Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Don66 along with what everyone else said...you may want to experiment with different cuts or even a punch. Over trimming the cap can open a cigar up too much and let the smoke rush through quickly making it seem harsh.

• Options
    Don66Don66 Posts: 8

That’s interesting. I used a punch because it’s pressed. I thought it was the other way around, that a punch concentrates the smoke whereas a cut makes for a more open, easier draw. I don’t own a V cutter so I can’t say in that regard.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Don66 said:
    That’s interesting. I used a punch because it’s pressed. I thought it was the other way around, that a punch concentrates the smoke whereas a cut makes for a more open, easier draw. I don’t own a V cutter so I can’t say in that regard.

A Punch will concentrate tar buildup towards the end of the smoke. Not sure way it would be harsh to start.

• Options

@Don66 said:

Yes a cut makes for a more open, easier draw. But that open easier draw can make some tobaccos burn hotter.

• Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

I usually encounter this problem when the cigars haven’t sat long enough in the humidor @Don66

There’s my contribution 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Options
    raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Don66 and @Rdp77 . I'm relatively new to the Forum myself and find the guys on here quite informative and humorous. But you gotta keep up on the threads or you might not catch it easily. I personally just try to keep my head down! Haha

That alone should draw friendly-fiire.

Things are about to get interesting...

• Options

^ nice target you placed on your own back 🎯

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,719 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw him talking to @Guitarded on the vherf this week

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    MrShrekMrShrek Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @CigarKev2021 stick around! Lots of great folks on here and tons of info.

• Options

@CigarKev2021 I’m pretty new to the forum myself...they’re a pretty good group. Just don’t be too thin skinned and keep your ears open. There’s a lot of good info to be found here.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2021

@CigarKev2021 said:
    Hello. I'm excited to learn more about cigars and meet new people on this forum. My buddy Wayne in Reno introduced me to the forum and I can't wait to discuss cigars. Thanks!

Hello @CigarKev2021 , welcome. Two threads that are must-reads are: (almost) all inclusive guide to cigar etiquette, found in General Discussion, and Developing your Palate in Cigar 101. BTW, note that it is Palate, NOT Pallet. Two different things which seem to be often confused by the uninitiated. If Wayne sent you then you have a good guide to the shenanigans, I mean, the way things work here. Have fun. Glad to have you.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Oh, and check out the links under Kuzi's post. There's more cigar knowledge there than most people on the planet have any notion of. I hope they still work, he doesn't come around as often as he used to.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @CigarKev2021

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    raidermikeraidermike Posts: 276 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @CigarKev2021 .

Things are about to get interesting...

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome all

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome all.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    CommanderDuke1_CommanderDuke1_ Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome all!!

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,776 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi @Old_Toby, welcome. Let me know if you have any questions.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Welcome @Old_Toby there is a lot of good information to be found around here....and some of these guys actually have a little sense 😂

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Old_Toby

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome aboard.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@Rdp77 said:
    Welcome @Old_Toby there is a lot of good information to be found around here....and some of these guys actually have a little sense 😂

Welcome. A short leap of faith makes me think that you may partake of the pipe tobacco varietals as well. Check out the pipe section if that is the case.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Brokegunner

Get those acids in a separate humidor if they aren’t already otherwise they will all be infused.

• Options

Welcome @Brokegunner , adding to the list of Californians in here. Keep trying new stuff and post in here when you can. This forum is an excellent hub of information