Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

AJ Blends Just Suck

Comments

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    y2pascoe:
    Wondering how long before Alex shuts this thread down.
    really, why would he?
    we are having an honest discussion about cigars.
    Alex is a reasonable person who understands that not every blender is for every person. if everyone liked the same cigars then Cigar.com would only have one listing in their brands list and the forum would be one dull place to hang out.

i think it takes balls to get on this forum and point out why you dislike one of the forum's favorite blenders. i respect that. he didnt say that AJ was a jerk, or that Alex was stupid for selling that blender's product. he said he was not a fan and explained why.

if i was Alex i might discuss what he has tried and what he has not tried and, based off of that conversation, maybe include something on the next order to change his mind. (and id probably end up running the site out of business. good thing im not Alex.)

in business you win some and you lose some.
    and
    you cant keep 100% of the people happy all of the time.
    I only say that because not too long ago, a forum member publicly expressed some ire over one of AJ Fernandez's latest advertisements (which I thought was great by the way).

The Kid:
    But you have to admit his advertising Rocks!!! ;o)

100% agree with The Kid there. Anyway, the thread was open for a few days and then Alex stepped in and closed the thread.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    But you have to admit his advertising Rocks!!! ;o)
    YUP...LOL
  • Options
    SmokindaddySmokindaddy Posts: 1,107
    Vulchor:
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    Winner winner chicken dinner LOL, seems like we are on the same page.
  • Options
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    But you have to admit AJF's advertising Rocks!!! ;o)
    YUP...LOL
    I'll even agree with that lol
  • Options
    The Kid:
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    Jiunn's hobby involves pooping
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    Next time when you need quick relief try a MF le Bijou,,gauranteed or your money back!!
    +1
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    The Kid:
    catfishbluezz:
    The Kid:
    But you have to admit AJF's advertising Rocks!!! ;o)
    YUP...LOL
    I'll even agree with that lol
    Let me tell ya, one guy on here does NOT agree.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Smokindaddy, we shoudl talk my friend. I also agree totally with your assessment of Tat's......If you also think Padillas suck and ever Torano is average we may have the same palate.
    LOL...me too... Not a huge Tat fan at all...and I love DPG's stuff. I really like the El T brown lancero and I loved the MExican Experiment, otherwise I just cannot get into them. Other then the 50 year, not a Torano fan either. I do like the Padilla Miami though, but that is it from that line.
    Couldn't agree with you more Dustin
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Anyone who does not like AJ's sticks but has some, PM me. There are only a few cigar blends that I actively avoid smoking. But my brothers of the leaf (not just a blender), we need to remember why we are all here. We all enjoy smoking cigars, that's why we're here. We have discussions on this forum because we enjoy hearing about other people's experiences and getting to know one another better. We have the Leaf in common, let's enjoy our cigars together, no matter the blend. Cheers!
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    LOL...me too... Not a huge Tat fan at all...and I love DPG's stuff. I really like the El T brown lancero and I loved the MExican Experiment, otherwise I just cannot get into them. Other then the 50 year, not a Torano fan either. I do like the Padilla Miami though, but that is it from that line.
    Couldn't agree with you more Dustin
    The differences jsut crack me up....stuff you love, I hate, and vice versa. I would agree for the most part on AJ's blends, but he does so much I happen to like a few. As my tastes are changing, I am really only drawn to one which is the Ruination. Most of the stuff I like now is med complex, otherwise I am not interested in the smoking experience. I just like his Maduro's when I don't want to burn a Padron Anny or FR
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    Would you pass the Grey Poupon, please?
    you have plenty of Grey Poupon to go around!
    hey, thats a damn fine mustard.
    lets not bash mustard here.
    geeeeez people.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    I will admit I'm a aj fan! It's not for a particular reason besides you know what to expect. I will agree his blends are very simular and lack complexity but sometimes you just want a cigar you can enjoy without thinking to hard. Yes padrons are awesome and yes some Fuentes suck IMO but at the end of it all it is what it is. Everyone has a opinion and that's what we are all here to discuss. Personally I haven't had anything from Ashton that blew me away and for the price of them wtf!!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    History, celebrations, how classy you look?? I never thought of a cigar as a social statement or status symbol. I smoke 'em because I enjoy them. Sorry, your comments just sound a bit elitist and snobby. MOW are my yard gars.
    Maybe before you depict me at a snob, open up a google page and research cigar history. mainly the 20's through the 50's. I like WW2 history, so what does that make me? Remember, snobby has already been used.
    I could care less about cigar history, only the age of the one I'm smoking, and I'm certainly not going to buy a stick because the name has a history. Do you not like AJ sticks because they have a limited history. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that things other than price and flavor influence your choice. And what really bothers me is that you START a thread just to trash one particular blender. There are lots of blenders I don't care for, so I just don't smoke them. Would you pass the Grey Poupon, please?
    The age or price of AJ sticks has nothing to do with not liking them. Read the review again, Its the BLEND of all his sticks. They all taste the same to me, they offer no difference or complexity. They are over hyped beyond belief. I learned the history behind the hobby because I enjoy it more then picking out stick and lighting up. And yes I picked on particular blender to write a review on, am I not doing it in the right forum, does the top of this thread not say reviews???? Cause if there is another thread that I should be stating how much I don't like AJ blends and sticks, by all means, please let me know. Judging by your latest response, something tells me you have plenty of Grey Poupon to go around!
    As a matter of fact, I hate Grey Poupon. It tastes like crap.
    I'm just curious as to why you made the post. Did you expect only comments from AJ haters? You were obviously expecting a response. Had someone written about a stick, and you didn't care for it, Yes, the proper time and place, but to start a thread in this manner is just strange. Peace brother.
  • Options
    Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    Gaetano7890:
    There is alot I can say to this but to not start a war I deleted it. To me it's like reading one of those fake magazines in the check out line at the super market. Man o War are yard gars and you smoke really expensive sticks etc. I don't think that is so i will leave it at that.
    I find it funny how in a forum for reviews and opinions that a persons review and opinion can be stated to be a lie. Again, sorry If I offended AJ fans!!
    You opinion is fine I'm cool with it people in NY like the red sox I live with it. I just don't think your every day cigars are of such high quaility that man o war would be considered a yard gar. I think it's kinda like I caught a fish this big. And the big thing is before I got on this forum I really didnt know to much about cigars. I had just learned AJ fernadez made like half of my favorite cigars because when MAN o war and Deisel were released there was no name on them. When I learned Aj was responsible for most of the cigars in my humiidor I saiid wow. i like a cigar to kick my ass, when I retrohale I want my eyes to water, and my gut to feel like its on spin cycle that why I love Aj and DPG and if you trade with me thats what your probally gonna get cause that's what I smoke.
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jason, I agree with you on the AJ blends, just don't do it for me on an overall basis. I do enjoy the MOWPA and the MOW Ruination with time on them (at least 18 months) but for the rest of the blends, I have no love. The San Lotano line I wanted to love, tried to love revisited multiple times, now they go to the troops. Another forum member and I have talked about AJ and the seemingly blind love he gets on here and we just don't see it.

Thank goodness people on here understand that we all have different palates and in turn have different tastes in cigars. Thank goodness Alex put this forum up so we have the place and freedom to posts our likes and dislikes about cigars out there and have a civilized discussion about them.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    Back to the review; In my opinion, most AJ blends are the same. I don't get much difference at all. There is nothing that grabs my attention and makes me think I need to buy a box of any of the sticks Ive smoked. I have tried AJ sticks ROTT and aged and have not been impressed. I honestly think that AJ and everything he produces is over hyped due to his training from a known master blender and add to that pricing that would blind and convince anyone to buy mass quantitys of below average sticks. To sum this review up, I am not a fan of AJ Fernandez and probably never will be.
    Jason,

First off, I will say that I've liked only about half of the AJ brands I've smoked. Let's set aside construction/reliability/pricing, etc. because and only talk flavors for a minute...

IMO, a couple were great flavor wise and I'd buy them by the box (AM Recon, SL Habano, MOW 52C), a couple I would never buy again (LHC Core, G2 Turbo) but most were decent and landed square in the middle (5V, SL Oval, Nica Libre).

So I guess where I'm going with this is ---- is there anything specific, flavor wise, you don't like about AJ sticks - i.e. too spicy, too earthy, too woody, etc.??

And on a side note, good for you on refining your palate and getting a sense of what you like and dislike in a cigar - and if you know you don't like AJ then more power to you for being able to figure that out. And I know there's plenty of guys here who have other specific brands they dislike and won't buy as well (cough cough Gurkha, VS)

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    Smokindaddy:
    The Kid:
    jliu:
    catfishbluezz:
    Vulchor:
    Beat.....you might be getting a little bent out of shape over a guys opinion man, and someone loves a hobby may be different to another-----just sayin
    Jiunn's hobby involves pooping
    not to be TMI but I called sick into work today b/c I am incredibly constipated... started yesterday afternoon and I would say after that avo I just had, I feel a bit better
    Next time when you need quick relief try a MF le Bijou,,gauranteed or your money back!!
    +1
    why'd we have to go there --- i keep seeing his jiunn's bowel-movement thread pop up in the cigar 101 section and refuse to click it.... come on now

• Options
    bandyt09:
    Jason, I agree with you on the AJ blends, just don't do it for me on an overall basis. I do enjoy the MOWPA and the MOW Ruination with time on them (at least 18 months) but for the rest of the blends, I have no love. The San Lotano line I wanted to love, tried to love revisited multiple times, now they go to the troops. Another forum member and I have talked about AJ and the seemingly blind love he gets on here and we just don't see it.

Thank goodness people on here understand that we all have different palates and in turn have different tastes in cigars. Thank goodness Alex put this forum up so we have the place and freedom to posts our likes and dislikes about cigars out there and have a civilized discussion about them.
    I'm with you on the San Lotano line, I tried all of them (Thank you JJ!) and just could nto get into any of them. I did like the Oval maduro specifically, but not the price. The MOWPAM as of late I have really taken a liking too after resting a few months.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    Smokindaddy:
    beatnic:
    History, celebrations, how classy you look?? I never thought of a cigar as a social statement or status symbol. I smoke 'em because I enjoy them. Sorry, your comments just sound a bit elitist and snobby. MOW are my yard gars.
    Maybe before you depict me at a snob, open up a google page and research cigar history. mainly the 20's through the 50's. I like WW2 history, so what does that make me? Remember, snobby has already been used.
    I could care less about cigar history, only the age of the one I'm smoking, and I'm certainly not going to buy a stick because the name has a history. Do you not like AJ sticks because they have a limited history. I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that things other than price and flavor influence your choice. And what really bothers me is that you START a thread just to trash one particular blender. There are lots of blenders I don't care for, so I just don't smoke them. Would you pass the Grey Poupon, please?
    The age or price of AJ sticks has nothing to do with not liking them. Read the review again, Its the BLEND of all his sticks. They all taste the same to me, they offer no difference or complexity. They are over hyped beyond belief. I learned the history behind the hobby because I enjoy it more then picking out stick and lighting up. And yes I picked on particular blender to write a review on, am I not doing it in the right forum, does the top of this thread not say reviews???? Cause if there is another thread that I should be stating how much I don't like AJ blends and sticks, by all means, please let me know. Judging by your latest response, something tells me you have plenty of Grey Poupon to go around!
    As a matter of fact, I hate Grey Poupon. It tastes like crap.
    I'm just curious as to why you made the post. Did you expect only comments from AJ haters? You were obviously expecting a response. Had someone written about a stick, and you didn't care for it, Yes, the proper time and place, but to start a thread in this manner is just strange. Peace brother.
    Ok, we finally agree on something, not a huge fan of Grey Poupon. I posted my review and opinion of AJ Fernadez and every thing he puts out. I have tried and tried again a lot of his stuff. Im just not a fan. Yes, I expected to get some haters coming at me, I have been on the forums for long enough to know how well AJ is liked around here. So again, this was the correct place to state my opinion, and again, Im sorry you disagreed with it. To each their own, this is just one just we disagree over, when there are most likely lots we agree on.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    Back to the review; In my opinion, most AJ blends are the same. I don't get much difference at all. There is nothing that grabs my attention and makes me think I need to buy a box of any of the sticks Ive smoked. I have tried AJ sticks ROTT and aged and have not been impressed. I honestly think that AJ and everything he produces is over hyped due to his training from a known master blender and add to that pricing that would blind and convince anyone to buy mass quantitys of below average sticks. To sum this review up, I am not a fan of AJ Fernandez and probably never will be.
    Jason,

First off, I will say that I've liked only about half of the AJ brands I've smoked. Let's set aside construction/reliability/pricing, etc. because and only talk flavors for a minute...

IMO, a couple were great flavor wise and I'd buy them by the box (AM Recon, SL Habano, MOW 52C), a couple I would never buy again (LHC Core, G2 Turbo) but most were decent and landed square in the middle (5V, SL Oval, Nica Libre).

So I guess where I'm going with this is ---- is there anything specific, flavor wise, you don't like about AJ sticks - i.e. too spicy, too earthy, too woody, etc.??

And on a side note, good for you on refining your palate and getting a sense of what you like and dislike in a cigar - and if you know you don't like AJ then more power to you for being able to figure that out. And I know there's plenty of guys here who have other specific brands they dislike and won't buy as well (cough cough Gurkha, VS)
    I think he is referring to the specific AJ spice that is in every blend. After smoking a ton of his cigars, I taste it in every one it seems and honestly....don't like it myself either.
  • Options
    I think we shoudl just all smoke a Padron anny maduro and forget about this, excpet for Kuzi...he gets an LFD.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is my very noob input......... I pick up a CCOM mag or other Internet based mag and it tells me that AJ Fernandez is a Cigar God...... As a noob I might be swayed to buy his stuff. Not because it is "Complex" or uses tabaccos from here or there... but because a MAGAZINE TOLD ME SO. For some of us we just dont know any better. I like AJs stuff... I also like a Calle Ocho I was sent and an Illusione MJ12 I had last night. All pretty different. It may be because my pallet isnt developed. Also, look at his bands.... They JUMP out at you. They say "I am colorfull, BUY ME!" and it works.

I guess its like this...... some of us newer guys dont know any better. All of us have different tastes. Some have different budgets. In the end what is better..... To have a $30 cigar that tastes like $3 or a $3 cigar that tastes like $30. To me. Ive had both.
  • Options
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    Jason,

I think he is referring to the specific AJ spice that is in every blend. After smoking a ton of his cigars, I taste it in every one it seems and honestly....don't like it myself either.
    Fair enough. I don't know if I've smoked enough AJ cigars yet to pick up on the "specific AJ spice", but I don't doubt what you're saying. Makes sense to me --- but I guess I need to keep on smokin'.

• Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I will admit I'm a aj fan! It's not for a particular reason besides you know what to expect. I will agree his blends are very simular and lack complexity but sometimes you just want a cigar you can enjoy without thinking to hard. Yes padrons are awesome and yes some Fuentes suck IMO but at the end of it all it is what it is. Everyone has a opinion and that's what we are all here to discuss. Personally I haven't had anything from Ashton that blew me away and for the price of them wtf!!
    I will totally agree with you on Ashton, and I know what you mean about needing to have that go to cigar, which I do have, and Im lucky enough to know where to get them for about what any AJ line would run me.

In my opinion, and only my opinion, it's reviews like this that help blenders see that there are those of us out there that tried to become fans, but just couldn't.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    I know this thread is going to be very unpopular with a lot of the members of this forum, remember this is just my personal opinion and review, if you do not agree please be kind and respectful.

Through the forums here I have met a lot of amazing people, and getting to know what people like and being able to share what I like has been a great part of the process. I have been very fortunate to have received some awesome sticks from members here due to trades or bombs and just like many of the members here I will try a stick a few times before I completely write it off. That being said....

AJ blends and brands, for me, just suck!! I have tried and revisited a lot of his stuff lately. I know he is known as the budget blender and thats exactly what they are for me. I look at his product and yes I agree the price he offers his stuff at is hard to beat, but to me it really comes down to what kind of cigar smoker you are. Personally I would much rather save a little more of my budget up and buy better quality over having yard gar quantity taking up space in my wineador. Don't get me wrong, I do have my go to stick that I refer to as my yard gar, but I have very few of them. Reason being, getting to smoke a cigar is a treat for me. I smoke a couple times of week and when I do smoke it's not going to be an UHC or Man of War. I could treat cigar smoking as a daily thing but in my opinion it would not have the same meaning behind it as it did when I first got into the hobby. I jumped into this hobby not because cigars tasted good, the first stick I ever smoked was a baccarat, I got into this hobby because of the history behind it. Cigar smoking was once and kind of still is a very classy thing to do. Cigars were smoked for special occasions and to celebrate new life and for the more avid smokers, cigars were a treat or a show of status. Now days with some of the quality of sticks that are out there, and the quantity that are being smoked, is like having a humidor full of 3-5 dollar cigarette singles. Over the past 12 years I have been able to depict what I like in a cigar and what flavor profile does it for me. So now it's just not the history that I enjoy with this hobby.

I know there are a lot of AJ fans out there and Im sorry if what I wrote upsets you. I also know there are a lot of people on the forums that will disagree with some of the brands I love, such as Padron, and thats totally fine. There is one thing I can offer to AJ fans, sticks. If your an AJ fan PM your addy and anytime I get AJ sticks sent my way, I will be more then happy to send them out equally to everyone.
    Man, there is so much wrong with this post. I don't think any of it was intentional though, so the following is meant as constructively as possible.

First, there is no review here. "This sucks" or "This is not complex" are not reviews. Clearly you cannot pick out flavors and your palette just isn't where it need to be to write a review. Mine isn't either, but I don't write reviews. Or you just didn't bother to elaborate, which would be worse. I'm a huge AJ fan, but I didn't open this thread to flame you or defend my tastes. I opened this thread because I was genuinely curious to hear the opinion of a palette clearly very different than mind, and I didn't get that.

Next, you're saying you got some of these sticks through trades and bombs. I don't see why you'd want to point that out. You're basically poo-pooing a cigar that some BOTL was kind enough to gift you. That's terrible. I'm surprised more people haven't pointed that out.

Third, you talk about how smoking every day would cheapen it for you. And you allude to the fact that you'd only smoke MoW or UHC if you smoked every day, and thus had cheapened the hobby. I'm not a daily smoker by any means, but if I was I'd hate to come on here and have someone blindly taking stabs at the way I enjoy the hobby.

Finally, you call AJ fans "blind and convinced to buy mass quantitys[sic] of below average sticks." Wow, really? That's some pretty harsh personal criticism. I can tell you the first MoW I smoked knocked my socks off and I had no idea who AJ Fernandez was at the time and the same happened with the Gurkha Park Ave.

In closing, I'd love to read an actual review you write about AJ in general, maybe with some specific blends talked about and specific flavors and profiles. You can't tell me that a Park Ave tastes like an UHC to you. I hope. So I'd love to know what you find that you don't like or what you look for that you don't find.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    jgibv:
    catfishbluezz:
    jgibv:
    Smokindaddy:
    Jason,

Fair enough. I don't know if I've smoked enough AJ cigars yet to pick up on the "specific AJ spice", but I don't doubt what you're saying. Makes sense to me --- but I guess I need to keep on smokin'.
    Some people refer to it as an earthiness, I jsut figure it's the spice of one of his signature tobacco's or the characteristic of the region he grows in. I can taste it in a ton of his sticks, specifically the Emlio AF2 I had recently.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Smokindaddy:
    Lee.mcglynn:
    I will totally agree with you on Ashton, and I know what you mean about needing to have that go to cigar, which I do have, and Im lucky enough to know where to get them for about what any AJ line would run me.

In my opinion, and only my opinion, it's reviews like this that help blenders see that there are those of us out there that tried to become fans, but just couldn't.
    It's good you found a alternative lol I do admit aj is a fantastic yard gar!! But I do get you if you only smoke from time to time you don't want to waste it on a yard gar! I agree with the fact blenders should get feedback like this and use it wisely. Unfortunately I feel a lot of manufacturers don't care that much as long as they are selling. I feel if they did there would be more making a corona size instead of pushing out huge ring gauges!! But thats just my 2 cents
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    I think we shoudl just all smoke a Padron anny maduro and forget about this, excpet for Kuzi...he gets an LFD.
    oh sweet.
  • Options
    StreaterStreater Posts: 293
    I appreciate your candor, Smokindaddy. In my opinion, nothing you said in your review is inappropriate. Nor do I consider it bad-mouthing. I do, however, disagree. I love AJ products other than the UHC. It just proves the fact that everyone has a different palate. The people responding with belittling arrogance should probably smoke more and *** less. In fact, if they send me their address, I'll help them do just that.

Gosh. Listen to me chastising. I should probably follow my own advice.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Smokindaddy:
    Lee.mcglynn:

It's good you found a alternative lol I do admit aj is a fantastic yard gar!! But I do get you if you only smoke from time to time you don't want to waste it on a yard gar! I agree with the fact blenders should get feedback like this and use it wisely. Unfortunately I feel a lot of manufacturers don't care that much as long as they are selling. I feel if they did there would be more making a corona size instead of pushing out huge ring gauges!! But thats just my 2 cents
    Couldnt agree more!
  • Options
    Lee...people just don't buy corona's and lancero's... And while guys like us love them, we also look for the best price/deal. After spending more time in my B&M....the people that keep the place open are the lines of cattle that buy the biggest cigar they can find, and the infused sticks...