Home General Discussion
Options

THE NEWBIE WELCOMING THREAD

Comments

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @FIRERAT .

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Welcome @FIRERAT.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,701 ✭✭✭✭✭

Howdy @FIRERAT.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome new folks!

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

@Yakster said:
    Welcome, @Cyberstar_626, post up here.

@Cyberstar_626? I feel like I've been ghosted.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Cam_91Cam_91 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cyberstar_626 said:
    Hello everyone, the name is Omar I am from Los Angeles 626 area. I been smoking cigars for a couple months I have been enjoying medium bodied cigars. Just recently I bought a 50 count humidor and working towards filling it up.

@Yakster said:
    Welcome @Cyberstar_626, this is a great place, you'll get a lot of advice, even advice you don't ask for. Roll with it and you'll be fine.

He posted here yak

• Options
    edited April 2021

Well shlt, I've got to pay more attention. Welcome Omar. My bad.

• Options
    MilkboneMilkbone Posts: 1

I’m Scott, just found the love and peace of cigars. Looking for recommendations on what everyone’s favorite cigars are. Glad to be in this.

• Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome new guys, great place

I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Milkbone said:
    I’m Scott, just found the love and peace of cigars. Looking for recommendations on what everyone’s favorite cigars are. Glad to be in this.

Welcome aboard @Milkbone .
    Keep an eye on the What Are You Smoking (morning, afternoon, tonight) threads. You'll learn a lot.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome @Milkbone. Stick around and enjoy the show.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

Howdy @Milkbone

Smoke what @Usaf06 smokes. That's the good shít. Oh, AJ blends don't suck, FYI.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2021

Welcome, Rusty! Stick around... ignore the smartasses with their smartass answers.

Let's see who gets the Kramer pic.

Post edited by peter4jc on
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options

Welcome to the forum, Rusty.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    Welcome, Rusty! Stick around... ignore the smartasses with their smartass answers.

That's pretty rich coming from the head of smartassery.....That coming from a smartassery apprentice in training.

Welcome Rusty, pull up a chair and stay awhile. A bunch of good people around here....Just takes awhile to get used to us

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,018 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rdp77 Welcome Rusty. We are a small forum of regular participants. We know each other well and there will be some smartassery that might be a turn-off but don't take it personal. Roll with it. We aren't mean. Really.

• Options

Howdy @Rdp77. Good to meechya!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Don66 said:
    Question for the more experienced. Got my wineador set up, humidity holding about 66%, temperature at 65 with probably 100 cigars. Question: why do all my cigars take an inch or two before I start enjoying them? Smoking a New World toro and it seems like it was about 3 inches in before it became very good. Is it always that way? Do you enjoy those first two inches? I just realized how sexual this all became. 😊

How big is it?? The wineador that is.

• Options

Welcome @Don66, how are you lighting your cigars? I haven't noticed this problem with mine, but I spend a bit of effort to toast the foot before I light which helps to start it burning evenly. What's the temperature and humidity where you smoke? You could try dry boxing a cigar by leaving it out where you're going to smoke it for a few hours ahead of time to see if it smokes better right off the bat.

• Options

@Don66 what don't you like about the first couple of inches. Are they too peppery or dull and dead or taste burned?

How do you light them? Matches or cedar spills or bic or torch or zippo? Hint: don't use a zippo or anything with lighter fluid.

What size do you smoke? I find that churchills start dull and take some time to ramp up. Toros sometimes have an epic shít ton of pepper for the fist inch.

What brands are you smoking?

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    Don66Don66 Posts: 8

My wineador is a Tocca. Seems exactly like the Audew 300 capacity. It’s damn cold outside right now but that’s not stopping me. It’s just those first two inches I find harsh and unappealing. After that, it settles down into an enjoyable smoke. I just don’t seem to get that same satisfaction when I first light up. Maybe it’s just me. I’ll try dryboxing it next time to see if that helps.

• Options

I’m using a torch to toast it before I draw on it. Mostly smoking rubustos. The New World I was smoking is a toro. Damn fine cigar once I got into it a little bit. My thinking is either I am missing out on something great or that’s just the way it goes with all cigars. Can’t say it’s a pepper thing, more like harsh at first. I appreciate everyone’s insight.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find cigars settle in after a few draws. Same with pipe tobacco. Might have something to do with the smoke and water vapor helping the tobacco burn cooler. You might try experimenting with taking a couple of draws and putting the cigar down for 5 minutes, then relight it. Works well for pipe tobacco.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭✭✭

After you get it lit try purging. Blow through the cigar and see if that helps.

• Options

Purging is an interesting thought. Blow out the crap I don’t want to taste anyway. And it does seem like there is a point where it goes from bad to good. Maybe those first few draws aren’t as good as the reviews you read say they are? They taste sugarplum fairies and I get tree bark. I dunno. I’m a newbie so...
    Again, muchos gracias on the feedback. You folks are alright.