Home Pipes

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Flake will expand more than a cut tobacco will. You will need to allow for that. I like flake both ways but if you fold it it is often an all day smoke. It burns slow, tastes milder IMO and you have to have lots of time to enjoy it. Rubbing it out will give a fuller flavor but it will also burn hotter so be aware of that change too.
    Oh, I almost forgot I just had a bowl of Escudo. It has already been a very long week and I still have much work to do tonight but I am in a place where I can smoke later too so I will most likely end this day/morning with a Partagas which also has a little spice. Hopefully they will complement each other.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    I opened my tin of Davidoff green For my Burfday smoke.
    taythegibs:
    I opened my tin of Davidoff green For my Burfday smoke.
    What did you think of it?
    i thought it was okay, i only got a little bite out of it and i really enjoyed the aftertaste. i need to try it a couple more times to really see what i think of it though.
  • mgk2020mgk2020 Posts: 97
    Been waiting for weeks, now I can finally enjoy some Drama Reserve in my new meerschaum pipe.

**I'll have to retry posting the pics**
    Peter Stokkebye English Luxury while doing some yard work, i think i like this better than the davidoff green but i still havent found an english blend that i just love.
  • I have still not tried any english blends yet. Not sure which one to try first.
    taythegibs:
    Peter Stokkebye English Luxury while doing some yard work, i think i like this better than the davidoff green but i still havent found an english blend that i just love.
    I would actually consider Green Mix a light English aromatic. There is a clear casing in the burley and cav. and I don't really care for it that much. The only Davidoff mix that I do like is Royalty but even that is just OK. EL, that you are currently smoking if I smoke it early on would have been OK.

Blends that I consider good English that are mild- med. are Peterson's Old Dublin. SHPC's Great Hiatus. I think that just about everything Stokkebye puts out is OK to great. For a long time my favorite English was his Proper English but my taste has started to change and I have had to move away from it for the moment. It is not as good as Great Hiatus.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Frog Morton on the bayou. Good stuff, and odd thing I've discovered, is my first Cobb is the best tasting am burning pipe I own. Weird...
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I love that stuff.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    taythegibs:
    I've been enjoying this, too, but have to say I like the McClelland Dark English better. the PS EL, however, will ship along with my CCOM order. I've yet to try the Proper English, but will be, as income returns to the household.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    catfishbluezz:
    Frog Morton on the bayou. Good stuff, and odd thing I've discovered, is my first Cobb is the best tasting am burning pipe I own. Weird...
    I still haven't had the on the bayou, but have really liked the FM's I've had.

The great thing about cobs is that they smoke like a 5 year old briar. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that there are 5 year old cobs.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Hey guys,
    Those who have received samples; I need some detailed feedback so I know how to proceed with improving or whatever. Prefer not giving out recipies till I feel the blends are fully realized. This is a good thread to feed me the info or on Walt's Emporium.
    Thanks for your help in this matter
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Sutliff Voodoo queen last night. Did the job when I was waiting around to play softball. I like the blend. Very smokey with a little bit of sweetness.
  • I was smoking some McClelland Gray Havens from their Craftbury collection.
  • If you wanna send out some more samples im willing to be a test monkey XD ill right some reviews c:
    My own blend with some tobaccos I got from my pipe shop. Basically it started a half and half black cavendish and straight burley, then I added a few pinches of natural cavendish. I'm really diggin it lol.
    catfishbluezz:
    My own blend with some tobaccos I got from my pipe shop. Basically it started a half and half black cavendish and straight burley, then I added a few pinches of natural cavendish. I'm really diggin it lol.
    Interesting, isn't it. I'm eyeballing shelf space and perusing the opportunities over at P&C. Got lots of Mason jars. :)

Amos Umwhat:
    catfishbluezz:
    Interesting, isn't it. I'm eyeballing shelf space and perusing the opportunities over at P&C. Got lots of Mason jars. :)
    im taking this over to my pipe shop and blending it there for a bulk jar. It's exactly what I like, and so weird that smoking any of them by themselves doesn't give this flavor to me, but combining them all does.
    catfishbluezz:
    Amos Umwhat:
    catfishbluezz:
    im taking this over to my pipe shop and blending it there for a bulk jar. It's exactly what I like, and so weird that smoking any of them by themselves doesn't give this flavor to me, but combining them all does.

You are now truly one of us.
    pilgrimtex:
    catfishbluezz:
    Amos Umwhat:
    catfishbluezz:

I tossed a cigar for it... And I still love and crave cigars more really. However, I am finding what pipe tobacoo I like is very limited. It's not like cigars, where I like to smoke different stuff and choose different wrappers, blenders, tastes, etc... I like a couple pipe tobacco's and that's it. Totally different experience really.
  • AVJimAVJim Posts: 449
    catfishbluezz:
    pilgrimtex:
    catfishbluezz:
    Amos Umwhat:
    catfishbluezz:

I tossed a cigar for it... And I still love and crave cigars more really. However, I am finding what pipe tobacoo I like is very limited. It's not like cigars, where I like to smoke different stuff and choose different wrappers, blenders, tastes, etc... I like a couple pipe tobacco's and that's it. Totally different experience really.

I find the comparison the same. I really haven't found a pipe tobacco I don't like! There are some which I don't prefer as much as others (like cigars) but really have been enjoying the heck out of pipes. What I have really liked is the ability to satisfy my family with pipe smoking. I never heard compliments on how much they liked any cigar...
    "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member"
  • I don't smoke cigars, but I'm finding my habit to be similar. I have now tried probably 30+ blends and I find more and more lately that I end up disappointed. There are 3 or 4 that I enjoy so much more than everything else I've tried that smoking anything else ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. That said, my "to try" list is still about 20 long. lol. However, it's now mostly variations on my 3 or 4 favorites, rather than a variety.
    mgk2020:
    I don't smoke cigars, but I'm finding my habit to be similar. I have now tried probably 30+ blends and I find more and more lately that I end up disappointed. There are 3 or 4 that I enjoy so much more than everything else I've tried that smoking anything else ends up feeling like a missed opportunity. That said, my "to try" list is still about 20 long. lol. However, it's now mostly variations on my 3 or 4 favorites, rather than a variety.

This means its now time to enter the world of blending. Start easy. Try blending some of the 3-4 you like together. Start reading the reviews on blending tobaccos at P&C. You will enter a new world that you will find satisfying.
    Just a simple Lane Very Cherry tonight in a Peterson...
    AVJim:

Treva likes my version of it. Just add 2 parts BLWB by volume with 1 part Very Cherry,
    pilgrimtex:
    AVJim:

Treva likes my version of it. Just add 2 parts BLWB by volume with 1 part Very Cherry,

As luck would have it.......... I have those ingredients!!! Oh, but to smoke another bowl tonight would be too much.... just kidding!!! I am going to start a blending! THANKS!!!!
  • ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Had a bowl of walts ( pilgrimtex) English and now onto a bowl of his original. Enjoyed both but I think I may have another bowl of English befit the night is done.
    Smoked a bowl of Peterson's Old Dublin this morning. A very good English that is growing on me more and more.