Home Pipes

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• YaksterYakster Posts: 27,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

The HH Pure Virginia Flake is the winner today, nice long, sweet smoke.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    edited May 2022

I hope you enjoyed it, Rusty. Burley codger blend. This is my second smoke of the GL Pease Windjammer blend, in a Year of the Ox Michael Morgason cob. It's going better than the first smoke, but I'm still not sure what I think of this blend. I lit it last night but put it down when the dinner bell rang moments later so this is a DGT (Delayed Gratification Technique) smoke, for what that's worth.

• StubbleStubble Posts: 8,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

WCC Old Dominion in a J. Everett.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?

No. 7 Broken Flake in a Radice.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster , a question. That Macedonian, is that like Basma? Or may Izmir? Or something completely different. I don't think I've run across it before, to my knowledge.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

It's from Prelip, a town in Macedonia, not sure if it tastes like Izmir or Basma, I got it in a trade as broken whole leaf pretty dried out and I smoked it in a small clay pipe but it wasn't very strong. I'm hoping that the moisture from the blend helps balance it out and brings something interesting out of it, maybe a bit of sourness and spiciness.

Here's a blurb from TrueLeaf Tobacco: "During smoking, this tobacco is medium in strength with a full and very sweet taste with an intensive aroma. Prilep P66-9/7 is an excellent tobacco for blending in cigarettes, Little is needed to impart its delicious sweetness and aroma to a blend."

• Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

You stoved it after you pressed it? What temp did you go to?

Stoved it while in the press. Oven's lowest temp is 170, so I cracked the door about 8 inches and left it in there for around 45 minutes. Don't know if that was long enough, but it sure made getting the plug out of the press more difficult. I need to read up on stoving temps and times...just did this on a whim.

Some people leave tins in their car or on their dashboard to stove the tobacco. I haven't tried stoving yet.

edited May 2022

I recently read about some experimenting with pressing and stoving. On each experiment he did he got better results by stoving the tobacco before pressing it. He also had trouble getting it out of the press if he didn’t stove first. He said he had a lot of “goo” make things difficult.
    I’ll see if I can find the article

I microwave the tobacco before pressing to heat it up a bit and then I heat the press up each day before I turn the screw to apply more pressure to the press. I haven't had any "goo", but I also haven't added any toppings like maple syrup or anything like that to the tobacco I'm pressing.

Isn’t heating the tobacco stoving?

I'm only heating it up for a few minutes before increasing pressure to help compress the tobacco. I believe that stoving is holding the tobacco at temperature for a longer period of time.