Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Got my scale woohoo! Blended 1 part BCA Lane, 1.5 part Burley Lane, 1 part nat cav PS. Pretty darn tasty
  • Options
    J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    catfishbluezz:
    Got my scale woohoo! Blended 1 part BCA Lane, 1.5 part Burley Lane, 1 part nat cav PS. Pretty darn tasty
    Nice, it should be mild and smooth I would think. Given time to let the blend marry a little and you should really enjoy it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    nice, that should be a good one.
  • Options
    Tonight I blended 1 part BCA, 1 part burley, and 1.5 nat cav and the result was a bit more vanillaish or rich if you will, and less nutty. Tomorrow I will tweak again. After I do this a few more times, I will place my bulk order to jar up a few blends and use these as base blends. I am curious what Sean or J.S. and anyone else would recommend as far as bulk Latakia or Perique to add a little pizzaz.
  • Options
    I have straight blending Latakia and Perique, either in ribbon cut or pre-granulated.
  • Options
    slamb@cigar.com:
    I have straight blending Latakia and Perique, either in ribbon cut or pre-granulated.
    I assume it is Cyprian not Syrian, correct?
  • Options
    Correct it is a Cyprian, made from Smyrna as a base.
  • Options
    When you blend with these is it more adding a small amount to add spice?
  • Options
    It all depends on what kind of blend you are shooting for. I say start small, and test it out and add more as needed to taste until you have it perfect.
  • Options
    Thanks Sean, I will be in touch for my order. I think I have it all planned out now.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Based on what you have indicated you like I would think that you would be happy with just a little Lat. in your blends. I would recommend starting out with something like a 20% mix and working up and down from there. Good luck and happy blending!
  • Options
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    Based on what you have indicated you like I would think that you would be happy with just a little Lat. in your blends. I would recommend starting out with something like a 20% mix and working up and down from there. Good luck and happy blending!
    Man I am having so much fun. Just tweaking how much of one versus another by a small percentage makes a blend take on a new flavor at times. I am ready to order a ton of bulk and fill up these monster jars I have. One of my favorite local blends has perique in it and I cannot get enough.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    Man I am having so much fun. Just tweaking how much of one versus another by a small percentage makes a blend take on a new flavor at times. I am ready to order a ton of bulk and fill up these monster jars I have. One of my favorite local blends has perique in it and I cannot get enough.
    Ha! I love perique too but if you are going to add it do so in small quanities. It will reach out and bite and dominate a blend if it gets too high. You can really start to taste it (I can anyway) at about 8%. 20% is about my limit. I do like it often in very small amounts at it simply tames some sharp VA's without really bringing out the perique too.
  • Options
    Almost forgot! I just finished a very nice bowl of G&H's Dark Bird's Eye. It took a few bowls before I could really get it but now I absolutely love it. A very light Lakeland topping to a strong stoved VA blend that is fantastic!
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Motzek Strang in a Savinelli joker. Wasn't easy to start up and keep running but once it did it was great.
  • Options
    Just had my first bowl of SHPC VR. Maybe not the best but it is unique so who knows I will certainly give it a several more bowls before I make any decision on it one way or another. I will say that it is very smooth and that actually is a neg. for it too. Too smooth to be a VA/Per although to be honest, it is not really a VA/Per since they have added cavendish which is why it is so smooth no doubt. An intersting tweak on a traditional blend. So if anyone really likes VA/Per's but wants some of the sharpness or spice downplayed this would be the place to start.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    Orlik Golden Sliced.

Aj
  • Options
    Just finished another bowl of VR. I have to say that smooth is the word for this blend. The cavendish, although not specifically stated what kind of cavendish other then it is unsweetened must be a toasted black cavendish, which is in fact lightly sugared as the flavor of brown sugar is clearly present now. However, I could be tasting more than is there as it is very much in the background for me. It is not a sweet blend by any means but it has unmistakable sweet notes. Catfish, with your love of perique and cavendish this might be a winner for you. It is definitely a quality smoke that is starting to grow on me.
  • Options
    SG Skiff Mixture. A very good English blend.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    Just finished another bowl of VR. I have to say that smooth is the word for this blend. The cavendish, although not specifically stated what kind of cavendish other then it is unsweetened must be a toasted black cavendish, which is in fact lightly sugared as the flavor of brown sugar is clearly present now. However, I could be tasting more than is there as it is very much in the background for me. It is not a sweet blend by any means but it has unmistakable sweet notes. Catfish, with your love of perique and cavendish this might be a winner for you. It is definitely a quality smoke that is starting to grow on me.
    Bear with me, what is VR? I had some Lane 1Q last night and I dug it. It had the aro thing I dig, but also had some bite/burn to it. Little more body then what I typically dig and I liked it, just like the perique cav blend I dig.
  • Options
    Ahhh...Sherlock holmes pipe club. I'll have to add it to my next order. I think ccom has access to it.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Ahhh...Sherlock holmes pipe club. I'll have to add it to my next order. I think ccom has access to it.
    Yes, it is fuller then Lane 1-Q, at lest to me. 1-Q for me was flat but I know a lot of pipers that love it.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    Yes, it is fuller then Lane 1-Q, at lest to me. 1-Q for me was flat but I know a lot of pipers that love it.
    Def was a bit flat, not as rich as I like, but I enjoyed the added body.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    Bear with me, what is VR? I had some Lane 1Q last night and I dug it. It had the aro thing I dig, but also had some bite/burn to it. Little more body then what I typically dig and I liked it, just like the perique cav blend I dig.
    Now I am a little concerned that it might have too much VA in it and it will have more body than 1Q for sure. It may bite you a little. You might still pick up 1 oz and try, it can be found in bulk. Good info on where you are at with blends I know. The more I know, the more I can dial in on someones taste preferences and help avoid blends that may bite.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    Now I am a little concerned that it might have too much VA in it and it will have more body than 1Q for sure. It may bite you a little. You might still pick up 1 oz and try, it can be found in bulk. Good info on where you are at with blends I know. The more I know, the more I can dial in on someones taste preferences and help avoid blends that may bite.
    i don't necessarily mind the bite, but what I like is when the draw is rich. To me it just seems most pipe tobacco hits my palate through the nose and that is it. Seems like the stuff I like has flavor on the draw, and it may be because I am a cigar smoker. It's funny though, because some aro's that fit my profile, don't hit my palate at all, while others are perfect. I will grab an ounce and see what the VR is like ASAP man.
  • Options
    J.S.:
    catfishbluezz:
    J.S.:
    i don't necessarily mind the bite, but what I like is when the draw is rich. To me it just seems most pipe tobacco hits my palate through the nose and that is it. Seems like the stuff I like has flavor on the draw, and it may be because I am a cigar smoker. It's funny though, because some aro's that fit my profile, don't hit my palate at all, while others are perfect. I will grab an ounce and see what the VR is like ASAP man.
  • Options
    I know what you mean about the draw. Sometimes I think it is the blend. I mean pipe tobacco is far milder than cigars, even the fuller blends IMO. One thing that helped me pick up on the draw is to allow more air in. I mean after the first puff of a 2 puff draw (I never draw more than twice which may help with bite too) as I allow the smoke to exit I relax my jaw and take my pipe in my hand opening the mouth slightly. Then on the milder blends the next draw often produces more flavor.

However, just like cigars you can blow out the taste buds if you are smoking often. Sometimes a break of 2 or 3 days to allow the tongue bite to go away completely will help too.
  • Options
    I just grabbed some VR so I will report back once I get it. I've noticed I like the McClelland frog with perique as well
  • Options
    I don't know what it is, but I have been smoking a ton of Peter Stok. Nougat.... Just a good, classic aromatic that isn't goopy or overly sweet. Just the perfect middle ground aromatic that has some substance.
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    DeepHallow.

I havent decided how i feel about this blend yet. smells like cherry cordials in the tin. smokes like an aro with bread and sugar while being a virgina tasting grassy with some spice, pumpkin and cinnimon. its very very light, cool, whispy and gosh does it smoke forever, 2 hours on a 3/4" straight brandy. Feels like a good summer time smoke with its all day sipping ability. What I dont like the end of the bowl with its ashy prickly taste and i dont like the slight goop at the bottom. I may give this one a few more weeks in the jar and revist to see how it pans out for me. So far, I cant tell if I truly like it yet.

Aj