Home Pipes
Options

What did you get today?

Comments

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been super busy. Now I have a cold so smoking on hold. I had a custom pipe made for my birthday. I picked the design and stem color. Wasn't expensive like you would think. Much to be said for these guys that make pipes compared to factory pipes. Don't get me wrong I love my Petersons and Savinellis but this pipe here will always be my favorite. So much so I am having another made by him. He is gabespipes on Instagram and he has a dot com too. Check him out. Look at this bad boy. Yes that is pink in my stem. @onestrangeone I forget the name of the bulldog but I will look when I get home I actually have a question about the two pipes. One has a stinger and it screws in. 
  • Options
    I also got this on a trade. Middle pipe is red and is a tiny Peterson. So awesome my wife says it is hers. The top is a BC and I forget the bottom one. They are all cleaned up and ready. Brother hit me with all those samplers too. Very kind but I done smoke non aro so not sure what I am going to do with them. 
  • Options
    johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    edited May 2016
    Well I couldn't resist and got another. Kind of hard to see but it is tree bark rustication and it is a great piece. This is a Series 1 and I put it next to my Series 2 so you can see the size difference. He also does a slanted version of either one. 
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks great Jake
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jsnake said:
    Well I couldn't resist and got another. Kind of hard to see but it is tree bark rustication and it is a great piece. This is a Series 1 and I put it next to my Series 2 so you can see the size difference. He also does a slanted version of either one. 

Dammmmn!
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The type 2 looked massive enough. I want to see a picture of you smoking the type 1 ;)
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    This is the Series 2 and the Series 1 is bigger. Smoke the Series 1 today but didn't take a pic.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished my first you make it pipe from a brair blank. I wanted a big pipe so I left the bowl tall. Should take almost an hour to smoke this pipe out.  I used alcohol based dye and wax over that because i want the wood to breathe. Now comes the breaking in part. I filled the bowl 1/3 and smoked that, next comes 1/2 and 2/3 and up to the top. I'm going to order   a couple of more blanks because i want a bulldog. Also going to create some sort of texture after final sanding on the next one. I've got a sand blaster but it's to big for small work. Maybe a dremel tool. imageimage
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work!
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Great work,that is a beautiful pipe 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finished my first you make it pipe from a brair blank. I wanted a big pipe so I left the bowl tall. Should take almost an hour to smoke this pipe out.  I used alcohol based dye and wax over that because i want the wood to breathe. Now comes the breaking in part. I filled the bowl 1/3 and smoked that, next comes 1/2 and 2/3 and up to the top. I'm going to order   a couple of more blanks because i want a bulldog. Also going to create some sort of texture after final sanding on the next one. I've got a sand blaster but it's to big for small work. Maybe a dremel tool. imageimage
    Damn, Rodger! THAT is awesome. 

Looking forward to seeing your bulldog
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work, looking forward to seeing how your bulldog turns out; I've read that it is a challenging shape to carve.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words guys.  The hardest  thing in working this small is finding a way to hold the work so both hands can be used to carve. 
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    vice and a towel?
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jam the bowl on to a dowel (but not too tight, don't want to crack it) for a handle? 
  • Options
    I used a dowel, a vise with leather jaw cushions, and a freezer bag 2/3 filled with sand and flat on a bench to pad the bowl during final sanding. Part of the fun is figuring out how to translate what is in my head to the work on the bench. 
  • Options
     I think it turned out quite nicely, how's it smoke? I have thought about getting on of the blanks and seeing what I can do as well.
  • Options
    Smokes great. The blank comes with the bowl good sized and deep. The stem is also fitted nicely. Everything lined up good.I used a half bent blank. Got two more hb blanks and I'm looking at picts of Bulldogs. 
  • Options
    I want to get a lathe and some tools and start tinkering with some blocks. It just seems like a fun hobby. Been watching videos on pipe making. Heading to the KC Pipe show in June and hoping to meet a few local pipe makers that I can learn from. @First_Warrior that looks great. Would love to have a pipe that I made myself. One day soon 
  • Options
    I used nothing but hand tools to shape the pipe. Small saws, cabinet rasps in different sizes, and rattail files. If I was going to start with just a rough block and drill my own chamber and stem I would use my drill press and drill press vise instead of a lathe. I did use a lathe last week to bore a 3/16 hole 16" through a stick of end grain cherry for a NA ceremonial pipe. 
  • Options
    MikeToddMikeTodd Posts: 974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got a sampler in the mail from @onestrangeone . Can't wait to try these out!!

• Options
    i have been wanting a small pipe for a 10 to 15 min burn. I carved one yesterday.image
  • Options
    i have been wanting a small pipe for a 10 to 15 min burn. I carved one yesterday.image
    Great looking pipe, it looks like your getting your form down. What are you using for stain and finish? 
  • Options
    eklektos44eklektos44 Posts: 145 ✭✭✭
     Very nice job! Should serve you well! B)
    "Many a true word hath been spoken in jest"
                                                                  King Lear
  • Options
    That's a beauty 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • Options
    Great looking pipe, it looks like your getting your form down. What are you using for stain and finish? 
    I'm using a alcohol base aniline die for color and a hard wax on a buffing wheel for a finish because I want the wood to breathe.  I have a pryographic unit and several pens so I used that for the pattern and the line around the  bowl. The small guy is great for a little bowl of strong dark tobacco.
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @First_Warrior, Rodger once again I am amazed by the quality of your work that is so cool man! Thanks for sharing and wow what a gift you have!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."