Home Pipes
Options

What is in your pipe?

Comments

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

I liked 1792, may have a bit stashed away somewhere in the cellar. The tonka sauce in unique.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,749 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, there's rumors of an upcoming Samuel Gawith drop hitting soon and it's on my list.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

I cut and rubbed out a bit more than a bowl and a half which I smoked this afternoon while I worked, then took a break to fix dinner and picked up again later on the vHerf. I think that'll do me for Vitamin N today. A good, strong blend with deep notes.

• Options
    edited September 2021

Dried, cut, rolled, and stuffed almost two full flakes of HH Old Dark Fired in my meerschaum bowl of my Falcon pipe this morning while I work in the back yard. Even though I dried it in the sun until crispy, I'm struggling to get it really lit. It doesn't seem like I overstuffed the bowls. The ODF flakes are the size of the shorter width of the tin instead of the longer length. Might be fighting the breeze out here too. It's a beautiful 68ºF and not so hazy today as yesterday. Starting to get some sweet draws from this.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

Packed up my Neerup Pickaxe with some Robt. McConnell Folded Flake that had a couple years on it. That stuff just gets better with time. Which reminds me, @Stubble , I had some of those Sun Bear blends. Both were good, and I think will get better with time. The KB Notorious was absolutely awesome, too. Haven't gotten to the Jupiter Slices, yet. Trying not to overdo it.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

Some Wilke Sailor Jack to start the day off.......

• Options

@Yakster said:
    Dried, cut, rolled, and stuffed almost two full flakes of HH Old Dark Fired in my meerschaum bowl of my Falcon pipe this morning while I work in the back yard. Even though I dried it in the sun until crispy, I'm struggling to get it really lit. It doesn't seem like I overstuffed the bowls. The ODF flakes are the size of the shorter width of the tin instead of the longer length. Might be fighting the breeze out here too. It's a beautiful 68ºF and not so hazy today as yesterday. Starting to get some sweet draws from this.

I found that flake burns well if cube cut.

• Options
    ForMudForMud Posts: 2,336 ✭✭✭✭✭

H&H Harvest Moon ........

• Options
    edited September 2021

@silvermouse said:

I found that flake burns well if cube cut.

I'll have to try that some time but for now I'm trying to get better with flake tobacco.

This afternoon I'm smoking Watch City Cigar's Rougaroux in my Norm Triptow small, but mighty, half-saddle, quarter-flake pipe. Even though this is ribbon cut tobacco. I'm focusing on trying to smoke it slowly to bring out the best flavor.

• Options

KBV Anne Cap in my Hilson estate Calabash shaped briar. Something light after that Andalusian Bull.

• Options

I went to a jewelry and gem show on Saturday—cost me plenty—and picked up the piece of amethyst shown in a post above as a cigar rest as well as a wood spice grinder for a fiver to try homogenizing the tobacco size in mixtures. I got a chance to play with it today with three tobaccos in my leftover jar that were from ribbon and flake. I think there's ODF and Rum Flake in there, I don't remember the first component.

This grinder doesn't hold much spice, but seems to work OK. Smoking the tobacco in my Baraccini pocket pipe.

• Options
    edited September 2021

I took the last of the leftover tobacco and combined it with my 50/50 mix of GH Coniston Cut Plug with GH Bosun Plug to sweeten it up today. I homogenized it in the spice grinder and the addition of the sweetness from the Bosun Plug really made this more enjoyable.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

GH Brown Flake Unscented in a Ron Powell.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

Solani Virginia Flake in the Eltang.

• Options

Jaunty pipe, beautiful sandblasting and grain, lithe shape.

• Options

@silvermouse said:
    Jaunty pipe, beautiful sandblasting and grain, lithe shape.

Thanks Edward. It weighs a mere 20 grams. Luck to have it, estate pipe and I was in the right place at the right time!

• Options

D&R Ramback Gold in my Chacom club. Surprisingly good Turkish and VA tobacco that some use for RYO.

• Options

Bob's Chocolate Flake in my Briar Works Bullmoose while watching the heat lightning.

• Options

I liked the chocolate flake once in a while for a change of taste. Is that the one with a touch of Latakia or is that the SG one?

• Options

The GH one with the touch of Latakia.

• Options

C&D Sansepolcro for some strong, sweet smoke in my Andrey Kharitonov tomato paired with a grapefruit Sculpin IPA. Let's get this weekend started!

• Options

50/50 Escudo and GH Brown Flake Aromatic in a poker by Ron Powell.

• Options

Sharp pipe, @Stubble.

• Options

2008 Full Virginia Flake in my small, but mighty, half-saddle, quarter-flake Norm Triptow pipe.

• Options

2010 SG BBF from @silvermouse in a J. Everett Pot.

• Options

Put the Watch City Old Dominion Crumb Flake and a small amount of leftover Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake in my spice grinder and am smoking it in my Briar Works Bullmoose pipe.

• Options

Ken Byron Burley Morning Pipe (Burley with coffee) in my Neal Monier bing.

• Options

Wessex Campaign Dark Flake in my M.Addis 10th Anniversary plateau Dublin paired with original Ranch Water hard seltzer.

• Options

That Wessex Campaign Dark Flake was tasty. Today I'm drying some Ken Byron Byronic Fragments in the sun for a few minutes to smoke in my Norm Triptow small, but mighty, half-saddle, quarter-flake pipe.

• Options

Those KBV Byronic Fragments were thick and burnt hot, I think next time I'll rub them out or run them through my little spice grinder first then dry the tobacco and see how it tastes. I like to smoke flake just cut, rolled, and stuffed, but still have some problems with the thicker cuts.

Today, some Sutliff Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend in my Neal Monier Bing while working in the back yard. This is an easy, enjoyable smoke.