Comments

• Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    Did you get my PM Tony?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    Duder2:
    Did you get my PM Tony?
    Ah, I did. Sorry I have not called. We had Thanksgiving with some friends this weekend and I was busy cleaning and preparing. I will give you a call tonight.
  • Options
    Coolio
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Coolio
    Hey, man, so you may be aware of our little blizzard last night. Don't think I want to be driving in these conditions right now. Things should be back to normal by this Friday. You free then?
  • Options
    Yup, shouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    Bump for Tony...
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Bump for Tony...
    Thanks, man. I will get to Stick A tomorrow. Been busy with work and school. Sorry for the delay.
  • Options
    Alright, smoked Stick A over the weekend. I might have an idea of what it is. I will be posting my review and guess later tonight when I can see my notes.
  • Options
    Stick A was a 5x52 robusto with a nice chocolate wrapper. I noted 1-2 medium sized veins, but otherwise the wrapper was smooth and seamless. Giving it a quick squeeze, the cigar was firm and spongy. A triple cap finished off a very well constructed cigar.

The wrapper smelled cedary and there was a good bit of spice at the foot. Cutting the cap, the draw was loose on the side of medium and I got flavors of that reminded me berries along with a coat of spice on the back of my throat.

The cigar lit easily and I was hit with strong notes of wood and cedar, along with a bit of spice. The spice died down after half an inch or so and the cedar and wood continued for the duration of the smoke with spots where a sweetness revealed itself. The cigar had a nice straight burn, developing 1.5" ashes before I tapped it.

This cigar reminded me strongly of a Pepin blend. The wood and spice really hit the spot on a crisp autumn night. The size seems a bit off, but I am going to guess a Tatuaje Havana VI. Thanks, Duder, for gifting me with a good smoke. I shall get to Stick B either tomorrow or Wednesday.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Stick A was a 5x52 robusto with a nice chocolate wrapper. I noted 1-2 medium sized veins, but otherwise the wrapper was smooth and seamless. Giving it a quick squeeze, the cigar was firm and spongy. A triple cap finished off a very well constructed cigar.

The wrapper smelled cedary and there was a good bit of spice at the foot. Cutting the cap, the draw was loose on the side of medium and I got flavors of that reminded me berries along with a coat of spice on the back of my throat.

The cigar lit easily and I was hit with strong notes of wood and cedar, along with a bit of spice. The spice died down after half an inch or so and the cedar and wood continued for the duration of the smoke with spots where a sweetness revealed itself. The cigar had a nice straight burn, developing 1.5" ashes before I tapped it.

This cigar reminded me strongly of a Pepin blend. The wood and spice really hit the spot on a crisp autumn night. The size seems a bit off, but I am going to guess a Tatuaje Havana VI. Thanks, Duder, for gifting me with a good smoke. I shall get to Stick B either tomorrow or Wednesday.
    Dang Tony, your good! It is a Pepin blend, but not a Tat. Stick A was a La Aroma De Cuba DPG blend, 5x54.
  • Options
    Duder2:
    sightunseen:

Dang Tony, your good! It is a Pepin blend, but not a Tat. Stick A was a La Aroma De Cuba DPG blend, 5x54.
    So close! Thanks again. Now that I think about it, La Aroma De Cuba makes sense, especially since I've had them before.
  • Options
    Smoked Stick B on this windy evening. The stick was a 5x50 robusto that felt pretty light in hand. The cigar was draped in a rich chocolate wrapper that showed a bit of oil. The wrapper was smooth with only one noticeable vein. A double cap finished off the very handsome looking stick. The cigar felt moderately spongy when I squeezed it. The aroma from the wrapper was earthy and barnyard. The foot gave off similar aromas.

Pre-light, the cigar had a medium-loose draw, which gave wonderful flavors of tobacco. The cigar lit easily and each puff produced generous amounts of smoke. Flavors of wood hit the palate, which was rounded off with a pleasant coating of spice. I would label the combination of flavors as crisp. Each draw ended in a nice leathery finish. During the course of the smoke, I noticed a bit of the leather working its way into the initial draw. Construction was good, with straight burns and no need for any touch-ups.

I got pretty excited after the first half inch or so because I had a really good idea of what I was smoking (hopefully my guess will be correct). The spicy/woody flavors is one of my favorite flavor profiles on a cigar. Like Stick A, this was a great complement to the autumn weather. On to my guess...which is a Ccom Sungrown. Crossing my fingers on this. Thanks again, Duder, for the great smoke.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Smoked Stick B on this windy evening. The stick was a 5x50 robusto that felt pretty light in hand. The cigar was draped in a rich chocolate wrapper that showed a bit of oil. The wrapper was smooth with only one noticeable vein. A double cap finished off the very handsome looking stick. The cigar felt moderately spongy when I squeezed it. The aroma from the wrapper was earthy and barnyard. The foot gave off similar aromas.

Pre-light, the cigar had a medium-loose draw, which gave wonderful flavors of tobacco. The cigar lit easily and each puff produced generous amounts of smoke. Flavors of wood hit the palate, which was rounded off with a pleasant coating of spice. I would label the combination of flavors as crisp. Each draw ended in a nice leathery finish. During the course of the smoke, I noticed a bit of the leather working its way into the initial draw. Construction was good, with straight burns and no need for any touch-ups.

I got pretty excited after the first half inch or so because I had a really good idea of what I was smoking (hopefully my guess will be correct). The spicy/woody flavors is one of my favorite flavor profiles on a cigar. Like Stick A, this was a great complement to the autumn weather. On to my guess...which is a Ccom Sungrown. Crossing my fingers on this. Thanks again, Duder, for the great smoke.
    Nailed it! Ccom Sungrown. Tony is the man!
  • Options
    Any progress Tony?
  • Options
    Duder2:
    Any progress Tony?
    Yep. Finished Stick C and here is my review:

Stick C is a 5.5" x 50 robusto that had a "dusty" looking chocolate wrapper. The wrapper was slightly mottled, which gave it an earthy appearance. A quick squeeze revealed a mostly medium-firm character, with a couple of soft spots along the body and at the foot. The aroma off the wrapper was a nice earthy tobacco with a dash of spice. At the foot, the aroma spicy and reminded me of coffee. The stick was finished off with a double cap.

The cap cut easily, and the pre-light draw was medium-firm and earthy. Lighting up, my tastebuds were hit with a rich combination of leather and coco. If I didn't know it before, I am enjoying a very tasty maduro. I did not get a lot of complexity from this stick, but that is not a complaint by any means. The flavors were quite rich and my palate had a great time enjoying the the leather/cocoa combo. Coffee also made its appearance, adding to the already delicious combination of flavors.

The cigar tasted really familiar to me, but I can't quite put a name to it, so I'm going to say 5 Vegas Series A. Thanks Duder for the great smoke.

Now.........who's next??
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Duder2:
    Any progress Tony?

Stick C is a 5.5" x 50 robusto that had a "dusty" looking chocolate wrapper. The wrapper was slightly mottled, which gave it an earthy appearance. A quick squeeze revealed a mostly medium-firm character, with a couple of soft spots along the body and at the foot. The aroma off the wrapper was a nice earthy tobacco with a dash of spice. At the foot, the aroma spicy and reminded me of coffee. The stick was finished off with a double cap.

The cap cut easily, and the pre-light draw was medium-firm and earthy. Lighting up, my tastebuds were hit with a rich combination of leather and coco. If I didn't know it before, I am enjoying a very tasty maduro. I did not get a lot of complexity from this stick, but that is not a complaint by any means. The flavors were quite rich and my palate had a great time enjoying the the leather/cocoa combo. Coffee also made its appearance, adding to the already delicious combination of flavors.

The cigar tasted really familiar to me, but I can't quite put a name to it, so I'm going to say 5 Vegas Series A. Thanks Duder for the great smoke.

Now.........who's next??
    This one was a Gurkha Cuban Legacy. I liked the first one I tried a long time ago and got a great deal on a box recently. Haven't regretted it a bit, in fact I'm almost half way through the box and I haven't had them long. It's really nice to find a cheap but totally enjoyable smoke! Glad you liked it Tony!

Now who's gonna be Tony's mystery mooch?
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I've been saying for weeks that I'll go next if we can't find anyone else...screw that! I GOT NEXT!!!!
  • Options
    Duder2:
    sightunseen:
    Duder2:
    Any progress Tony?

Now.........who's next??
    This one was a Gurkha Cuban Legacy. I liked the first one I tried a long time ago and got a great deal on a box recently. Haven't regretted it a bit, in fact I'm almost half way through the box and I haven't had them long. It's really nice to find a cheap but totally enjoyable smoke! Glad you liked it Tony!

Now who's gonna be Tony's mystery mooch?
    I've never had the Cuban Legacy before and I must say that was a good smoke. I may have to invest in a box, especially considering the price.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    I've been saying for weeks that I'll go next if we can't find anyone else...screw that! I GOT NEXT!!!!
    Hell yea. I got your addy so I will send a package your way. I won't be home until Wednesday night so the earliest I can ship is Thursday.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    robbyras:
    Hell yea. I got your addy so I will send a package your way. I won't be home until Wednesday night so the earliest I can ship is Thursday.
    SWEEEEEEEEEET! no rush...
  • Options
    I need to pay more attention to this thread, I want in again!
  • Options
    Hey, Rob, managed to get the package out today. DC #0309 1830 0001 7794 3818.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    Sweet! Gadwin, you're on deck
  • Options
    robbyras:
    sightunseen:
    Love it buddy, thanks! Lemme know when you're ready for an address
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    robbyras:
    sightunseen:
    Love it buddy, thanks! Lemme know when you're ready for an address
    Just go ahead and PM me the info now... I'll send them out to you when i send out my Secret Santa stuff...
  • Options
    Got the sticks today Tony... thanks so much!
    Photobucket

2 fantastic throw ins... La Riqueza and a Dirty Rat!!!!

watch your back!!!

so yeah, I'll try to get to A and B this weekend... and I'll hit up C after a nice meal, per Tony's warning...
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Got the sticks today Tony... thanks so much!
    Photobucket

2 fantastic throw ins... La Riqueza and a Dirty Rat!!!!

watch your back!!!

so yeah, I'll try to get to A and B this weekend... and I'll hit up C after a nice meal, per Tony's warning...
    I'm very excited for you to try the sticks. Enjoy the extras!
  • Options
    OK... Sick A

It's a Robusto, about 5x50... nice medium tan wrapper... I'm guessing Habano or Sumatra... good construction... Used a punch cutter and the pre-light draw is perfect with some sweet cedary notes...

The flavor was mild for the first inch or so... some woody cedar notes but not much else... there was a slow build up of pepper for the first 1.5 inches or so, then the flavors seemed to peak... the next 2 inches were the best part of the smoke... nice and thick smoke with a few sweet and almost citrusy notes...

all in all it was a somewhat light smoke... something that would serve well as an morning/afternoon smoke...It seemed familiar and I'm pretty sure it's something I have had before... the first sticks that came to mind were the 5 Vegas Classic and maybe AB Harvest... But as I continued smoking I decided that it really reminded me of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet... I've had a few of them and have varying degrees of enjoyment... this smoke fell right into the middle of that spectrum... not a bad smoke by any means... but nothing that is going to blow you away either...

So the Cuban Cabinet is my guess...which I'm sure is WAAAAAY off, but you never know...

I'm planing of smoking B later today, but the best laid plans....
  • Options
    robbyras:
    OK... Sick A

It's a Robusto, about 5x50... nice medium tan wrapper... I'm guessing Habano or Sumatra... good construction... Used a punch cutter and the pre-light draw is perfect with some sweet cedary notes...

The flavor was mild for the first inch or so... some woody cedar notes but not much else... there was a slow build up of pepper for the first 1.5 inches or so, then the flavors seemed to peak... the next 2 inches were the best part of the smoke... nice and thick smoke with a few sweet and almost citrusy notes...

all in all it was a somewhat light smoke... something that would serve well as an morning/afternoon smoke...It seemed familiar and I'm pretty sure it's something I have had before... the first sticks that came to mind were the 5 Vegas Classic and maybe AB Harvest... But as I continued smoking I decided that it really reminded me of Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet... I've had a few of them and have varying degrees of enjoyment... this smoke fell right into the middle of that spectrum... not a bad smoke by any means... but nothing that is going to blow you away either...

So the Cuban Cabinet is my guess...which I'm sure is WAAAAAY off, but you never know...

I'm planing of smoking B later today, but the best laid plans....
    Thanks for the review. Stick A was the Cusano Corojo '97. Other members of the forum have said that this is the perfect autumn smoke, and I agree. I love the combination of sweetness, spice, and cedar.

Glad you enjoyed the stick, looking forward to your next guess.
  • Options
    that makes the first Cusano stick I have ever smoked... I probably won't get to B until tomorrow