Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    Captain_CallCaptain_Call Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just for him house blend Schafers gold aka McClelland tg3. 

"Golden Virginias and lighter grades of Burley are processed in the Cavendish method along with a creamy vanilla essence to make TG-3 a gentle and smoothly sweet blend with an enjoyable mellow aroma"

Basically a sweet Virginia. It says it's vanilla but I get a very strong caramel note. Sweet room note and gentle burn make it a pleasant first smoke. It takes a little tighter pack than some others or it takes off like a rocket and bites.
  • Options
    Cobbing it up with some Dunhill emp not so early in the morning
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GH Burley + Bright in a large Ser Jacopo coral dot bent brandy
  • Options
    GH Kendal dark in a grabow straight lark. I love the cut. It burns so clean. Very satisfying for the OCD
  • Options
    Three Nuns in a Radice cobra
  • Options
    Lane blwb in a straight legend. It's a trap! Nothing that sweet and mellow should kick that hard. 
  • Options
    Peterson old Dublin in my brand new dagner poker. It's a huge nose warmer sitter.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never smoked a pipe before in my life, but have been wanting to give it a try.

Been looking at pipes on line and am lost.  The ones that seem affordable are rated as being hot, bitter, or harsh.
    As for tobacco, guess a suggestion on something mild would help.
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    @Diver43 start with an ounce or two of non aromatic plain Virginia or burley, ribbon or s h a g cut (forum really wants to censor that and its frustrating since its a common cut of tobacco), and a Missouri meerschaum corn cob pipe. Lane 1000 and burley light without a bite come to mind and lane 1Q comes very widely recommended as well but it leans more towards the aromatic side. 10 dollar startup, 15 at most. Start with a looser pack, you can always tamp it if it's too loose after lighting. Its much more involved to recover a bowl packed too tight. Smoke just fast enough to keep it from going out. If it starts to feel like you are licking a porcupine, back it down.

PM me if you want to go deeper down the rabbit hole 
    Post edited by Captain_Call on
  • Options
    Had a mellow monk in a mm legend pre dinner. Ran a bowl of Dunhill nightcap in my cobbit to finish the night. 
  • Options
    McClelland 5110. I feel like my face is on crooked after a round with that stuff. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I've already got a bag of it in the cart for my next order
  • Options
    Tried my first twist. GH brown bogie. It was a trainwreck. Wouldn't light and when it finally did it was blistering hot and miserable. Glad I have a few ounces to practice with. I don't fault the tobacco at all. It's all on me. 

I had to redeem myself and meet my quota so I turned to atlas Balkan from Cornell and Diehl. What a difference. Single touch on the light and clean white ash and cool smoke to the bottom of the bowl. I'll definitely have to get more of this
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2017
    McClelland 5110. I feel like my face is on crooked after a round with that stuff. And because I'm a glutton for punishment, I've already got a bag of it in the cart for my next order

That's my all-time favorite!  It's still on backorder, and I've been trying to blend a replacement, with some success.  My last attempt was: 

1part each of
    Izmir Ribbon cut Turkish,
    frangrant red Virginia,
    Stoved Virginia,
    latakia,
    McClelland oriental 2045,
    and 1/2 part Special Dark Cavendish. 

I'm not sure if this classify's as English, Balkan, or Oriental, but it's working for me! :)
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    I was able to get it from a brick and mortar a while back. I have about an ounce before I have to start hunting. It seems that a lot of brick and mortars that carry McClelland just rename it. I have encountered it as night owl and wind jammer
  • Options
    First bowl of old joe krantz. It's relaxing but not very impressive. A good, simple, light in body, strong nic mix
  • Options
    Just for him house blend oriental number 1 in a mm general

"Fragrant Red and Lemon Virginias combined with conservative amounts of Cyprian Latakia and Orientals. This blend offers a great Virginia flavor with a spicy Oriental kick and a slight smokey tone."

• Options
    MarkwellMarkwell Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You really should trade in that big rig for a tugboat. For a young dude you'e such an old salt...especially with a cobber. 
    “Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman – or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle.” – George Burns
  • Options
    @Markwell it's kind of like a land tug. Aye, it ain't the years, it's the miles
  • Options
    Three Nuns in a Chacom cutty.
  • Options
    Knocking back a quarter bowl of 965 in my Peterson kinsale xl15 before bed. Surprisingly decent paired with Walmart deli bbq chicken chunks. 
  • Options
    Three Nuns in a Chacom cutty.
    That is coin or medallion cut, correct?
  • Options
    ^ yes, it is, one of my favorites for 50 years.
  • Options
    But didn't the blend change? I've been meaning to pick some up and I want to know more about it before I dive in
  • Options
    Got off work super early today and had a various pipes going since

Started with Peterson old Dublin in my Peterson kinsale xl15
    Next was a mcclelland 5110 in my unnamed smooth free hand
    Took a break and jumped into the vherf with Cornell and Diehl Habana daydream in a cob followed with a fresh cob and an english house blend called grey flannel and another fresh cob with another house english called battlefield.

The last three were new blends for me. The grey flannel was my favorite of the bunch but the Habana daydream really pushed my boundaries in a new direction I liked. 

If the tobacco acquisition disorder fire was smoldering, I just fanned it
  • Options
    Habana Daydream is a great blend, congrats on finding it. 
  • Options
    Chugged through a couple bowls of C&D atlas Balkan on a trail ride today. If you have never packed a pipe on horseback on the move, all i can say is it is an experience fraught with unique difficulties. Luckily my old bag let's me steer with my feet
  • Options
    I have a memory of a cowboy rolling a smoke of Bull Durham while on horseback. Don't remember if it was an ad or from a movie. I tried to roll some, a couple of times, without much success. Like rolling saw dust.
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a memory of a cowboy rolling a smoke of Bull Durham while on horseback. Don't remember if it was an ad or from a movie. I tried to roll some, a couple of times, without much success. Like rolling saw dust.

I think it was Jack Palance.  I was thinking the same, but I'm not sure.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain