Home General Discussion
Options

Breaking Cigar News

Comments

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,446 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I know, AJ, so the suck factor could be through the roof.

Post edited by peter4jc on
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only if it's an underground structure.

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't know ccom and jr were in bed together:

https://www.cigaraficionado.com/article/imperial-completes-1-44-billion-sale-of-premium-cigar-business

Some of the premium cigar industry’s most prized assets officially have new owners. Today, Imperial Brands PLC completed the sale of its premium cigar business to an investment consortium for 1.225 billion euros ($1.44 billion). The sale includes a vast array of cigar brands, factories and companies: 50 percent of Cuba’s Habanos S.A.; Tabacalera USA, the company that makes and markets such non-Cuban cigar brands as Montecristo, Romeo y Julieta and H. Upmann; a pair of cigar factories, including one that’s considered the world’s largest; and JR Cigars, one of the world’s biggest cigar retail chains. It’s one of the biggest sales the cigar industry has ever seen.

It’s also complex, and was split into two transactions. The U.S. division was acquired by a company named Gemstone Investment Holding Ltd., which bought Tabacalera USA, its assets Altadis USA, which is responsible for the distribution of premium cigars in the United States, online retailers JR Cigar, Serious Cigars and Cigars.com, plus the Casa de Montecristo retail chain.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see this stuff by investment groups all the time in manufacturing. First thing they did was split off the Cuban side, that clearly is what they wanted. To resale or keep isn’t clear yet. The rest will be consolidated over the next year or so to appear more profitable and eventually sold off.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

thanks for the correction, Shawn. I've got to pay better attention to what I read.

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Everytime I see it, it's followed by a cheapening of the targeted product, to make it more profitable.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@d_blades said:
    Everytime I see it, it's followed by a cheapening of the targeted product, to make it more profitable.

Yes, 2-3 facilities will become one. Processes will be streamlined which results in jobs lost. That’s how investment groups work.

I worked at a place that did all of this. A Chinese investment group bought us, split off the desirable brand and sold it 6 months later and recouped 2/3 of their investment. They consolidated the remaining plants by moving production lines and shutdown 3/4 of the remaining plants and sold us off a year later. It was terrible under them we couldn’t even get office supplies because they wouldn’t spend the money or pay outstanding bills.

• Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭✭✭

Makes me wonder if this is why we are seeing so many deals for unbranded cigars lately. Seems to be a lot more than normal out there, especially at the page place. Usually, it's a few offerings here and there with minimal options. There are a plethora of options currently and multitude of unbanded blends. Consolidations have been known to create these kinds of buying opportunities since stuff is sometimes right in the middle of the pipeline when deals are made.

• Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

must have been a killer cigar

• Options

That dude was trying to get stopped

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 16,721 ✭✭✭✭✭

The funniest part was the cigar was half smoked lol!

Don't look ↑
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

This could be bad news for cigars and worse news for pipers aiming to increase the federal excise taxes by 16X for pipe tobacco.

https://halfwheel.com/senate-bill-would-dramatically-increase-taxes-on-cigars-other-tobacco-products/391903/

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    TheKrakenTheKraken Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    This could be bad news for cigars and worse news for pipers aiming to increase the federal excise taxes by 16X for pipe tobacco.

https://halfwheel.com/senate-bill-would-dramatically-increase-taxes-on-cigars-other-tobacco-products/391903/

Stock those 5th and 6th coolers now boys

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

@Yakster said:

Damn! 16x the tax on Ding Dongs and Little Debbie cakes would make more sense, and save more lives.

I don't know about y'all, but I've NEVER ONCE in 65 years of life seen a pregnant woman smoking any kind of cigar or pipe. I've seen 'em smoke cigarettes like a drunk frat-boy, but never pipe tobacco or cigars.

Thieves in high places.

I need to find a prescription for Fuckemall.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I hear this legislation has little chance of passing, even if modified. Hope so.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    I hear this legislation has little chance of passing, even if modified. Hope so.

Educated source or forum chatter?

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

A mix of both, I believe. PSD

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,202 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    A mix of both, I believe. PSD

Either way, fingers crossed...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

The people need to make them too scared to pass anything.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    edited June 2021

DAVIDOFF ANNOUNCES 17 EXCLUSIVE EDITIONS FOR 2021

We should start a pool to see how many of the 17 Toro releases @Patrickbrick picks up by the end of the year. :D

• Options
    edited October 2021

Apparently back in January, STG formed a new company and split up the General Cigar portfolio between General Cigar and the new company Forged Cigar, each with their own salesforce.

https://halfwheel.com/stg-divides-its-cigars-portfolio-launches-the-forged-cigar-co/386218/

The Forged’s portfolio will include:

• Bolivar Cofradia*
    • Chillin’ Moose
    • Diesel
    • La Gloria Cubana*
    • Partagas*

General’s portfolio will now include:

• CAO
    • Cohiba*
    • Hoyo de Monterrey*
    • Macanudo
    • Punch*
    • Other Brands

*Notes that this only includes the U.S. distribution rights for these brands, which are separate from the Cuban versions of these cigars.

In addition, the company said that the Forged Cigar Co. could also serve as a distributor for other, third-party brands that are not owned by General Cigar Co.

• Options
    edited January 2022

DREW ESTATE DISCONTINUES MUWAT, LARUTAN & LOUNGE EXCLUSIVES, MAKES FSG EXCLUSIVE TO CORONA CIGAR CO

MUWAT Kentucky Fire Cured, a completely different blend, will remain in the production and continue to be a part of the company’s portfolio.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭✭✭

KFC sells that well?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.