Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    BrokegunnerBrokegunner Posts: 438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@deadman said:
    Welcome @Brokegunner

Get those acids in a separate humidor if they aren’t already otherwise they will all be infused.

Yes, thanks I do have them all separated but now the ratio is eventually going to flip and I'll have more "grown up" cigars and then I'll have to replace that humidor as it seems to have developed into an infuse-ador :D

"Not all heroes eat crepes"

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy @Brokegunner, glad to meet you.

More than a great hub of information, we're a tight knit community of cigar smokers. Although we are small, the people here make this place special. We will chat, talk some trash, and joke around. Good place here.

Pull up a chair and a smoke. Let us know what you're smoking in the "what are you smoking" this morning/afternoon/tonight threads. Join us on the vherf and hang out a while too, if you'd like.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Thanks @VegasFrank, I am not familiar with vherf so I tried a Bing search and got a page with a blank frame that looks like a chat window. Is there somewhere here in the forum that explains what it is or how to use it?

• Options

Oh, ha, sure @Brokegunner. We do a zoom meeting nightly (and some mornings) where we all log on, light up a stogie, and just BS for a while. If you go to the "new vherf (zoom)" thread and the first post has the login details.

Guys use cell phones, ipads, or computers to log on. I'll prolly be on in like an hour or so. There might be guys logged on already.

If you can't find the details, let us know!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner, stick around, lots of great people on the site.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner hope you stick around as this is a great place! Where about a in gold country? I was just up that way a few weeks back ( Georgetown / volcanoville area).

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner. At this moment, @VegasFrank and I are on the vHerf zoom meeting thing with five others. Feel free to log in.

• Options

Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, @Brokegunner! If you haven't received the latest newsletter yet, PM me your address and I'll make sure you get on the list.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome, @Brokegunner. I spent my childhood repairing large console radios that my dad bought at auctions; that was back in the '50s, thanks for stirring that memory.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner , I think you'll like it here, as long as you don't have thin skin. Plenty of shooters here, too.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@NorCalR1 said:
    Welcome @Brokegunner hope you stick around as this is a great place! Where about a in gold country? I was just up that way a few weeks back ( Georgetown / volcanoville area).

I'm in Calaveras County, near Angels Camp and Jackson. I grew up in San Jose/Almaden, back when it was affordable ;)

• Options
    Brandon_CBrandon_C Posts: 12 ✭✭
    edited July 2021

Hi all. Been enjoying cigars for abt 15yrs. Haven’t smoked one in a while, for no real reason. That’s not entirely true. I let my humidor go dry, and I was just too lazy to get back In shape. But, I’m about to spend more time out on my deck with my new Recteq 590, and I think it’s the perfect time to start enjoying them again. My big question is: with a humidor that’s been idle for approx 3yrs, do I need to season it again, or am I good to just get new humidification and put it in with the cigars as is?

It’s been a few years since I’ve been active on a cigar forum, but wasn’t there a forum on CI’s main page? That’s where I went first looking for a forum.

My faves are pretty much anything rolled by Don Garcia. I used to say he could roll a cat **** in a maduro wrapper & I’d smoke it. Oliva is another go-to.

V-cut
    Wrapper on

-Brandon

• Options

Welcome, Brandon. Have you considered storing your cigars in a tupperdor or a cooler with Bovedas? It's a lot less work than a humidor, holds the humidity so well that the Bovedas last a long time between recharges. I actually like the Iris Weather Tight plastic crates (62 quart is what I get) and they've been on sale at Home Depot recently, might still get a deal if you like that idea. My Wife shot down the idea of using coolers in the house to store cigars.

If you really want to bring back that humidor you should re-season it and take your time bringing it back, about two weeks, so the humidor doesn't suck moisture out of your cigars. Make sure that there's no old mold in their while you're at it. If you've already picked up some cigars you can put them in some Ziplocs, tupperware, etc. with Bovedas while you season your humidor.

What kind of cigars do you like? Grilling is perfect me time to hang out on the patio and smoke or grill and enjoy a cigar. If your so inclined some of us hang out on Zoom calls which we call the vHerf and talk about cigars and bs and your welcome to join us.

• Options

Howdy @Brandon_C and welcome.

The old CI forum is dead. They stopped offering it. Some of those guys still post in the "ye old CI..." thread.

Enjoy your wood humidors and stick around!

Don't look ↑
  • Options

@Yakster, thanks for the welcome & reminding me about tuppadors/cooladors. In another life I had 120qt coolador, but having only a handful of cigars right now, that definitely didn’t cross my mind. However, a tuppador seems like the most likely option for time & space considerations.

For an inexpensive, everyday smoke, I like a Perdomo Lot 23 maduro. The vherf sounds intriguing. Don’t have any fellow BOTL’s here in NW GA to smoke with, though there are a couple of nice b&m’s abt 25mins up the road in Chattanooga.

• Options

@VegasFrank said:
    Howdy @Brandon_C and welcome.

The old CI forum is dead. They stopped offering it. Some of those guys still post in the "ye old CI..." thread.

@VegasFrank I figured as much. I’ll definitely check out that thread. Thanks for the info.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,808 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Brandon_C said:
    Hi all. Been enjoying cigars for abt 15yrs. Haven’t smoked one in a while, for no real reason. That’s not entirely true. I let my humidor go dry, and I was just too lazy to get back In shape. But, I’m about to spend more time out on my deck with my new Recteq 590, and I think it’s the perfect time to start enjoying them again. My big question is: with a humidor that’s been idle for approx 3yrs, do I need to season it again, or am I good to just get new humidification and put it in with the cigars as is?

It’s been a few years since I’ve been active on a cigar forum, but wasn’t there a forum on CI’s main page? That’s where I went first looking for a forum.

My faves are pretty much anything rolled by Don Garcia. I used to say he could roll a cat **** in a maduro wrapper & I’d smoke it. Oliva is another go-to.

V-cut
    Wrapper on

-Brandon

I remove the wrapper so I can taste the filler and the binder!

• Options

@Vision said:

I remove the wrapper so I can taste the filler and the binder!

I mean, that’s definitely one way to do it. But I prefer to really work for it! 😂

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum @Brandon_C
    Wood humi even in use needs to be seasoned yearly.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome y'all

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

A hearty welcome to all.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brandon_C. I'm sure you'll be comfortable here. We have a good membership. Right now I have a humidor, tupperdore and Ziploc bags in service. Wood humidors are a lot of work, I hate work. What are the dimensions of yours?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    KenDKenD Posts: 6

I''m having trouble getting my humidor to respond to seasoning. I've seasoned it three times since getting it. While empty, it'll stay at around 70RH, but once I load my cigars back into it, the RH drops to below 65. I've put two Drymistat tubes in but still can't get it ti stay around 70 with the sticks in it. I don't know if I'm being impatient, or if the humidor is defective. I've tried putting two hygrometers in and both have similar readings.

• Options

Thanks @ShawnOL. It just a 100ct humidor. And I hate work, too. Which is why I took @Yakster’s advice and ordered some Iris Weathertight bins (wondering if I need to get some Spanish cedar veneers to line those bins?). Still need to order some Boveda 69’s.

• Options

@KenD said:
    I''m having trouble getting my humidor to respond to seasoning. I've seasoned it three times since getting it. While empty, it'll stay at around 70RH, but once I load my cigars back into it, the RH drops to below 65. I've put two Drymistat tubes in but still can't get it ti stay around 70 with the sticks in it. I don't know if I'm being impatient, or if the humidor is defective. I've tried putting two hygrometers in and both have similar readings.

Sounds like your cigars aren't at 70 percent. That's a good thing. Keep that thing around 60 to 65. Keeps the bugs out.

Don't look ↑
  • Options

Yeah, I like dem 62 & 65 % Bovedas.

• Options
    CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to all the new folks