Home Pipes

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Thanatos0320:
    Midnight. Its an aromatic local blend. Its great for me, since I'm new to pipes, because it has no bite. Gray4lines what is Virginia flake? I see you talk about it a lot.
    Virginia is a type of tobacco. Usually mild, sweet, maybe grassy. Flake is when tobacco is pressed together into a block, and sliced into thin strips.

How do you go about packing that into a pipe? What's better about that than the normal looking tobacco that isn't in a sheet/strip?
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nothing better. Just preference. I like flakes a whole lot.

There are a ton of ways to pack a flake:
    Rub it out You can Rub it in between your fingers and it pretty much turns into a ribbon-cut.
    Fold and stuff fold the flake up over and over and then stuff it in the pipe (i usually do this and rub a little bit out on top to make lighting easier). If you fold lengthwise over and over, you get what look like "french fries" and you can just stand them up straight in the pipe. Just like McDonald's putting fries in a cardboard pouch-thing.
    Cube cut cut the flake into little cubes and gravity feed into the pipe. I do this sometimes.

Flakes burn very slowly and cool and age very well. A tall, slim, pipe like a stack or dublin is usually recommended for flakes. it holds em close together so they burn down better. It can take some practice to get the pack right, but I actually think flakes are easier to pack.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Thanatos0320Thanatos0320 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:

Rub it out You can Rub it in between your fingers and it pretty much turns into a ribbon-cut.
    Fold and stuff fold the flake up over and over and then stuff it in the pipe (i usually do this and rub a little bit out on top to make lighting easier). If you fold lengthwise over and over, you get what look like "french fries" and you can just stand them up straight in the pipe. Just like McDonald's putting fries in a cardboard pouch-thing.
    Cube cut cut the flake into little cubes and gravity feed into the pipe. I do this sometimes.

Flakes burn very slowly and cool and age very well. A tall, slim, pipe like a stack or dublin is usually recommended for flakes. it holds em close together so they burn down better. It can take some practice to get the pack right, but I actually think flakes are easier to pack.
    You've pretty much convinced me to get some now. What would you recommend a beginner to smoke?
    Thanatos0320:
    Gray4lines:

You've pretty much convinced me to get some now. What would you recommend a beginner to smoke?
    Lol! Flakes are worth a try, you may really like em. The one I posed a pic of is a great beginner flake. Lots of flavor, solid smoke, and cheap. Orlik Golden Sliced. Get a little square tin and you won't be sorry. I've paid twice as much for other tobaccos that I don't think are as good.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Had a bowl of a freinds Drew Estate Meat Pie... WWOOOOOF! Kinda like eating a half charred log from a campfire doused with lemon juice. Not my thing. I would rather eat Virginias than smoke Latakia :) Took me 2 bowls of Dominican Glory Maduro to get the taste out of my mouth LOL. If this is your thing...more power you ya:)
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stokebye's Proper English. Very nice, cool smoke, "English" flavor without too much bite or overwhelming Latakia. Also tried Sutliffe's Balkan II bulk, which I liked pretty well, not as much as their Balkan Luxury, although the Luxury can be a little too much. I think I'm going to try mixing the Balkan II with some Pirate Kake, we'll see how that goes.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • J.S.J.S. Posts: 754
    Loading G&H Kendal KY for a quick morning bowl!
  • dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    A bowl of Lane, HGL.... yummy... love how smokey it is.

Aj
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    HGL has become one of my all day smokes, mellow and savory, just enough Latakia, and the room note passes with the Master...I mean my Wife.
    I have really found it nice, like a soft campfire without a drop of bite unless you choo choo the grey and nasty at the end, just wish it had a bigger nic kick!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 239
    you could always toss in a pinch of Perique... It'll cool it down even more and add a bit of a toast quality, while bringing up the nic level a tad.
  • dbeckom:
    I'm certain that eventually, some crack head will find this thread via a google search....
    i have already found it here. good all pipe here look in google.
  • IsraIsra Posts: 8
     My pipe is my pride and joy Castello Collection Great Line Fiammata.
    look this https://www.cubancigarsbest.com/index.php/trinidad-cuban-cigars.html
    Isra:
     My pipe is my pride and joy Castello Collection Great Line Fiammata.
    Castellos look nice, not to mention the great line! I have always wanted a Castello.
    Solani ABF
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Sunset breeze
  • sabujsabuj Posts: 6
    my favourite one is Black Vanilla. i love that.
    Dunhill Nightcap.... stuff is delicious! but no where near as potent as the reviews said it was.

Aj
  • curtiscr79curtiscr79 Posts: 859
    dr_frankenstein56:
    Dunhill Nightcap.... stuff is delicious! but no where near as potent as the reviews said it was.

Aj
    Do you taste an almost spearmint flavor? I can't put my finger on it, but spearmint is the closet I can think of.
    curtiscr79:
    dr_frankenstein56:

Aj
    Do you taste an almost spearmint flavor? I can't put my finger on it, but spearmint is the closet I can think of.
    Well, lets see. i cant say I taste spearmint in it... but it does taste like a log that had fungus in it that got wet then was put in my pipe. I am a big wood burning kinda guy so the wet campfire/yule log taste is actually right up my alley. I was really actually after the Nic hit... my reason for nightcap in the first place, but it didnt do it for me. Smoked one bowl... then had to have a ciggarette.
    AND NOW:

Pipa Vanilla Cavendish... its good... but needs to dry or will gurgle and poop something awful!

Aj
    dr_frankenstein56:
    AND NOW:

Pipa Vanilla Cavendish... its good... but needs to dry or will gurgle and poop something awful!

Aj
    I have this also, kinda like it myself. I was surprised since it was only $5 and came with a cob.
    curtiscr79:
    dr_frankenstein56:
    AND NOW:

Aj
    I have this also, kinda like it myself. I was surprised since it was only $5 and came with a cob.
    Absolutly, it was a great beginner kit! the cob sucked, it burned out fairly fast. but it was perfect to learn how to pack and smoke and all that good stuff. I like the tobacco, but it is wet... and has alot of sugar in it so it bites if you choo choo it hard. Love to mix it with OGS, smokes better and mellows out the casing a bit and cuts down the re-lights. Id be posting on thr FB page more... but I dont feel trendy smoking my pipe. In fact, here in my parts... its a great way to get ridiculed pretty bad.

Aj
    I will have to try mixing it with a few I have. Never really thought of that.
    MacBaren Scottish blend
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Cherry vanilla
    CAO Moontrance
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Combo of burley and black cav. I really like these together and think adding something to the mix would really make it pop.
  • christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    Currently smoking Fusiliers Ration in my washington corn cob with sweet iced tea.
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Dunhill Nightcap last night in the pretty chilly garage. Ready for this winter to be over.