Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    Love this blend, it gets even better with age. I have a Jar that's over a year old now and the Virginias really marry together well.
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    just finished 2 bowls of Hamborger Veermaster. It has been sitting in a jar for 18 months and my how it has changed. I have 1 more tin of it but I need to pick up a couple of lbs. to age. It is mild but the VA's have sweetened already and what was muted now sings!
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Drew Estates Central Park Stroll.

Wow.... what a crowd pleaser. I never had as many responses to the aroma of pipe tobacco as this did. passerbys loved it! I definitly got permission to smoke this in the house. a rare first without that "evil eye" boring holes through me. It passed the Warden test last night without the tin even being cracked! The Ol'lady could smell the sweet bready chocolate woman kryptonite stashed within this vaccum sealed can of delight.

Truly a dessert blend, its smoking a candybar in a pipe. Nuthing about it says tobacco at all. So if your smoking to smoke... this sucks. If you want sweet juicy almost hookah like vapor enjoyment, this is where it at. It was super super wet right out the can. More like chaw then pipe tobacco. I sat it out to dry for a few hours without much change. Its 107* outside right now and its refusal to dry in our 0% humidity makes me fear for my better pipes. After 12 hours it was still not dry, and if left alone, it smokes poorly... wont burn, and makes a goopy mess. my poor aro cob was its first victim. I ran it through a grinder and dried it on the dash of my car for 10 minutes. Its like 180* inside there. And man did my car smell so freaking good inside. After that it was finally an acceptible smoke and burned cleanly with minor dottle. big improvement, and really made this stuff shine. It had nice creamy clouds of smoke and was smooth as can be.... too smooth... i found myself french inhaling a bunch cause its so damn tasty!

definitly not a regular.... I will keep a tin around for company. I like it. and probably a better sweet tooth choice then the fat slab of cake i was craving.

Aj
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finishing off a bowl of McClelland Oriental mix, tangy, spicy and just a little sweet.
  • Options
    Been smoking a lot of Rattary's Howl O' the Wynd this past week. Very interesting as this jar has 40 months on it. The profile has changed. In some ways it seems like it is past its prime but in others it is very enjoyable.
  • Options
    EoLEoL Posts: 182
    Got some lane 1-q! In my first pipe f my own! Started last week on pipes and been doing like 2 bowls a day xD
  • Options
    ejgormanejgorman Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    P. Stokkebye Nougat. Not bad, but not what I expected. My first bowl too and despite all I've read about packing and tamping, there is definitely an art to it that will take some time time to master.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    Lane 1-Q tonight. It seemed milder than the P. Stokkebye Nougat. Strange observation: When smoking a cigar I always have something to drink in hand. When drinking while smoking a pipe it seems to accentuate the bite. Anybody have any insight?
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    depends on the blend, but the "bite" will go away as you learn to slow and cool down your smoke. The bite comes from the heat of the blend, basically it's a steam burn.
  • Options
    ejgorman:
    Lane 1-Q tonight. It seemed milder than the P. Stokkebye Nougat. Strange observation: When smoking a cigar I always have something to drink in hand. When drinking while smoking a pipe it seems to accentuate the bite. Anybody have any insight?
    "Accentuate" is a good way of thinking about it. It is not that it makes it worse a cold drink just brings it to your attention more quickly. Slowing down your pace will help lessen the bite. A good rule that I go by when smoking a good briar is that when the pipe begins to feel warm I take a break and let it cool down. It will take time to get the pace to where you can smoke a bowl and keep the pipe from getting warm in your hand but working at it like this will help reduce the bite.
  • Options
    FM On the Town. I was a bit skeptical after popping the can open, but that smokiness isn't as powerful on the palate as it is in the nose. Managed to keep it lit after a few relights this time. Starting to get the hang of it.
    East Side 2015
    KLMOW Badge 8/2014
    Team Trident 2014
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    working my way through some 1Q, PS Bullseye and McClelland oriental. I think I would like to try something with a little more nic kick, any suggestions?
  • Options
    Bullseye is in the med. range to me. Going up could be fun. If you like Burley you might try some KY, which is similar tasting but it goes through a different process. Peterson's Irish Flake is good. Also G&H's Kendal KY is very good. C&D's Night Train might be worth a try it has Burley, VA, Perique, and Cav, which is unfortunate but it is Med-Full.

VA's really bring the nic in some blends. G&H's Dark Bird's Eye is as strong as I have found, unless you are willing to get into ropes. If so SG's Brown Twist #4 or G&H's Brown Irish X are my go to blends when I am looking to feel a heavy weight punch. The ropes are really the only pipe tobacco I have found I cannot smoke on an empty stomach for what it is worth.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Got my hands on some of the new Tsuge DE blends. Going to smoke them tomorrow on my trip home.
  • Options
    I got some H&H White Knight lined up for this evening.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First bowl in a while. McConnell Scottish cake from 2010. Good stuff!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Had some creme brulee on the way home yesterday, and my lord that *** clogs my pipe in no time lol. When it burns good, the flavor is ridiculous though. FYI, I convinced my brothers at CFed to begin the journey into pipes and got us sponsored by MM cobs and DE pipe tobacco so we will be jumping in full throttle with a bunch of noobs.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Went over a friends house for my Birthday yesterday and they live right on the Lake. Brought one of my favorite pipes, hard to pick just one, and a mixture I made called Three Layer Kake. It's equal parts Anniversary Kake by Hearth and Home, Mississippi River by Seattle Pipe Club and Pirate Kake by Cornell and Diehl.

The Anni Kake and Miss River are two all time favorites of mine and the Pirate Kake is a Latakia Bomb. The three of them work well together and it's pretty damn good.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had only a couple ounces of Stokebyes English Luxury and Proper English left, liked them both, so I tried mixing them. Not bad, but too much bite. I was surprised at how much it increased. Let it sit a few weeks, same story. Thought about it, mixed in an equal part C&D Pirate Kake, nice result. The pirate kake cooled it out beautifully. Very happy.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MacBaren's Scottish Mixture. Light, and mild
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Tonight it was Nightcap. Great relaxing smoke.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Had some creme brulee on the way home yesterday, and my lord that *** clogs my pipe in no time lol. When it burns good, the flavor is ridiculous though. FYI, I convinced my brothers at CFed to begin the journey into pipes and got us sponsored by MM cobs and DE pipe tobacco so we will be jumping in full throttle with a bunch of noobs.
    Who makes creme brulee? That sounds fantastic!
  • Options
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    my local guy did, but I believe it was based off someone else's blend. He sells it online. It sure is wet and gooey, and needs a pipe cleaning after, but man it's good for an aro IMO. Good enough for a 12oz jar. John t's tobacco. If you happen to order some, I highly recommend his 1776. That's the aro with perique that is my favorite of all time.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    my local guy did, but I believe it was based off someone else's blend. He sells it online. It sure is wet and gooey, and needs a pipe cleaning after, but man it's good for an aro IMO. Good enough for a 12oz jar. John t's tobacco. If you happen to order some, I highly recommend his 1776. That's the aro with perique that is my favorite of all time.
    Thanks. I will check it out.

A lot of shops have "house blends" that are Lane, or Sutiff with their name on it. Looking at Sutiff's bulk they do have a creme brulee so I think I will just add that to my next order. I will probably still pick up some of John T's stuff too after I have a baseline.
  • Options
    Makes sense, let me know how the sutliff is. I spent the last two days firing up multiple bowls of the new Tsuge aro's, there are four and I got two. Both were fantastic, and the burn was very good. I will probably go deep on one.
  • Options
    That is good to hear about Tsuge. I am always looking for a great aro to smoke around others. I will have to pick up a couple to try once they are in distribution.
  • Options
    Had the PS B&B, not bad, not amazing
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoked a bowl of gawith virginia it was nice
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    HA! Good Ol' Captin Black Regular.

Aj
  • Options
    I gotta hand it to DE, I had their Hudson blend last night and it was fantastic. So far, the two Tsuge and the Hudson blend were all good tobacco.