is only day 2. I just don’t want mold growing and I want the right percentage as well for my soon to be collection of cigars!

What do I need to do to get the percentage right? Let’s keep in mind this is my first humidor (other than the smaller travel size). 

Thank y’all in advance!
  • Options
    WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @Roger and @MountainSMOKE
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roger said:
    So I am trying to season this new humidor (used the wipe down method and the sponge on a ziplock bag until it read 72). Then I took the sponge/ziplock back out.. I forgot to see if the analog hygrometer was reading correctly. It showed 72 percent. I went and bought a digital hygrometer today to only see the new humidor reads 87% at 71.4 degrees F. This is a smaller humidor (25-50 desktop). Let’s remember this is only day 2. I just don’t want mold growing and I want the right percentage as well for my soon to be collection of cigars!

What do I need to do to get the percentage right? Let’s keep in mind this is my first humidor (other than the smaller travel size). 

Thank y’all in advance!

Put a large 69% boveda in it and let it sit for a week.  Welcome to the forum.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited December 2019
    Welcome all new folks to the forum.  Save time @Roger, buy Boveda packs, a cooler that seals tight, throw away the humidor, clean the cooler with water baking soda a little drop of dish detergent, dry it out, line with paper, throw Bovedas in the bottom and you can store your sticks right away leave your new digital hygrometers near the top when you open it.  Boom your good to go no issues. Coolers and sealed plastic boxes are more reliable and less hassle. 
  • Options
    Fine137Fine137 Posts: 39 ✭✭✭
    Hi all,

My name is Rob and I’m definitely a newbie to cigars.  Interesting I was asked to use some of my contacts in the world of fine wine to source some nice Cubans for a friend of a friend.  I rounded some up and then it turned out that that friend didn’t care for cigars so I ended up with them.

i smoked a couple of them, rather inexpertly I’m sure, but it was enjoyable.  I tend to get obsessed with collecting things and have continued to buy a cigar here and there.  I now have about a hundred of them and I can see that growing.  I’m kind of flying blind when I buy because there are so many choices and I have really only smoked a few different cigars, some Padron’s, Cohiba and Montecristo.   

I thought this this forum might afford me the opportunity to learn and diversify.  
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, Rob.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rob! This place is a blast! Most fun I’ve ever had learning more about an already great hobby. Glad you found us!
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rob. 
  • Options
    @Fine137 welcome Rob. Lots of information in the forum. It is a great place. 
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome Rob @fine137.  There being so many choices is what makes cigars fun.  Enjoy the ride.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    Edward_3Edward_3 Posts: 3
    Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum.  Have a 300 stick electric humidor, that usually has 150 cigars at all times.  My all time favorite stogies would be Padron 1964 Maduro, then the 1926 Serie...#6.  Joined a couple cigar of the month clubs to quickly stock my humidor back up, so when summer comes I'll be ready to go!   I love cigars and I can't wait to learn some new things from this group! 
  • Options
    NineToesNineToes Posts: 75 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Hey, don't you know your first post is supposed to be asking for advice on a cheap humidor, or trying to sell something?  LOL

Welcome, @NineToes

Haha. You mean I screwed up already! Thanks for the welcome. 
  • Options
    Welcome John, try some of the Black Works  or Roma Craft cigars for bold.
    Thanks for the recommendations and the warm welcome. I will surely try them. 
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome, John and Edward.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Yakster said:
    Welcome, John and Edward.
    Thanks Yakster. Much appreciated. 
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome @NineToes and @Edward_3 stick around there is a lot of knowledge to gain from the veterans on this site.

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome guys!  A couple of things:

We already have an Edward, and a Significant 3, so @Edward_3 needs a new nickname.  

The only handle worse than @NineToes is @eighttoes.  Sounds painful!

The best cigar of the month club on the planet is to buy samplers from the members here.  

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Trykflyr_1Trykflyr_1 Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome all. Having a habit of collecting and smoking cigars is a dangerous and expensive combination!!
    Says the guy with coolidors that go to 11.    :D
    I'm still troubled by what I did for that Klondike bar...
  • Options
    NorCalR1 said:
    Welcome @NineToes and @Edward_3 stick around there is a lot of knowledge to gain from the veterans on this site.
    Yes sir. Looking forward to the knowledge! Thanks for the welcome. 
  • Options
    edited January 2020

We already have an Edward, and a Significant 3, so @Edward_3 needs a new nickname.  

The best cigar of the month club on the planet is to buy samplers from the members here.  

I would agree becoming NineToes was a bit painful.  I look forward to gaining the respect of the members here and making some friends. Definitely down for the samplers from other members. Thanks Frank!
  • Options
    Welcome all. Having a habit of collecting and smoking cigars is a dangerous and expensive combination!!
    My wife keeps pointing that out to me but I'm hard headed! Thanks for the welcome Far North. 
  • Options
    JGruveyJGruvey Posts: 627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome John and Edward!
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NineToes said:

I would agree becoming NineToes was a bit painful.  I look forward to gaining the respect of the members here and making some friends. Definitely down for the samplers from other members. Thanks Frank!

Going to 9.5 toes was pretty painful too

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.