Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

Had some GLP Stonehenge Flake in the gourd this morning. Good stuff, Va/per with a touch of Burley. Nothing reveals the essence of a pipe tobacco like that gourd. I guess it's the configuration of it. Same tobacco in a different pipe is never as good.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2020

SG Perfection in a Nuttens Prince.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

SG Kendal Cream flake from @NorCalR1 in a meer lined Hilson Junior.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sampling McCranie’s Red Flake from @NorCalR1, TYVM David.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Kendal flake from @NorCalR1 in the Sasieni. Thanks David!

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,725 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

That's a very nice looking pipe.
    Is Nuttens Prince the manufacturer, the style or the model?

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

@ShawnOL said:

@Stubble said:

Thank you!
    Bruno Nuttens is the maker, Prince is the shape.
    https://nuttenspipes.com/en/index.htm

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:

@ShawnOL said:

@Stubble said:

Thank you!

I’m going to forget that website was listed..

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options

@NorCalR1 said:

@Stubble said:

@ShawnOL said:

@Stubble said:

Thank you!

I’m going to that website was listed..

FIFY

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

4th Gen. 2012 Anniv. Blend in a M.Addis apple.

• Options

KBV Yoshimi’s Vizmir from @NorCalR1 in a MM Cob. Opening the bag, the overwhelming smell is strawberries and cream. Reminds me of an old neighbor, everything with her was strawberries and cream; cloyingly sweet.

It’s subtle in the bowl, a bit of strawberries and cream when I smoke it, but not cloying and no bite. Very mild, TYVM David for letting me try this. Paired with hot hibiscus tea.

• Options

• Options

Crumble Kake No. 1 in a Jacono.

• Options
  • Options
    edited November 2020

The kind and generous Mr. @NorCalR1 gave me a sample of L.J. Peretti Thanksgiving Day in his recent drive-by bomb, I loaded it up in the M.Addis Dublin to help get me in the holiday spirit this morning. Hints of rum and citrus reminds me of sweet and savory Thanksgiving treats. TYVM, David.

Unfortunately, M.Addis retired from making pipes and is now learning how to make guitars.

• Options

@Yakster said:
    The kind and generous Mr. @NorCalR1 gave me a sample of L.J. Peretti Thanksgiving Day in his recent drive-by bomb, I loaded it up in the M.Addis Dublin to help get me in the holiday spirit this morning. Hints of rum and citrus reminds me of sweet and savory Thanksgiving treats. TYVM, David.

Unfortunately, M.Addis retired from making pipes and is now learning how to make guitars.

Love that pipe!!!!

• Options
    edited November 2020

Last night after I tried the KBV Vizmir from @NorCalR1 (twice to help bolster my opinion on it, sometimes you don't get a blend the first time) I loaded up some of the sample of Sutliff MATCH Edgeworth Ready Rubbed that I picked up in a recent sale and enjoyed that. More of a mild VaBur chocolate and wood blend, be a good morning blend with coffee. Mild, but I enjoyed it and had a long, pleasant aftertaste

I'm trying and enjoying more Burley blends (Thanksgiving Day included) after trying out pressed Virginia flakes, expanding my horizons.

With all the samples from @NorCalR1 and others, and the samples I've picked up I've put them all in smallish (4 oz max) Mylar bags from Pleasant Grove Farm and thrown the ones that I want to try next (a couple dozen it seems) in a canvas bag that hangs in my office closet. I take out a bag, try it out, then throw it in the next bag of samples that I've tried to get through them. I'm not including the Chocolate Manhood blend I'm making myself and saving to try around Christmas or the blending Latakia, Perique, or Burley in this right now, though I may consider adding a bit of Perique to some of the milder blends later. It's a fun way to try different things, thanks again for the samples @NorCalR1, @Stubble, @rsherman24, and all.

The Mylar bags are easier to throw around than canning jars and I should be able to wipe off the Listo marking pencil labels and clean and reuse the bags for future samples. I just have to be careful not to wipe off the markings while I'm still using them. I suppose I could number the bags with Sharpies and keep a list as a backup, but that sounds like work.

• Options

Yoshi’s Chic Lit Pie from KBV
    In the trusty Grabow. ROTT with about 30 minutes drying time. A delicious blend that stays lit without trying. Subtle flavors and a great room note. This will be a great holiday blend

• Options

Sutliff Match Sunrise (Early Morning) in my M.Addis Dublin again after a lunch break. It doesn't measure up to my vintage Dunhill Early Morning Pipe tin, but it's still good and the flavors are coming out more as I reach the bottom of the bowl. I'd smoke again.

• Options

I think I want to re-try both the Sutliff Sunrise Match and KBV Vizmir a bit drier to see how that changes the flavor.

• Options
    edited November 2020

I almost spit out my coffee when I saw that. Does it come with ten pounds free tobacco?

• Options

Five Brothers Smoking Tobacco in a $4 cob, doesn't get better than this. Straight non-topped non-cased fine cut burley.

• Options
    edited November 2020

@ShawnOL said:

I almost spit out my coffee when I saw that. Does it come with ten pounds free tobacco?

OK, now with that still fresh on your mind is the time to look up Baki Meerschaums, the sticker shock won't be so bad.

Next step, check out the Tekin's, ABK, and IMP and get yourself a meer, all while feeling great about how frugal you are.

• Options

Damn. I guess after a 2k pipe, $200 seems much cheaper.

• Options

LJ Perreti Thanksgiving in a Monier to start the day.
    Happy Thanksgiving all have a blessed day.

• Options

Chonowitsch T 14 in a Pietenpauw Pipe Chat 2010 POY

• Options

Peretti Thanksgiving Cake thanks to @NorCalR1 in a 2003 Stanwell.

Thanks David!

• Options

@ShawnOL said:
    Damn. I guess after a 2k pipe, $200 seems much cheaper.

Something to think about when buying a pipe, how much does a box of good cigars cost? How long does it last? I gave $95 for my first good (non-Dr. Grabow) pipe in 1986. Still have it. Still smokes. 34 years. Bought a lot of cigars that year, too. Have none of them.

• Options
    edited November 2020

The pipe is a Stanwell Featherweight, shape 118. Great smoking pipe.

• Options

Enjoying a cob on Thanksgiving while smoking a turkey and marking my sample Mylar bags with Sharpie index numbers and logging the contents to Google Sheets in case I wipe off the Listo grease pencil markings of the contents.

Seems like Thanksgiving is a fine time to smoke a pipe. I'm trying West Coast Cigar Rhythm & Blues, tasty stuff. Paired with cold coffee. I'm not an especial fan of this bent stem on this cob, I may swap it.