Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I haven't done this in almost a year. I was a total noob when Hays hooked me up the first time. I see Gadwin wants in, so I'll try to get in after him. It'll be interesting to see if my palette has improved any since last year.......
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Stick B:

It's a robusto... about 5x50... Light Tan warpper... smooth with no veins... looks like a connie or camaroon... has a sweet peppery smell pre-light... used a punch and the prelight draw is really peppery and a little tight... it really is a pretty cigar... smooth wrapper, no veins, clean cap... now to light her up!!

What a nice smoke! I fired her up and after the first half inch I knew i was in for a good smoke... so I grabbed a diet A&W root beer (rapidly becoming my favorite drink with a smoke) and my book and got comfortable...

to my surprise, there was little pepper... t had a peppy smell prelight, but there was little pepper flavor... it was calm and sweet at first...with a razor sharp burn... I had to relight a few times, but that was my fault (I'm still mastering the art of reading a good book and smoking a good cigar!)... the smoke got thicker as we went along and a leathery flavor began to dominate... it got real nice around 1 inch in... it had a punch to it also... I could feel a little buzz form the tobacco... nothing overpowering...

As I got in the home stretch it began to burn a little hot... I had to baby it a little to keep the bitterness at bay, but it was never a problem...

after smoking, I am sure it wasn't a connie wrapper... more like a camaroon fro sure... with all that being said, my guess is Cohiba Red Dot...

am I close?
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    Stick B:

It's a robusto... about 5x50... Light Tan warpper... smooth with no veins... looks like a connie or camaroon... has a sweet peppery smell pre-light... used a punch and the prelight draw is really peppery and a little tight... it really is a pretty cigar... smooth wrapper, no veins, clean cap... now to light her up!!

What a nice smoke! I fired her up and after the first half inch I knew i was in for a good smoke... so I grabbed a diet A&W root beer (rapidly becoming my favorite drink with a smoke) and my book and got comfortable...

to my surprise, there was little pepper... t had a peppy smell prelight, but there was little pepper flavor... it was calm and sweet at first...with a razor sharp burn... I had to relight a few times, but that was my fault (I'm still mastering the art of reading a good book and smoking a good cigar!)... the smoke got thicker as we went along and a leathery flavor began to dominate... it got real nice around 1 inch in... it had a punch to it also... I could feel a little buzz form the tobacco... nothing overpowering...

As I got in the home stretch it began to burn a little hot... I had to baby it a little to keep the bitterness at bay, but it was never a problem...

after smoking, I am sure it wasn't a connie wrapper... more like a camaroon fro sure... with all that being said, my guess is Cohiba Red Dot...

am I close?
    Very glad you enjoyed it. I actually have not had this smoke, so your review of it is very encouraging. Unfortunately, it was not the Cohiba Red Dot. The stick was a 601 Black, which has the connecticut wrapper. Pretty cool that it was a bit peppery, which seems to run counter to most connies.
  • Options
    sightunseen:
    robbyras:
    Stick B:

am I close?
    Very glad you enjoyed it. I actually have not had this smoke, so your review of it is very encouraging. Unfortunately, it was not the Cohiba Red Dot. The stick was a 601 Black, which has the connecticut wrapper. Pretty cool that it was a bit peppery, which seems to run counter to most connies.
    Nice! I have never had the 601 black before... it was really enjoyable... stronger than most connies... the pepper was more noticeable in the pre-light smell of the wrapper... not so much in the smoke... but it really felt bigger than most connies I have had...
  • Options
    Just a heads up, I probably won't get to C until after the Holiday... and I haven't send sticks to the next player yet so this is in a bit of a holding pattern... sorry for the delay and Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    Sounds good. Merry Christmas to you.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Just a heads up, I probably won't get to C until after the Holiday... and I haven't send sticks to the next player yet so this is in a bit of a holding pattern... sorry for the delay and Happy Holidays!
    I got to tell you, I'm so happy to hear this. I have had the most gnarly past week (Including going to bed around 4am the last 4 nights from drinking, haha)

Robby, I'll be sending you a list of sticks for trade tomorrow!
  • Options
    ok... wooo hoooo!!! STICK C:

She's a toro size, about 6.5 x 50... nice dark wrapper... looks maduro or maybe a dark sumatra... pre light she smells big... that sweet tobacco smell with a little pepper on the nose...the cap even tastes sweet...

used a punch...pre light draw is perfect... with lost of chocolate and almost a cherry cordial flavor... maybe too much Christmas thoughts are in my head...

about a half inch in and man... this is a beauty! it's big, but not bulky... lots of flavor and pepper and some strong tobacco, but really well balanced so far... cracked open my go to smoking drink, diet A&W Root beer, and the paring is quite nice

an inch or so in now and she is really showing her colors... it feels like a Brazilia but SOOOOO much better... I will be buying this cigar and in bulk if possible... loving it...

ok... wow, that was a great smoke... the flavors were bold to say the least... but it never got out of control... it had a nice kick, but never too much... I don't really know where to go with a guess... Partagas Black... maybe LGC Serie N?

i'm all over the map... but my guess is Tempus Maduro
  • Options
    robbyras:
    ok... wooo hoooo!!! STICK C:

She's a toro size, about 6.5 x 50... nice dark wrapper... looks maduro or maybe a dark sumatra... pre light she smells big... that sweet tobacco smell with a little pepper on the nose...the cap even tastes sweet...

used a punch...pre light draw is perfect... with lost of chocolate and almost a cherry cordial flavor... maybe too much Christmas thoughts are in my head...

about a half inch in and man... this is a beauty! it's big, but not bulky... lots of flavor and pepper and some strong tobacco, but really well balanced so far... cracked open my go to smoking drink, diet A&W Root beer, and the paring is quite nice

an inch or so in now and she is really showing her colors... it feels like a Brazilia but SOOOOO much better... I will be buying this cigar and in bulk if possible... loving it...

ok... wow, that was a great smoke... the flavors were bold to say the least... but it never got out of control... it had a nice kick, but never too much... I don't really know where to go with a guess... Partagas Black... maybe LGC Serie N?

i'm all over the map... but my guess is Tempus Maduro
    Ah, so glad you liked Stick C, which was an El Cobre. I'm going to have to smoke another one to see if I get that cherry flavor. Great news, they do sell those in very affordable bundles.
  • Options
    ha... I actually have one sitting in one of my humi's... awesome... it was a great some man... the cherry flavor was more chocolate than cherry and it was purely pre-light... more of a tobacco flavor but it reminded me of some cherry cordial M&M's I had the other day... which are amazing btw...

I love this game... everytime I get exposed to some new smokes that I love!
  • Options
    lilwing88:
    I haven't done this in almost a year. I was a total noob when Hays hooked me up the first time. I see Gadwin wants in, so I'll try to get in after him. It'll be interesting to see if my palette has improved any since last year.......
    Hey Lilwing, Robby sent me the next wave of sticks yesterday, so toss me an address anytime here and when I'm down to Stick C I'll send you out some as the next person in line!
  • Options
    I received Robby's package today, and wednesday happens to be the night that my cigar club meets down at a local cigar bar, so I took Cigar A with me.

It's a robusto cigar, darker brown color. It'd guess the wrapper is Natural or Habano. Maybe some kind of dark conneticut shade. It didn't smell like a whole lot more than a light tobacco taste. A pretty stereotypical "cigar" smell. The foot was a bit cedary.

The cigar was incredibly consistant, so I wont bore with the changes throughout the cigar, because there really weren't any. From first light the cigar was a bit harsh and was a strong tobacco taste with a hint of cedar.
    All in all it wasn't really my kind of cigar, the tobacco taste in the smoke was the prominent flavor which tends to make me feel more like i'm smoking a cigarette than a cigar (and I haven't smoked a cigarette for over 4 years)

My initial guess was a macanudo, except the taste was too strong for one... So I'm more inclined to guess a Fonseca!

More exactly I think it's a regular Fonseca, Not the serie F or anything... just the Fonseca... So... Robby... What is it??
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    I received Robby's package today, and wednesday happens to be the night that my cigar club meets down at a local cigar bar, so I took Cigar A with me.

It's a robusto cigar, darker brown color. It'd guess the wrapper is Natural or Habano. Maybe some kind of dark conneticut shade. It didn't smell like a whole lot more than a light tobacco taste. A pretty stereotypical "cigar" smell. The foot was a bit cedary.

The cigar was incredibly consistant, so I wont bore with the changes throughout the cigar, because there really weren't any. From first light the cigar was a bit harsh and was a strong tobacco taste with a hint of cedar.
    All in all it wasn't really my kind of cigar, the tobacco taste in the smoke was the prominent flavor which tends to make me feel more like i'm smoking a cigarette than a cigar (and I haven't smoked a cigarette for over 4 years)

My initial guess was a macanudo, except the taste was too strong for one... So I'm more inclined to guess a Fonseca!

More exactly I think it's a regular Fonseca, Not the serie F or anything... just the Fonseca... So... Robby... What is it??
    That sucks... I'm sorry you didn't like it... but I know the flavor you are taking about... that's what I get from Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet and the Ccom Cuban Label...

I was loking forward to your review of Stick A because I haven't smoked one yet... thought I have a few resting...
    It was a Padilla Signature 1948 so you were right about the Habano wrapper... I think B and C will probably be more to your liking...
  • Options
    It wasn't particularly a bad stick - I smoked it all the way to my fingers so I by no means "didn't like it" but it wasn't quite my flavor profile. And Boo to it being a Padilla! I was so sure about the Fonseca guess, lol! Though I don't believe I've had a 1948 before.

I'll actually be headed to the cigar bar here in a little bit and I think I'll take down stick B with me and see if I am up to having that one :-)
  • Options
    Okay, Smoked Stick B today!

It was pretty awesome... It was a fairly dark brown wrapper, Not Maduro dark but looked like a Habano. Was a Torpedo. After smoking it I think it's a Corojo or a Sumatran though. It drew slightly tight but gave off ample amounts of smoke, like, this thing was a chimney! The smoke was very light and I was reading while I was smoking and for a while it was blowing right up into my face but I didn't mind cause it was a little sweet and not very strong.
    The taste was creamy and a little sweet which is why I think it was a corojo or sumatran. I wouldn't say it was cedary but it was slightly woody, and had very small hints of nut, maybe hazelnut or something. It burned perfectly with no touchups and very creamy. I thoroughly enjoyed this smoke. Probably a Mild-Medium Body with a Medium Flavor profile.

As for a guess, it's a little hard... but I'm going to guess a 5 Vegas Classic???
  • Options
    oh man you were close... it as a habano wrapper and it was a 5 Vegas Miami... glad you liked it
  • Options
    A Miami! I wouldn't have thought. I didn't get anything peppery from it like you normally would from a DPG. Ah well, I was pretty close! I probably wont get to Stick C for a few more days, Whenever Lilwing hits me with his address I'll send out the next wave of mystery sticks!
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    Haven't forgot about this but the only time this week I've had the opp to smoke stick C was wednesday and I wasn't feeling very well and didn't want to smoke it with an upset tummy... that wouldn't have ended well! However, I did get out my mystery package to lilwing yesterday. I went a little overboard and sent him 5 mystery sticks - cause I enjoy this game too much! lol
  • Options
    GadwinDuil:
    Haven't forgot about this but the only time this week I've had the opp to smoke stick C was wednesday and I wasn't feeling very well and didn't want to smoke it with an upset tummy... that wouldn't have ended well! However, I did get out my mystery package to lilwing yesterday. I went a little overboard and sent him 5 mystery sticks - cause I enjoy this game too much! lol
    no worries... i was just bumping this in the wake of our spamming bot friend...
  • Options
    Got the 5er 'o mystery sticks. I'll wait till Gadwin gets to his C review before I start...... This may take a while. It's damn cold here in Chi-town so, five reviews might take longer than usual. I'll try my best to do 'em all as fast as I can.
  • Options
    Okay, Stick C has been smoked!

It was pretty fantastic, really really dark wrapper. Either a dark maduro or an oscuro. I didn't get any maduro taste from it on prelight or after light so I'm guessing it's an oscuro!

It was pretty full bodied, and also full flavored. The strongest flavor all throughout was bitter chocolate. I really enjoyed this cigar and smoke was a bit heavy but smelled great.

I'm guessing it is a CAO Brazilia!
  • Options
    I'm glad you enjoyed it... I picked up a fiver of these a few months ago and this was the first one to be smoked... Based on your feedback, I should like them... It was a Cohiba Black
  • Options
    Oh no way? Cohiba black, eh? Yeah - It was a pretty tasty stick. Really chocolately. I'm going to go look up that cigar now O.O lol
  • Options
    Here's my first review of five for the sticks I got from Gadwin:

Stick A.

This is a 5 x 50 stick with a light brown wrapper. Decent construction. Wrapper has a slightly sweet, aged tobacco smell. No problems cutting and toasting. First draws are nice. Smooth flavors. Lots of cream and cedar. A little sweet on the finish. Very mild, so far. Burn is even through first inch. Ash holds on nicely.

Not a whole lot going on, flavor-wise. But very smooth and mild. This would be a nice morning smoke. Would par very well with a cup of coffee or espresso. It has some pipe tobacco flavors. The sweetness and cream have picked up at the have way point. Getting some hints of vanilla. Burn is still even and ash holds on an inch and a half at a time.

Getting into the second half with more of the same. Still pretty sweet with a slight bitterness on the finish. Strength has moved up to medium. Some pepper taste hitting the back of my tongue. The wrapper has come undone a bit, but shouldn't be a problem.

This cigar finishes up nicely with no problems, whatsoever. Flavors got a little bland towards the end. All in all, a decent mild-medium sweet tasting smoke. I had a hard coming up with a guess since I don't smoke too many mild cigars, but I'll guess Oliva Connie.
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I'm gonna have to get in on this sometime, I think it's one of the few games I haven't done yet
  • Options
    Stick A was a CAO gold! I had a thought that milds are a bit hard to guess cause not a whole lot of people are mild smokers, but that's the fun of this game!
  • Options
    Awww man! I honestly was thinking CAO the whole time! Then last minute I changed my mind! So frickin close. Well, if I were a mild smoker, I'd smoke these. It was good.
  • Options
    Stick B

This is a 6 x 50 box pressed toro with a med brown wrapper. Very good construction. No visible veins or seams. It cuts nicely and draw is perfect. First few puffs are nice. Lots of cedar and spice. Some bitterness on the finish. Smoke output is decent. Burn is even. So far, so good.

Strength is med-full. Flavors are pretty typical, nothing standing out. Cedar, spice, leather with bitter after tastes. Burn and ash are pretty consistent through the halfway point. No problems.

In the second half, the bitterness really takes over. There's still some nice spice to it. Overall, a pretty one dimensional smoke. I'm gonna guess 5 Vegas Cask Strength.