Home General Discussion
Options

Show off your Humi set-up

Comments

• Options
    DPIStormDPIStorm Posts: 2
    @VegasFrank I used 2 of the 84% Boveda packs.  It got up to about 75% humidity over a 14 day period (I did open it a couple of times just to move the packs and hygro around a bit). 

I figure it's good enough to put my sticks in with some 69% bovedas and monitor at least :)  I wasn't sure if it should have got all the way to 84% or not but I figured it's good enough. 

With the 69% in for 2 days now the humidor is holding around 66% which i'm ok with.  I'm assuming some is leaking out the glass but as long as i'm above 65 i'm good. 
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,710 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me too.  
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't.... squeeze...in....one...more.... Rothschild....
    Time for an overflow cooler
  • Options
    Don't you ^^^ even start with me!
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I heard that blue lights have an adverse effect on cigars. 
  • Options
    jd50ae said:
    I heard that blue lights have an adverse effect on cigars. 
    Thanks for the tip. All fixed.
    That was close
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When in doubt go red.
  • Options
    Like a pro ^
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,762 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Noice!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So you guys had said come here for advice when I finally decide to go big. Well...my coworker's brother is selling a 3000 count tower and looking for some advice. He's had it for a while, but no big damage or anything. Pretty much in like-new condition.

I wouldn't normally be taking this plunge so soon if the price offered wasn't decent (asking $600). Appears to be a $1,000 cabinet brand new. Open to thoughts on the value. I'd be looking to upgrade the humidification system as well. TIA!
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Looks goods Mark, just going to go ahead and say congratulations because I have a feeling you’re getting it.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it's not refrigerated it seems a little high.

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

How long can you wait to make up your mind? How motivated is the seller?

I say sleep on it.

What's the pros of having this tower? Why do you want it? Does it make sense for your finances to plunk down the cash? Is it an emotion-based purchase? I wanted one of those in the worst way at one time, and now a few years down the road I'm happy I didn't pursue it (not saying that'll be the case with you). What do you stand to gain vs. how you store cigars now?

If you decide you want it, think about low-balling the seller with something like a $400 offer. You'll find out how badly he wants to sell and maybe get a better deal. If nothing else, it'll give you some more time to think it through.

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Thanks, Nick! Yeah I'm 99% sure I'm gonna spring for it. Then comes the expensive part - filling it up!

Definitely not refrigerated, other Nick lol...imma work on the price a little.

Frank, appreciate the advice and thanks for sharing the photos as well. Wasn't privy to that humidification system. Definitely dig those strip lights and plan to do something similar.
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    Nah, buy that damn thing!
    Don't look ↑
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

I have pretty much the same tower.

Get a good hydrometer, the one on the unit is crap and really no way to calibrate it, cause the morons glued it in. And if you break it, it is a royal pain in the a$$ to seal it up.

The tilted shelves on the top 3 shelves suck. I hate them, If I can figure out a way to get the glue to come loose and make them level, I'm going to. The drawers end up being a catch all. Not sure why they even included them. I suppose a guy could use them for accessories, but pretty soon, you have a ton of stuff in them and can't find anything.

I have 2 digital hygrometers, one on the second to the bottom shelf and one on the second one from the top. Cause the humidity will vary. If you are in a dry climate, think about getting a fan that will plug into the humidifier. Mine has a port for the fans.

It doesn't seal well. Nothing you will do will help it, unless you are willing to do quite a bit of work fitting weatherstripping. The magnetic strip on the door works adequate.

Not a terrible price, but if you look online, you will find better units for that price, in my opinion.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Markwell Get the price down, if he's asking $600 thats not what he'll take trust me. Bring a couple 100's, work him lol

If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • Options
    Really like that table humidor setup, Ricky. You definitely "got a few" lol.

This isn't something I absolutely need right now. The opportunity presented itself and I've a few days to think it over as he has taken it off ebay pending my decision. Still running the large coolerdor with room to spare. Probably about 500 sticks in there.

Thought it'd make a nice conversation piece/extra furniture addition to my first place. More that than a need honestly. Still mulling it over in my subconscious of needs vs. wants. Definitely appreciate all the feedback from you fellas.
  • Options
    Far_North_64Far_North_64 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys are killing me. I need/want a tower to free up floor space in the Far North Cigar Lounge but just not available in Alaska. Nobody will ship one here. Anybody plan on driving a truck to Alaska soon?

Now this is not the end of the cigar. It is not even the beginning of the end of the cigar. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning of the cigar.