• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Stubble said:
    KBV Van Gogh in a Posella.

That there is a work of art

• Options
    edited January 2022

You know what you're doing over there ;)
    Update on the briar when you have one I'm intrigued

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

My father in law told me he has a bunch of his fathers old pipes. Is there anything I should look/look out for?

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends. Are you looking for value or good smokers?
    How old are they? If he smoked drug store pipes like Grabow or Kawoodie they sold millions of them, some are decent smokers, especially the latter. Chewed up stems are difficult to adequately restore. Charred bowl rims or nearly burned out bowls are a problem. About the mid-70s many pipemakers switched from vulcanite to lucite stems; vulcanite oxidizes to a dingy gray or orange and take some work to clean up whereas lucite remains shiny black. I think vulcanite is preferable if you chew on the stem, it has some give and makes clenching more comfortable.

Value pipes are handmade or finished and usually have better, less flawed briar. Some old English-made pipes are known for being sweet smokers due to the old briar and engineering and classic shapes. Dunhill, Charatan, and even some of the less pricey Everyman are good pipes though, like everything else, the price has risen. I used to routinely buy Comoy Everyman pipes on ebay for around $20, now they are much more than that restored and in good shape.

Then there the collectibles and hand-mades, a quick tour through the pages of https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/
    will help you identify some of them.

• Options
    genareddoggenareddog Posts: 4,098 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse said:
    Depends. Are you looking for value or good smokers?
    How old are they? If he smoked drug store pipes like Grabow or Kawoodie they sold millions of them, some are decent smokers, especially the latter. Chewed up stems are difficult to adequately restore. Charred bowl rims or nearly burned out bowls are a problem. About the mid-70s many pipemakers switched from vulcanite to lucite stems; vulcanite oxidizes to a dingy gray or orange and take some work to clean up whereas lucite remains shiny black. I think vulcanite is preferable if you chew on the stem, it has some give and makes clenching more comfortable.

Value pipes are handmade or finished and usually have better, less flawed briar. Some old English-made pipes are known for being sweet smokers due to the old briar and engineering and classic shapes. Dunhill, Charatan, and even some of the less pricey Everyman are good pipes though, like everything else, the price has risen. I used to routinely buy Comoy Everyman pipes on ebay for around $20, now they are much more than that restored and in good shape.

Then there the collectibles and hand-mades, a quick tour through the pages of https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/estate/
    will help you identify some of them.

Looking for good smoker. I will post some pictures when I get these.

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 26,379 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2022

Cut some Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs plug up to try in my Michael Morgason Year of the Ox Cob and started smoking it yesterday, continuing today. The flavor is quite dark and rich with little sweetness, I think I’ll have to smoke this a few more times to see if it’s in my wheelhouse and maybe try rubbing it out next time instead of rolling the cut flakes and stuffing it into the pipe. These are dense plugs that burn slowly.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options

Salty Dogs got more tasty towards the bottom of the bowl. I'm going to try rubbing it out next time.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Van Gogh in a 4th Gen.

@Yakster , Try shaving the plug as thin as you can...works nice for me. YMMV...

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

Do you use a grinder or knife or scissors?

• Options

I carefully use an ulu blade but a knife works too.

• Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sharp knife.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

Nice pipe, Rusty.

• Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank ya sir

• Options
    edited January 2022

Edward G. Robinson Pipe Blend paired with Dalmore 12 year in my Christmas OMS Cherrywood Poker that the Wife bought for me, starting the break-in on this pipe. I watched Edward G. Robinson last night in The Red House.

• Options

Trying SG Cabbie's Mixture in my estate Hilson calabash shaped pipe with an acrylic military mount, continuing on with the same pour of the Dalmore 12.

• Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,876 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Nice pipe, Rusty.

I'm not sure how I feel about this comment.....

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Yakster said:
    Trying SG Cabbie's Mixture in my estate Hilson calabash shaped pipe with an acrylic military mount, continuing on with the same pour of the Dalmore 12.

Really? The matte finish on that stem looks like it is a vulcanite stem

• Options

The only rubber on that stem is the softy bit. The acrylic button isn't that comfortable to clench, but this was my first pipe, IIRC, several decades ago.