Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The RobbyRas Very Amateur Review Thread

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I just finished my 3rd Julius Caeser cigar last night and I will jump on the bandwagon and say I really liked it. Wish it was a tad cheaper but a nice medium smoke. The review was pretty much my experience as well.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    by the way you need to change this thread name, not so "amateurish" any longer IMO.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    phobicsquirrel:
    by the way you need to change this thread name, not so "amateurish" any longer IMO.
    Ha! well, we're keepin it old school... thanks for checkin out the site... and yes, the JC is a great smoke... just picked on one of them form the 2012 Charity Box, so I'm looking forward to that vitola.
  • Options
    CatfishBluezz takes a look at a very popular pairing. I this installment he covers the Montecristo White Label, Jameson Red Label and E.P. Carillo Short Run... Click on the image below to see the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Coffee and Conny and Chapter 1

• Options
    Big T smokesBig T smokes Posts: 211
    great reviews and a great site!
  • Options
    Big T smokes:
    great reviews and a great site!
    Thanks big T... appreciate the support!
  • Options
    Joe takes a look at a 6 year old Punch Grand Cru... Ok, so the Punch Grand Cru isn't my cup of tea, but it sounds like it was pretty good after a six year nap...
    Can you guys rest things for that long? I'm too impulsive, so there is almost no chance of that happening

Click on the image below to see the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Punch Grand Cru

• Options
    Enrique S
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So who won that top shelf thing, Rob? I can never seem to make that hour on a Thursday. Had high hopes yesterday; then got involved fighting a web site hacking and couldn't make it. Dang. Hope to replay the recording this weekend if I can squeeze the time. It's getting nuits round here.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    webmost:
    So who won that top shelf thing, Rob? I can never seem to make that hour on a Thursday. Had high hopes yesterday; then got involved fighting a web site hacking and couldn't make it. Dang. Hope to replay the recording this weekend if I can squeeze the time. It's getting nuits round here.

Here's the interview
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uI5MX9sNF8&feature=plcp
  • Options
    ddubridge:
    webmost:

Here's the interview http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uI5MX9sNF8&feature=plcp
    I got caught up in the interview and completely forgot about the top shelf announcement... I'll post the winner today
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    CG:4 looks very maduro, though it claims habano colorado. It's five and a half inches and 48 ring; so a bit skinny looking. Solid construction, beautiful cap, a great feel.

Picked mine out of a Christmas gift, IIRC. It was looking pretty beat up by shipping, so I swapped it out for something else before passing this gift along. Here's what this tired stick looked like:

You can see where the wrapper got badly bruised.

Because it came naked, any aroma in the wrapper or foot had pretty much dissipated. I see a certain amount of discussion about whether to leave the wrapper on or off in the humidor, but, to me, this is a pretty compelling reason to leave the cellophane sleeve on. I often wander round the house for five or ten just sniffing a stick and enjoying the appearance before Bearswatter finally gripes: "Are you gonna light that thing or just play with it?" Not much taste, either. Just a hint of spice.

Once I uncapped her, though, I did get some peaty flavor. Medium draw. Sparked up with one match toasting the foot. Right away I got a big mouthful of meaty peat and cedar with a tangy retro. I went to college in Stockton CA, a town surrounded by drained swamps, hence by peat. When the farmers got to plowing, peat dust filtered in through every crevice, every windowsill had a windrow of it, every auto was lined in it, and you blew peat buggers for a week. That peat, and especially when it caught on fire, it smelt like this stick here. RobbyRas is right in that peat smells something like dark dark bitter chocolate and cinnamon; but it is smokier. The smoke was flavorful but smooth as silk. It clung togerther in dense clouds. Smoked up the garage something fierce. Unlike so many, I don't demand what they call "complexity". If a thing is good, I would rather it stay that way. This did.

Once the burn hit that bruised part, the end blew up. Can't hold that against it. It managed to burn past that and eventually straighten out. But about an hour and a half in, it suddenly turned studgy and extinguished. Maybe I was hitting it too hard, because it tasted like tar had gathered near the head and put an end to it. Too badm because there was still another half hour left, easily.

I gave this four stars out of five. If I were more into maduros, I might have given it another half. A big factor in the high rating was the marvellous stink finger which ensued. A long lingering flavor in my mouth, succeeded hours later by a wonderful stinkfinger. Morning mouth was mild. There was no wheeze. I'd be glad to try another Illusione that wasn't so maduro.

Try this stick. You will not be disillusioned.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    One of my favorites, Eddie Tarazona, joins the show again this week! We'll talk about his new line, Cubanacan Cigars, as well as what we can expect from Tarazona Cigars. Click on the image to post your questions from Eddie. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

CigarChat with Tarazona Cigars

• Options
    Adam takes a look at the new Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. He has some mixed feelings. I was worried that this may turn out to be a bit of a gimmicky smoke... have any of you all tried it? Click on the image below to see the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

AB Black Market Filthy Hooligan Review

• Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Adam takes a look at the new Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. He has some mixed feelings. I was worried that this may turn out to be a bit of a gimmicky smoke... have any of you all tried it?
    Good review ... kind of why I'm hesitant to buy some --- a little too gimmicky IMO, but then again I picked up some supershots so who am I to judge....

PS --- the site's loading lightning fast for me now, thanks for getting that all fixed up and keep up the good work Robby!

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jgibv:
    robbyras:
    Adam takes a look at the new Alec Bradley Black Market Filthy Hooligan. He has some mixed feelings. I was worried that this may turn out to be a bit of a gimmicky smoke... have any of you all tried it?
    Good review ... kind of why I'm hesitant to buy some --- a little too gimmicky IMO, but then again I picked up some supershots so who am I to judge....

PS --- the site's loading lightning fast for me now, thanks for getting that all fixed up and keep up the good work Robby!
    WOOO HOOO! That's what I like to hear... We had some corrupted stuff goin on so I cleaned that up and we'r moving quicker now... glad it's a noticeable difference
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure that Dustin has mentioned that he loves Dominican tobacco... So, you can imagine that the Davidoff 2000 is high on his list. He makes a very interesting comment though. in the review he says, "I think the 2000 may let down the modern palette."

Click on the image below to see the review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Davidoff 2000 Corona Review

• Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    I'm pretty sure that Dustin has mentioned that he loves Dominican tobacco... So, you can imagine that the Davidoff 2000 is high on his list. He makes a very interesting comment though. in the review he says, "I think the 2000 may let down the modern palette."

Davidoff 2000 Corona Review

Good review, and it makes me want to try this cigar. I'm leaning more and more toward Dominican tobaccos over Nicaraguan. Flavor, not power, is my determining factor for a good cigar as I'm starting to settle into what I like and don't like.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Definately give it a shot Martel. I always caution folks on mild complex cigars, as palette burn from smoking stronger stuff on a regular basis may affect how you enjoy cigars. For example, I used to love AJ Fernandez stuff, specifically the full bodied blast they hit you with, same with DPG. Now I only like DPG stuff after they've rested, and am not a fan of much AJ stuff anymore, even though I used to smoke that stuff daily...now I can't lol.
  • Options
    Joe waxes a little poetic in this one, but the experience mirrored mine. I like the way he breaks it down, "Overall, it’s definitely worth a try and, though it looks like it fits into the Epernay family, is a unique experience."

illusione hl Review

• Options
    The Limited Edition CAO Brazilia Carnivale is now available. The blend has a bit more ligero in it, so expect a but more of a kick.

Click on the image below to see the full release. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

CAO Brazilia Carnivale Release

• Options
    Brad Mayo, owner of Jameson Cigars, joins the show today at 5PM PDT / 8PM EST. We'll take all your questions for Brad and we'll be giving away some of the new Resolucion along with some hats and shirts! Click on the image below to post your questions for Brad - there is a link to the show there as well.

Click on the image below to post your questions for Brad. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

Jameson Cigars on CigarChat

• Options
    It's getting to the point where I want to smoke everything Dustin reviews. I'm gonna have to raid his winadore... Another great review on a stick that I have never had, but now want to smoke

Click on the image to read the complete review. Don't worry, it will open in a new window!

2009 Angelenos review

• Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

The Filthy Hooligan is a great smoke. Is there some gimmick to it? OF COURSE all the candelas come out this time of year for the gimmick factor. But it is the best candela I've ever had and I've had quite a few. I enjoy the grassy bitterness of the wrapper.

I would like to critique the review on one small point. Very rarely is a splitting wrapper a construction issue. Usually is a storage issue, over humidification. The construction type split would be either a leaf that already had a tear or hole or would be overstuffed in the section where it was split. If it was overstuffed it would be noticeable in the draw.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

The Filthy Hooligan is a great smoke. Is there some gimmick to it? OF COURSE all the candelas come out this time of year for the gimmick factor. But it is the best candela I've ever had and I've had quite a few. I enjoy the grassy bitterness of the wrapper.

I would like to critique the review on one small point. Very rarely is a splitting wrapper a construction issue. Usually is a storage issue, over humidification. The construction type split would be either a leaf that already had a tear or hole or would be overstuffed in the section where it was split. If it was overstuffed it would be noticeable in the draw.
    Thanks for the feedback on this one... i agree on all points... i do fid it interesting though that the wrapper splitting seems to be exceedingly common with this stick... Personally, I have not smoked one, but I trust Adam's opinion... and I know this stick was purchased and smoked at his B&M
  • Options
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

Thanks for the feedback on this one... i agree on all points... i do fid it interesting though that the wrapper splitting seems to be exceedingly common with this stick... Personally, I have not smoked one, but I trust Adam's opinion... and I know this stick was purchased and smoked at his B&M
    Interesting. I haven't heard anyone complain about it and the regulars at my B&M we've burned through all that my store got. I've had a few, no issues. I don't know the make up of a candela wrapper to be honest but it may be that they are more prone to this. Cameroons are notorious for cracking because they are so thin. Broadleaf have a tendency to unravel because they are so thick.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

Interesting. I haven't heard anyone complain about it and the regulars at my B&M we've burned through all that my store got. I've had a few, no issues. I don't know the make up of a candela wrapper to be honest but it may be that they are more prone to this. Cameroons are notorious for cracking because they are so thin. Broadleaf have a tendency to unravel because they are so thick.
    Candela is a form of augmenting the leaf, such as Maduro etc and can in theory be done to any and all tobacco strains. That said it is extremely hard on them so I am not surprised to hear that they are a bit delicate on this stick depending on who handles it and how across the country etc.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

Candela is a form of augmenting the leaf, such as Maduro etc and can in theory be done to any and all tobacco strains. That said it is extremely hard on them so I am not surprised to hear that they are a bit delicate on this stick depending on who handles it and how across the country etc.
    I found this to be one of the worst tasting sticks I have ever smoked...... will try another one someday but man.... was nasty
  • Options
    perkinkeperkinke Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    90+ Irishman:
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

I found this to be one of the worst tasting sticks I have ever smoked...... will try another one someday but man.... was nasty

I felt the same, but part of this probably was because the dang thing wouldn't stay lit. It came out of the same humi that a different stick had the day before, with the same weather and I had to relight it three times before it even reached half. Tossed it just before the halfway. I have a few left that I will keep and maybe try again in a few months.
  • Options
    90+ Irishman:
    madurofan:
    robbyras:
    madurofan:
    jgibv:
    robbyras:

I understand this. I assume that though it is possible to do to any leaf, like a maduro, typically they would use certain kinds. You wouldn't want to maduroize a Cameroon.

Thanks for the info about it being hard on the leaf. I've never really researched much on candela.