Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

The RobbyRas Very Amateur Review Thread

Comments

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way slick buddy, sounds like a sweet setup :) BTW check your inbox, sent ya something last night.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Tabak Especial Limited Edition Red Eye - Drew Estates
    Wrapper: Maduro
    Vitola: Robusto 4.5 x 54
    Time in Humi: 1 Week - Thanks to pbchevo for the trade!

This is the first infused cigar I have ever smoked. I have my reservations about them which I think is a common view based on some posts I see around here. So to say I went into this smoke with low expectations is fair.

Prelight: The cigar looks great. It has a pigtail on the cap which I thought was a cool touch. The Maduro wrapper has a dark chocolate color and there is a shaggy foot. So yeah, it looks pretty good. It's a stout little stick and the wrapper gives off a lot of sweetness. I used my Xi cutter to snip the cap and I found a pretty good draw. The flavor the cap gave off was cloyingly sweet. It was really almost off putting. The flavor lingered on my lips and it really gave me a bad feeling. I didn't think I was going to even get half way through it.

2011-10-10_19-33-21_927

Beginning: It fired up pretty easily. I actually think I over-toasted it. I don't know why, but I felt like the tobacco was damp and needed more toasting. Obviously it wasn't damp at all, it was just an infusion mind trick I guess. The first few puffs were the toughest. The cap was SO sweet. It was really all I could taste. It wore off after about 10 minutes or so. The flavors were obviously coffee, chocolate and even some cream. It really tasted like a sweet iced coffee drink from your local coffee house. The kind with 500 calories. It was hard to pinpoint much by way of tasting notes in the first inch or so. In fact I almost put it out.

Middle: It really settled down about 20 minutes in. The sweetness wasn't overpowering anymore and there were some additional notes coming across. Toasty nut flavors started to creep in. I even started to get some spice on the retrohale. In short, it started to feel like a cigar. The burn was perfect and never needed any relighting. I kept wanting to touch it up, but it never needed it.

2011-10-10_19-59-14_124

End: This baby is sweet, but don't let that fool you. This was an almost full bodied cigar. It had a kick to it for sure. The flavors didn't really evolve much after the sweetness died away. It did get a little coffee bitterness toward the end, but that's about it. Not very complex, but I think that was a given.

Construction: Like I said before, it's a good looking cigar. The boys over at Drew Estates really know how to construct a good smoke. It had cool touches (pigtail cap and shaggy foot) and the burn was spot on. It was a solid smoke for sure.

Final Thoughts: I liked it. Once it calmed down, it turned into a pretty decent, if not one dimensional smoke. You know what this cigar is. In fact, you probably know what it tastes like, even if you haven't smoked it. The flavor I had in my head before I smoked this was almost exactly what I got. So if you want a nice coffee infused smoke with a kick to it, then get this baby on your list.

Scores:
    Smoke Time: 85 minutes
    Price Point: N/A - I picked this up in a trade so it won't be a factor here, but it looks like they are all over the Sprintsale so price shouldn't be an issue.
    Appearance: 9.5 - This is a very stylish cigar. I should have snapped some pre-cut pics.
    Construction: 9.5 - All the cool little touches and a perfect burn.
    Draw: 9 - The draw was really spot on.
    Flavor: 8.25 - So, we know what we're getting. It's infused, it's sweet, it's coffee. I did enjoy it, but I probably won't buy any. But you never know. If I could get some for a couple bucks, I'd probably bite.

This was my first step into the world of infused cigars. I don't know what to think about the rest of them, but I have a nice sampler resting, so I'll get there someday. It didn't turn me off from infused stuff by any means. And if you do fire one of these up, be sure to take it seriously. It has some kick for sure. Thanks for reading!
  • Options
    Great write up Rob, clean and not long winded. It's a nice change to find a review on sticks that are normally not looked into or dissected. Really interesting and well said brother. -- Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    howtobasshowtobass Posts: 589
    I want to see your next infused cigar trials! I love coffee. I just haven't tried one because everyone says they are really sweet. I'm afraid if I love them (being a new cigar smoker and all), I would not be able to enjoy a non-infused cigar. Needless to say haven't tried one, but looking forward to trying one. I would like to see you try a drew estate - java and see how they compare. Anyways, great review!
  • Options
    How about a little feedback...

What do you guys want to see reviewed next?
    PDR 1878 Cubano Especial Madura
    CAO Soprano
    Fuente WOA Maduro

I'll probably smoke it tonight or tomorrow... If no votes are received, I'll just pick on my own... Or feel free to suggest something...
  • Options
    BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    PDR
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    I vote the soprano
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    PDR!
  • Options
    fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    angelenos
  • Options
    fuentejps:
    angelenos
    HA! I'll do a review for this one on Sunday... I promise!

The reason I laugh is because this fine BORK decided to send a few of these my way to sample...
  • Options
    Maddy ***, so do the Fuente :D
  • Options
    well, since I am about to fire something up, I 'll got with the PDR on the LANDSLIDE victory... review coming tonight or tomorrow...
  • Options
    Check out the review here - PDR 1878 Cubano Especial Madrua Review
  • Options
    Very good review, thanks! Sorry the cigar wasn't great, but hey, that's why I voted for it... so I'd know whether or not to buy some. Now I know. Much appreciated.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Good review as I like this cigar and am always interested in other's thoughts on sticks I enjoy. You are correct though that it is nothing special in terms of flavor changes/complexity. Sometimes, for me, that is perfectly fine. If I want a stogie but don't necessarily have the ability to really sit down and enjoy it I want something like this that is good but not so good I can't enjoy its subtleties. Keep the review coming bra!
  • Options
    pbchevopbchevo Posts: 712
    robbyras:
    Tabak Especial Limited Edition Red Eye - Drew Estates
    Wrapper: Maduro
    Vitola: Robusto 4.5 x 54
    Time in Humi: 1 Week - Thanks to pbchevo for the trade!

This is the first infused cigar I have ever smoked. I have my reservations about them which I think is a common view based on some posts I see around here. So to say I went into this smoke with low expectations is fair.

Prelight: The cigar looks great. It has a pigtail on the cap which I thought was a cool touch. The Maduro wrapper has a dark chocolate color and there is a shaggy foot. So yeah, it looks pretty good. It's a stout little stick and the wrapper gives off a lot of sweetness. I used my Xi cutter to snip the cap and I found a pretty good draw. The flavor the cap gave off was cloyingly sweet. It was really almost off putting. The flavor lingered on my lips and it really gave me a bad feeling. I didn't think I was going to even get half way through it.

2011-10-10_19-33-21_927

Beginning: It fired up pretty easily. I actually think I over-toasted it. I don't know why, but I felt like the tobacco was damp and needed more toasting. Obviously it wasn't damp at all, it was just an infusion mind trick I guess. The first few puffs were the toughest. The cap was SO sweet. It was really all I could taste. It wore off after about 10 minutes or so. The flavors were obviously coffee, chocolate and even some cream. It really tasted like a sweet iced coffee drink from your local coffee house. The kind with 500 calories. It was hard to pinpoint much by way of tasting notes in the first inch or so. In fact I almost put it out.

Middle: It really settled down about 20 minutes in. The sweetness wasn't overpowering anymore and there were some additional notes coming across. Toasty nut flavors started to creep in. I even started to get some spice on the retrohale. In short, it started to feel like a cigar. The burn was perfect and never needed any relighting. I kept wanting to touch it up, but it never needed it.

2011-10-10_19-59-14_124

End: This baby is sweet, but don't let that fool you. This was an almost full bodied cigar. It had a kick to it for sure. The flavors didn't really evolve much after the sweetness died away. It did get a little coffee bitterness toward the end, but that's about it. Not very complex, but I think that was a given.

Construction: Like I said before, it's a good looking cigar. The boys over at Drew Estates really know how to construct a good smoke. It had cool touches (pigtail cap and shaggy foot) and the burn was spot on. It was a solid smoke for sure.

Final Thoughts: I liked it. Once it calmed down, it turned into a pretty decent, if not one dimensional smoke. You know what this cigar is. In fact, you probably know what it tastes like, even if you haven't smoked it. The flavor I had in my head before I smoked this was almost exactly what I got. So if you want a nice coffee infused smoke with a kick to it, then get this baby on your list.

Scores:
    Smoke Time: 85 minutes
    Price Point: N/A - I picked this up in a trade so it won't be a factor here, but it looks like they are all over the Sprintsale so price shouldn't be an issue.
    Appearance: 9.5 - This is a very stylish cigar. I should have snapped some pre-cut pics.
    Construction: 9.5 - All the cool little touches and a perfect burn.
    Draw: 9 - The draw was really spot on.
    Flavor: 8.25 - So, we know what we're getting. It's infused, it's sweet, it's coffee. I did enjoy it, but I probably won't buy any. But you never know. If I could get some for a couple bucks, I'd probably bite.

This was my first step into the world of infused cigars. I don't know what to think about the rest of them, but I have a nice sampler resting, so I'll get there someday. It didn't turn me off from infused stuff by any means. And if you do fire one of these up, be sure to take it seriously. It has some kick for sure. Thanks for reading!
    i didnt know you posted a review on this.... am real glad you liked it man
  • Options
    dowjr1:
    Good review as I like this cigar and am always interested in other's thoughts on sticks I enjoy. You are correct though that it is nothing special in terms of flavor changes/complexity. Sometimes, for me, that is perfectly fine. If I want a stogie but don't necessarily have the ability to really sit down and enjoy it I want something like this that is good but not so good I can't enjoy its subtleties. Keep the review coming bra!
    Agreed... this smoke definitely has its place... It's a great yard gar... smoke one while your doing something else... but it just isn't a "focal point smoke" to me... If I am gonna sit down and enjoy a smoke, I want a little more...

thanks for the feedback! Always appreciated
  • Options
    Hey if you get a chance, review the 1878 Capa Oscuro with the red label. It is my favorite smoke right now. To me the flavor right off the bat just explodes. If you don't have any I will send you one. We've been talking about another swap anyway. :-)
  • Options
    dowjr1:
    Hey if you get a chance, review the 1878 Capa Oscuro with the red label. It is my favorite smoke right now. To me the flavor right off the bat just explodes. If you don't have any I will send you one. We've been talking about another swap anyway. :-)
    Yeah, lets get something going... I can never seem to find the Oscuro in stock anywhere... PM me
  • Options
    PM sent bro.
  • Options
    Check out the review here - La Aurora Preferido Maduro No. 2 Review

• Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Nice review. I saw some of these for sale the other day and pulled the trigger. I've never read a bad review of them. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of a few of these.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Nice review. I saw some of these for sale the other day and pulled the trigger. I've never read a bad review of them. Glad you enjoyed it, I'm looking forward to being the proud owner of a few of these.
    I picked this particular stick up in a pass here on the forums... I've never been tempted to buy them based on price, but I saw them on yesterday's DD, so I figured I'd smoke this one an think about investing... on a deal they are TOTALLY worth it (the DD was 5 Preferidos and 5 Relics for $35, no brainer after smoking this one)

If I see them on another deal anywhere, I'll seriously consider getting another 10-20 sticks
  • Options
    Great review and I am going to have to investigate these for sure. Btw, you really summed up the smoke when you said,"This is really a centerpiece smoke." Says it all. But this profile is one that sounds great so you have my attention! Great review bra!
  • Options
  • Options
    HAHA! Awesome! Man you hit it right on the head with the review. I also thought the Madura was good but the Oscuro is certainly the superior blend. I am a sucker for that nice flavor and great burn. I always think about how this stogie (and vitola in particular) has such a solid feel in the hand. Even though not the most complex of the sticks I smoke, it is overall still my favorite. For sure you can catch these on sale and find a good deal for under $5 per stick. Glad you liked it buddy!
  • Options
    Let me know what you want to see reviewed tomorrow...

Liga Privada Undercrown
    Warlock
    Alec Bradley American Classic
    Ashton Aged Maduro
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:

Liga Privada Undercrown
    Warlock
    Ashton Aged Maduro
    Ashton Aged Maduro
  • Options
    robbyras:

Liga Privada Undercrown
    Warlock
    Ashton Aged Maduro
    UNDERCROWN!
  • Options
    robbyras:

Liga Privada Undercrown
    Warlock
    Ashton Aged Maduro

Ashton Aged Maduro.... oh and Rob, great reviews buddy, you are really doing a great job giving a very rounded and balanced picture of what each cigar is, what it does, and what is strong and weak about each one... love it brother keep up the great work! -- Brett