Mystery Stick Game

Comments

• Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    lcpleel:
    BigT06:
    STICK C:

cold's kicking my ass worse than on Monday... but I wanna smoke! Here goes...

appearance: good looking stick. A few viens, but nothing to write home about. Milk chocolate brown in color with the texture of quality leather.
    construction: definitely a premium cigar, has a perfect feel to it. Cap is off-color, but perfectly applied. Looks like a 5x52
    draw: perfect
    burn: awesome. Close to perfect. Can't say enough about the draw and burn on this one.

taste: this is where it gets tricky...

the first inch had me convinced this was a DPG cigar. Tons of spice on the retrohale, solid earthy core with some subtle but delicious nuances. But towards the middle, here's where it threw me... that DPG sweetness that ALWAYS creeps into the back of the sinus when you retrohale his cigars didn't kick in... some sweetness did finally pick up, but it wasn't that DPG character.

so that's when I started to question myself... this cigar is familliar... but I can't put my finger on it. And then I start to think of how he threw me with the last one... AGE. Nothing about this cigar tastes "fresh or young", but it has enough body to make me think this is a full bodied cigar fresh, and its a solid med-full now. And who does full bodied cigars with these characteristics (and who I am familliar with)? DPG and/or AJ... but neither of them use this 5x52 vitola very often... so now I'm over thinking it, and this damn cold is becoming a real issue (blowing my nose every 2 to 3 mins)... at this point, I hate you Isaac. j/k lmao

I will say this about the taste: it's good. I am enjoying the heck out of it.

ANSWER: in all honesty, this is going to be a guess. I could prob narrow it down to 5 and then go from there with a couple hints, but with one shot at it... it's definitely a guess... and for the record, Isaac, you did a great job of bringing this close enough to home to make it confusing!

DPG Black ...I know I'm wrong here, because of the vitola, but I am going to stick with my palates instincts and say that's the closest fit I can think of.

Marker, yours fly today. Isaac, great job, and thanks for the awesome smokes.

Todd honestly?? I dont even remember what a DPG Black taste like... lol but I really was thinking of changing this stick out because you talked about it for such a long time.
    Stick C is a Tatuaje Havana VI Nobles

hope you enjoyed atleast 2 of the sticks. lol Great Job on the review of the stick even when your sick.
    ha! I thought it was the wrong vitola to be a nobles... oh well. lol

funny, my eyes were the only part of me NOT struggling... and they were the part that failed. lmao

like I said, you brought it so close to home that I second guessed myself. Great job. I truly enjoyed A and C! B sucked balls though... LMAO

the reason for B was because I remember seeing someone wanting to trade some off recently and come on now who really didn't think that was the *** when they first smoked an arturo fuente without knowing. Taking it back old school.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Note to self. I am going to horribly lose this game.
  • Options
    Ok, I have had all 3 of the cigars that BigT06 sent me. These are my guesses.

Cigar A - CCom. sungrown
    The first light was harsh and I was not sure about even finishing it. After smoking about an inch past the foot it became better.

Cigar B - AB Presnado second.
    Light was good and the cigar became sweet and light almost right away. It stayed light and enjoyable until about the last 2 inches where the cigar became very spongy and unsmokeable.

Cigar C - My Father.
    Typical my father spice with some sweetness. Great burn and better construction. Held on to the dear end and enjoyed the whole thing.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Close, but no cigar. Lol

stick A: Gran Habano 3SLS. Totally agree it gets better after the first inch.

stick B: 1989 Rosado

stick C: Ave Maria. I totally see where your head's at as far as general feel, but I think the main difference is in the amount of each thing that really separates the 2. MF is typically more spicy, where the AM has more sweetness and less body, but with a little more leather, for me.

stick good job on the guesses. Who's next?
  • Options
    Robby is next. Sending his out soon.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    nice work guys... T, those are some nice sticks you sent! I've always been curious about the 89...

Looks like I'm up... I know Maker is sending my mysterys along with a trade we made, so they should be here soon... I'm sick right now so couldn't smoke anything anyway... I'll probably get started on Monday or Tuesday... Mephisto is on deck, so I'll get some stuff together for him... after that it's open... so feel free to jump in line!
  • Options
    Stick A almost made me quit smoking. The first inch was so bad I had to squint to take a draw. Might want to cut those on both ends to smoke them.

Stick B was enjoyable but why did it have to turn into jello the last two inches? What a joke. I was in no way rushing it either. They need some better QC on those. Of course, they don't cost much.

Stick C was a nice relaxing cigar that I didn't have to pound my brain on. It was similar in taste to a my father and I didn't retrohale it much. It was my 4th cigar of the night :)
  • Options
    BigT. Luckily I have never smoked a 1998 rosado or GH SLS. Now I can say I have and don't need to get more.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Marker:
    BigT. Luckily I have never smoked a 1998 rosado or GH SLS. Now I can say I have and don't need to get more.
    ==>Those must come in mazos? ;)
  • Options
    The mystery sticks are on their way to me so I'll get this going again in a few days!
  • Options
    ok... so I finally got a chance to smoke Stick A today It's a torp and it's about 5.5 x 56... I initally thought it was a Maduro wrapper based on color, but after smoking it, I believe it to be a Habano wrapper... 2011-12-28_14-58-48_464

I was hit with pepper and earthy notes right off the bat... some big chewy flavors... The pepper subsided at times throughout, but was always present... Leather and a mild sweetness were the main flavors...

it smoked really well, though I had a few phone calls that I had to take so the burn suffered... other than that it was a really solid smoke

right off the bat I had a guess and the flavor profile seemed to support my guess...

so I'm going to say this was a Diesel Unlimited dx, but not from the batch that I sent over as part of our trade... this one seemed to have a younger flavor and didn't have that bitterness that I got the last time I smoked one...

am I even close?
  • Options
    When I did it BigT had me post all 3 before he would say yes or no. Would you rather we go stick by stick?
  • Options
    Marker:
    When I did it BigT had me post all 3 before he would say yes or no. Would you rather we go stick by stick?
    entirely up to you... i'll have B and C done by this weekend, but I'll post them as the are done...
  • Options
    Stick A is a Nica Libre Potencia. You hit the wrapper. Surprised at the bitterness. Never had them do that to me and I have over half a box.
  • Options
    Marker:
    Stick A is a Nica Libre Potencia. You hit the wrapper. Surprised at the bitterness. Never had them do that to me and I have over half a box.
    oh, i think I had a typo, I was commenting that the bitterness was NOT there... i was comparing it to the Diesel Unlimited I had a few weeks back... they were very similar to me but this wasn't bitter...

this is exactly why I love this game! I had no intention of ever smoking the Potencia, but I really liked it! man, I might have to grab some of those... it was a nice big smoke! Thanks for including it!
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    robbyras:
    Marker:
    oh, i think I had a typo, I was commenting that the bitterness was NOT there... i was comparing it to the Diesel Unlimited I had a few weeks back... they were very similar to me but this wasn't bitter...

this is exactly why I love this game! I had no intention of ever smoking the Potencia, but I really liked it! man, I might have to grab some of those... it was a nice big smoke! Thanks for including it!
    They are essentially an Oliva V, very nice smoke for $2 and under
  • Options
    The other two cigars you will get a nice kick out of. Glad you liked it. That was my intention.
  • Options
    Keeping this on the main page if I can. Robby has too many cigars to smoke and not enough time :)
  • Options
    Marker:
    Keeping this on the main page if I can. Robby has too many cigars to smoke and not enough time :)
    ha... it's so nice outside too... I just can't get away from the computer!
  • Options
    oh man... I brought this thread back only to kill it again?

I WILL smoke stick B today and get my stick out to the next in line... sorry for being a slappy!
  • Options
    robbyras:

I WILL smoke stick B today and get my stick out to the next in line... sorry for being a slappy!
    Less creeping Pete Johnson, more smoking cigars.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
    Marker:
    robbyras:

hahaha
  • Options
    Marker:
    robbyras:

well we are now on a first name basis... he probably thinks I'm a stalker, but oh well... win some lose some...
  • Options
    Less live chats about cigars, more smoking cigars.
  • Options
    Marker:
    seriously... I've only had one this week... UGH... the weather isn't helping... ok I will, smoke B tomorrow and C this weekend! and I will finally get the next batch out... my bad... sorry guys!
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    Marker:
    seriously... I've only had one this week... UGH... the weather isn't helping... ok I will, smoke B tomorrow and C this weekend! and I will finally get the next batch out... my bad... sorry guys!
    didint know this was still going on. lol
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    robbyras:
    Marker:
    didint know this was still going on. lol
    YEp, I dug this game up on page 25 or so, only to kill it again... awesome!
  • Options
    Can you believe I FINALLY smoked B? I think I know this one... but I always think I know...

The stick itself was a corona 5.5x46 and I believe it was a maduro wrapper... I may as well be specific and say it was Mexican San Andreas Maduro...

There were some draw issues, but the flavors were so good that I didn't really care... Lots of Maduro sweetness, big earthy notes combined with a little leather and some nutty flavors... It had SOOO much flavor! I really enjoyed it...

so here is my official guess: La Reloba Seleccion Mexico! Am I even close?

2012-02-02_18-05-48_734
  • Options
    La Reloba Sumatra.
  • Options
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!