Home Pipes

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    MacBaren's Scottish mix is one of the few aros that I really do like. It is a great mild blend that could be enjoyed all day. You will go through it quickly.
    I barely noticed it was an aro. Very Mild topping and tobacco. I think I will like it a lot.

Now smoking G&H Coconut twist (rope).
    How did you like the rope? I like G&H's Brown Irish X. Good strong tobacco for evenings or when you need a Nic. hit, or just want to feel the N. and relax. The flavored ropes I have not tried but the base should be the same.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J.S.:
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    MacBaren's Scottish mix is one of the few aros that I really do like. It is a great mild blend that could be enjoyed all day. You will go through it quickly.
    I barely noticed it was an aro. Very Mild topping and tobacco. I think I will like it a lot.

How did you like the rope? I like G&H's Brown Irish X. Good strong tobacco for evenings or when you need a Nic. hit, or just want to feel the N. and relax. The flavored ropes I have not tried but the base should be the same.
    It takes getting used to, lol! I'm still trying to figure out how to prepare it and how much to dry. Pretty strong! The coconut is pretty good... some say it smells like tanning oil...which isn't way far off, but I kinda like it. The coconut flavor doesn't show up as much as just a general sweetness which I think goes along with the strong rope flavor.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:

It takes getting used to, lol! I'm still trying to figure out how to prepare it and how much to dry. Pretty strong! The coconut is pretty good... some say it smells like tanning oil...which isn't way far off, but I kinda like it. The coconut flavor doesn't show up as much as just a general sweetness which I think goes along with the strong rope flavor.
    The best way to prepare rope is to take a sharp knife and cut it in thin slices and then cut those slices in half or fourths like a pie. The tobacco should then be able to be broken apart further without too much trouble. I really like the flavor of Brown Irish X but it might not be as moist as the aro you have. It is too moist to smoke right away, however. For me I have found it smokes better if you let it dry until it feels dry (helpful right) I mean I don't want the tobacco to ball up or stick to itself when I roll it between my fingers. With BI that usually takes closer to 20 min. after cutting. Sometimes I will cut it in the morning place it on a paper plate and take a damp paper towel and lay over it. This will dry in a little while and the tobacco will pick up some of the moister but by evening it is just about perfect.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    Marker:
    Post up what you are smoking in the evening. Pictures of your pipes are always appreciated!
    I smoked a bowl of Lanes Bulk Very Cherry on my way to work this morning.
    curtiscr79:
    Marker:
    Post up what you are smoking in the evening. Pictures of your pipes are always appreciated!
    I just picked up a couple of oz of it too. What did you think of it?
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Peterson 2012 holiday blend this morning, and a lane I-q-5 before work
    J.s., that's about how I did it. I think it needed a little more drying time than what I gave it. Thanks!

Smoking Orlik golden sliced this morning
    Had a nice bowl of Sherlock Holmes in a calabash. A nice way to spend the morning.
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    J.S.:
    curtiscr79:
    Marker:
    I just picked up a couple of oz of it too. What did you think of it?
    It's pretty good. I just started smoking a pipe since many days are to cold to smoke a cigar. I started with Aromatics. I has very little tongue bite, it is nice to smoke and not feel like I licked a tree afterwards. Not sure I would say it has much of a Cherry smell, however I can pick up a hint of Cherry flavor.
    I am not a big aro guy but after trying VC it is OK. I could smell the cherry but it has a cherry flavored med. smell like a cough syrup or something. Taste is OK, it smoked clean and dry which is good for an aro. No major tongue bite for me either. The med smell came over in the taste on the prelight, light and subsequent relights but after a few puffs it goes away. No crazy about it but will most likely finish what I have.
    Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Just tried FM On the Town along with a new olive wood Molina pipe. FMotT wasn't a hit for me, it lit well, burned well, etc. but it lacked that unique florally note that I enjoy in the other FM's and, while the orientals definitely come through, I found it to be pretty one note in that regard and lacking in body. There are better oriental blends out there and anyone looking to enjoy the FM experience would be better served with Original, Cellar, or Bayou (if they like Perique). At least, those are my first impressions - I'll update if they change with more smoking. As for the pipe, it worked very well. It was a low end pipe I picked up expressly for trying out olive wood. Again, we'll see how it holds up over time, but at this point I'm happy with the purchase and would definitely consider more olive woods in the future. I am planning on trying the FMotT in my meerschaum and briars just to be sure my impression of the tobacco wasn't influenced by the first time experience with olive wood. If it turns out the pipe ruined the smoke, I'll update accordingly.
    mgk2020:
    Just tried FM On the Town along with a new olive wood Molina pipe. FMotT wasn't a hit for me, it lit well, burned well, etc. but it lacked that unique florally note that I enjoy in the other FM's and, while the orientals definitely come through, I found it to be pretty one note in that regard and lacking in body. There are better oriental blends out there and anyone looking to enjoy the FM experience would be better served with Original, Cellar, or Bayou (if they like Perique). At least, those are my first impressions - I'll update if they change with more smoking. As for the pipe, it worked very well. It was a low end pipe I picked up expressly for trying out olive wood. Again, we'll see how it holds up over time, but at this point I'm happy with the purchase and would definitely consider more olive woods in the future. I am planning on trying the FMotT in my meerschaum and briars just to be sure my impression of the tobacco wasn't influenced by the first time experience with olive wood. If it turns out the pipe ruined the smoke, I'll update accordingly.
    ive tried FM, town, anf bayou and I pretty much felt the same. OtT was my least favorite. While I do like the flavor, I seem to have a hard time keeping these lit sometimes. Ive had em for a year and still soggy! Lol. Bayou is my favorite and seems to do better for me.
    MacBaren scottish blend. Super mild!
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Gray4lines:
    ive tried FM, town, anf bayou and I pretty much felt the same. OtT was my least favorite. While I do like the flavor, I seem to have a hard time keeping these lit sometimes. Ive had em for a year and still soggy! Lol. Bayou is my favorite and seems to do better for me.
    You should really try Cellar if you haven't already. It might be the best of the lot, though I too enjoy Bayou. I'm surprised you have issues keeping them lit because for me they're one of the best burning blends I've tried. That's pipes for you. lol. If you liked the orientals in OTT you might try the McClelland Oriental mixtures or my favorite: Drama Reserve.
    mgk2020:
    Gray4lines:
    You should really try Cellar if you haven't already. It might be the best of the lot, though I too enjoy Bayou. I'm surprised you have issues keeping them lit because for me they're one of the best burning blends I've tried. That's pipes for you. lol. If you liked the orientals in OTT you might try the McClelland Oriental mixtures or my favorite: Drama Reserve.
    I may pick that one up. I have heard that many think it's the best. Bayou burns great for me...maybe I got a soggy batch of the other 2. I am not sure that I have had many other orientals...maybe only in balkan blends like black house and magum opus.
    More SG best brown
    Orlik golden sliced.
    G.L. Pease's Abington. A very nice English. Just opened the tin. It has been sitting since 12/10. A little age, one of my oldest currently and it will not take long to finish the tin.
    MacBaren Scottish blend. I really like this one. Incredibly mild and light.
    Dunhill Nightcap with some woodford reserve!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Orlik from G4L I see why everyone digs this. Nice body, some sweeter undertones, and a solid nic kick. Still not Good at packing flake like this yet.
    catfishbluezz:
    Orlik from G4L I see why everyone digs this. Nice body, some sweeter undertones, and a solid nic kick. Still not Good at packing flake like this yet.
    I typically will fold it up over and over untill you have a bundle of "french fries" these can be stuffed in and then rub some ribbon out on top.
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Walts English blend from pilgrimtex
    Popped the lid on a jar of SG FVF. It has almost 18 months age on it. I have to say there is a difference between it now and what it was ROTT. I will be ordering more of this and would love to see what it is like with 5 yrs. on it if I can keep any that long!
    J.S.:
    Popped the lid on a jar of SG FVF. It has almost 18 months age on it. I have to say there is a difference between it now and what it was ROTT. I will be ordering more of this and would love to see what it is like with 5 yrs. on it if I can keep any that long!
    I have a tin of Full Va, but haven't popped it yet. I will probably wait a year or so. If it's anywhere near as good as Best Brown, I'll be happy!

Just popped a tin of Capstan Gold flake. Some compared this to Orlik, but it's much less sweet and milder. I think it's closer to Solani's Va flake.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    I just smoked some MacBaren Vanilla Cream Flake, damn was that tasty.
    Gray4lines:
    J.S.:
    I have a tin of Full Va, but haven't popped it yet. I will probably wait a year or so. If it's anywhere near as good as Best Brown, I'll be happy!

Just popped a tin of Capstan Gold flake. Some compared this to Orlik, but it's much less sweet and milder. I think it's closer to Solani's Va flake.
    I like both FVF and BBF, they both have a place in my VA rotation. This is the oldest FVF I have had as of yet and it seems like it is going to be outstanding with age. I have a fresh tin of G.L.Pease Abington and the jar of FVF, and HG's Kendal KY open. Abrington I like the other two I love but the jar of FVF is aready half empty! I am starting to see a trend in my smoking. I like Lat. but given a choice between a lat. of VA blend, I side with the VA more often.

I have 2 tins of Capstan but I will wait for a while before I open one of them. I look forward to it. I do like Solani's VA.
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Midnight. Its an aromatic local blend. Its great for me, since I'm new to pipes, because it has no bite. Gray4lines what is Virginia flake? I see you talk about it a lot.
    Thanatos0320:
    Midnight. Its an aromatic local blend. Its great for me, since I'm new to pipes, because it has no bite. Gray4lines what is Virginia flake? I see you talk about it a lot.
    Virginia is a type of tobacco. Usually mild, sweet, maybe grassy. Flake is when tobacco is pressed together into a block, and sliced into thin strips.