Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Gardens

Comments

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

Can anyone tell me what this is? It has popped up in the area of my yard I allow to grow without hindrance, for the pollinators.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    Can anyone tell me what this is? It has popped up in the area of my yard I allow to grow without hindrance, for the pollinators.

Is it showing any kind of seed pods or anything yet? My guess would be sumac.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

if any of your neighbors have one of these it is a golden rain tree seedling, but it looks rather tender. I guess wait and see how it flowers.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hemlock?

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

I don't think so, the leaves are different

hemlock

sumac

• Options
    edited June 2023

I think it might be a Tiger Eyes Sumac.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    if any of your neighbors have one of these it is a golden rain tree seedling, but it looks rather tender. I guess wait and see how it flowers.

I would love to have one of these in my yard. They are beautiful and look as though they are a good fit size-wise.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,110 ✭✭✭✭✭

Might also want to look at staghorn sumac

• Options

Looks like it, @Hobbes86 I didn't think so since all I have seen are the smooth leafed varieties (learn something new every day), but here are pics of cutleaf and lace leafed varieties and the stems do look sumac-y

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/563301865871202770/

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/782359766502608280/

• Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭

@First_Warrior said:

Another wild azalea

I see those all over Tennessee. Now I know what they are.
    Thanks!

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭✭✭

Transplanted lettuce and radicchio this AM. Chard and sugar snaps are doing well. Tomatoes are taking off as are winter and summer squash. Getting a lot of green onions and radishes. Will pull garlic today. Supposed to get some needed rain this week.

• Options

Cabbage root fly got my bok choi. Pulled all the plants for a large stir fry tonight.

• Options

@Hobbes86 said:
    My morning harvest: spinach leaves, radishes and radish greens, and turnip greens.

Correction, those are beets, not radishes. I'm not sure how I made that mistake.

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,804 ✭✭✭✭✭

Went heavy on peppers this year.
    Jalapeño, Shishito, a sweet hot (all the Tag said), havasu, habanero, and ghost peppers.

Couple varieties of tomatoes but they never do well for me. My daughter planted some leafy lettuce, sunflowers, mint, and some other flowers.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:
    My attempts to keep those darned squirrels out of my planters. I used scrap fencing I had lying around.

22 cal pellet gun works well

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Garlic was a dismal failure this year, both the fall planted and the spring planted ones. Most just produced a single round clove (bulb) rather than a foot. Maybe the very deep freeze we had last winter?

• Options

I thought this was the most suitable place for this.

My son and I noticed a leaf cutter bee taking a cutting into its burrow a few weeks ago. I have since seen a couple more. It appears this is a popular plant for them to cut from.