Home Pipes
Options

What did you get today?

Comments

• Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Got some awesome smelling maduro tobacco from Joe today. Can't wait to fire it up!
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    Got some awesome smelling maduro tobacco from Joe today. Can't wait to fire it up!
    lol same here! might fire a bowl up tonight kinda undecided, worst case tomorrow afternoon after work, damn it smells so good
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Hope you guys enjoy it. McClelland isn't really my cup of tea, I find their tobaccos to be very bitey, though I don't hear the same from others.
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    just got my order in from Justforhim.com of their specielty blends. Coyote Classic, Dark Navy Flake, British Windjammer, Ruins of Isengard and a few others. opened the package and it smells like a fire pit and bbq sauce just gang banged my nostrils. delicious latakia!!!
  • Options
    AugustWestAugustWest Posts: 62
    Just got a tin of Esoterica Dunbar and a tin of SPC Mississippi River. Gonna crack 'em and let them sit for bit before smoking. Also found about half an ounce of JM Boswell's Northwoods in my English stash. This might be my favorite English out there.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Gota can of From Morton, Frog Morton on the Bayou, and two tins of Hamborger Beermaster
  • Options
    I got 1/2 lb of FVF yesterday, my buddy Jason and I split up a 1 lb box. This is going in a jar, getting dated, and then I'm hiding it from myself.
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I gotta buy jars this weekend
  • Options
    HaybletHayblet Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    I got 1/2 lb of FVF yesterday, my buddy Jason and I split up a 1 lb box. This is going in a jar, getting dated, and then I'm hiding it from myself.
    good lord man lol insanity 8oz (even if it was that Black Maple) would last me a year+ if not longer
  • Options
    Hayblet:
    j0z3r:
    good lord man lol insanity 8oz (even if it was that Black Maple) would last me a year+ if not longer
    That's in addition to the almost 8 oz I have jarred from earlier this year. If this ages as good as I have heard, I want to have a good amount that's aged, not just a little. Also, the thing about FVF is you gotta get while the gettin's good...once the supply dries up you just don't know when you'll see it again.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I got a couple of amazing smelling blends from Marker today. I have no clue what they are, as they were a total surprise, but they smell great! Huge thanks, brother!
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    Direwolf:
    My bacco order came in today
    That Davidoff English looks amazing! Just started getting into English blends a few months back and I'm really enjoying them. I need another English pipe.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    I got my self a cheap little pipe today, a tool and a house blend called blueberry muffin. I am fortunate to have a B&M that specializes in pipe tobacco. Like 60 house blends specialized.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    My first two pipes, my first aromatic and my first regular smoke, my first screens, first filters...... eh, you get the point... Now how do I light this thing???

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Lasabar:
    My first two pipes, my first aromatic and my first regular smoke, my first screens, first filters...... eh, you get the point... Now how do I light this thing???

Damn, that's a beautiful Nording pipe; love the mix of rusticated parts with smooth.

As for smoke screens, assuming you're putting the tobacco in that bowl and not some stuff from your backyard you shouldn't really need it, lol

Pack the tobacco into the bowl, keep the draw a bit loose. Light the top while puffing to char it, tamp it down, then relight until you get it going. If it goes out, just tamp (maybe dump the ash if it gets thick), and relight. Make sure to smoke that Nording to the bottom, either packing only a small amount or smoking the full bowl - gotta make sure you build up a proper cake on the bottom
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Lane 1-Q does have a vanilla flavoring as well. It was one of my first smokes too, I hope you enjoy it. It was not really my thing but lots of people love it.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    Lane 1-Q does have a vanilla flavoring as well. It was one of my first smokes too, I hope you enjoy it. It was not really my thing but lots of people love it.
    Does it affect the pipe like normal aromatics? I asked the guy for a bag of aromatic and a bag of regular... He gave me the 1-Q for regular.
    I smoked a full bowl of the cherry in the corn cob and then a half bowl of the 1-Q in the corncob. I know not to put aromatics in any pipe that you don't want tainted with the aromatics... Still haven't touched the Nording yet
  • Options
    xmacro:
    Lasabar:

Damn, that's a beautiful Nording pipe; love the mix of rusticated parts with smooth.

As for smoke screens, assuming you're putting the tobacco in that bowl and not some stuff from your backyard you shouldn't really need it, lol

Pack the tobacco into the bowl, keep the draw a bit loose. Light the top while puffing to char it, tamp it down, then relight until you get it going. If it goes out, just tamp (maybe dump the ash if it gets thick), and relight. Make sure to smoke that Nording to the bottom, either packing only a small amount or smoking the full bowl - gotta make sure you build up a proper cake on the bottom
    What does the cake do?
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    J.S.:
    Does it affect the pipe like normal aromatics? I asked the guy for a bag of aromatic and a bag of regular... He gave me the 1-Q for regular.
    I smoked a full bowl of the cherry in the corn cob and then a half bowl of the 1-Q in the corncob. I know not to put aromatics in any pipe that you don't want tainted with the aromatics... Still haven't touched the Nording yet

I think the answer is a little different for everyone. For me, yes the vanilla flavor would be enough to ghost but others will say it smokes out after a few bowels. For me, I could not taste tobacco just vanilla and just barely at that. I would say this is more a light aromatic but that is just my opinion. That said, I personally, if I were going to smoke it again would smoke it out of a pipe dedicated to an aromatic.
  • Options
    Lasabar:
    xmacro:
    Lasabar:

What does the cake do?

Cake (Carbon build up) on the sides of the bowl will keep the briar protected. My guess is your Nording came with a pre-carbon coating on it (it is already black inside). If that is the case you are good to go smoke and enjoy. If it is unfinished wood, then you need to start with about half a bowl and smoke slowly to get that carbon going. Smoking to the bottom is always a good idea as it is the hardest place to get cake going. Cake should be as even as possible from the top to the bottom.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    A few pipe buddies and I did some trades. The pipe in the picture has an amazing grain. The picture doesn't do it justice because of the light staining but it really shows it off in person. A few pits showed up in the pipe as the guy was doing his last sanding. A pity (noted) but the pipe could smoke a bowl of jelly and turn it to a fine white ash.

• Options
    Some good tobacco their! The pipe looks good. Some pits will not hurt the smoke just the aesthetic value but I think it adds charm. It looks like a good grain from the pic too.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First pipe on the way! I ordered some stuff today, I will have to post when it comes in. A butz-choquin rocbrune bent billiard, 3 different frog mortons, and cleaners and tamper/tool
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Did a trade with Stad for his CAO Meerschaum Dragon Claw pipe... I'm a pipe noob, but I thought this pipe was too awesome to pass up... and in true Ccom form, he sent a bit more than was expected... thanks again Stad!

IMG_20121004_084851.
    IMG_20121004_085148.
  • Options
    stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    robbyras:
    Did a trade with Stad for his CAO Meerschaum Dragon Claw pipe... I'm a pipe noob, but I thought this pipe was too awesome to pass up... and in true Ccom form, he sent a bit more than was expected... thanks again Stad!

IMG_20121004_084851.
    IMG_20121004_085148.
    Your welcome!! I hope this pipe holds years of enjoyment for you. Welcome to the pipe!!
  • Options
    stad:
    robbyras:

IMG_20121004_084851.
    IMG_20121004_085148.
    Your welcome!! I hope this pipe holds years of enjoyment for you. Welcome to the pipe!!
    Looks awesome! Post some pics when it starts to get some color! I seriously cant wait to get my pipe in.
  • Options
    I got this yesterday, along with some frog Morton that I think smells just like beef jerky.
    image image
    I think its a pre-carbonized bowl. Dunno if that's good or bad image
    one with the flash, it looks a lot brighter. More like a prune in normal light. image. I'm happy with it and can't wait to try!
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks nice, I like that size
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Got some of the LE 2012 Halloween Blend "Darkness Descends" from Uhle's... smells like french vanilla and caramel... can't wait to fire some up!

IMG_20121009_112621.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    Got some of the LE 2012 Halloween Blend "Darkness Descends" from Uhle's... smells like french vanilla and caramel... can't wait to fire some up!

IMG_20121009_112621.
    I had never heard of uhles, so I looked em up and all their blends sound delicious...I need to try an aromatic or 2 from them, I've never had one.