Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    Today I was bad and smoked when I was not supposed to. Smoked some smokey mountain.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Just picked up a tin of McClelland Grand Orientals--Yenidje Supreme. It's supposed to be really tasty for a nice sweet Oriental blend. Anyone ever try any of these?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Just picked up a tin of McClelland Grand Orientals--Yenidje Supreme. It's supposed to be really tasty for a nice sweet Oriental blend. Anyone ever try any of these?
    Sounds good, I like a lot of McClleland tobaccos.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I have not tried this blend yet. I have tried and enjoyed the Drama Reserve. It would be worth a try too. I hope to get back around to some of the McClelland Orientals again at some point.
  • Options
    Smoking a lot of SG's Brown Rope #4. I love this stuff! I think all cigar smokers, after they get the pipe cadence down should try it. Strong, full but not harsh. Pipe tobacco strength is relative but if you can handle med. full and full cigars you should have no problem with the nick hit from this stuff.
  • Options
    Finally got a chance to light this one up; McClelland Grand Orientals--Yenidje Supreme. I highly suggest it!
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Smoking a lot of SG's Brown Rope #4. I love this stuff! I think all cigar smokers, after they get the pipe cadence down should try it. Strong, full but not harsh. Pipe tobacco strength is relative but if you can handle med. full and full cigars you should have no problem with the nick hit from this stuff.
    How do you pack a rope? I have an SG rope and i still haven't figured it out.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Cut it thinly then cube cut or pack in a coin like Escudo. Kind of like what you'd do with a plug. I like cutting off a slice then cube cutting that slice. I find that works the best for me at least.
  • Options
    slamb@cigar.com:
    Cut it thinly then cube cut or pack in a coin like Escudo. Kind of like what you'd do with a plug. I like cutting off a slice then cube cutting that slice. I find that works the best for me at least.
    I have some disks cut, I will try cube cutting those, thanks!
  • Options
    try both ways, see what works best for you. There's no wrong way to do it.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I have some disks cut, I will try cube cutting those, thanks!

Okay I have to ask, what is cube cutting? I picture cutting of a slice and squaring it up? I haven't tried any of the rope yet, I do have some plug's, I have been tearing off a chunk and separating it kind of layer by layer if there is a better way I would like to know how to get the best/most flavor out of it.
  • Options
    Sort of like it sounds. Cutting a flake into little bits that end up looking like cubes kinda. The rope is a little different, but I pretty much did the same. Cut of a disk of tobacco then cut that into small chunks.
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    I have tried it several ways. What works best for me is getting one of my old cigar cutters (we all have them laying around, right?) and cut off as thin as I can get. Something like G&H's shag (it is really more of the thin ribbon and not a proper shag). Then I simply unroll the coins leaving more of a thin ribbon than cutting it into cube or crimp style. Then I pack it like normal. I do let it dry just a little about 10-15 min. but no more. If it feels crisp it will burn hot and you don't want #4 hot. It should feel dry but not crisp and it will smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl with only a couple of relights.
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Sort of like it sounds. Cutting a flake into little bits that end up looking like cubes kinda. The rope is a little different, but I pretty much did the same. Cut of a disk of tobacco then cut that into small chunks.
    Tried this with some Gaslight and PS Bullseye. I had really good results with the Gaslight, a more intense flavor, burned cooler, no gurgling, a definite improvement over my tear and shred method. Didn't work as well with the Bullseye, wouldn't stay lit, burned wet, I'm thinking I probably overloaded the bowl. I didn't really pack it just sprinkled it in till full, tapped it a couple times and evened it out, but it was almost twice as much as when I rub it out.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    I have tried it several ways. What works best for me is getting one of my old cigar cutters (we all have them laying around, right?) and cut off as thin as I can get. Something like G&H's shag (it is really more of the thin ribbon and not a proper shag). Then I simply unroll the coins leaving more of a thin ribbon than cutting it into cube or crimp style. Then I pack it like normal. I do let it dry just a little about 10-15 min. but no more. If it feels crisp it will burn hot and you don't want #4 hot. It should feel dry but not crisp and it will smoke all the way to the bottom of the bowl with only a couple of relights.
    Cigar cutter! Smart move. Thanks J.S.
  • Options
    onestrangeone:
    Gray4lines:
    Tried this with some Gaslight and PS Bullseye. I had really good results with the Gaslight, a more intense flavor, burned cooler, no gurgling, a definite improvement over my tear and shred method. Didn't work as well with the Bullseye, wouldn't stay lit, burned wet, I'm thinking I probably overloaded the bowl. I didn't really pack it just sprinkled it in till full, tapped it a couple times and evened it out, but it was almost twice as much as when I rub it out.
    I like the PS bullseye a lot. I normally just kinda fold those into the bowl and rub out some ribbon to get it lit. Im still not great at packing so it'**** or miss. With a cube cut though, or any flake, it's important to pack a little loose. Those little chunks will expand as they burn and a good draw can easily get too tight, not to mention a flake packed to tight will burn (not burn) forever.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Just finished a bowl of Balkan from sasieni... Not bad very smooth but on the mild side for me
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    onestrangeone:
    Gray4lines:
    I like the PS bullseye a lot. I normally just kinda fold those into the bowl and rub out some ribbon to get it lit. Im still not great at packing so it'**** or miss. With a cube cut though, or any flake, it's important to pack a little loose. Those little chunks will expand as they burn and a good draw can easily get too tight, not to mention a flake packed to tight will burn (not burn) forever.
    Yes, cubes should really just be gravity filled and a little room left at the top for expansion. I have good luck cubing flakes, although I really prefer simply rubbing them out. The coins, just like the rope seem to work best when allowed to be ribbon. I basically just gently rub out the coins, unless they are dry enough to pull apart into short ribbon sections, which works well too.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Just finished a bowl of Balkan from sasieni... Not bad very smooth but on the mild side for me
    Agreed. A nice tasting mild-med. bodied blend. Good if you want to smoke all day but not really my thing as I never have that kind of time.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buddy is sending me a sample of Esoterica Penzance and Stonehaven. I have searched years.... seriously like 5 years for a small bag of Stonehaven with zero luck. Everytime anyone gets any in it gets sold out in 10 minutes. So now I finally get to see what the hype is all about. Will let you guys know later this week.
  • Options
    Had a bowl of Leo today...it was pretty good! Nice pepper and a small sweetness to the taste
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Frog Morton Bayou - My favorite of the frogs.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Frog Morton Bayou - My favorite of the frogs.

Have only had the FM Cellar and that's really good. Need to try the others at some point.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Cinco Vegas Gold. ;) HeHe
  • Options
    Had some rat trey but not sure which one...it was gifted to me and it's a mystery
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Pipa Vanilla Cavendish.

Aj
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I tried Penzance and Stonehaven. Good tobaccos but I am 100% an aromatic smoker. If I want something else I would rather have a cigar. When I smoke my pipe I want it to be sweet and flavorful.
  • Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    jd50ae:
    A Cinco Vegas Gold. ;) HeHe
    Been waiting for this lol
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    jsnake:
    OK, I tried Penzance and Stonehaven. Good tobaccos but I am 100% an aromatic smoker. If I want something else I would rather have a cigar. When I smoke my pipe I want it to be sweet and flavorful.

Have had Penzance and really like it. Been wanting to get my hands on some Stonehaven for a long time now but it sells out so quick and is hardly ever in stock.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Can't stop smoking Leo by lane!! Smooth with a nice sweet tone and just the right touch of smoke and spice. To me it's almost like smoking a mild tat with honey! I recommend this blend highly
    Money can't buy taste